Lies From Gen. Betrayus

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:13 am
General Betrayus is a military man constantly at war with the facts. In 2004, just before the election, he said there was “tangible progress“ in Iraq and that “Iraqi leaders are stepping forward.”

Washington Post, “Battling for Iraq,” by David H. Betrayus. 9/26/04

And last week Betrayus, the architect of the escalation of troops in Iraq , said ”We say we have achieved progress, and we are obviously going to do everything we can to build on that progress.”

The Australian, “Surge Working: Top US General,” by Dennis Shanahan. 8/31/07

Every independent report on the ground situation in Iraq shows that the surge strategy has failed. Check out"

GAO report, 9/4/07
NIE report, 8/23/07
Jones report, CSIS, 9/6/07

Yet the General claims a reduction in violence. That’s because, according to the New York Times, the Pentagon has adopted a bizarre formula for keeping tabs on violence. For example, deaths by car bombs don’t count.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,267 • Replies: 83
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:16 am
@FedUpAmerican,
And you support our troops too don't you, LOL
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:20 am
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;37221 wrote:
General Betrayus is a military man constantly at war with the facts. In 2004, just before the election, he said there was “tangible progress“ in Iraq and that “Iraqi leaders are stepping forward.”

Washington Post, “Battling for Iraq,” by David H. Betrayus. 9/26/04

And last week Betrayus, the architect of the escalation of troops in Iraq , said ”We say we have achieved progress, and we are obviously going to do everything we can to build on that progress.”

The Australian, “Surge Working: Top US General,” by Dennis Shanahan. 8/31/07

Every independent report on the ground situation in Iraq shows that the surge strategy has failed. Check out"

GAO report, 9/4/07
NIE report, 8/23/07
Jones report, CSIS, 9/6/07

Yet the General claims a reduction in violence. That’s because, according to the New York Times, the Pentagon has adopted a bizarre formula for keeping tabs on violence. For example, deaths by car bombs don’t count.

He's a good soldier in a tough job. Of course he had to support his boss, GW, and of course there is no way he can predict the future. You're right -- his report doesn't mean much. We need to look to history for insight. The average time invested in counterinsurgency wars by most Western powers is nine years. I think that yes, in about another five to ten years, we will find a way out of Iraq, for better or worse. Counterinsurgencies are almost always ugly, unpopular, and given to inconclusive and disappointing, ultimate outcomes. We already know Iraq is definitely headed in that direction. Petraeus didn't betray us. That's a mean, ignorant assessment of the man. He's doing his job. He's a soldier, not the President. I admire him for even accepting the job Bush gave him. Why can't we analyze and understand this debacle objectively, instead of always falling back on bi-partisan biggotry?
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:26 am
@FedUpAmerican,
What do you expect from Gen. Betrayus when his commander in chief is a bigger liar scam artist than he is.

Before the surge, George Bush had 130,000 troops stuck in Iraq.
In January 2007, there were “currently more than 130,000 U.S. troops” in Iraq. [UPI, 1/10/07]

Bush announced on January 10, 2007 that he planned to augment the more than 130,000 forces in Iraq with the additional 21,500 troops. [Associated Press, 1/17/07]
Americans had elected a new Congress to bring them home. Instead, Bush sent 30,000 more troops.

In March 2007, the top general in Iraq asked for an additional 2,600 soldiers in Baghdad and western Iraq bringing the administration's surge to 30,000 troops. [ABC News, 3/16/07]

The United States is currently increasing the number of American troops in Iraq in a bid to stabilize Baghdad and other violent areas of the country. The Pentagon says 30,000 troops being deployed to Iraq as part of the "troop surge" will remain there until at least the end of August. [Voice of America News, 4/11/07]

In January 2007, there were an estimated 132,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. In September 2007, there are an estimated 168,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. [Brookings Institution, “Iraq Index,” 9/10/07; http://www3.brookings.edu/fp/saban/iraq/index.pdf ]

The Iraq surge of an additional 30,000 troops -- about six brigades -- creates pressure on the stretched U.S. military to generate troops. [UPI, 3/28/07]
Now he's making a big deal about you guessed it...pulling out 30,000.

