Is there a god?

lowflyn

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:59 am
@jatuab,
jatuab wrote:
That's more of a knowledge concept than a physical thing. Why would Jesus or God need to physically ride in car when, spiritually speaking, They're everywhere?

I dunno bout ya'll...but I know some sort of spirit has been with me while doing some of the stupidest stuff ever in a car lol. May not have been jesus himself, but it was someone close.
0 Replies

coolgal

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:05 am
@Brent cv,
Hi, I am new here, haven't read all of the threads to this post, there are quite a few! apologies therefore if i am repeating somebody else's words, but i believe that man invented god because basically man finds life sometimes so overwhelmingly good and sometimes so terribly bad that they desperately search for some meaning to it all - and then there was god.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 02:32 pm
@Brent cv,
Man can invent god but not the other way around? In any case, welcome.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:34 pm
@Brent cv,
I'm not saying God invented man, or vice versa.

However, the human brain is wired to believe in a higher power. Several scientific studies have shown this, and when I have time I will dig up what I can find about them if there is interest.
ndjs

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:35 pm
@jatuab,
jatuab wrote:
There's also mention of David dancing, and I think David had things pretty much on the ball.

BUT! the bible does NOT command anybody to dance as a form of worship, does it?
ndjs

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:36 pm
@jatuab,
jatuab wrote:
But where did that ball of matter come from? I find both of these questions equally puzzling, and I think if one could be answered, then it would change humanity forever.

I have no idea. Perhaps it has been here for infinity.

I don't know why that should be any harder for a believer in God to believe as far as the human inability to comprehend infinity goes, especially when believers in God expect everyone to just accept that God has been here for infinity.
ndjs

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:37 pm
@jatuab,
jatuab wrote:
Jesus also never rode in a car or met in an air-conditioned building.

I'm not real sure what this has to do with there being a god or not...
Drnaline

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:19 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I'm not saying God invented man, or vice versa.

However, the human brain is wired to believe in a higher power. Several scientific studies have shown this, and when I have time I will dig up what I can find about them if there is interest.

I'm interested.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:50 pm
@Brent cv,
This is just a couple of short excerpts from some lengthy articles.

Guardian Unlimited | Archive Search
Quote:
Boyer thinks that beliefs like these persist neither because of the social cohesion which they generate, nor because of the psychological gratification which they afford, but because the subconscious architecture of the human mind has so evolved over many millennia as to be receptive to them...the research that Boyer cites from developmental and cognitive psychology does furnish support for his argument for universal psychological dispositions of a kind which help to explain why the beliefs which he counts as 'religion' are much more common across all times and places than those which he counts as 'science'. The latter are often counterintuitive, too. But scientific theories are counterintuitive in a way much less consistent with our inherited mental architecture than religious beliefsystems. It isn't that religious beliefsystems are what natural selection has constructed our minds for, but that a sideeffect of what our minds have been constructed for is a susceptibility to the belief in gods, spirits and ancestors that Boyer describes.

Wired 7.11: This Is Your Brain on God
Quote:
[His] theory is that the sensation described as "having a religious experience" is merely a side effect of our bicameral brain's feverish activities. Simplified considerably, the idea goes like so: When the right hemisphere of the brain, the seat of emotion, is stimulated in the cerebral region presumed to control notions of self, and then the left hemisphere, the seat of language, is called upon to make sense of this nonexistent entity, the mind generates a "sensed presence."

Amazon.com: The "God" Part of the Brain: Books: Matthew Alper
This book looks extremely interesting. Many of the reviews go into detail about the book.
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:15 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
BUT! the bible does NOT command anybody to dance as a form of worship, does it?

but does it condemn? it commands a lot of things in the old testament that we don't do anymore
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:19 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I'm not real sure what this has to do with there being a god or not...

You were explaining why CoC believes what they do...it's quoted in the post you got that excerpt from.
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:20 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I have no idea. Perhaps it has been here for infinity.

