Afghanastan - Obama's war of choosing

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:50 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
Given that Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi and given that, virtually to a man, the terrorists who blew up the twin-towers were Saudi then no, the USA government should not ordered the invasion of Afghanistan. They should have, by their own logic, have ordered the invasion of Saudi Arabia.

Steve, you do know that Obama was in Afghanistan right? You do know that the Taliban refused to give him up, right?

What evidence do you have that he was there any more than he was in Pakistan? He and his followers were all over the Frigging middle East. You could have used this pretext to attack any one of Saudi, Pakistan, etc.

Afghanistan was chosen because it is the strategic gateway to the oil. Next stop, Iran, eh?

That one's going to be a bit tricky to pull off though since the USA has used up most of it's little box of pretexts. It can't use the "weapons of mass destruction" tactic and it has no current "bad guy" to focus the public's attention on. Never mind, I'm sure your government will dream up some piece of bullshit up to serve up to it's infantilised population come the time.
parados

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:57 am
@stevecook172001,
Wow.. You really are that ignorant, aren't you steve.

From August 1998
Quote:
In an interview with the BBC Pashto Service from the Taleban Islamic Movement headquarters in Kandihar in south-western Afghanistan, Mullah Omar said no amount of temptation or coercion can force the Taleban to hand over Osama bin Laden to the American or Pakistan governments.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/154084.stm

Both Saudi Arabia and Pakistan were prepared to give Osama to the US.

If oil was the objective, Saudi Arabia has the largest known reserves in the world. Your ignorance runs pretty deep steve.

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:00 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Wow.. You really are that ignorant, aren't you steve.

From August 1998
Quote:
In an interview with the BBC Pashto Service from the Taleban Islamic Movement headquarters in Kandihar in south-western Afghanistan, Mullah Omar said no amount of temptation or coercion can force the Taleban to hand over Osama bin Laden to the American or Pakistan governments.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/154084.stm

If oil was the objective, Saudi Arabia has the largest known reserves in the world. Your ignorance runs pretty deep steve.

So, your contention is that, for the sake of revenge on one man, your government caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children. Can you not see how sickening this kind of after the fact rationalising of mass muder is?

Your government has built up a deep well of hatred for your country, the price of which will be paid for at least a lifetime.

Like the German public 70 years ago, your public will only face the horrors of what has been done in their name when their backs are up againt the wall.
parados

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:16 am
@stevecook172001,
Quote:

So, your contention is that, for the sake of revenge on one man, your government caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children. Can you not see how sickening this kind of after the fact rationalising of mass muder is?

No, that would be your strawman. But it seems you don't want to discuss the actual facts of the issue. You want to make stuff up and declare anyone that disagrees with you is a mass murderer. Not only are you an idiot steve. It appears you are quite happy being an idiot in public.
stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:19 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

No, that would be your strawman. But it seems you don't want to discuss the actual facts of the issue. You want to make stuff up and declare anyone that disagrees with you is a mass murderer. Not only are you an idiot steve. It appears you are quite happy being an idiot in public.

The reason The USA did not go into Saudi or Pakistan is because they are our "friends". One must conclude that this is also the reason a blind eye is turned to the festering open prison that is Palestine.

Returning to Afghanistan, what was the reason for invading again, if you don't mind enlightening me? Perhaps, at the same time, you might care to explain how virtually every placew that US troops are stationed around the world is near to or strategically placed with regards to hydrocarbons.
xris

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:36 am
@stevecook172001,
Firstly I'm not an American and secondly I dont agree with America on its support of the Israelites in Palestine. I did not agree with the support of the Taliban when it was convenient and I dont think a purely military attitude towards Afghanistan will succeed. BUT you wont answer the damned question either , will you? Would you walk away from our promises, no matter if we where right or wrong to enter Afghanistan. We are there, what would you do? Do you care what **** we leave them in? Do you care about the reprisals the Taliban would take...do you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:30 am
@stevecook172001,
Quote:

Returning to Afghanistan, what was the reason for invading again, if you don't mind enlightening me? Perhaps, at the same time, you might care to explain how virtually every placew that US troops are stationed around the world is near to or strategically placed with regards to hydrocarbons.

