Pro Life, or Pro Choice?

0Megabyte

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 03:06 pm
@LukeN,
"Didn't it say person, not citizen? So now we can kill noncitizens?"

Is that all? Perhaps I misphrased that. However, first of all, they AREN'T citizens and thus not subject to the projections we give citizens.

I never said they were not living humans. I said they were not persons. Didn't you see my multiple admissions to them being human? And it certainly isn't yet everything it will be. It's what it is at that time. What it WILL be and what it IS is different.

"At the time, the court was well stocked with liberals."

What's your point? Something wrong with liberals? Wasn't that true of Brown v. Board as well?

Wasn't it in fact conservatives who were fighting to keep segregation? Your scorn is misplaced, I think. Liberals have been fighting for freedom, while conservatives? To keep blacks and women in their place. Good to see which side you're on.

"From the moment of conception, the baby is defined as everything it will be, it has al it's DNA and it is a living human, even if you don't think it looks like one. Your hand has no chance of becoming a fully-fledged person."

Actually, thanks to cloning, cells from my hand are fully capable of becoming an actual human, at least they will be very soon.

But I digress. Defined as everything it WILL be?

Someday your body WILL be either dead or old, decrepit and catatonic. LEt's not be talking about what the human body WILL be, shall we?

Adn I said it was human, didn't I? I made that perfectly clear. What it is not is a person.

A small clump of cells in the first few months is, first, not viable, and REQUIRES a mother to continue living. If that mother does not wish to have that child, figuratively chaining her to a wall, as making abortion illegal would do, is an evil act.
Reagaknight

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 03:16 pm
@LukeN,
Quote:
I never said they were not living humans. I said they were not persons. Didn't you see my multiple admissions to them being human? And it certainly isn't yet everything it will be. It's what it is at that time. What it WILL be and what it IS is different.

They are persons. They will definitely become a human being and a person. All their traits are defined at conception.

Quote:
Wasn't it in fact conservatives who were fighting to keep segregation? Your scorn is misplaced, I think. Liberals have been fighting for freedom, while conservatives? To keep blacks and women in their place. Good to see which side you're on.

Well, Democrats are the party of liberals and segregationists, Republicans of conservatives and civil rights supporters. Libs just pander to minorities.

Cloning=aritificial, man-made

Birth= natural

Quote:
Someday your body WILL be either dead or old, decrepit and catatonic. LEt's not be talking about what the human body WILL be, shall we?

Adn I said it was human, didn't I? I made that perfectly clear. What it is not is a person.

But my body will have ceased life processes. What do you call a person? Thanks to science, it can survive outside the mother as an embryo in an incubator, etc.

The mother doesn't own the child, does she. Do you know most early feminists were anti-abortion?
0 Replies

0Megabyte

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:15 pm
@LukeN,
"They are persons. They will definitely become a human being and a person. All their traits are defined at conception."

Obviously, we define person differently.

the classical definition of person is "a human being regarded as an individual"

Of course, in current times, there's a lot of debate as to what the word means. Some good current definitions include things such as personal identity, self-awareness, individuality adn a sense of self.

John Locke emphasized that a person is a living being is that is conscious of itself as persisting over time. (and therefore, able to have conscious preferences about its own future.) Embryos don't even have brains.

Boethius, a CHRISTIAN philosopher of the sixth century, said "Person is an individual substance of rational nature. As individual it is material, since matter supplies the principle of individuation. The soul is not person, only the composite is. Man alone is among the material beings person, he alone having a rational nature. He is the highest of the material beings, endowed with particular dignity and rights. "

Let's use those things for a moment. My hand, for example, is human life. It's not a person, based on that.

The embryo will not BECOME a human. It IS one already. However, it is not a person.

A child is a person. An adult human is a person. A mentally challenged adult is a person. My hand is not a person. A one week old embryo is not a person. A brain-dead human being which cannot regain consciousness is not a person.

Said one week old embryo, about nine months later, is definitely a person. It will BECOME one. But at the one week, it's not.

at that point in time, the clump of cells can separate and become several individuals, each of which can become a person. How can an entity following my definition, designated by things such as continuation of self, individuality and self-consciousness, split into two? It cannot.

Speaking of which, your words about cloning are false. This is because identical twins are, in effect, a natural form of cloning.