I don't know why that should be any harder for a believer in God to believe as far as the human inability to comprehend infinity goes, especially when believers in God expect everyone to just accept that God has been here for infinity.

I personally don't expect everyone to accept it. I know people choose for themselves whatever they feel compelled to choose, and only God can truly change their hearts.
0 Replies

spx

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 04:45 am
@Brent cv,
My mother was catholic, she outranked my father (methedyst) and I was catholic, until a preist told me 'I might know God', I was kinda upset about that, he took that job, doesnt he know if he knows God or not? This was many moons ago, and now the easiest way to answer is I am a universal witch, most people can relate to that word, and (not like most) it doesnt offend me.

I cant say Im wicca, or pagan, since I still have some issues I dont ness. agree with there, but I do recommd. reading this book, it might shead some light for afew that have questions. It seems in all religions, those common or those shunned (imagine me Brent, in the bible belt, and a witch lol) all have a "god", it just depends what we call him/her/it. Myself, its a force, it doesnt have to be made either female or male, why? Cuz Im not sexist and I realize there is energy all around me, I can feel it, and I can see it, therefore, I know its really there.

Go get this book, most lib's carry it, if not, order it from Amazon or B&N
The Jesus Mysteries: Was the 'Original Jesus' a Pagan God?
Smile
Also, since it seems Im the outcast here, feel free to msg any questions you might have, and between tending to 6wk old, work and other, I will try and get back to you all.
Cheers
0 Replies

Johno cv

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 05:39 am
@Brent cv,
I am God. You are God. Everyone is God. You are the God of your life. Self-enlightenment.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 07:20 am
@Brent cv,
Allah be praised.
0 Replies

ns1clrk

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 02:03 pm
@Brent cv,
It's easy to believe in a higher power. The Bible is just a book. I won't waste my time attempting to convince you that "He" cannot exist. Just know that there are actual intellectuals in the world that can see past christian dogma. I'm sure we'll have to take care of all the problems that it is causing.
ns1clrk

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 02:06 pm
@Brent cv,
I think that if you read "A Letter to a Christian Nation", you might be a little more enlightened. But its a "devil book" so......
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 05:20 pm
@Brent cv,
I think if you read a Bible, you'd be very enlightend.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 07:12 pm
@ns1clrk,
ns1clrk;7241 wrote:
It's easy to believe in a higher power. The Bible is just a book. I won't waste my time attempting to convince you that "He" cannot exist. Just know that there are actual intellectuals in the world that can see past christian dogma. I'm sure we'll have to take care of all the problems that it is causing.
Quote:
"He" cannot exist.

I've got a few questions for you being you believe that.
Most scientists now believe that our universe is expanding not just stagnant. They also believe it originated from a finite source. A "Big Bang occured to release this energy that we see as planets and universe's. Scientists also believe that space and time did not exist before this event.

The laws of physics say that for such and event to take place there had to be a trigger to release this energy. So my first question to you is.

Caused or uncaused cause?
markx15

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 09:01 pm
@Brent cv,
Religion is desire, the desire for discipline, redemption, happiness, amongst others, and god is the one to whom you ask for to achieve these objectives. "He" is infinite, because there are infinte objectives you can pursue, "he" is what "he" has to be in order for you to obtain these goals. You must find your own way into enlightenment, or whatever else you wish to call it, but that path leads through your god, whether he exists to you or not. To name "him" is sacrilege, because there is no definition therfore there is no name. I have firm belief that after your death you will learn what objectives you should pursue in life and then be reborn. In pursuit of your god you will travel all of time and space only to realise that he is what you make of him, and yet he is not what you make of him. To look is to find and to lose, to see and to not see.
Can you hold infinity in the palm of your hand? Then why would you hold infinty in your mind, or in any amount of space, for in the definition of space there is already a limit which "god" does not posses, because he exists and he doesn't exist.
0 Replies