Is there a god?

couchp

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 08:33 am
@Brent cv,
I believe man created god in his own likeness. Then, faith generated what we have today. I think the fact that the church speaks for god, shows to me anyway that there is not one. And god as an all powerful omnipotent force should'nt he have spoken to us by now!
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 12:13 pm
@Brent cv,
Your giving us a little to much credit. Man kind i mean.
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:31 pm
@Brent cv,
How do you know God hasn't talked to us? Vocations in the Church are calls by God to do what he meant for you to do. Just because he has't talked to you...
92b16vx

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:39 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14914 wrote:
How do you know God hasn't talked to us? Vocations in the Church are calls by God to do what he meant for you to do. Just because he has't talked to you...

I think if your omnipotent creator of all things spoke to you...you'd know. Of course with a belief system in untangible, unprovable theory I guess anything is posible.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:51 pm
@Brent cv,
Theory, that's nice. I love how we all love to look at God as a scientific theory, and force religion to play on science's terms. And there are miracles unexplainable by science, etc.
92b16vx

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:55 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14919 wrote:
Theory, that's nice. I love how we all love to look at God as a scientific theory, and force religion to play on science's terms. And there are miracles unexplainable by science, etc.

I didn't say anything about science. Scientific hypothesis is only one of several definitions of the word theory.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:57 pm
@Brent cv,
So what, philosophical theory? It applies to most of the meanings.
92b16vx

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 03:11 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14923 wrote:
So what, philosophical theory? It applies to most of the meanings.

And?

Just to mix it up some...

Faith, that's nice. I love how we all love to look at storybooks, and force other people to play on religions terms. And there are miracles explainable by science, etc.
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 03:54 pm
@Brent cv,
How about a neutral playing field? Modern religion has got a few thousand years on you.
92b16vx

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 05:52 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;14934 wrote:
How about a neutral playing field? Modern religion has got a few thousand years on you.

Neutral? Religious zealots know nothing of neutral, so why should anyone that goes against them?

Quote:
Modern religion has got a few thousand years on you

Is that some kind of joke? You mean Buddism? Ok, Islam? getting colder. Christianity? You mean the Bible? the one that has been added to and subtracted from for over 2000 years, and the "authorized" version that was written in 1611? Laughable.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 05:58 pm
@Brent cv,
Quote:
Is that some kind of joke? You mean Buddism? Ok, Islam? getting colder. Christianity? You mean the Bible? the one that has been added to and subtracted from for over 2000 years, and the "authorized" version that was written in 1611? Laughable.

Okay, expanding on this would be nice. The Bible was compiled in the fourth century of existing books and has remained relatively the same in the Catholic church since.
0 Replies

couchp

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:50 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;14893 wrote:

I just think we are to blame for most things. Religion being probably the biggest cock up of all. But if one believes in something, then just maybe to them it exists! As Rome dictated the original terms and conditions of the Christian faith what gave them the right? I suppose the biggest God question is!
'Why suffer the little children' what do they know, so, yes man did create God in his likeness, with his moods, and personality. Which is why we bend religion to suit ourselves when need arises.
Reagaknight

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 04:46 am
@Brent cv,
Not Rome itself, Christian leaders from everywhere with significant Christian populations. They all got together and decided the specifics of their faith. Iguess you have a problem with Christians deciding whatt they themselves believe?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 06:42 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;14931 wrote:
And?

Just to mix it up some...

Faith, that's nice. I love how we all love to look at storybooks, and force other people to play on religions terms. And there are miracles explainable by science, etc.
Force, is some one forcing you?
Drnaline

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 06:49 am
@couchp,
couchp;15222 wrote:
I just think we are to blame for most things. Religion being probably the biggest cock up of all. But if one believes in something, then just maybe to them it exists! As Rome dictated the original terms and conditions of the Christian faith what gave them the right? I suppose the biggest God question is!
'Why suffer the little children' what do they know, so, yes man did create God in his likeness, with his moods, and personality. Which is why we bend religion to suit ourselves when need arises.
Quote:
As Rome dictated the original terms and conditions of the Christian faith what gave them the right?
It was there's to do with as they pleased. If you wrote/compiled a book, would it not be your right?
Quote:
'Why suffer the little children' what do they know, so, yes man did create God in his likeness, with his moods, and personality.
I don't see any proof, just an opinion?

Quote:
Which is why we bend religion to suit ourselves when need arises
What is it you bend when you want to suit yourself? Or are you without need?
0 Replies

couchp

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:33 pm
@Brent cv,
Yes its just an opinion, not Rome as such but I think it was Constantine at byzantium (Constantinople ) who got the then bishops together and formulated the rules. I have no problem with christians only the history of the subject. I do believe man created God, but as you say its my opinion.
0 Replies

couchp

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:36 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;14893 wrote:

Yeah well we are pretty clever you know!
markx15

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 05:17 pm
@Brent cv,
We have the brain power, but lack the colective willpower, maybe that is what God is, the only way to unite into a front for the well being of all. Too bad we spend so much time killing each other and treating others with disdain that we forget to think as we are unquestionably, a civilization, and we need to enshure that we are not merely another failed attempt. That will only happen when everyone, and I mean everyone, realizes that yes one person can go a long way, but 6 billion can go much further.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:07 pm
@couchp,
couchp;15341 wrote:
Yeah well we are pretty clever you know!
As clever as we are, we are still barely hairless apes.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:40 pm
@Brent cv,
"And god as an all powerful omnipotent force should'nt he have spoken to us by now!"

He did, Wild Man. His name is Jesus Christ. The real question remains whether or not one believes in Jesus. That's the bottom line.
0 Replies