Is there a god?

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 12:56 am
So who here believes there is a "god" that reigns over Humans?

How do you see God if you believe in one?

Do you follow a certain religion and if so which one?

I myself can not bring myself to believe in a God but I also can not believe any other theories put forth for how we got here as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 16,833 • Replies: 306
No top replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:03 am
@Brent cv,
I believe there is a God. I am a Catholic, and i see him as a forgiving God, not one of fine and Brime stone. But yes i believe there is a God that Reigns over man.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:28 am
@Brent cv,
I believe in God. I just can't bring myself to go to church, because I really can't believe that he would 'take attendance.' I have professors more lenient.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 12:17 pm
@Brent cv,
I believe in God .
Look at what Rene' Descartes said :
Quote:
1. I exist (Axiom)
2. I have in my mind the notion of a perfect being (Axiom, partly based on 1)
3. An imperfect being, like myself, cannot think up the notion of a perfect being (Axiom)
4. Therefore the notion of a perfect being must have originated from the perfect being himself (from 2 & 3)
5. A perfect being would not be perfect if it did not exist (Axiom)
6. Therefore a perfect being must exist (from 4 & 5)

ndjs

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 04:08 pm
@Brent cv,
3. An imperfect being, like myself, cannot think up the notion of a perfect being (Axiom)

I don't really know how that's proved. I can think up all kinds of stuff that I couldn't create.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:57 am
@Brent cv,
We may need to read up on Descartes , he did not mean we could create God , he is trying to prove God exists , we could not even imagine God if He did not exist , is what Descartes was saying , I think .
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:42 pm
@Brent cv,
Quote:
we could not even imagine God if He did not exist

But I can imagine a flying purple alligator...
Drnaline

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:30 am
@Brent cv,
I believe, i am Catholic. I see him as perfect as we are not. I believe church is not the big stone building you go to on sunday. Church is in your soul, where ever two or more meet in my name is where you find it.
Nick i think what Curmudgeon means that if you were born in the woods without ever having human contact and were left to ponder what ever came to mind without interference. You would finally come up to where you came from? Your maker so to speak. Just as our ancestors did even in ancient times. Prior to biblical. We wondered about a creator being, not a flying purple monster. You can use your reference in one only in comparison to a god, if you know what i mean. It was not the original thought.
0 Replies

lowflyn

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:16 pm
@Brent cv,
The belief in God is based on faith, not on physical things. I see God everywhere I go in life, in everything I do. He is always there for me. These are my views...everyone has different views.
I respect people who do not believe in a "god", but for me, I believe in the one and only God and that he is the one who created all and will ultimately end all.
I don't live the perfect life, and probably don't set the best example in my actions, but nonetheless, I believe in God.
Scott cv

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 12:31 am
@lowflyn,
lowflyn wrote:
The belief in God is based on faith, not on physical things. I see God everywhere I go in life, in everything I do. He is always there for me. These are my views...everyone has different views.
I respect people who do not believe in a "god", but for me, I believe in the one and only God and that he is the one who created all and will ultimately end all.
I don't live the perfect life, and probably don't set the best example in my actions, but nonetheless, I believe in God.

completely agreed. I definitely feel and believe there is God up above watching what I do wether im sitting here typing this out , out having fun , at work ect. As for those who dont believe in any God or a differant God i have absolutely no problem with that, I am in no spot to tell somebody what to do or what to believe in. Everybody has differant beliefs.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:22 am
@Brent cv,
Welcome Scott.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:20 pm
@Brent cv,
Yes , welcome Scott , we need more minds in our "discussions " !
0 Replies

JEB007

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:13 am
@Brent cv,
I was raised Catholic, I don't go to church, I believe in Jesus, I believe he is the son of God, I believe God watches over us. But I do sometimes wonder if I believe all this things because I have faith or because they were imprinted in me by my parents. If I ever meet God I will ask him why bad things happen to good people.
Brent cv

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
@Brent cv,
Quote:
I do sometimes wonder if I believe all this things because I have faith or because they were imprinted in me by my parents.

Exactly...
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 02:02 pm
@JEB007,
JEB007 wrote:
If I ever meet God I will ask him why bad things happen to good people.

Oh, I have a whole lot of questions for that guy.
Brent cv

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:49 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Oh, I have a whole lot of questions for that guy.

haha werd
0 Replies

STEVE cv

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:12 pm
@Brent cv,
I do not believe in good at all, the whole idea of a man who created himself then humanity is just absurd in my opinion.
Drnaline

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
@Brent cv,
A man who created himself, where did you hear that?
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:55 am
@STEVE cv,
STEVE wrote:
I do not believe in good at all, the whole idea of a man who created himself then humanity is just absurd in my opinion.

God didn't create himself. He just always was and always will be. Proof?
Psalm 90:2 wrote:
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God

The Bible is all the proof I need. It may be hard to comprehend, I know I find it hard to comprehend, but our human minds were not made to comprehend it. Just like we can't comprehend the universe never ending, just like we can't comprehend eternity, or infinity, but you believe that those exist don't you? Whats the proof? Because of what you were read and taught? Well, thats the same proof I have in God. To believe in all of those, you must have faith. So why is it hard to believe in God when you believe in the other concepts I mentioned?
Brent cv

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 12:11 pm
@Brent cv,
He cant just be always there Laughing

At one point he had to be created.