Swears, Insults, Off-Color Language, Stereotypes

aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:29 pm
I love Kathy Bates - in everything she does - but she was especially good in Delores Claiborne.

My new thing is 'Fuckin' A...' whenever I stub my toe or if someone cuts me off or stops short in front of me while driving - it's my new expression of surprise.
I also say, 'Holy ****!' as an expression of awe.
I picked those up from my students.
Lily

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I think it's silly, ugly and confusing, and most of the time bloody unuseful. Most of the time (practicly always) words are spelled exactly as they are pronounced.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:48 pm
@stevecook172001,
I love Cathy Bates as well and I saw Dolores Claiburne but I don't remember that line. Thanks for it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:52 pm
@aidan,
My daughter and one of her friends always said Holy **** when they were amazed. I think of a time when my ex gave our daughter a reproduction of a terrible painting of Alice in Wonderland looking like the Corpse Bride. The reproduction was huge and the original painting was very ugly.

When my daughter saw it, she immediately called her friend, who immediately came over.

"Holy ****!" she said.
Lily

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:07 pm
What I find really intreseting is that cursing is so different in different languages and cultures. One of the first things I learnt in Spanish was "tu madre es una puta", "your mother is a whore", obviously not in class but by a couple of the "bad boys" in class. I've been told that if I said this in a spanish-speaking country I would be in trouble, but if I said it here, Sweden, it would only lead to a shoulder shrug. The worst thing you can say to someone here is probably something discriminating due to a persons gender or race. Political correctness is important to most swedes Wink
stevecook172001

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:02 pm
@Lily,
Lily wrote:

What I find really intreseting is that cursing is so different in different languages and cultures. One of the first things I learnt in Spanish was "tu madre es una puta", "your mother is a whore", obviously not in class but by a couple of the "bad boys" in class. I've been told that if I said this in a spanish-speaking country I would be in trouble, but if I said it here, Sweden, it would only lead to a shoulder shrug. The worst thing you can say to someone here is probably something discriminating due to a persons gender or race. Political correctness is important to most swedes Wink

"Your mother is a whore" or other similar terms of abuse may or may not be offensive. For me, the potential offense is embodied in the intent of the messenger rather than any particular choice of words. In other words, the difference of offence engendered in me by either someone saying they believed my mother was inclined to partake of sexual intercourse with others in return for financial gain or them called my mother a whore, would be neither her nor there.

If anything, I would be more inclined to take offense if the abuse was delivered in the former manner as opposed to the latter as it would indicate a more precise attention to semantic detail.

It's the thought that counts.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:03 pm
@stevecook172001,
i like your statement about intent. That's true.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:23 pm
@Lily,
Lily wrote:

I think it's silly, ugly and confusing, and most of the time bloody unuseful.

Most of the time (practicly always) words are spelled exactly as they are pronounced.
YES!
U r absolutely right that most words r already spelled exactly as thay r pronounced.
I wish that the few aberrant atavistic exceptions be brawt into proper alignment.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:29 pm
@stevecook172001,
Of course, there is the "yo mama . . . " school of humor.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:34 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
NO, no; renting her or a short term lease, at MOST !
aidan wrote:
Is a vagina a mammal?
She is a component element of one, in this particular case.

aidan wrote:
Is that why you had to use the gender specific 'her' instead of the gender neutral 'it'?
No, its because she is female!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

aidan wrote:
Or is a vagina like a car or a boat or something else you go for rides in- you know how people say,
'Let's take her out for a spin...'
Well, in the sense that u can get inside her.

aidan wrote:
David - why didn't you explain that it isn't wrong where we live and learned to read and write
to pronounce the last letter of the alphabet 'ZEE'?
I did not find a need for that; suffice to address the merits of the issue !

aidan wrote:
I think that all of our teachers in all of our years of schooling would be very surprised to learn that they were teaching all of their students through the years the wrong pronunciation for something as fundamental and basic as a letter of the alphabet. Don't you?
Thay 'd reject the premise.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:46 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Hmmmm. I am not sure how to answer this. yes, everyone's heels are rounded.
When I first heard him say that, I asked what he meant.
He replied a woman who is like a "tippy toy," you know, those bulbous things
generally consisting of a ball like body topped by a ball like head.

I think it is a silly expression.
I don 't mean to be difficult,
but I do not understand that.

I do not recognize a "tippy toy", nor its description, nor how it applies to females nor to heels.

I just don 't get your husband 's point.
Mating has no discernable effect upon heels.

I will add the fact that I have never judged any person of either gender to be better nor worse,
by the relative incidence of sexual activity. I don 't see that it is any of my business.

What difference does it make ?

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:54 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
My daughter and one of her friends always said Holy **** when they were amazed. I think of a time when my ex gave our daughter a reproduction of a terrible painting of Alice in Wonderland looking like the Corpse Bride. The reproduction was huge and the original painting was very ugly.

When my daughter saw it, she immediately called her friend, who immediately came over.

"Holy ****!" she said.
The World woud be a better place
if no one engaged in excrementitious references, except in case of sanitary necessity.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:43 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Of course, there is the "yo mama . . . " school of humor.

exactly
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:11 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I totally disagree with David's campaign: there are far too many American accents to use phonetic English.

Laughing
Yes. Yes there are.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:47 pm
@Lily,
Lily wrote:
What I find really intreseting is that cursing is so different in different languages and cultures. One of the first things I learnt in Spanish was "tu madre es una puta", "your mother is a whore", obviously not in class but by a couple of the "bad boys" in class. I've been told that if I said this in a spanish-speaking country I would be in trouble, but if I said it here, Sweden, it would only lead to a shoulder shrug. The worst thing you can say to someone here is probably something discriminating due to a persons gender or race.

Political correctness is important to most swedes Wink
I go out of my way to be politically rong; I fight against political correctness.
UNfortunately, I 've found that sometimes, thay agree with me.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:50 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I totally disagree with David's campaign: there are far too many American accents to use phonetic English.
The predominant one (MINE) will prevail. Its Manifest Destiny.

plainoldme wrote:
Now, David, can you come back to discussing swears?
Upon my OATH !

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 09:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's okay. You misunderstood my statement that I didn't know how to answer your observation that everyone's heels are round. I did think I described tippy toy well.

By saying a woman has round heels, my ex was saying that she was an easy lay. In other words, all you had to do to have sex with her was to just nudge her shoulder a bit and she would fall on her back.

I thought you understood the metaphor and that you were commenting upon how silly it was because everyone has round heels. When I said I didn't know how to answer your comment, it was because I thought simply saying how silly it a false comparison is.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 09:43 pm
@Eorl,
Thanks! Wink
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:29 pm
The notion of a woman thinking with her vagina came up earlier. At the time, I was thinking of a parallel situation to a man thinking with his other head but a pregnant woman protective of the child she bears might be said to think with her vagina, although thinking with her uterus is more appropriate.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:59 pm
I have to confess that there is a man who I think deserves the C word. Puts me in a tight spot!