Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:12 pm
@Roberta,
Howie looks like he has a secret...

happy new year, B.
Roberta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:25 pm
@Rockhead,
If he had a secret, RH, he probably would not have told me. I was busy standing up. Not interested in his steekin' secret.

Happy new year back atcha.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 02:01 am
I can't tell you all how many times I've been back to this thread--to read, to look at the pictures.

In rereading, I noticed that I mentioned my hair a number of times. Thought about it. Worth discussing? I think so.

Just to make sure that my memory is close to accurate, I googled "Jewish women, crowning glory." Got many, many hits. My memory is still functioning moderately well.

This starts with my maternal grandmother. It was she who told me that a goil's hair is her crowning glory. You dasn't cut it. (She always said dasn't.)

As a young woman, she had beautiful, silky light brown hair. She NEVER cut her hair. She braided it every morning and put it up in a grandma bun with hairpins. At night, she brushed it out and wore it long to bed.

My mother's hair and her sister's hair (eccentric aunt) was steel woolly, coarse, and curly/kinky.

My hair was extremely dark, silky, slightly wavy, and thick.

My grandmother loved my hair. She loved to braid it. Pigtails.

My mother and aunt felt that my hair was too straight. Hey, it wasn't like theirs. My mother dragged me to the beauty parlor to get a permanent. Back it those days, perms were smelly and slightly painful. I withstood the experience the first time. Didn't know what I was gonna get. Friz. Kink. Friz. The second time I resisted mightily. Screamed. Ran. Cried. I got one more perm (she was bigger than me). That was it! My grandfather interceded. Got her to leave my hair alone.

As I got older, my hair got wavier/curlier by itself. No chemicals allowed.

I loved my hair. The color. The feel. And my grandmother loved my hair. Whenever I got a haircut, she cried.

I always believed (and still do) that I look better with short hair:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/meshorthair002-1.jpg

I went to fancy shmancy hair salons. Got expensive haircuts.

But no matter how good it looked, unintentionally, I always let it grow:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/megreencoat.jpg

And grow:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/meNorway.jpg

(Note: I never colored my hair. This picture was taken in Norway. After 12 days in Scandinavia, my hair got lighter. Go figure.)

And grow:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/meandmkitchen.jpg

It wasn't that I liked the way it looked long. I just loved the hair itself, long. In thinking back, I'm convinced that my grandmother's words worked their way into my unconscious. My crowning glory.

The last time I saw my grandmother, she was in a nursing home. I stepped through the doorway and gasped. Her hair had been cut bluntly across and just hung there, slightly above her shoulders. Tears welled up in my eyes. They cut her hair! It was too hard to take care of.

I hoped that her senility would blind her to what had been done. She rarely knew who I was. Maybe she wouldn't notice her hair. I went in and greeted grandma. She thought I was her sister, who had died maybe sixty years ago. I went along with it. Then she started to cry. She grabbed the ends of her hair and said, "Look what they did to me." I cried too. Her crowning glory, I thought. Those were the next words out of her mouth, "My crowning glory."

I gave her a hug. What could I do? Sighing with this memory. Maybe a little weepy. They took her crowning glory--and her dignity.

I haven't been to a beauty salon in decades. My hair is long. Not as luxurious as it used to be. But I like it.

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 02:24 am
@Roberta,
(Hooray, this wonderful thread is back! I'm so pleased, Roberta! Very Happy )

Quote:
I loved my hair. The color. The feel. And my grandmother loved my hair.

Looking at your photographs, I can see why.
Your grandmother was right.

Quote:
I went to fancy shmancy hair salons. Got expensive haircuts.

But no matter how good it looked, unintentionally, I always let it grow

And it looked terrific!
So much more "you" (as I see you) than the shorter version.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/megreencoat.jpg

Quote:
It wasn't that I liked the way it looked long. I just loved the hair itself, long. In thinking back, I'm convinced that my grandmother's words worked their way into my unconscious. My crowning glory.

Yes.
Beautiful strong hair.

Quote:

The last time I saw my grandmother, she was in a nursing home. I stepped through the doorway and gasped. Her hair had been cut bluntly across and just hung there, slightly above her shoulders. Tears welled up in my eyes. They cut her hair! It was too hard to take care of.

