Swears, Insults, Off-Color Language, Stereotypes

ebrown p

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:05 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Women use the word dickhead obliquely, as in, "He is thinking with his other head."

What is it called when women think with their vagina?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:06 am
@ebrown p,
I'm UNCOMFORTABLE not spelling out either!

I just don't want to upset the women who find it upsetting and I should have typed Richard nickname because it is somewhat funny.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:08 am
@ebrown p,
They're whoring. That was an immediate response to your good and well timed question. They are easy, hot-to-trot.

My ex-husband would have said they have "round heels," which is too oblique for my taste.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:08 am
I am enjoying this! Great discussion, people!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:22 am
@plainoldme,
Whoring is a woman selling her vagina. The vagina takes a very passive role in the deal; the owner of the vagina is making the decision. In the dickhead metaphor, the penis is actively doing the thinking (and the owner of the penis is presumably passively going along). These two ideas are quite a bit different.

I don't think there are any metaphors in American culture where the vagina is anthropomorphized the way the penis is. The vagina never seems to have a will of its own-- whereas the idea that men are controlled by their penises is pretty common.

The idea that men are controlled by their genitals is derogatory.

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:27 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
The idea that men are controlled by their genitals is derogatory.

personally i don't give a crap about what's derogatory, it's only derogatory if you let it be so, that aside, men are also controlled by other's genitalia, they can be said to be pussy whipped
Gargamel

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:30 am
If someone near me--or even someone speaking directly to me--is overcome with "diarrhea of the mouth," I simply cover my ears. If they persist, I tell them I am going to go find "cleaner air," and walk away.

P.S. I have yet to successfully experience the physical act of love.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:54 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Women use the word dickhead obliquely, as in, "He is thinking with his other head."
ebrown p wrote:
What is it called when women think with their vagina?
Do women share one vagina ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Eorl wrote:
ez ? what does ez sound like phonetically?
Here and in Europe it would be "ee-zedd"
NO, the ee is OK, but no zeds; its zeeeeee

sorry - you're wrong - it's zed
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:36 am
@engineer,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Applying this to chicks makes no sense. It defies logic.
engineer wrote:
Swear words are not supposed to be logical.
Words of any kind r symbolic of ideas, for which thay serve as vehicles; in the absence of logic, there is chaos.
That is unintelligible.

engineer wrote:
They are supposed to evoke a visceral, immediate response.
Agreed; that is their purpose.

engineer wrote:
It's all about shock value.
SO STIPULATED.

engineer wrote:
A woman being called a bitch is not going to logically consider the word
and think that female dogs are friendly and nuturing so she must
have just received a compliment.
Yes; an unrelated meaning was engrafted onto the definition; an alternate definition, to wit:
an unfriendly, ill-tempered, complaining and impatient girl or woman.
By WHAT etymology have these 2 disparate ideas been united in one word ??

engineer wrote:
When I was much younger, my younger brother was very upset at me and wanted to curse,
but knew he couldn't in front of his family, so he yelled out "son of a female dog!"
It was all I could do to not laugh out loud. In cursing, "bitch" carries a lot more weight that "female dog!"
In alleging that someone is the son of a bitch, u claim that he and his mother r dogs,
who used to be deemed very dirty creatures because in efforts to survive,
thay rooted thru garbage, somewhat like pigs.

In his negative emotion, your younger brother failed to notice
that he was identifying his own mom as a dog,
and hence, himself as a son thereof, in addition to u.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:48 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
Personally, I would not use such a term to describe a lady.
I 'll take your word for what u 'd not do.

Intrepid wrote:
But then again, I would use the word dickhead to describe some members of my own gender.
That does not relate; its semi-oxymoronic.

David
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:52 am
@djjd62,
Quote:

personally i don't give a crap about what's derogatory, it's only derogatory if you let it be so, that aside, men are also controlled by other's genitalia, they can be said to be pussy whipped

I don't care about what is derogatory either, other then as an intellectual exercise. The narrative we put around male and female genitalia is interesting.

The "pussy whipped" example is an interesting counter-example to the generalization I was trying to make. In this case the vagina is actively doing something-- although the object is still the same. Apparently men can be controlled by either penises or vaginas.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:55 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
They're whoring. That was an immediate response to your good and well timed question. They are easy, hot-to-trot.

My ex-husband would have said they have "round heels," which is too oblique for my taste.
EVERYONE's heels r rounded. What shape did your husband want them to be ??
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:59 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Whoring is a woman selling her vagina.
NO, no; renting her or a short term lease, at MOST !

