Pro Life, or Pro Choice?

trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 01:45 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15090 wrote:
The sort of abortions we're talking about, deliberate ones.

well some animals; fish, reptiles, mammals, ect...; do kill thier children after they are born, some eat them. It is not abortion as we know it, but it is still abortion. Animals don't understand technology, so of course it's not going to be planned abortion. But killing the child is the argument here and they have to wait until after it is born.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 01:48 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15060 wrote:
This is only in case it is still-born, of course it's alive in the womb.

true but in a legal fight the word born would mean the first breath, You don't get a date of birth certificate when you are concieved do you? It's after your mother has given birth to you that you are concidered born.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:01 pm
@LukeN,
The intent of the lawmaker is considered in a legal battle, it is hard to say the founding fathers meant it in this way.

As for animals eating offspring, can you please list sources? Not saying you are wrong, i just couldn't find any instances of it happening.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:09 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15099 wrote:
The intent of the lawmaker is considered in a legal battle, it is hard to say the founding fathers meant it in this way.

As for animals eating offspring, can you please list sources? Not saying you are wrong, i just couldn't find any instances of it happening.

well i'm not going to say it is the most reliable source, But on the animal planet and discovery channel when they go over the animals sometimes they come across some that will eat their offspring after giving birth or hatching. It's not an every animal kind of thing. Like fish will sometimes eat their unhatched eggs, spiders the same. Mammals sometimes kill thier offspring while eating if the offspring gets between the mother and her food. I don't have any literature to back this at the time but i could look it up if you wanted it.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:12 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15099 wrote:
The intent of the lawmaker is considered in a legal battle, it is hard to say the founding fathers meant it in this way.QUOTE]

all we can really do is speculate and make an educated guess about the intent of the founding fathers. There really wasn't any such thing as abortion as we know it then. So it's hard to say they meant anything about abortion in this law.
Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:18 pm
@LukeN,
No, I believe you, and this is mostly what I thought.

This would be more because they need food though, then, instead of the wish to avoid responsibility for the child, like with most human cases. In species that support their children, that is something instinctive for them to do. If not, they would have evolved into a species that doesn't support its children. It also usually conflicts with the general rules of the animal species, I would think, beause the purpose of the eggs is to reproduce, which animals must do to survive. It would conflict with the survival of the species were it to be done commonly or as a general rule.
Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:21 pm
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15102 wrote:
Reagaknight;15099 wrote:
The intent of the lawmaker is considered in a legal battle, it is hard to say the founding fathers meant it in this way.QUOTE]

all we can really do is speculate and make an educated guess about the intent of the founding fathers. There really wasn't any such thing as abortion as we know it then. So it's hard to say they meant anything about abortion in this law.

Which means that they weren't supporting abortion, which effectively takes away the argument that it can be used to support abortion, because they probably had no idea it would be interpreted in this way and usually have used no other venue to express their views on the subject, so we cannot tell what their intent would have been supposing they thought of abortion.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:25 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15105 wrote:
No, I believe you, and this is mostly what I thought.

This would be more because they need food though, then, instead of the wish to avoid responsibility for the child, like with most human cases. In species that support their children, that is something instinctive for them to do. If not, they would have evolved into a species that doesn't support its children. It also usually conflicts with the general rules of the animal species, I would think, beause the purpose of the eggs is to reproduce, which animals must do to survive. It would conflict with the survival of the species were it to be done commonly or as a general rule.

true, it is more of a survival thing, altho it would be nearly imposible to determine if it were depresion or non interest in responsibility in some cases. i can't completly rule it out.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:26 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15106 wrote:
trapped.by.parties;15102 wrote:

Which means that they weren't supporting abortion, which effectively takes away the argument that it can be used to support abortion, because they probably had no idea it would be interpreted in this way and usually have used no other venue to express their views on the subject, so we cannot tell what their intent would have been supposing they thought of abortion.

no, but it can still be held as a legal loophole.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:28 pm
@LukeN,
There can be many legal loopholes depending ow you look at it.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:41 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15110 wrote:
There can be many legal loopholes depending ow you look at it.

true, But i believe the question here is are you pro life or pro choice. I think we have both stated our stances. I don't believe the choice should be taken away. Not for reasons of instinct, Just the idea having the freedom to choose. There is nothing wrong with oposing abortion either, at least you have the balls to stand up for what you believe in. right or wrong.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:42 pm
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15112 wrote:
true, But i believe the question here is are you pro life or pro choice. I think we have both stated our stances. I don't believe the choice should be taken away. Not for reasons of instinct, Just the idea having the freedom to choose. There is nothing wrong with oposing abortion either, at least you have the balls to stand up for what you believe in. right or wrong.

