Euro 2004 draw FOOTBALL (soccer)

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 08:11 am
Sven Goren Eriksson's England will take on current European champions France in their opening game of the Euro 2004 Tournament in Portugal.
The rest of Group B consists of Croatia, who England defeated 3-1 a few weeks ago, and Switzerland.

And Germany vs. The Netherlands will be exciting as well - I hope.

The Full Draw

Group A: Portugal; Greece; Spain; Russia
Group B: France; England; Switzerland; Croatia
Group C: Sweden; Bulgaria; Denmark; Italy
Group D: Czech Rep; Latvia; Germany; Netherlands

GROUPS & time table
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 19,739 • Replies: 406
No top replies

skuamb

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 11:59 pm
germany vs latvia should be a good game too. i mean...latvia "eliminated" turkey from this last phase of the european cup (turkey was classified 3rd in the past world cup), so they must be good!

i hope portugal doesnt play sucky (as many times they do), and players like figo, rui costa, pauleta, simao, ricardo (gk), deco, be at their best.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:25 am
Wellcome to A2K, skuamb!

Thanks for your response ... and enjoy the other categories of this site as well!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:29 am
England vs France - now that would be match to watch !! The poms are already sh**ting in their pants Laughing
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:14 am
Walter,

The UK commentators on TV and radio are naming Group D the "Group of Death" - there's always one!

Welcome, skuamb - Portugal certainly have some great players - they just need to play together!

KP
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:18 am
Yes, pete, I've heard, the German players have booked their summer holidays from 24th June onwards :wink:
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:55 am
Group A seems to be the easiest, and has already an Iberian flavor. Of course, one can always count on Spain giving a terrible game or two.
Group C is deceptive. Scandinavians are often full of surprises.
England is also often full of surprises (bitter for their fans), but it should win Group B.
Whoever goes through in Group D will either be too exhausted to do anything else or will be too strong and win the championship.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:20 am
fbaezer,

I hope you're right about England winning the group. I know France did badly in the World Cup but the English still consider them to be the better side (OK, I'm an Arsenal fan - I know just how amazing Henry, Pires and Viera can be!).

KP
0 Replies

skuamb

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:25 pm
i'm sure france will go to the finals. i mean... look at their team. they have such a good chemistry between all the players, and they have been playing together for a long time...

barthez, desaily, lizarazu, thuram, zidane, vieira, pires, henry, trezeguet, ETC, have been playing together since the last eurocup in 2000 if not longer.

Razz
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:01 am
fbaezer wrote:
Group A seems to be the easiest, and has already an Iberian flavor. Of course, one can always count on Spain giving a terrible game or two.
Group C is deceptive. Scandinavians are often full of surprises.
England is also often full of surprises (bitter for their fans), but it should win Group B.
Whoever goes through in Group D will either be too exhausted to do anything else or will be too strong and win the championship.

couldn't agree more about groups A and C. You are also quite right about Group D, although it can be easily said for C as well...
However, I think your perception of Group B is completely wrong (we'll see however) - France is stronger then England from absolutely every point of view - this doesn't mean that England absolutely cannot win the group, but to put it in the position of favourite...well, I think you are very wrong - England can even have problems with Croats that usually play great on big competitions and England is still group of great, even brilliant players that does not work as team.
0 Replies

Cristiano

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 12:43 pm
France will win. Just think......
Coupet

Thuram Mexes Gallas Silvestre

Pires Vieira Makelele Zidane

Trezeguet Henry
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:03 pm
Hi Cristiano, welcome to A2K.

France may win.
But you don't win with names.
What ever happened of Real Madrid in 2004?
Not the Champion's League, not the Liga, not the Copa del Rey.
And you couldn't ask for better names.
0 Replies

Cristiano

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:21 pm
I know you don't win w/ names but Real Madrid's defence is very weak. R. Carlos is the best defender they have but he leaves a lot of space when attacking.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:07 pm
Italy is looking like a well-oiled machine. I look for Azzuri to take it all.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:22 pm
You both may be right. France has best players, Italy might have best TEAM. But, it's also quite important that players will once again be extremely tired. France had best players on World Cup as well and they couldn't even pass through group stage.
Okay, Euro will be more fair in that matter, because more or less all teams will be in similar position, not like in World Cup where for example asian national teams were made of players that played 40 games less during season then French players for example.
Here only Latvia will have that advantage, because other teams are either completely (France, Italy, Germany, Spain, England....) or partially (Scandinavians, Croatia, Bulgaria...) filled with "tired" players.
Russia may be potential surprise, especially if they start well. Why? Because they will be the most fresh team. They had their vacations, then pre-season, and now they played around 10 rounds of national championship - they should be in top form. And fact that they are not as good as others...well, Senegal, South Korea, USA...are not as good as France and Argentina and they were all much better placed on World Cup.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:54 pm
I've already made my fantasy teams.

My choices for the first games go for players from Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Italy, Sweden and Croatia. Too scared to put any (expensive) French, English, Dutch or German players in my teams (I think I got Davids in one of them, he was the best my spare virtual money could buy).
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:56 pm
In one of the teams, I was so bankrupt I chose the Latvian coach.
Hope they make a point, at least. Wink
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:05 pm
hey, do you have some links? Except uefa.com I hate their fantasy games! Smile
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:12 pm
Sporting Life Fantasy Football:

http://sportinglife.fantasyeurofootball.com/?page=rules

(now, I'll look into uefa.com)

I hope it's free.
I never pay for fantasy play.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:52 pm
well, Germany is in the crisis, but it will be the Champion!Netherlands without Makaay.

Tomorrow the EURO starts.......
0 Replies