Also, how are you defining nature, precisely? Something occuring in the world without human actions? Cloning happens all the time in nature, actually, when I think about it. Not in humans, but in certain lizards, and in many, many kinds of micro-organisms.

Back to the embryos, they have no brains. They cannot be conscious. They have no more say than an ameoba. And at that early stage, about as much potential for pain.

You also said, above, that their traits are all preset. Not true at all.

First of all, much of human traits are based on experience and choice, not genetics. Those things aren't set in the womb. Whether the clump of cells will become one or five separate individuals is not set, either, due to twinning. Their education will decide much. Their physical traits will be affected by their environment, outside chemical influences. Besides which, they don't have most of those traits THEN. I wasn't conscious when I was concieved, nor were you. We weren't people under those definitions above.

I'll concede, that that definition of persons does not anywhere state that only people are allowed rights. In the rights of animals, which are not people, we have some interesting things to think of.

But, in this regard of whether or not that definition matters, let's go on to the next portion of your arguement.

"The mother doesn't own the child, does she. "

The mother doesn't own the child, of course. However, she owns her own body, and has a right not to allow another entity to use it.

You, for example, have no right to my blood. If I gave you blood that you needed to survive, that would be entirely voluntary on my part, for I have no moral obligation to give it to you. Blood is, of course, minor compared to what a woman gives her unborn child. Blood is a minor inconvenience in comparison.

A fetus uses the mother's body for survival, and at those early stages won't really survive unless implanted. As time goes on, that baby uses more, and the use becomes much more straining. In the end, childbirth occurs, and the mother's body may be heavily damaged or killed. The natural process is, of course, incredibly painful.

Just as I have no obligation to give you blood, a woman has no obligation to give a fetus her own nutrients.

But, I'll concede that after a large number of months, when that fetus has grown, can potentially feel pain, can live outside of the mother (and grow, not as a frozen cell-cickle.) and the mother has, naturally, known about the fetus for a number of months, that to decide to terminate that baby then should not be tolerated.

As for your talk of Democrats, you clearly lack a sense of accuracy in history.

The Democrats of the time of the civil war are not the same as today. The Democrats then, if they were taken to today's times, would be roughly closer to Republicans in ideology (you know, the part that matters.). And vice-versa.

Southern Democrats, that is, the ones who through much of the 20th century fought against civil rights and whatnot, were only democrats because of historical reasons, NOT ideological ones! Why would, eighty years ago, when people from the Civil War could have potentially still been alive, southen Democrats have joined the Republican party, whose viewpoints more closely matched their own?

I know I wouldn't have joined my "conquerors."

Also, in the current age, Republicans don't support civil rights for groups such as homosexuals.

To say that Republicans, ideologically and currently as an organization, supports civil rights is a falsehood! I don't believe you were intentionally lying, but it was certainly false, regardless of your beliefs.

Panderers. Ha. Conservatives pander to evangelical Christians, many of whom would turn this country into a Christian flavored, Iranesque theocracy! Have you even heard the eyewitness accounts of the scorn the current Republican leadership has for those they're taking support from in those quarters?

Also, read up on Dominionism, also called Christian Nationalism. It's frightening. Not something to be overtly concerned about at the moment, as they aren't about to go try to take over through violent means, but they're a group to be aware of. A group that, if they had their way, would make our nation the same kind of theocracy as Iran has. (Only, you know, Christian instead of Muslim.)

In this case, in many ways, I'll concede perhaps that both parties pander. It's politics, both sides do it. To say one side is a panderer while the other is not is, again, a blatant falsehood. It's unchristian. (remember what Jesus said about the log in your own eye, et al.)

"Do you know most early feminists were anti-abortion?"

Why should I care? I disagree with them. Who said I was a feminist, anyway?
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:28 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14241 wrote:
I sympothize with Brian although I'd stop short of caling myself pro-abortion

I pay Social Security into a system I'll never collect benniefts from
. Meanwhile my Senator will collect his full pay for the rest of his life, Pay that comes from my tax dollars

I pay taxes to public schools neither I nor my children attend

anyone with a landline phone is still paying a tax which was supposed to expire at the end of WWI

I pay taxes that provide government money for college to kids who refuse to serve their country and can't afford college

and I don't even want to think about where my money will go if Hildabeast gets elected. Do you kow last year in Germany tax money payed for a 12 year old to have a sex change operation because he was low income?