That is an interesting argument steve -
North Korea?
Japan?
Germany?

We have had troops in those countries since the 50's. Where exactly are the hydrocarbons?

In 2008 there were more US troops in Western Europe than in Afghanistan.
JTT

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:20 pm
@xris,
You started an illegal invasion and you should continue with it? That makes little sense, Xris.
JTT

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:39 pm
@parados,
Quote:
That is an interesting argument steve -
North Korea?
Japan?
Germany?

We have had troops in those countries since the 50's. Where exactly are the hydrocarbons?

That is stupidity in the extreme, Parados, or a diversionary tangent on the order of a Tico.

Now, if you really put your mind to it, you can probably figure out why the US has troops in those areas.
xris

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:39 pm
@JTT,
Your ignoring the consequences of our withdrawal. This self righteous approach to a pragmatic question is total ignorance. You appear to want to make an moral judgement without concern for the consequences. I dont care about your objections to an ill conceived invasion, I want to know why you would leave them to an unmerciful death by a bunch of evil bandits.
JTT

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:17 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Steve, you do know that Obama was in Afghanistan right?

Parados, you do know that there are many terrorists in the USA, right? Just one example, and note, one terrorist, Orlando Bosch, was actually pardoned by Bush senior.

Quote:

Published on Friday, May 13, 2005 by the Inter Press Service
A Terrorist Comes Home to Roost
by Jim Lobe

WASHINGTON -- The sudden and untimely arrival on U.S. territory of a former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) asset and admitted terrorist, Luis Posada Carriles, poses an embarrassing challenge to the credibility of the Bush administration's war on terrorism.

Posada, who in an interview with the New York Times seven years ago admitted to organizing a wave of bombings in Cuba in 1997 that killed an Italian tourist and injured 11 others, is best known as the prime suspect in the bombing of a Cubana Airlines flight shortly after it took off from Barbados in October 1976.

The incident, in which all 73 crew members and passengers including teenaged members of Cuba's national fencing team were killed, was the first confirmed mid-air terrorist bombing of a commercial airliner.

Then-President George Bush in 1990 pardoned Orlando Bosch, another Cuban exile opposed to President Fidel Castro and implicated in the plot, overruling a strong U.S. Justice Department opinion that called for Bosch's deportation.

Posada, who also worked for the operation supplying ''Contra'' rebels in Central America in the mid-1980s until the Iran-Contra scandal broke open with the downing of one of its planes, was also convicted of conspiring to assassinate Castro during a 2000 visit to Panama. A Panamanian court sentenced him to eight years in prison in 2004 but he was unexpectedly pardoned by outgoing President Mireya Moscosa last September and flew to Honduras.

Despite all the rhetoric, ie. propaganda, it's easy to see, save for the willfully blind, just how brutal and uncaring the USA is when it comes to weighing the interest of dirty foreigners and US economic interests.

Quote:
Afghanistan, the CIA, bin Laden, and the Taliban

by Phil Gasper

The U.S. war on Afghanistan is a brutal attack on a country that has already been almost destroyed by more than 20 years of foreign invasion and civil war.' The Soviet occupation, which lasted from 1979 to 1989, left more than a million people dead. Millions still live in refugee camps More than 500,000 orphans are disabled. Ten million land mines still litter the country, killing an average of 90 people per month. At 43 years, life expectancy in Afghanistan is on average 17 years lower than that for people in other developing countries. The countryside is devastated and is currently experiencing a severe drought, with 7.5 million people threatened with starvation. The death and destruction wrought by the U.S. bombing campaign-and the cut off of food aid deliveries it has caused-have already killed hundreds and produced thousands more refugees scrambling to escape into Pakistan.

