Two Sides of the Family--One Building

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 02:18 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
I'll tell you all I remember.

Thanks for obliging me. Smile

Quote:
Howie's parents bought a summer house in Noo Joisey. Howie and I stayed there with our grandparents for the whole summer. Our parents came up on the weekends.

That's where that terrific photograph was taken, Roberta? During one of your long, idyllic Noo Joisey summers?

Quote:
Howie's theory was that if you wiggle your toes on your pillow before you go to sleep, the smell from your feet would knock you out instantly. No tossing and turning. He wiggled his toes on his pillow every night. While he was doing this, he named some of his toes.

Smile

Quote:
I laughed the whole time.

Lucky you. You spent those summers with a fantastic, imaginative story teller. Far worse things could have happened! Wink

Quote:
He may have gone a bit further--some romance between Big Toe and Isabel. But Irving got in the way. Not sure about this

Aw! Just when things are getting really interesting, your memory fails you!

Do you have any other photographs from your New Jersey summers? That one you posted was wonderful!
Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 02:30 am
@msolga,
olga, There are no photos from Noo Joisey. None. All the photos of the country are from the Catskill Mountains (in New York State). Sorry.
msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 02:41 am
@Roberta,
Don't apologize, Roberta.
(But do wish wish there a few from Noo Joisey, anyway. Smile )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 02:49 am
I'm looking forwarded to what you come up with next here, Roberta.
I'm really enjoying this thread. An absolute delight!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead said:

Quote:
I think you are the orneriest looking little kid I've ever seen...
cute, too.

I so agree! For a three year old, there's a lot going on in that little head with the great big mind and it shows on your face.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:46 pm
Roberta, as you know, I sometimes don't read or post on a2k for weeks or even months at a time, so I just now read this entire thread. I have been in tears, felt the nostalgia of the old photos and even the love in your family.

This is the most unique family story I've ever read and the most touching. How I wish you would have it published. I know it wouldn't be very long and the posts from readers would have to be edited, but it would be so worth it. Maybe the New Yorker or the New York Times would put it in a special history section.

To read this and to see the photos is stunning in its realness, taking the reader into another time, much like a novel you wish wouldn't end. Please consider looking into having it published. And don't say no one would want to read it or all of us who have read it will have to do something awful, like convincing everyone on a2k that you are really, really sweet.

Please.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:03 pm
YIKES! Don't tell me I've brought this great thread to an end.

I know that won't happen, but it's kind of scary to not see any new posts on my favorite thread.

Boidy, if I pushed too hard, tough ****. You need to write that book.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:20 am
@Diane,
You didn't end this thread. I did. I have nothing left to post.

Go ahead and noodge. You should know by now that noodging is countereffective. I just dig in my heels. Not sure I agree with you. Don't think this stuff is publishable. However, I will give it some thought. Will that shut you up? Maybe yes. Maybe no. A goil can dream, can't she?

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 01:02 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
You didn't end this thread. I did. I have nothing left to post.

Ah, but you most likely will have more, later, Roberta.

More will come back to you & I do hope you'll post again when that occurs.

Think of this as an evolving, ongoing thread. And post when the spirit & your recollections move you.

Wonderful thread. Love it! Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 12:57 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

YIKES! Don't tell me I've brought this great thread to an end.

I know that won't happen, but it's kind of scary to not see any new posts on my favorite thread.

Boidy, if I pushed too hard, tough ****. You need to write that book.

Diane, you gigantic pain in the ass, you. As I promised, I thought about the possibility of publishing this stuff. This is personal stuff written here in anonymity. I would feel extreeeeeeemely uncomfortable having my name on it and having photos of my family published for the world to see.

Sorry, kiddo. Not gonna do it. But thanks for the vote of confidence. I promise to think about adapting the material so that I don't feel uncomfortable.

olga, If something comes to me, I'll be back.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 12:49 pm
@Roberta,
You can always write it as a novel with the history as the foundation for it. Just change the names of people and specific places so it isn't such a breech of your comfort levels. You could also write it using a pseudonym to add an additional layer of distance from your personal life.