David
aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
NO, no; renting her or a short term lease, at MOST !

Is a vagina a mammal? Is that why you had to use the gender specific 'her' instead of the gender neutral 'it'?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Or is a vagina like a car or a boat or something else you go for rides in- you know how people say, 'Let's take her out for a spin...'

David - why didn't you explain that it isn't wrong where we live and learned to read and write to pronounce the last letter of the alphabet 'ZEE'?

I think that all of our teachers in all of our years of schooling would be very surprised to learn that they were teaching all of their students through the years the wrong pronunciation for something as fundamental and basic as a letter of the alphabet. Don't you?
stevecook172001

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:59 pm
buggery ******* wankery cunting bollocky cock

Look see folks, no-one died, no one was hurt. Just a series of letters strung together

Now, how about all of those insidiously and pointlessly violent, blood soaked movies and other media images we like to call "entertainment"? ....

Not to mention the constant barrage of advertisments, designed to make you feel like **** until you buy whatever **** it is they are selling. You may have heard the line..."never read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly".

There's lots and lots of stuff in this cruel and broken world to get worked up about.

Swearing really isn't one of them.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hmmmm. I am not sure how to answer this. yes, everyone's heels are rounded. When I first heard him say that, I asked what he meant. He replied a woman who is like a "tippy toy," you know, those bulbous things generally consisting of a ball like body topped by a ball like head.

I think it is a silly expression.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:09 pm
My mother seldom swore. She did make up her own phrases to express her anger. She would use them for a year or two then invent another. Generally, they were based upon something from popular culture, a character in a book or the title of a movie. She was consistent in that. When she did swear, you knew she was very angry. Funny, I can't remember which curse words she used.

My dad, on the other hand, swore like a fishmonger but whether he still does, I don't know. Our phone conversations never make him angry.

(An aside: I am having a hard time typing. My hands are stiff and sweaty from the heat. They are probably a bit swollen.)

My father, however, disapproves of women swearing. I used to call Richard M. Nixon, "Prixon," a condensation of President Nixon. My father hated that although he disliked Nixon. I suspect had one of my brothers said it, he would have found it amusing.

My ex also swore vibrantly and enthusiastically. He hated to hear me say anything off color. Were I to call a woman a bitch, he would become angry. So, taking a cue from my childhood, I started calling bitches, "Valkyries" or said that they were "on wheels." He appreciated those expressions, especially the valkyries one.

Basically, to call someone a "buffoon" is more accurate and more insulting than to call them a jerk or an asshole.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:15 pm
When I came home from the Navy and found myself in a conversation with my mother, I commented about someone that had made a grievous error, "He sure did-" At that point my Mom cut her eyes at me, stopping me in mid sentence. "He sure messed that up," I muttered. It was a long time before I could swear again.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:18 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

My mother seldom swore. She did make up her own phrases to express her anger. She would use them for a year or two then invent another. Generally, they were based upon something from popular culture, a character in a book or the title of a movie. She was consistent in that. When she did swear, you knew she was very angry. Funny, I can't remember which curse words she used.

My dad, on the other hand, swore like a fishmonger but whether he still does, I don't know. Our phone conversations never make him angry.

(An aside: I am having a hard time typing. My hands are stiff and sweaty from the heat. They are probably a bit swollen.)

My father, however, disapproves of women swearing. I used to call Richard M. Nixon, "Prixon," a condensation of President Nixon. My father hated that although he disliked Nixon. I suspect had one of my brothers said it, he would have found it amusing.

My ex also swore vibrantly and enthusiastically. He hated to hear me say anything off color. Were I to call a woman a bitch, he would become angry. So, taking a cue from my childhood, I started calling bitches, "Valkyries" or said that they were "on wheels." He appreciated those expressions, especially the valkyries one.

Basically, to call someone a "buffoon" is more accurate and more insulting than to call them a jerk or an asshole.

I'll tell you the most poetic swearing I ever heard is Cathy Bates in Dolores Claiborne.

After a lifetime of abuse and bad luck, when she wishes to fully express her feelings, she comes out with the line....

"Now, you listen to me, Mr. Grand High Poobah of Upper Buttcrack, I'm just about half-past give a **** with your fun and games...."

I nearly pissed myself laughing when I heard her say that.

Which was just as well, because if I hadn't I would have cried.