Taxes as a whole are out of control, reform needs to happen, and that means allot less money for welfare moms and the like.

Family has no money? Can't afford college? Enlist, it worked great for my Dad and Me!

[/rant]

Well stated and as a US citizen, I thank you and your Dad for your loyal service.

Personal responsibility and entitlement. Being in America, I feel this country supports individual independence. Some people are too eager to look to others for solutions when, IMO, they need to look to themselves and perhaps their religious doctrine.

Taxes, taxes, taxes. Haven't we tried to deal with this since our country's inception? And, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the income tax installed during the Civil War by President Abraham Lincoln. Didn't he need revenue to fund the war effort? And wasn't it originally meant to be temporary. By addressing the primary reasons why income tax started could there be a case to eliminate it?
Just looking to expand.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:35 pm
@LukeN,
it's just about personal responsibility. So many people told me "hang out and collect unemployment before you start you new job, it's yours to take" when I got out of the military. Instead I started my new career while on terminal leave. If I'm going to make extra money I'll earn it, and no hard working American should have to pay one cent of their pay to someone who habitually uses the system as a binky
chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:15 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14386 wrote:
it's just about personal responsibility. So many people told me "hang out and collect unemployment before you start you new job, it's yours to take" when I got out of the military. Instead I started my new career while on terminal leave. If I'm going to make extra money I'll earn it, and no hard working American should have to pay one cent of their pay to someone who habitually uses the system as a binky

]

Same here - regarding unemployment. I have known people to use it as a buffer between employment. But, for whatever reason, although I did contribute to the fund, I was not comfortable with idea. I could not do it and I do not attribute it to machoism, just felt wrong.

Well, I am comfortable using my taxes to pay for the unemployment system. As a concept, I think it is good. I applaud responsible people who use our systems fairly. However, people who abuse programs for their own selfish gain, I cannot tolerate.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:38 pm
@LukeN,
America is still uncomfortable with the topic of sex, in Europe the teen sex rate is higher, and the teen pregnancy rate lower. Why? Education. We live in a society that glorifies violence and hates free sexuality. The result, a higher teen pregnancy rate then we need, and a much higher crime rate.
briansol

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:46 pm
@0Megabyte,
Reagaknight;14239 wrote:
Why not adoption?

There's already 343124233432 kids in the foster system. don't need another. And yet, all the celebs go to other countries to get babies.

0Megabyte;14240 wrote:
briansol, you said "I'm tired of paying welfare and supporting your kid."

Your lack of empathy annoys me.

:dunno: It's my opinion. You're entitled to yours.

I'm just sick and tired of seeing girls 17 years old with 3 kids. 99.8% of them aren't working. I'm paying for them to screw their "baby's daddies" and be irresponsible, and i'm sick of working my ass off for their poor choices to pay for them.

Sure, it's not the kids fault..... which leads me back to another thread i posted here about welfare. MY opinion on that, is if you have a kid and want to go on welfare, you should be required to be neutered. If you don't want to be neutered, you don't need welfare THAT bad.

Silverchild79;14241 wrote:
Taxes as a whole are out of control, reform needs to happen, and that means allot less money for welfare moms and the like.

Family has no money? Can't afford college? Enlist, it worked great for my Dad and Me!

you DON'T need a college education to be successful or not be on welfare.

I do not hold a degree. I live "very comfortably" because i worked my ass off.

welfare breeds laziness.

pun totally intended.
chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:50 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;14393 wrote:
America is still uncomfortable with the topic of sex, in Europe the teen sex rate is higher, and the teen pregnancy rate lower. Why? Education. We live in a society that glorifies violence and hates free sexuality. The result, a higher teen pregnancy rate then we need, and a much higher crime rate.

I wholeheartedly support this position.
0 Replies

0Megabyte

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:56 pm
@LukeN,
"By addressing the primary reasons why income tax started could there be a case to eliminate it? "

Well, is it okay for me to help?

Apparently, and this was a surprise to me, the income tax was first suggested in the U.S. during the War of 1812. The first income tax was actually used during the Civil War, then was ended in 1872. Next it was used during the Spanish-American war.

It was begun again after the 16th Amendment was passed in 1913.

Here's the wikipedia article on U.S. income tax, because I can't describe its reasoning well enough, and it's ocnvenient.