:::nudge nudge:::

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:22 am
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/HowieHat.jpg

I mighta been dressed up like this for any number of reasons. But there's only one reason I can think of that Howie would be so dressed up, with a hat, no less--the high holidays. New Year's.

Rosh hashanah begins the high holidays. Two days. Yom Kippur ends the holidays and begins the new year.

My parents weren't very religious, but you didn't mess with Yom Kippur. The day of atonement. You had to observe this day or you wouldn't get your name written in the book for next year. What book? I was never clear on this.

All Jewish holidays are sundown to sundown. From the beginning of Yom Kippur to the end, you fast. This includes water, unless you have to take a pill. Medication is allowed. My grandparents spent ALL DAY in temple. ALL DAY.

Everybody had new outfits or wore their best conservative clothes. There's no money on sabbath or holidays. Also no riding. So people walked everywhere. No work either.

When I was little, I wanted to participate. Even my father went to temple. This was important. I wanted to fast. Too young. When I was a teenager and was old enought to fast, I did. Of course, I met with my friends, and all we talked about was our new outfits and whether we were fasting. Hungry? Yeah, I could eat.

We always broke the fast at my grandparents' place (mother's parents). No big meals. My grandmother wasn't cooking. She was in temple. Also no work allowed. These were light meals that could be prepared ahead of time. Pickled herring. Smoked white fish. Smoked sturgeon. Salads. Delish.

I don't follow any religion although I am certainly culturally Jewish. But even I still consider Yom Kippur to be a special day. I don't fast, don't pray. But I use the day for reflection.
jespah

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:14 am
@Roberta,
I've found these days I like to use Yom Kippur as an occasion to talk to people, find out if I've offended them in any way over the year, see if I can improve things. What the hell. I had similar holidays to yours when I was growing up -- my grandmother definitely spent all day in shul on Yom Kippur.
Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:26 am
@jespah,
Jes, So your actually trying to atone for offending people on the day of atonement. I wonder how many people actually do that. I say good for you.

BTW, you have never offended me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:35 am
@Roberta,
Another wonderful photograph of you & Howie, Roberta.
And very smart, indeed, you both look!
And I learned quite a bit about Jewish holiday practises I knew nothing about before. Fascinating.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:40 pm
@Roberta,
Oh Boida, the photo of you and Howie is a delight.

Your coat and his suit even seem to match--is the check a houndstooth? Howie's is a larger version of yours. And I love the pleats on the bottom of your coat.

I've noticed that those eyes of yours seem to be seeing everything, aware of it all, and it is the same in every photo you have posted. Smart little pipsqueek.

Margo said:
Quote:
Think of this as an evolving, ongoing thread. And post when the spirit & your recollections move you.
Please do keep posting. It is true that all of us will have a memory come flooding back at the most unexpected times.

And butrfly's suggestion is perfect for allowing you to publish without invading your own comfort level.

As usual Boidy, I'm loving it.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 01:35 pm
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/Howieandmestanding.jpg

I love this picture. Why? I'm busy. Hey, I'm standing up. Howie was about 3 in this picture. I'm less than a year old. There are many pictures of me where I'm busy. Don't care about the camera. I'm doing something.

As you can see, Howie and I were together a lot. According to my mother, he was my third word--Mama, Dada, Howie.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:58 am
@Roberta,
Miss Roberta, thank you so much for telling me about this thread. I am with Miss Diane. I laughed, I cried, I had goosebumps! What a marvelously rich history you have in your family.

The pictures, oh the pictures! Thank God for whomever it was that invented that process. The one picture of you by that water pump, that you said you like so much, is award winning material. I love black and white pictures. I am probably going to go back and read the entire thread again because I enjoyed it so much.

Has anyone ever said they thought your dad resembled Groucho Marx a bit? I thoroughly enjoyed this. Thank you so much.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:52 pm
Miss Roberta, I forgot to tell you something. You had such a tiny waist in that picture and it was a very lovely dress.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:09 pm
Arella Mae, I'm truly glad you enjoyed the thread. I've been back to reread and look at the pictures many times.

Glad you liked the dress. No, no one ever thought that my father resembled Groucho Marx. You may be thinking of my uncle--the one with the glasses.
0 Replies