I hoped that her senility would blind her to what had been done. She rarely knew who I was. Maybe she wouldn't notice her hair. I went in and greeted grandma. She thought I was her sister, who had died maybe sixty years ago. I went along with it. Then she started to cry. She grabbed the ends of her hair and said, "Look what they did to me." I cried too. Her crowning glory, I thought. Those were the next words out of her mouth, "My crowning glory."

I gave her a hug. What could I do? Sighing with this memory. Maybe a little weepy. They took her crowning glory--and her dignity.

Oh! That is terribly sad.
"Look what they did to me."
I think I would have cried, too.

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 02:37 am
Glad you're glad this thread is alive again.

Just remembered something hair-related. I can't tell you how difficult it was for me to have my head shaved for the brain surgery. Almost physically painful. Sigh.
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 02:54 am
@Roberta,
Ah. I can imagine, with no trouble at all, how hard that was for you, Roberta.
A terribly confronting thing to have to go through.
I'm so sorry you had to go though it at all.

So, at what stage is your hair regrowth at now, after that experience?
Getting near long-ish (where it ought to be Smile ) yet?
Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:01 am
@msolga,
Not longish yet, but when I pull my hair back in a pony tail, I usually don't need a bobby pin to keep the shorties from sticking out.
dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:22 am
Mumpad has a plait from when she had her long hair cut short as a girl. Its about 2 ft long. I have been known to stroke it.
I like long hair but it really make no difference to me how she keeps it.
Sometimes when shes asleep i gently twine my fingers in her hair as I drift off.

roberta you were a bit of babe back in the day. Got any swimsuits shots?
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:23 am
@Roberta,
Not too long to go then! Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:36 am
@dadpad,
dadpad, Yeah, I have one shot of me in a bathing suit.

olga, My hair is long. The hair on the right side of my head has a long way to go to catch up.
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:41 am
@Roberta,
A shot in a bathing suit?
When you were wee little person, Roberta? Smile

Quote:
olga, My hair is long. The hair on the right side of my head has a long way to go to catch up.

Ah. I understand.
So it's a matter of trimming the left side till the right side catches up?
sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:00 am
@Roberta,

That is my grandma!!! OK, it's not. I'm not claiming we're actually related. But that expression is so her, and the glasses, and the hair.

Quote:
The last time I saw my grandmother, she was in a nursing home.

That part reminds me of something that happened to me when I was maybe 15 (with very long, dark, wavy hair that I wore down). I went to visit my great-uncle in a nursing home in Florida. In the hallway, an old lady in a wheelchair who had sparse white hair grabbed my hand and looked up at me. Then she started talking about how her hair used to look just like mine. I listened to her for a while (not sure what to say or do), said something mild and polite, and continued on down the hallway to get to my great-uncle's room. The lady started yelling after me about how she used to have hair like that, with increasing anger.
Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:06 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

A shot in a bathing suit?
When you were wee little person, Roberta? Smile

No, I was a teenager.

Quote:

Ah. I understand.
So it's a matter of trimming the left side till the right side catches up?

No, I'll wait until the right side catches up with the left.

soz, Your grandmother is my mother. Does this mean you're my daughter? This could get confusing.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:27 am
@sozobe,

Soz if thats your grandmother i guess thats you with your long wavy dark hair in the back ground. so that would make you and roberta th same person. Now... multiple accounts are Ok but how the hell do you get from your home to NooYork to post so damn quickly
sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 08:10 am
@dadpad,
I don't seem to have any of the photos that show her at that age/ era/ expression. This is the closest I could find (later, and not quite the right expression).

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/grandma-1.jpg
Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 09:52 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Soz if thats your grandmother i guess thats you with your long wavy dark hair in the back ground. so that would make you and roberta th same person. Now... multiple accounts are Ok but how the hell do you get from your home to NooYork to post so damn quickly

dadpad, There's been enough confusion for me with family relationships without your making worse. The older woman in the picture is my mother, not my grandmother. That would make soz my daughter, not me.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 09:53 am
@sozobe,
I can kinds sorta see a resemblance, soz. I take your word for it.
sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 10:01 am
@Roberta,
Wish I had one where she looks a lot more like your picture. That one isn't really it.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:36 pm
WOW - look at you goil... I LOVE THIS THREAD

ya know, strange as it is, you are just as I pictured you

and I know your voice already

hoping so much you'll continue to write here when you wish to and tell us more about the "days in the life of..."

((((Boida)))) x
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:39 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/meshorthair002-1.jpg

sassy lady... spirited!!!!!!

Fab photo - ya gotta love the memories that old photos bring.
0 Replies