itching hands and feet driving me nuts!

dov1953

Thu 20 Nov, 2003 04:02 pm
Crying or Very sad I'm looking for a regular, non-binding, not legally liable, solution to the itch that's driving me crazy. My hands and feet itch so bad I can't think of anything else. Are there any remedies out there that are personal favorites? Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 140,109 • Replies: 79
Topic Closed
No top replies

edgarblythe

Thu 20 Nov, 2003 04:12 pm
I recommend you visit with a doctor.
frankemp

Thu 20 Nov, 2003 04:36 pm
stop itch
try gold bond powder,i'll check my medical book and let you know of a different thing [friday] just in case the powder's not good for you.
0 Replies

eoe

Thu 20 Nov, 2003 04:51 pm
Lotions and moisturizers. Body butters. Something rich and creamy.
0 Replies

Montana

Thu 20 Nov, 2003 05:06 pm
Vasaline is great for severely dry skin.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:10 pm
Dov
Dov, a visit to your doctor to be referred for a lab blood test is important to be sure you do not have any liver disease. Extreme itching is a liver disease symptom that should be eliminated.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/gi/itching.html

For temporary itch relief:

Most lotions won't help much unless they contain anti-itching medication. Two goods ones are:

Sarna anti-itch lotion:
http://www.skinstore.com/store/product.asp?prodID=693

Neutrogena anti-itch moisturizer:
http://www.drugstore.com/default.asp?catid=60&trx=28098

Your doctor may also prescribe Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment sup. 0.1% to help cure the itch.

If your feet/ankles are swollen and there is a red blistery-type rash that exudes a crusty clear liquid, you may have an edema rash from excess salt and poor circulation. Your doctor should check you for this condition.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:04 am
I agree with the folks who suggest a visit to a doctor. It may be nothing, but it is important that you rule out anything serious. Even if it is only a dermatitis, the doctor can prescribe a medication that you won't be able to get over the counter!
jespah

Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:41 am
And while you're at the doctor, have him or her check you for a nickel allergy - one of its symptoms is itchy fingers and soles of feet.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:40 pm
Dov<

I have had an itching problem like the one you describe.

I went to a dermatologist who told me to use Dove soap for showering followed by a large application of Vaseline Intensive Care lotion.

The doc's suggestion worked for me without any side effects at all.

Along with others here, I agree you need to see a doctor if only for peace of mind that you have nothing seriously wrong. That's the course of action I took.

Good luck!
0 Replies

dov1953

Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:36 pm
Very Happy Thank you all for your kind suggestions about stopping my itch. I have a doctor's appt on the 5th so I'll have to try and find some lotion until then. Theres nothing like a mad-itchy to take your mind off other problems.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:27 am
Let us know how it goes dov.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Sat 22 Nov, 2003 11:21 am
dov<

Congratulations on deciding to see a doctor. We're itching to know how things turn out Very Happy
0 Replies

frankemp

Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:10 am
Re: stop itch
frankemp wrote:
try gold bond powder,i'll check my medical book and let you know of a different thing [friday] just in case the powder's not good for you.

DOV1953: did you try the [gold bond's]powder?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:15 pm
frankemp<

I know you didn't ask me . . . but here goes, for what it's worth.

I have tried Gold Bond Powder. It is soothing to the skin upon application because it has menthol in it. After a while, it is as soothing as baby powder.

Since it has the consistency of baby powder, the Gold Bond can be dangerous to those with respiratory problems who inhale it. I find Vaseline Intensive Care lotion to be a more effective itch stopper.

If it's a serious itch, see your doctor. S/he may prescribe an antihistamine such as Benadryl for your problem. Use antihistamines with caution. Some can cause drowsiness.
0 Replies

dov1953

Tue 2 Dec, 2003 01:56 am
Very Happy Again, thank you all for your kindness. I'm touched; more specifically by Gold Bond powder. It helped a lot. I called my old nuerologist and he said that the itching was another symptom of an old problem. About three years ago I woke up one morning as usual and I could barely walk. It took me nearly 6 months before I could walk normally. It still hasn't gone away. It was nerve damage. The doc said it has "traveling" characteristics. Itching and a burning feeling on my feet are one one of those symptoms. Just thought I'd let you great guys know.
0 Replies

Caity

Wed 10 Mar, 2004 01:04 pm
itchy hands and feet
dov1953 how did things turn out on your symptoms. I was searching the internet for the same problems, experienced by my husband, and found this interchange between you and other members. I am curious as to what you found out and what you have been doing to eliminate the problem. Please write. caity
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 10 Mar, 2004 03:41 pm
I once had similiar symptoms and went to the doctor. I was told I had hand, foot, mouth disease and the doctor asked if I had been around any young children lately. Seeing I had just come back from Disneyworld the answer was yes. Come to find out it is a childhood sickness that is highly contagious. Typically most people get it as a young child with very mild symptoms - so mild that most never even know that they have had it - once caught, you are immune. As many childhood sicknesses, it is worse as an adult.

Basically the doctor suggested I use antihistamine to relieve the itching and it will go away after several days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:13 pm
Linkat, now That Is Interesting. Antihistamine did work for me, but rather faster than several days - twenty minutes (Benedryl, the pink pill that Costco has for about $4.00 for four hundred..) The symptoms would come back though. Let's see, it's called Allergy Medicine, by Kirkland; is 25 mg. of diphenhydramine hydrochloride.

Mine just disappeared gradually, sssshhhhhh!, with no change in behavior since I could never pin down what any proximate cause was.

Haven't even taken a benedryl for at least a year...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:17 pm
I do remember from years ago understanding that allergy has a kind of line in the sand for sensitivity, that once the allergen load is over that, symptom phenomena get activated.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:22 am
Sorry ossoboro - the itching went away pretty quickly, but the hand, foot, mouth stuff was still around for a few days.
0 Replies