But not only is Washington attacking one of the poorest countries in the world, past U.S. government actions are in no small part responsible for the current situation in Afghanistan. The Bush administration claims to be targeting Osama bin Laden, who it says masterminded the September 11 terror attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon (even though it has offered no concrete evidence to back up this accusation), and Afghanistan's Taliban government, which is sheltering him. But as the Economist magazine noted soon after September 11, " [U.S.] policies in Afghanistan a decade and more ago helped to create both Osama bin Laden and the fundamentalist Taliban regime that shelters him." An examination of this history will reveal the extent to which U.S. foreign policy is based on hypocrisy, realpolitik, and the short-term pursuit of narrow interests.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Afghanistan/Afghanistan_CIA_Taliban.html

Quote:
The Carter administration was well aware that in backing the mujahideen it was supporting forces with reactionary social goals, but this was outweighed by its own geopolitical interests. In August 1979, a classified State Department report bluntly asserted that "the United States' larger interest...would be served by the demise of the Taraki-Amin regime, despite whatever setbacks this might mean for future social and economic reforms in Afghanistan."

That same month, in a stunning display of hypocrisy, State Department spokesperson Hodding Carter piously announced that the U.S. "expect[s] the principle of nonintervention to be respected by all parties in the area, including the Soviet Union."

Ibid

Quote:
The objective of the intervention, as spelled out by Brezinski, was to trap the Soviets in a long and costly war designed to drain their resources, just as Vietnam had bled the United States. The high level of civilian casualties that this would certainly entail was considered but set aside. According to one senior official,

"The question here was whether it was morally acceptable that, in order to keep the Soviets off balance, which was the reason for the operation, it was permissible to use other lives for our geopolitical interests." Carter's CIA director Stansfield Turner answered the question: "I decided I could live with that."

According to Representative Charles Wilson, a Texas Democrat,

There were 58,000 dead in Vietnam and we owe the Russians one.... I have a slight obsession with it, because of Vietnam. I thought the Soviets ought to get a dose of it.... I've been of the opinion that this money was better spent to hurt our adversaries than other money in the Defense Department budget.

Ibid

So, Pardos, one has to ask how anyone, you included, of course, could sit there and offer vacuous distractions for a government, your government, that was and is more than willing to USE AND SEVERELY ABUSE innocent men, women and children for such sordid reasons.

There's more:

Quote:
To hurt the Russians, the U.S. deliberately chose to give the most support to the most extreme groups. A disproportionate share of U.S. arms went to Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, "a particularly fanatical fundamentalist and woman-hater."' According to journalist Tim Weiner, " [Hekmatyar's] followers first gained attention by throwing acid in the faces of women who refused to wear the veil. CIA and State Department officials I have spoken with call him 'scary,' 'vicious,' 'a fascist,' 'definite dictatorship material."

There was, though, a kind of method in the madness: Brezinski hoped not just to drive the Russians out of Afghanistan, but to ferment unrest within the Soviet Union itself. His plan, says author Dilip Hiro, was "to export a composite ideology of nationalism and Islam to the Muslim-majority Central Asian states and Soviet Republics with a view to destroying the Soviet order." Looking back in 1998, Brezinski had no regrets. "What was more important in the world view of history?... A few stirred-up Muslims or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the Cold War>"

Ibid

I've stopped highlighting because I can't determine what to highlight. The viciousness of the USA and its minions really knows no bounds.

Who caused this whole worldwide problem of terrorist attacks? I'll give you two guesses.

Quote:
Over the past 10 years, the "Afghani" network has been linked to terrorist attacks not only on U.S. targets, but also in the Philippines, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, France, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, China, Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, and elsewhere. "This is an insane instance of the chickens coming home to roost," one U.S. diplomat in Pakistan told the Los Angeles Times. "You can't plug billions of dollars into an anti-Communist jihad, accept participation from all over the world and ignore the consequences." But we did.

Ibid

As is always the case, the USA thought that all these innocents butchered, by their hand, should not go to waste.