President Bush will endorse the broad outlines of a plan to bring home 30,000 troops from Iraq by the middle of next year if conditions are favorable, a senior administration official said yesterday. [Boston Globe, 9/12/07; http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2007/09/12/bush_set_to_endorse_plan_for_troop_cuts/]

George W. Bush is on Thursday night expected to endorse plans to withdraw 30,000 US troops from Iraq by next summer, but will make the cuts *conditional on improvements in security. [MSNBC.com, 9/12/07; ]Bush to endorse withdrawal of Iraq troops - Financial Times - MSNBC.com

Plans by President Bush to announce a withdrawal of up to 30,000 U.S. troops from Iraq by next summer drew sharp criticism yesterday from Democratic leaders and a handful of Republicans in Congress, who vowed to try again to force Bush to accept a more dramatic change of policy. [Washington Post, 9/12/07; ]washingtonpost.com

At a September 13, 2007 evening press conference President Bush will tell the nation that he plans to reduce the American troop presence in Iraq by as many as 30,000 by next summer, but will condition those and further cuts on continued progress. [Associated Press, 9/12/07; http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iOG8DKrBRIw7wFsd8i6-IFzLumVA]
So, next year, there will still be 130,000 troops stuck in Iraq.

About 168,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq now. Bush's order is expected to bring that number to around 132,000 — about where it was when Bush announced a major buildup on Jan. 10. [Associated Press, 9/12/07; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_iraq]

Ken Pollack, an Iraq expert in Washington, said he believes President. Bush will drop troop numbers in Iraq to pre-surge levels of about 130,000 troops by some point next spring. [Christian Science Monitor, 9/12/07; http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0912/p01s01-woiq.html]

Maine Republican Senator Susan Collins: ''What [Bush] is recommending results in our having the same number of troops 10 months from now as we had 10 months ago.” [New York Times, 9/12/07; http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/12/washington/12cong.html?_r=1&ref=middleeast&oref=slogin]
mlurp

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 11:24 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
You don't understand the Military do you FedUpAmerican, he has a code of conduct and he (you might have not thought of) knows what the others know. So he isn't going to lie and ruin his 30 some years of service and be known as a yes man. He also has clearances that allow him to know the whole plan and in a Military fashion he is stating his and his staffs position. Don't back set quarterback Him. Bush do as you like any politician deserves it IMHO!!
But a man who gives his life in the Military has honor and thinks differently than any civilian on all matters where life is concerned and mission orders are involved. besides you have the time to wait and see. But I don't like the fact he had to lay open his plan of action for now and later. puts the entire mission in a danger. For what a show and news bites. Nothing else has changed nor will it unless it gets worst.
Freeman15

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 11:36 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;37410 wrote:
You don't understand the Military do you FedUpAmerican, he has a code of conduct and he (you might have not thought of) knows what the others know. So he isn't going to lie and ruin his 30 some years of service and be known as a yes man. He also has clearances that allow him to know the whole plan and in a Military fashion he is stating his and his staffs position. Don't back set quarterback Him. Bush do as you like any politician deserves it IMHO!!
But a man who gives his life in the Military has honor and thinks differently than any civilian on all matters where life is concerned and mission orders are involved. besides you have the time to wait and see. But I don't like the fact he had to lay open his plan of action for now and later. puts the entire mission in a danger. For what a show and news bites. Nothing else has changed nor will it unless it gets worst.

We could always just leave Iraq. That'd solve the problem instantly.
mlurp

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 11:44 pm
@Freeman15,
Yes it would get us off that conversation but solve nothing. And besides Iraq is about Iran.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 11:50 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Betrayus has a ******* yellow streak up his back more thanbushys and any other "soldier" thats playing bushys game in Iraq.

COWARDS!

Each and EVERY one.
mlurp

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 11:53 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;37420 wrote:
Betrayus has a ***ing yellow streak up his back more thanbushys and any other "soldier" thats playing bushys game in Iraq.

COWARDS!

Each and EVERY one.

I have no reply to that. maybe your anger will be lower by mid-day.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 02:19 am
@FedUpAmerican,
Betrayus has a ***ing yellow streak up his back more thanbushys and any other "soldier" thats playing bushys game in Iraq.

COWARDS!

Each and EVERY one.

Have you ever served in the military?
0 Replies

kmchugh

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 06:19 am
@FedUpAmerican,

COWARDS!

Each and EVERY one.

Interesting. One who has never served in the military in any capacity. One who has never had to test himself by putting his life on the line in the defense of his beliefs or his nation. One who has only the courage to sit anonymously behind his computer and tell the world how stupid is everyone who disagrees with his sermons from the mount. This one calls professional soldiers cowards.

I'd laugh if it didn't so make me want to cry.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:44 am
@FedUpAmerican,
I think when he looks in the mirror, he see's himself. That's where the coward come's from. My question would be, is he prepared to fight for his conviction? I mean physically? Or would he back down? If he's not, who is the coward?
Pinochet73

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 09:53 am
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;37229 wrote:
http://www3.brookings.edu/fp/saban/iraq/index.pdf ]

The Iraq surge of an additional 30,000 troops -- about six brigades -- creates pressure on the stretched U.S. military to generate troops. [UPI, 3/28/07]
Now he's making a big deal about you guessed it...pulling out 30,000.