Income tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's look at how much of our government's spending comes from income tax:

Total: 2,268,895,122,000. That's ~2.27 trillion dollars.

Out of that, 307,094,837,000 came from Corporate Income Tax. That's ~307 billion dollars.

Total individual income and employment taxes amounts to:

1,878,942,656,000. That's ~1.88 trillion dollars.

Together, those two forms of income tax amount to ~2.187 trillion dollars.

That's... nearly all of it.

If I remember correctly, the military (which is something we definitely need to pay for) was, all together, over 400 billion dollars. That's more than the entire corporate income tax.

Social Security and Medicaid together form about 1.1 trillion. Leading together, those three largest sources of spending come together to about 1.5 trillion. (rough, rough estimates. Probably several hundred billion dollars off.)

Regardless of the reasoning for income taxes, getting rid of them would rob many of our elderly of their ability to survive, eliminate medicaid, which is the US health insurance program for people with low incomes, thus causing much hardship amongst the poor, and would leave us militarily defenseless.

In other words, getting rid of these taxes would leave our poor and elderly defenseless, and eliminate our society's means of defending itself from outside threats, at the same time.

In addition, practically all other federal government services would have to stop. It would not be pretty.

There is no othe viable way to get that kind of money. The Federal Government needs it to provide those big three services, along with all the other smaller ones they have. Unless you want to eliminate the federal government, which in this day and age is fundamentally unwise, elimination of the income tax would be the definition of catastrophe.
chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:57 pm
@briansol,
Did have the patience to use the proper posting procedure.

"There's already 343124233432 kids in the foster system. don't need another. And yet, all the celebs go to other countries to get babies."

Good stat, what study? People are free to adopt who they want.

":dunno: It's my opinion. You're entitled to yours."

Look up empathy.

"I'm just sick and tired of seeing girls 17 years old with 3 kids. 99.8% of them aren't working. I'm paying for them to screw their "baby's daddies" and be irresponsible, and i'm sick of working my ass off for their poor choices to pay for them."

Again, good stats. what study? 

"Sure, it's not the kids fault..... which leads me back to another thread i posted here about welfare. MY opinion on that, is if you have a kid and want to go on welfare, you should be required to be neutered. If you don't want to be neutered, you don't need welfare THAT bad."

Forcible human nuetering. Do you identify yourself with other groups who support this position? If so, please name.

"you DON'T need a college education to be successful or not be on welfare.

welfare breeds laziness.

pun totally intended."

Good for you for working your ass. I, myself feel I do work hard. I would agree a degree/diploma certifcate of merit does not necessarily guarantee financial sucess. Please clarfify your definition of welfare.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:00 pm
@0Megabyte,
0Megabyte;14397 wrote:
"By addressing the primary reasons why income tax started could there be a case to eliminate it? "

"Well, is it okay for me to help?... which in this day and age is fundamentally unwise, elimination of the income tax would be the definition of catastrophe.

Thank you for the education. No sarcasm.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:16 pm
@0Megabyte,
0Megabyte;14397 wrote:

There is no othe viable way to get that kind of money. The Federal Government needs it to provide those big three services, along with all the other smaller ones they have. Unless you want to eliminate the federal government, which in this day and age is fundamentally unwise, elimination of the income tax would be the definition of catastrophe.

Again, thank you. I believe your stats. I strongly believe a society should be measured on defined living standards for the least able citizens. Unfortunately, I do not define America by that stat. Not sure even America claimed to be that. (I certainly do not the hold the idea of America responsible either. Quite impossible)

Who pays for it? Contemplate this. I would say America as a culture places strong emphasis on individual financial status. So, could corporate America sponsor our society's program. May initially sound ridiculous, I admit that. Yeah, "Sprite's Homes for the Homeless"

I am aware of the Ronald McDonald, etc and other corporate sponsors, etc.

Just asking why can't we ask them for more? What if we showed them, somehow, there is profit through philantrophy?
0 Replies

0Megabyte

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:26 pm
@LukeN,
" It's my opinion. You're entitled to yours.

I'm just sick and tired of seeing girls 17 years old with 3 kids. 99.8% of them aren't working. I'm paying for them to screw their "baby's daddies" and be irresponsible, and i'm sick of working my ass off for their poor choices to pay for them. "

Care to back up those statistics? Or is that just your bias talking, regardless of facts?