Quote:
In 1994, a new group, the Taliban (Pashtun for "students"), emerged on the scene. Its members came from madrassas set up by the Pakistani government along the border and funded by the U.S., Britain, and the Saudis, where they had received theological indoctrination and military training. Thousands of young men-refugees and orphans from the war in Afghanistan-became the foot soldiers of this movement:

Why you ask?

Quote:
The U.S. government was well aware of the Taliban's reactionary program, yet it chose to back their rise to power in the mid-1990s. The creation of the Taliban was "actively encouraged by the ISI and the CIA," according to Selig Harrison, an expert on U.S. relations with Asia. "The United States encouraged Saudi Arabia and Pakistan to support the Taliban, certainly right up to their advance on Kabul," adds respected journalist Ahmed Rashid. When the Taliban took power, State Department spokesperson Glyn Davies said that he saw "nothing objectionable" in the Taliban's plans to impose strict Islamic law, and Senator Hank Brown, chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on the Near East and South Asia, welcomed the new regime: "The good part of what has happened is that one of the factions at last seems capable of developing a new government in Afghanistan." "The Taliban will probably develop like the Saudis. There will be Aramco [the consortium of oil companies that controlled Saudi oil], pipelines, an emir, no parliament and lots of Sharia law. We can live with that," said another U.S. diplomat in 1997.

The reference to oil and pipelines explains everything. Since the collapse of the USSR at the end of 1991, U.S. oil companies and their friends in the State Department have been salivating at the prospect of gaining access to the huge oil and natural gas reserves in the former Soviet republics bordering the Caspian Sea and in Central Asia. These have been estimated as worth $4 trillion. The American Petroleum Institute calls the Caspian region "the area of greatest resource potential outside of the Middle East." And while he was still CEO of Halliburton, the world's biggest oil services company, Vice President Dick Cheney told other industry executives, "I can't think of a time when we've had a region emerge as suddenly to become as strategically significant as the Caspian." The struggle to control these stupendous resources has given rise to what Rashid has dubbed the "new Great Game," pitting shifting alliances of governments and oil and gas consortia against one another.

Afghanistan itself has no known oil or gas reserves, but it is an attractive route for pipelines leading to Pakistan, India, and the Arabian Sea. In the mid-1990s, a consortium led by the California-based Unocal Corporation proposed a $4.5 billion oil and gas pipeline from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan to Pakistan. But this would require a stable central government in Afghanistan itself. Thus began several years in which U.S. policy in the region centered on "romancing the Taliban." According to one report,

In the months before the Taliban took power, former U.S. assistant secretary of state for South Asia Robin Raphel waged an intense round of shuttle diplomacy between the powers with possible stakes in the [Unocal] project.

Read on. It's sickening but it's essential.

JTT

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:23 pm
@xris,
Quote:
Your ignoring the consequences of our withdrawal.

Your ignoring pretty much anything that is of importance in this, Xris. I am not being self righteous because I have nothing to be self righteous about. I am pointing out the terrible destruction that has been heaped upon the people of Afghanistan by western powers, most notably the USA.

It is not in anyone's interests to let these vermin have any say whatsoever in how things play out for the Afghans.

You keep talking about the promises. What promises? While any good thoughts were going on, the back door deals illustrate just the type of "caring" the USA, the UK, Canada, etc. has for the Afghans.
parados

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:41 pm
@JTT,
Hey JTT. If you want to play stupid go play somewhere else. I was responding to steve's statement. Read his statement and then tell me why you are arguing with my pointing out his "facts" were wrong. Clearly we didn't put troops in Germany, Japan and Korea because of hydrocarbons but read steve's statement and tell us if you agree with him.
parados

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:43 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Parados, you do know that there are many terrorists in the USA, right? Just one example, and note, one terrorist, Orlando Bosch, was actually pardoned by Bush senior.
Is the US government refusing to turn over those terrorists for prosecution? Oh, you are just throwing out crap instead of discussing the actual issue. What else is new in your world?
parados

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:45 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
So, Pardos, one has to ask how anyone, you included, of course, could sit there and offer vacuous distractions for a government, your government, that was and is more than willing to USE AND SEVERELY ABUSE innocent men, women and children for such sordid reasons.

