Is there a god?

bergenslabb

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:32 pm
@Brent cv,
I do believe that man created gods, besides, most cultures through the ages have had their own version of who this god is.. Some didn't even believe in a god, but had different foundations for their religions. How can a christian, for example, know that his god is the right god? Religion ties people together, which I think is one of the main reasons for why there are so many christians in the US. So many communities center around churches, and being part of a church is a good way to become integrated in the society.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:34 pm
@Brent cv,
Quote:
How can a christian, for example, know that his god is the right god?

Faith.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:49 pm
@Brent cv,
True biblical faith is hard to find nowadays.
bergenslabb

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:29 pm
@Brent cv,
It makes no sense..
People who normally are completely rational suddenly throws everything logical out the window, because they have faith. Yet they can dismiss other people's faiths, or they can dismiss magic, witches and all that .. because that's just superstition. How come religion isn't superstition? To me it seems to be all the same, except people are comforted by religion.
markx15

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:50 pm
@Brent cv,
It might just be.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:53 pm
@Brent cv,
Who said it had to make sense.
spx

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:07 pm
@Brent cv,
Maybe it doesnt have to make sense, but the question underline remains: why is "superstition" nowhere near what people define a "religion" as. Smile
ns1clrk

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:29 pm
@markx15,
markx15;7489 wrote:
True biblical faith is hard to find nowadays.

Yup. Especially when geographical science and historical evidence continually disproves the Bible. Go ahead and ask how.
0 Replies

ns1clrk

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:33 pm
@spx,
spx;7635 wrote:
Maybe it doesnt have to make sense, but the question underline remains: why is "superstition" nowhere near what people define a "religion" as. Smile

Some people took superstition to that level. While it has faded away in recent years (with the improvement of education, and with recent technological advances) it still held a huge place in previous human eras.
0 Replies

ns1clrk

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:36 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;7509 wrote:
Who said it had to make sense.

Hmmm. Republicans and religion. Maybe there's a connection......I'm stumped....
ns1clrk

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:47 pm
@bergenslabb,
bergenslabb;7501 wrote:
It makes no sense..
People who normally are completely rational suddenly throws everything logical out the window, because they have faith. Yet they can dismiss other people's faiths, or they can dismiss magic, witches and all that .. because that's just superstition. How come religion isn't superstition? To me it seems to be all the same, except people are comforted by religion.

To be honest, the difference is in the intensity of "faith". "Faith" is a nickname for "there is a lack of evidence and my religion can be disproved, but I'll believe anyway because i have to cling to something emotionally".....I mean.....which is easier to say?
markx15

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 02:23 am
@Brent cv,
Quote:
Go ahead and ask how.

If it is your will let it be done!
How?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:41 am
@spx,
spx;7635 wrote:
Superstition as i see it is what the most people beleive is not true. As most of the world has faith that there is a God. I don't see how the two can be compared. And even if it is it will not change my faith.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:43 am
@ns1clrk,
ns1clrk;7656 wrote:
Hmmm. Republicans and religion. Maybe there's a connection......I'm stumped....
85% percent of this planets believes in God. You should be stumped.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:47 am
@ns1clrk,
ns1clrk;7657 wrote:
To be honest, the difference is in the intensity of "faith". "Faith" is a nickname for "there is a lack of evidence and my religion can be disproved, but I'll believe anyway because i have to cling to something emotionally".....I mean.....which is easier to say?
And in that same arguement you will also argue that you do not have faith in your belief that there is no God. Hipocritical as i think most logical people would come up with what i've just stated.

Caused or uncaused/cause? Lets talk about the spagetti monster? I have yet to talk to someone that says uncaused? Even atheist scientists.
Tulip cv

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 06:29 pm
@Drnaline,
Yes, there is a God...not to be confused with Muhommad and Allah...
0 Replies

oleo

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 06:34 pm
@Drnaline,
I was raised Catholic, by people who have been Catholic going back centuries.

It just made less and less sense to me as I got older. The injustice in the
world points out that God does not interfere directly in the lives of men.

Atheists are always accused of having no humility, since there is no God to
humble them. In reality, every Atheist I know is just extremely humbled by
nature and the universe. It's so powerful and immense and we are such a
powerless, microscopic speck. Our complete end wouldn't make a ripple
in the universe at all. We are a happenstance, an accident, a miracle... just
like the rest of nature, and that's all the reason that's needed to respect
all life and celebrate the one-in-a-million accidental development that is
the human race.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:07 am
@Brent cv,
Quote:
Yes, there is a God...not to be confused with Muhommad and Allah...

To each his own.
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:54 am
@Brent cv,
Some people cling to what they do, or have, in order to validate their existance. "I have a great job as a salesman.. I have worth" "I am a great father/mother... I have worth" "I am healthy and strong.. I have worth"
"I command great respect.. I have worth"

What if all of that was taken away? Who are you? What is your worth now?

It can all be taken away in an instant.

A vindictive lie from another person could take away your family, job and respect.

A parasite, unable to be seen with the human eye could take away your health. All in an instant.

Who are you then? What is your worth?

Psalm 139:13-15
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

Jesus or God cannot be taken away from me.. no matter what.

Romans 8:37-39
"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Who are you when it's all gone? What are you worth?
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 02:44 pm
@Brent cv,
Great post.