Your complaints about paying for them, first of all, is rediculous. The costs to our nation due to teenage pregnancy annually is $7 billion annually, counting health care, foster care, criminal justice and public assistance, as well as lost tax revenue. That's about 23 dollars per person per year going to support these people.

You're so stingy you can't spend 23 bucks a year (on average) to help people who need it? Wow. I guess you can't be a Christian then, if you can't do that.

Now. yes, teen mothers are more likely to go into welfare at some point than other women.

In fact, 52 percent of all mothers on welfare had their first child during teenage years. (Not saying they were teenagers then, just that they had their first kid during that point in time.)

Teen mothers are, yes, less likely to finish high school and go to college.

But if you've ever had a kid to support, you could guess why pretty damn easily.

Which leads to the fact that two thirds of families in which the mother had her first child under the age of 18 are poor. No wonder. Doesn't help that 8 percent of the fathers dont' marry the women. They pay little child support, often because they're poor themselves.

This teenage mother thing isn't a big surprise, of course, considering that the average age of marriage has increased by about four years since the 1950's, and first menses in women occurs earlier, causing teens today to begin having sex about 8 years before the time they get married.

In the old days, teenage parantege wasn't as big a problem, since they got married during teenage years as well. Not something that happens now, when college is something more people persue, and is needed more than it used to be.

The median income for college graduates has incresed 13 percent in the past 25 years. For high school dropouts, it's decreased 30 percent. When you have a kid, it's much harder to graduate high school. I think it's obvious where some of the poverty that leads to needing welfare comes from, or are you such a hard hearted unchristian person that you can't see it?

Now, I couldn't find any stats for their employment rates, but you're the one who stated 99.whatever percent, why don't you prove it?

Of course, you're worried about the big whole terrible 23 bucks a year.
0Megabyte

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:26 pm
@LukeN,
Link for the data I provided.

http://www.teenpregnancy.org/resources/data/pdf/notjust.pdf
0 Replies

0Megabyte

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:32 pm
@LukeN,
Thanks for the thanks, chuck!

Anyway, as for the corporate things, I'm not sure how much they give through philanthropy. Thats a whole other subject, of course, and I'm not sure about that.

In general, I'm not really certain what you're getting at, though, so could you please expain?
briansol

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:41 pm
@0Megabyte,
chuckc;14398 wrote:

Quote:

"There's already 343124233432 kids in the foster system. don't need another. And yet, all the celebs go to other countries to get babies."

Good stat, what study? People are free to adopt who they want.

obviously, it was just a number out of the hat. But there's probably a million kids, or at least high xxx,xxx living in orphaniages or trading "parents" every 2 years.

Quote:

Quote:

":dunno: It's my opinion. You're entitled to yours."

Look up empathy.

I'm well familiar with the word. Unfortunately, to be empathetic, i'd have to be on welfare, and have 3 kids. Therefore, i cannot be.
Quote:

Quote:

"I'm just sick and tired of seeing girls 17 years old with 3 kids. 99.8% of them aren't working. I'm paying for them to screw their "baby's daddies" and be irresponsible, and i'm sick of working my ass off for their poor choices to pay for them."

Again, good stats. what study?

don't need stats or a study. I can go take pics of downtown if you want. I'm sure there's some welfare mom out looking for crack as we speak.

Quote:

Quote:

"Sure, it's not the kids fault..... which leads me back to another thread i posted here about welfare. MY opinion on that, is if you have a kid and want to go on welfare, you should be required to be neutered. If you don't want to be neutered, you don't need welfare THAT bad."

Forcible human nuetering. Do you identify yourself with other groups who support this position? If so, please name.

I'm forcing nothing. It's 100% your choice.
Welfare + neutered OR no welfare and no neutering.

If you can't afford what you have now, you surely can't afford ANOTHER.

Quote:

Quote:

"you DON'T need a college education to be successful or not be on welfare.

welfare breeds laziness.

pun totally intended."

Good for you for working your ass. I, myself feel I do work hard. I would agree a degree/diploma certifcate of merit does not necessarily guarantee financial sucess. Please clarfify your definition of welfare.

don't get me wrong... there is a time and a place for welfare. People DO run into hard times, get laid off from their jobs, and so on. My problem with welfare is the people who NEVER "get back on their feet again" or weren't on their feet in the first place.

