Whoopi Goldberg defends Vick, says dogfighting is normal in the south

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 11:14 am
Goldberg defends Vick in `View' debut
Today at 11:34 am

So much for the sedate alternative to Rosie O'Donnell on "The View."

Whoopi Goldberg used her first day on the daytime chat show Tuesday to defend football star Michael Vick in his dogfighting case.

Goldberg said that "from where he comes from" in the South, dogfighting isn't that unusual.

"It's like cockfighting in Puerto Rico," she said. "There are certain things that are indicative to certain parts of the country."

The Atlanta Falcons quarterback pleaded guilty to federal dogfighting charges last week, admitting that he provided money for a dogfighting ring that operated on his Virginia property and helped kill six or eight pit bulls. Vick grew up in Newport News, Va.

Goldberg was selected by series creator Barbara Walters to replace O'Donnell, whose stormy tenure on the ABC program lasted less than a year.

In the Vick discussion, Goldberg served notice that she won't shy away from controversy.

Co-host Joy Behar looked horrified at Goldberg.

"How about dog torture and dog murdering?" Behar asked.

For many people, dogs are sport, Goldberg replied, and it appeared it took awhile for Vick to realize that he was up against serious charges.

"I just thought it was interesting, because it seemed like a light went off in his head when he realized this was something that the entire country didn't appreciate," she said.

Vick has been suspended indefinitely by the National Football League and will be sentenced on the dogfighting charges in December. He apologized and asked for forgiveness upon entering his plea in federal court last week.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,464 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 11:26 am
@briansol,
wow, I generally think Whoopi's oppinions are rather educated and well thoughtout

I would have put money down that Sharpton would have come to his rescue before Whioopi did, wrong agian I guess.

But seriously where is Sharpton on this? He plays the race card so often that I'm suprised he didn't accuse Vick of executing more Brindle's then Fawn's (dog owners joke). Maybe Al's failed atempt at the Duke Lacrosse team has cost him some crediabiltiy
rugonnacry

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 11:36 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;35045 wrote:
wow, I generally think Whoopi's oppinions are rather educated and well thoughtout

I would have put money down that Sharpton would have come to his rescue before Whioopi did, wrong agian I guess.

But seriously where is Sharpton on this? He plays the race card so often that I'm suprised he didn't accuse Vick of executing more Brindle's then Fawn's (dog owners joke). Maybe Al's failed atempt at the Duke Lacrosse team has cost him some crediabiltiy

And his now floundering Don Imu case.

Al sharpton = Knappy Headed Publicity Ho
briansol

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 11:46 am
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;35049 wrote:
Al sharpton = Knappy Headed Publicity Ho

ROFL.

i saw sharpton on a fox show at 3am about a week ago. its the guy who hosts red eye. i forget his name.
Silverchild79

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 12:56 pm
@briansol,
briansol;35057 wrote:
i saw sharpton on a fox show at 3am about a week ago. its the guy who hosts red eye. i forget his name.

Once I saw Weekend Update on SNL and The Daily Report I thought to myself "man you can't go wrong with news satire"

Then I saw Colbert Report, & Red Eye and realized as soon as you make something idiot proof, somebody will make a better idiot
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:31 pm
@briansol,
She's lucky to be working anywhere. I wouldn't hire her to clean my floors.
rugonnacry

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:33 pm
@briansol,
You know ted Danson left his semi crippled wife For Whoopi Goldberg. What a winner there huh?
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:46 pm
@briansol,
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="424" height="360" id="dl_flvwidget" align="middle"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.channel.aol.com/aolexd_widgets/aolwidget_9.swf" /><param name="FlashVars" value="settings=90177&pmms=1967835&previewImage=http://www.aolcdn.com/entnews/whoopinews400&skin=141298&size=large&autoPlay=0" /><embed src="http://cdn.channel.aol.com/aolexd_widgets/aolwidget_9.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="424" height="360" name="dl_flvwidget" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" FlashVars="settings=90177&pmms=1967835&previewImage=http://www.aolcdn.com/entnews/whoopinews400&skin=141298&size=large&autoPlay=0" ></embed></object>

thats a vid clip of the scene
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 04:12 pm
@briansol,
code>you
briansol

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 04:34 pm
@briansol,
doh. i forgot, its not youtube Sad
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 05:06 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;35180 wrote:
code>you

Where is it? I can never find it.... I mean the Poll of the Week.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:34 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;35109 wrote:
She's lucky to be working anywhere. I wouldn't hire her to clean my floors.

She doesn't do floors...she's an Academy Award-winning actress, and humorist...evidently, not hurting for money or attention...in demand, and in the public eye....you, on the otherhand....who exactly are you? And what is your claim to fame? Don't think for one minute your "playing the race card", slipped by me. Oh, but don't let me attempt to play it...then all hell breaks loose. Hypocrites. Would that be considered a verbal attack or "truth"? Awaiting a verdict.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:06 pm
@briansol,
Like I said, I wouldn't hire her to clean my floors.
Freeman15

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:15 pm
@briansol,
Sorry, I'm a libertarian in most respects, but killing a dog should come with stiffer penalties than killing some people (only half joking). Dogs only want to be friends, you have to MAKE them mean, and it takes a special sonuva bitch to accomplish that.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:33 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;36011 wrote:
Like I said, I wouldn't hire her to clean my floors.

And she probably wouldn't hire you to clean her toilets....but I would.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 10:59 am
@briansol,
Touche...
Except, Lord knows what's been flushed at your house.
aaronssongs

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 04:42 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;36074 wrote:
Touche...
Except, Lord knows what's been flushed at your house.

Regular human being stuff, I can assure you...you know, I'm a regular human being...of this planet....what did you think? Don't tell me....by your past postings, I can only guess.
And by the same token, we don't rightly know "what" has been on your floors.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 01:05 pm
@briansol,
A-songs - Back to Goldberg, or Karen Johnson, whatever she calls herself these days, enlighten me as to how she can possibly justify the torture of dogs and you give her a pass?
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 02:45 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;36197 wrote:
A-songs - Back to Goldberg, or Karen Johnson, whatever she calls herself these days, enlighten me as to how she can possibly justify the torture of dogs and you give her a pass?

I don't give her a pass. Whoever said that I did? You demeaned her. I took you to task. End of story. She has her own opinion. I have mine. You have yours.
What I think she said or meant, is that dogfighting is a cultural thing, not unlike cock fighting, falconry, turtle racing, horseback riding. When good ol' black boys are out in "the country", one of the pastimes, might be dogfighting...I wouldn't know...I'm from the city, and it's not a part of my experience. But once again, you could have asked the question without being pejorative, or offensive, or racist.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 03:34 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;36212 wrote:
I don't give her a pass. Whoever said that I did? You demeaned her. I took you to task. End of story. She has her own opinion. I have mine. You have yours.
What I think she said or meant, is that dogfighting is a cultural thing, not unlike cock fighting, falconry, turtle racing, horseback riding. When good ol' black boys are out in "the country", one of the pastimes, might be dogfighting...I wouldn't know...I'm from the city, and it's not a part of my experience. But once again, you could have asked the question without being pejorative, or offensive, or racist.

I actually agree with this statement, first time for everything.

Some cultures dictate that men cut themselves to prove their manhood, others cover their women head-to-toe (homos). In OUR culture, dogfighting is considered wrong and cruel (I agree), but in more primitive cultures like those of the poor blacks, white trash, and barrio-dwellers, dogfighting is just like saturday morning cartoons.

These idiots buy and fight these dogs because they're worthless human beings who have to prove their masculinity by having a mean dog who can kill. It's the same mentality behind most CHL holders.
0 Replies