I have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. I have the feeling you have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to "vacuous distractions."
I have not offered any vacuous distractions nor have I seen anyone else do that. You on the other hand have offered some vacuous statements in an attempt to distract from other issues.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:50 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Your ignoring the consequences of our withdrawal.

Your ignoring pretty much anything that is of importance in this, Xris. I am not being self righteous because I have nothing to be self righteous about. I am pointing out the terrible destruction that has been heaped upon the people of Afghanistan by western powers, most notably the USA.

It is not in anyone's interests to let these vermin have any say whatsoever in how things play out for the Afghans.

You keep talking about the promises. What promises? While any good thoughts were going on, the back door deals illustrate just the type of "caring" the USA, the UK, Canada, etc. has for the Afghans.

Yes

I'm ashamed of of what has been done in my name by my f*cking government. I, and at least three million others marched on our capital to no avail.

There is no democracy. There is no liberty. There's just them and the rest of us.

The only thing they will ever understand is a wall against their backs.
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:54 pm
This has become a really interesting discussion. Reading along with great interest.

Please continue now ..
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:13 pm
@stevecook172001,
Three million? When was that?

Is that like the "hundreds of thousands of murdered..."?
JTT

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:52 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Clearly we didn't put troops in Germany, Japan and Korea because of hydrocarbons but read steve's statement and tell us if you agree with him.

Parados, come on, you are way way smarter than that. Steve didn't mean every country for oil.

Germany, containment, same for Japan and Korea. Having bases all around the world makes it easier to go where the wealth/hydrocarbons/oil is at.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:07 pm
@parados,
Quote:

As was the Taliban. Both Bush and Clinton ignored chances to have Osama delivered thru a third country. But why even go after Osama for 9-11. The FBI doesn't believe there is enough to issue a warrant for Osama for 9-11.

Quote:

Did you not read the article?

Quote:
When the Taliban took power, State Department spokesperson Glyn Davies said that he saw "nothing objectionable" in the Taliban's plans to impose strict Islamic law, and Senator Hank Brown, chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on the Near East and South Asia, welcomed the new regime:

"The good part of what has happened is that one of the factions at last seems capable of developing a new government in Afghanistan." "The Taliban will probably develop like the Saudis. There will be Aramco [the consortium of oil companies that controlled Saudi oil], pipelines, an emir, no parliament and lots of Sharia law. We can live with that," said another U.S. diplomat in 1997.

The reference to oil and pipelines explains everything. Since the collapse of the USSR at the end of 1991, U.S. oil companies and their friends in the State Department have been salivating at the prospect of gaining access to the huge oil and natural gas reserves in the former Soviet republics bordering the Caspian Sea and in Central Asia. These have been estimated as worth $4 trillion. The American Petroleum Institute calls the Caspian region "the area of greatest resource potential outside of the Middle East."

And while he was still CEO of Halliburton, the world's biggest oil services company, Vice President Dick Cheney told other industry executives, "I can't think of a time when we've had a region emerge as suddenly to become as strategically significant as the Caspian." The struggle to control these stupendous resources has given rise to what Rashid has dubbed the "new Great Game," pitting shifting alliances of governments and oil and gas consortia against one another.

Afghanistan itself has no known oil or gas reserves, but it is an attractive route for pipelines leading to Pakistan, India, and the Arabian Sea. In the mid-1990s, a consortium led by the California-based Unocal Corporation proposed a $4.5 billion oil and gas pipeline from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan to Pakistan. But this would require a stable central government in Afghanistan itself. Thus began several years in which U.S. policy in the region centered on "romancing the Taliban."

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Afghanistan/Afghanistan_CIA_Taliban.html

Speaking of ignorance, the citizenry of the USA ranks among the highest, even the ones who purport to care.

0 Replies