NO ONE has helped me.
My parents never bought me a damn thing.
I bought my first car at 16 with earnings from slinging papers from 13-16.
I went to public schools, and had every opportunity that everyone else in my town did to learn and better themselves.

How come I make nearly 100k a year, and they mooch the system?

Why? because I worked my ass off, learned something, and became good at what I do.
They... were lazy, didn't do ****, watched springer, had 213 kids and now i pay for them.

and i'm sick and tired of it. TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN.

I paid nearly $36,000 in taxes last year. 36 THOUSAND DOLLARS. Why? so they can keep popping out kids and I can keep feeding them.

But, if i didn't pay that, my car would get stolen, my house would be robbed, and in general, the community would go to ****. Which is why everyone is afraid of taking welfare away.

Get a f'ing job.
if you can't feed your kids flipping burgers for 8 hours a day, flip burgers for 16-20 hours a day. You did it, no suck up and f'in deal with your choices. Still can't do it? learn something in your off-time that will make you more money.

Look at the Pursuit of Happyness movie. Had NOTHING, slept in a bathroom, never ONCE mentioned going on welfare. Worked his ass off trying to better himself, and in the end, it paid off.

I have no pity, no empathy, and certainly no sympathy.
chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:45 pm
@0Megabyte,
0Megabyte;14403 wrote:
Thanks for the thanks, chuck!

Anyway, as for the corporate things, I'm not sure how much they give through philanthropy. Thats a whole other subject, of course, and I'm not sure about that.

In general, I'm not really certain what you're getting at, though, so could you please expain?

I'll try to clarify. Our federal government demands our citizens, through their taxes, fund social programs in our country. Our religious institutions address our social ills through volunteerism. Other non-religious groups do this as well.

The heart of the issue, I feel is the question, Who pays for it? Myself, I am okay with the concept that my taxes go toward societial repair. Others are not.

Let's look to what entities financially profit the most from America's free capitalist system. I am theorizing, if we could demonstrate, through real stats and studies, that philantropy is profitable, corporations would be inclined to fund more social programs. It is my understanding that the primary goal of any business is profit. If we could align our social programs with the needs of business.....well.....what country could America be? Just asking.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:49 pm
@briansol,
Whew.

briansol;14405 wrote:
obviously, it was just a number out of the hat. But there's probably a million kids, or at least high xxx,xxx living in orphaniages or trading "parents" every 2 years.

I'm well familiar with the word. Unfortunately, to be empathetic, i'd have to be on welfare, and have 3 kids. Therefore, i cannot be.

don't need stats or a study. I can go take pics of downtown if you want. I'm sure there's some welfare mom out looking for crack as we speak.

I'm forcing nothing. It's 100% your choice.
Welfare + neutered OR no welfare and no neutering.

If you can't afford what you have now, you surely can't afford ANOTHER.

don't get me wrong... there is a time and a place for welfare. People DO run into hard times, get laid off from their jobs, and so on. My problem with welfare is the people who NEVER "get back on their feet again" or weren't on their feet in the first place.

NO ONE has helped me.
My parents never bought me a damn thing.
I bought my first car at 16 with earnings from slinging papers from 13-16.
I went to public schools, and had every opportunity that everyone else in my town did to learn and better themselves.

How come I make nearly 100k a year, and they mooch the system?

Why? because I worked my ass off, learned something, and became good at what I do.
They... were lazy, didn't do ****, watched springer, had 213 kids and now i pay for them.

and i'm sick and tired of it. TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN.

I paid nearly $36,000 in taxes last year. 36 THOUSAND DOLLARS. Why? so they can keep popping out kids and I can keep feeding them.

But, if i didn't pay that, my car would get stolen, my house would be robbed, and in general, the community would go to ****. Which is why everyone is afraid of taking welfare away.

Get a f'ing job.
if you can't feed your kids flipping burgers for 8 hours a day, flip burgers for 16-20 hours a day. You did it, no suck up and f'in deal with your choices. Still can't do it? learn something in your off-time that will make you more money.

Look at the Pursuit of Happyness movie. Had NOTHING, slept in a bathroom, never ONCE mentioned going on welfare. Worked his ass off trying to better himself, and in the end, it paid off.

I have no pity, no empathy, and certainly no sympathy.