Like i said i would never do it, But i don't feel as if i should stop someone else from doing it.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:48 pm
@LukeN,
Well yes, I am pro-life anti-abortion. I disagree with saying that you are pro-life but don't want to oppose abortion openly or enforce their beliefes on someone else(I'm pretty sure that isn't what you are saying though?). If you believe that abortion is wrong, I think you should say so and do something about it.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:02 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15114 wrote:
Well yes, I am pro-life anti-abortion. I disagree with saying that you are pro-life but don't want to oppose abortion openly or enforce their beliefes on someone else(I'm pretty sure that isn't what you are saying though?). If you believe that abortion is wrong, I think you should say so and do something about it.

well i think the idea of freedom is more important than my moral stance on the subject. I feel more strongly for the freedom than i do the morals. that's just my personal belief. The same goes for homosexuality. I don't care if a man wants to love another man. as long as they don't continue to hit on me after i have told them i'm not into that kind of thing. After that point i am going to knock them out. I have had many friends who were homos, they are the same as me ecept they don't have sex with women. That is just my personal stance.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:10 pm
@LukeN,
Too much freedom equals anarchy, too little, injustice. On-demand abortion is too much freedom for the woman as she can do what she wills with another life, and too little for the baby, which can be killed upon a whim. How to balance it out? give them both the same freedoms, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; foremost, life.

And I think homosexuals can be homosexual, just that they should not exceed civil unions and go into the religious concept of marriages. What's the difference but the term and the religious nature of the union?
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:20 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15121 wrote:
Too much freedom equals anarchy, too little, injustice. On-demand abortion is too much freedom for the woman as she can do what she wills with another life, and too little for the baby, which can be killed upon a whim. How to balance it out? give them both the same freedoms, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; foremost, life.

And I think homosexuals can be homosexual, just that they should not exceed civil unions and go into the religious concept of marriages. What's the difference but the term and the religious nature of the union?

but what would be more cruel, extinguishing the life before it is life or forcing the baby to live in a world with no mother or father, a father who abondons it and a mother who detests it becasue she didn't want it in the first place? I've had this argument with myself over and over agian. I mean the before the third or so trymester the fetus is just a living organism. If it were wrong to kill living organisms then it should be wrong to kill bacteria.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:50 pm
@LukeN,
This has been brought up before very recently. As human life, it is wrong to kill it because that is murder. It is not the same as bacteria. it is human life and it has a brain and a heart and will very, very soon be conscious. It is simply fully formed during the third trimester. Its brain forms in around the third or fourth week. From conception, it is sure to be what it is going to be if it survives. For example, if it's going to be a male, dark hair, blue eyes, average intelligence, etc., it's not going to change what it will be the next week to blonde, green eyes, and female. It is going to be a human, and it will develop traits early on. To kill bacteria is much different.

And unless they have depression, most people would rather be alive than have never been born.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 04:02 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;15127 wrote:
This has been brought up before very recently. As human life, it is wrong to kill it because that is murder. It is not the same as bacteria. it is human life and it has a brain and a heart and will very, very soon be conscious. It is simply fully formed during the third trimester. Its brain forms in around the third or fourth week. From conception, it is sure to be what it is going to be if it survives. For example, if it's going to be a male, dark hair, blue eyes, average intelligence, etc., it's not going to change what it will be the next week to blonde, green eyes, and female. It is going to be a human, and it will develop traits early on. To kill bacteria is much different.

And unless they have depression, most people would rather be alive than have never been born.

it's an ameoba, a cluster of cells comming together to form a child. it's not a child yet. i mean you can nitpick details but a child is not a child untill it is born. it will never know the difference between life and death untill it gets much older. My son is almost 3 now and is just now getting an understanding of life and death. those traits you speak of are mostly inherited traits, comming from the mother and the father. what if the father has strong clinical mental problems that cause murderous impulses. Or if the child is going to die within the first two years of its life span. The connection to the baby would not be as strong with the parents before they recognize it as a person. There generally will be less depression with an abortion than growing to love the baby for two years and watching it die.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 04:03 pm
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15130 wrote:
it's an ameoba, a cluster of cells comming together to form a child. it's not a child yet. i mean you can nitpick details but a child is not a child untill it is born. it will never know the difference between life and death untill it gets much older. My son is almost 3 now and is just now getting an understanding of life and death. those traits you speak of are mostly inherited traits, comming from the mother and the father. what if the father has strong clinical mental problems that cause murderous impulses. Or if the child is going to die within the first two years of its life span. The connection to the baby would not be as strong with the parents before they recognize it as a person. There generally will be less depression with an abortion than growing to love the baby for two years and watching it die.

it's like this, if my wife would have misscarried and my son would have died, i wouldn't be AS upset as i would if my son died right now. i wouldn't have grown to love the lump in my wifes belly as much as i have grown to love my son. as he is today.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 04:19 pm
@LukeN,
This is your opinion and really, I think the only way to be fair is to nitpick details. Does it really matter whether it knows the difference between life and death? Yo're killing it anyway, whether it knows it or not.

And how in the world are you supposed to know when it will die? You can't get an abortion because it might die at a young age.

And here's an account of Kathy Sparks, a former abortion worker, to throw something in the mix:

"Sometimes we lied," Kathy says. "A girl might ask what her baby was like at a certain point in the pregnancy: Was it a baby yet? Even as early as twelve weeks a baby is totally formed, he has fingerprints, turns his head, fans his toes, feels pain. But we would say 'it's not a baby yet. It's just a tissue, like a clot.'"