Euro 2004 draw FOOTBALL (soccer)

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:56 am
They were - even if you had seen more :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:15 pm
hehe Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:33 pm
I think it was Gary Linneker, when asked to define football, said: "Football is a game played by 22 men in which Germany always wins".
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:37 pm
Germany - Netherlands 1:1 I`m contentedly,it was a good match.
0 Replies

koolplay

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:21 am
The draw game make most of the Netherlands' fans satisfactory.
I hope the Netherlands will play better next two group games,especially against Czech.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 06:30 am
koolplay wrote:
The draw game make most of the Netherlands' fans satisfactory.
I hope the Netherlands will play better next two group games,especially against Czech.

Actually, no-one in Germany honestly believed, we could get a draw ... or even win :wink:

Quote:
Despite an incredibly lethargic 'Oranje' display, Germany coach Rudi Voller says that Holland deserved their late equaliser.
Voller: "We were on top in the first half but after the break Holland put us under pressure and we could not get out enough to get the second goal that would have been decisive. But we can live with the result, they deserved their draw and it is not as bad as losing, from which it would have been hard to come back. Van Nistelrooy had only the one chance, we had kept him very quiet, but top players only need the one opening and they punish you. They were able to move up a gear in the second half and we just could not quite contain them for long enough. But it is not too bad for us. We can go into our next game against Latvia full of confidence. We watched them in the first half of their game with the Czechs and we know they are a good side, but we will be favourites."
Quote:
Holland coach Dick Advocaat is also in agreement with his German counterpart that the 1-1 draw was the right result.
"Both sides had too much respect for each other in the first period, and that we could not get the ball up to our forwards enough. But we changed things after the break and had the link that meant we could get the ball to van Nistelrooy. He took his goal superbly, but then I always know what a good striker he is."
Regarding his tactical decision to field just one striker Advocaat continued: "I made the choices, they were made because we had studied our opponents and knew how we had to play against them. In fact our players had more problems with themselves than they did with the Germans, in the second half we were able to get the ball forward more and keep possession. It was the right result, a fair result because we played well and kept going forward looking for the equaliser. It was just that we equalised."
both quotes from (Dutch) footballNl.com
0 Replies

koolplay

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 06:43 am
But from the game,I think the draw score is the best result for the two teams.
The goal by Germans is a little lucky while the key goal by Van Nistelrooy is just his personal performance.
So as to our TV audiences,the game is not too bad and enough acceptable.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:32 am
Brief comments about Germany - Netherlands.

Germany is the Fussball machine we all know. It has half only a talent (Ballack), yet the smart engine and the winning mentality are there.

Holland didn't show much. The German's were so cautious they didn't cross mid-field until the 9th minute of the game. Then, they realized this is no Clockwork Orange. Holland's only plus is that they have a new Van Basten.

Advocaat and Voeller both need a good deodorant.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
Greek gets another astonishing result.

I wonder, if the Spanish press will 'beat' their team/coach as did the Dutch (and "King Johann") today in The Netherlands.

And: Italy's Totti faces spitting charge
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:48 pm
Was it Rijkaard who spat on Rudi Voeller or the other way around, Walter?

My memory fails, but I think the Dutch spat on the German after being called racist names.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:13 pm
Rijkaard, spatted Völler twice [after a foul, not name calling (which might have happened, too)]- both got the red card by the Argentinian referee Loustau.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:14 pm
Totti needs a dope-slap. What is he thinking?
This is no time to indulge in adolescent behavior.

Anyway, I'm looking for Trapattoni to get the lads back on track for Sweden.

And how about Greece? I can't wait to see whether they can keep on this roll. Houpa!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:20 pm
Well, Greek might be rather save by now (still 0:1 between Russia and Portugal at the moment) in the next round, I suppose.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 03:52 pm
Russia's out.
Only a (highly improbable) Russian victory against them in the next game will keep the Greeks from advancing.
This leaves one spot: it's either the hosts or Spain.

The Portuguese are still the more talented, but they didn't look good at all for a long while against a wounded and decimated Russian team.
My guess is a draw, and Spain advances (referees notwithstanding).
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 12:12 am
not only that fbaezer - even with losing against Russia Greece will probably go to quarter finals.
If Spain wins or Spain and Portugal play tie, Greeks can lose 9-0 if they want, they're still quarter-finalists.
And even if Portugal wins they can still go even with loss from Russia if their defeat was not to be higher then one of Spain (if they both lose 0-1, 1-2, 1-3, whatever...they are still better then Spain).

Only way that Greece don't go to quarter final is if they lose from Russia with bigger margin then Spain from Portugal.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:09 am
Greece with Otto Rehagel are the best in the group!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:14 am
Totti has been banned for three games becaus eof the spitting incident. Argh!
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:35 pm
Crazy Croats once again. We really can't play normal championship - either good or bad. We just have to be crazy.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:48 am
Good luck for Monday, MOU. If your team are playing crazy and my team is playing its usual blend of good-bad-good-bad football, then it should be a good match. I understand that if France beat Switzerland then England only need a draw against Croatia to finish 2nd in the group. It's a shame that we both didn't beat France, then we could have gone through together and left the French behind!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:47 am
Bugaria - Denmark 0:1 nearly end
0 Replies