Perhaps I can understand you better if you answer only these questions.

Explain your decision making process. Do you look to statistical evidence to back your opinion? Or is your opinion primarly what you feel at a gut level? Just looking for answers.

Not sure what word reference book you are using, but I use this definition of empathy when I mention the word.

Empathy (from the Greek ????????, "to make suffer") is commonly defined as one's ability to recognize, perceive and directly experientially feel the emotion of another.

Answers to this. That's all I need.
briansol

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:57 pm
@0Megabyte,
0Megabyte;14401 wrote:

Quote:
It's my opinion. You're entitled to yours.

I'm just sick and tired of seeing girls 17 years old with 3 kids. 99.8% of them aren't working. I'm paying for them to screw their "baby's daddies" and be irresponsible, and i'm sick of working my ass off for their poor choices to pay for them.

Care to back up those statistics? Or is that just your bias talking, regardless of facts?

come to down town. you can see it for yourself.

Quote:

Your complaints about paying for them, first of all, is rediculous. The costs to our nation due to teenage pregnancy annually is $7 billion annually, counting health care, foster care, criminal justice and public assistance, as well as lost tax revenue. That's about 23 dollars per person per year going to support these people.

of course, this figure is BS...

because, that assumes the entire population is not on welfare. which is not the case

Quote:

You're so stingy you can't spend 23 bucks a year (on average) to help people who need it? Wow. I guess you can't be a Christian then, if you can't do that.

I'm far from stingy. I tip 25%, i donate to many funds liek the red cross, cancer research, etc through the year.

My problem is that if they actually TRIED in life, the WOULDN'T need it. They don't try. They are lazy, and just collect their checks. Must be nice.

And this really has nothing to do with religion or being a christian.

I'm more than willing to help those who help themselves. I prefer illegal immigrants to people on welfare. Why? because they come here and bust their asses trying to make something for themselves, even if they have 11 kids at home. They don't just sit there expecting a handout.

Quote:

Now. yes, teen mothers are more likely to go into welfare at some point than other women.

In fact, 52 percent of all mothers on welfare had their first child during teenage years. (Not saying they were teenagers then, just that they had their first kid during that point in time.)

Teen mothers are, yes, less likely to finish high school and go to college.

But if you've ever had a kid to support, you could guess why pretty damn easily.

Which leads to the fact that two thirds of families in which the mother had her first child under the age of 18 are poor. No wonder. Doesn't help that 8 percent of the fathers dont' marry the women. They pay little child support, often because they're poor themselves.

This teenage mother thing isn't a big surprise, of course, considering that the average age of marriage has increased by about four years since the 1950's, and first menses in women occurs earlier, causing teens today to begin having sex about 8 years before the time they get married.

In the old days, teenage parantege wasn't as big a problem, since they got married during teenage years as well. Not something that happens now, when college is something more people persue, and is needed more than it used to be.

All of which, indirectly, supports my neutered + check program. Smile I f you can't afford one, you surely can't afford two. If you want us to help you out, agree that this is your last kid. Simple.

Quote:

The median income for college graduates has incresed 13 percent in the past 25 years. For high school dropouts, it's decreased 30 percent. When you have a kid, it's much harder to graduate high school. I think it's obvious where some of the poverty that leads to needing welfare comes from, or are you such a hard hearted unchristian person that you can't see it?

There's too many options now-a-days to not finish higschool. The GED is a joke of a test, and can be taken in all of 4 hours of your life.

You can even complete a full BA/BS degree ONLINE now, without ever leaving the house.

If they had some ambition, they could buy a $50 windows 98 computer, and pay $9.95 for dialup a month out of their checks.

Instead, they dress their kids with starter jackets and Air Jordans.

And again, I don't see how being a Christian or not has anything to do with it. Jesus himself taught people to be ambitious, not a lazy sack of shi**.

Quote:

Now, I couldn't find any stats for their employment rates, but you're the one who stated 99.whatever percent, why don't you prove it?

it was an arbitrary number. even if its not close, if it's over 1%, it's too much. 1% is a ton of people to just be mooching the system.

Quote:

Of course, you're worried about the big whole terrible 23 bucks a year.

I'm worried about my 36,000 that got taken from me last year.
far cry from 23 bucks, which, isn't remotely accurate in the first place.
0 Replies