President Bush will endorse the broad outlines of a plan to bring home 30,000 troops from Iraq by the middle of next year if conditions are favorable, a senior administration official said yesterday. [Boston Globe, 9/12/07; http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2007/09/12/bush_set_to_endorse_plan_for_troop_cuts/]

George W. Bush is on Thursday night expected to endorse plans to withdraw 30,000 US troops from Iraq by next summer, but will make the cuts *conditional on improvements in security. [MSNBC.com, 9/12/07; ]Bush to endorse withdrawal of Iraq troops - Financial Times - MSNBC.com

Plans by President Bush to announce a withdrawal of up to 30,000 U.S. troops from Iraq by next summer drew sharp criticism yesterday from Democratic leaders and a handful of Republicans in Congress, who vowed to try again to force Bush to accept a more dramatic change of policy. [Washington Post, 9/12/07; ]washingtonpost.com

At a September 13, 2007 evening press conference President Bush will tell the nation that he plans to reduce the American troop presence in Iraq by as many as 30,000 by next summer, but will condition those and further cuts on continued progress. [Associated Press, 9/12/07; http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iOG8DKrBRIw7wFsd8i6-IFzLumVA]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_iraq]

Ken Pollack, an Iraq expert in Washington, said he believes President. Bush will drop troop numbers in Iraq to pre-surge levels of about 130,000 troops by some point next spring. [Christian Science Monitor, 9/12/07; http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0912/p01s01-woiq.html]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/12/washington/12cong.html?_r=1&ref=middleeast&oref=slogin]

What did you expect from a professional soldier -- betrayal of his Commander-in-Chief? Gimme a break. Stop attacking this hero. He's doing his job, which is to try to win this counterinsurgency. Counterinsurgencies are almost NEVER won, decisively. History clearly shows that. Fight the war, not the soldiers fighting it. And remember, if we pull out, MORE war will break out, with much higher stakes. BE MATURE IN YOUR JUDGMENT. Look to history for the answers, not bi-partisan politics. :liar:
scooby-doo cv

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 09:58 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;37503 wrote:
What did you expect from a professional soldier -- betrayal of his Commander-in-Chief? Gimme a break. Stop attacking this hero. He's doing his job, which is to try to win this counterinsurgency. Counterinsurgencies are almost NEVER won, decisively. History clearly shows that. Fight the war, not the soldiers fighting it. And remember, if we pull out, MORE war will break out, with much higher stakes. BE MATURE IN YOUR JUDGMENT. Look to history for the answers, not bi-partisan politics. :liar:

when are you going to admit that the war in iraq was the wrong war,and it should never have happened !
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 01:09 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
It does't matter if it's the "Wrong War", the US needs to finish the job. It's time to tell the peaceniks and the left leaning spineless media to shove it where the sun don't shine and get the job done. Give the people one week warning if they are harbouring insurgents or supporting them. Then bomb them to dust.

The personal attacks against the General have done a great deal to anger the general public, it's harmed the democrats reputation.

FedUP is a coward, I doubt he/she/it has ever defended anything but their warped opinion. It's easy to be brave behind a keyboard, that's where spineless cowards thrive. Oh well even cowards need to voice an opinion.
FedUpAmerican

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:05 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;37461 wrote:
I think when he looks in the mirror, he see's himself.

And who do YOU see????
FedUpAmerican

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:10 pm
@Red cv,
Red;37546 wrote:
It does't matter if it's the "Wrong War", the US needs to finish the job.

HOW do you propose this should be done?

How much more money and lives need to be lost in this LOSING battle?

What are YOU doing to help in accomplishing what you call "finishing the job?"
FedUpAmerican

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:12 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Can ANY of you people that support the ILLEGAL OCCUPATION of Iraq even find Iraq on a map???

I HIGHLY doubt it.

bushy and General BETRAYUS need to stand trial for treason. The world will be much better without these puppets.
Freeman15

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:57 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;37598 wrote:
Can ANY of you people that support the ILLEGAL OCCUPATION of Iraq even find Iraq on a map???

I HIGHLY doubt it.

bushy and General BETRAYUS need to stand trial for treason. The world will be much better without these puppets.

You don't actually know the criminal definition of treason do you? It's ok, I won't tell if you won't.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 10:14 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;37598 wrote:

I HIGHLY doubt it.

Yes and Iran as well as Afghanistan. And I thank each poster that stood up for our Military.
Thank a veteran this coming 11th Nov. It is also my grand-daughter 3rd birthday. My step daughter made it easy for me to remember. Looool