What is "Five Hour Energy?"

Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:46 pm
I have been asking almost everyone I know about "Five Hour Energy." My present impression is that it keeps one more alert for five hours. Does it keep one from falling asleep? Suppose I took one, then half an hour later had a cup of coffee? Two cups? If "Five Hour Energy" keeps one alert, how does it differ from "No Doz?" Are there any medical or physical side-effects? When five hours is over, how long must one wait before taking a second? Can this product keep one awake all night?

View best answer, chosen by Woollcott
mark noble

Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:26 pm
@Woollcott,
Hi Woollcott,
What is it, a drink, pill, new fruit?
have a great day.
Mark...
tsarstepan

Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
@mark noble,
It's some kind of energy drink:
http://www.5hourenergy.com/images/ingredientslabel_Original.gif
This stuff can't be safe! 8000+% of B12?!
Quote:
RECOMMENDED USE: Drink one half (1/2) bottle (one ounce) for moderate energy. Drink one whole bottle (two ounces) for maximum energy. Do not exceed two bottles of 5-Hour Energy shots daily, consumed several hours apart. Use or discard any remainder within 72 hours (three days) after opening. Refrigeration not required.

CAUTION: Contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee. Limit caffeine products to avoid nervousness, sleeplessness, and occasional rapid heartbeat. You may experience a Niacin Flush (hot feeling, skin redness) that lasts a few minutes. This is caused by Niacin (Vitamin B3) increasing blood flow near the skin.

Do not take if you are pregnant or nursing, or under 12 years of age.

Phenylketonurics: Contains phenylalanine.

I'll let you read the warnings on phenylalanine for yourself:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/phenylalanine-000318.htm
0 Replies

Butrflynet
  Selected Answer

Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:44 pm
@Woollcott,
You didn't look very hard...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hour_Energy

Quote:
Although it was rumored that the high levels of B-group vitamins could be potentially dangerous, it remains that the drink is relatively safe in moderation.[5] Drinking these energy shots could prove a problem if done several times everyday, but for use occasionally should not take issue with a healthy person. The question for danger by consumers was the high percentage of such ingredients as niacin, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12. These ingredients are far over the daily percentage value and must be used only in moderation. Major risks of this product are listed on the label of the product itself. These include the possibility of niacin flush in the face and overuse. Although it does not define the effects of overuse, it does define the "recommended use: Drink one half bottle for moderate energy. Drink one whole bottle for maximum energy. Do not exceed two bottles daily, consumed several hours apart. Use or discard any remainder within 72 hours after opening."

http://www.5hourenergy.com/healthfacts.asp

Quote:
RECOMMENDED USE: Drink one half (1/2) bottle (one ounce) for moderate energy. Drink one whole bottle (two ounces) for maximum energy. Do not exceed two bottles of 5-Hour Energy shots daily, consumed several hours apart. Use or discard any remainder within 72 hours (three days) after opening. Refrigeration not required.

CAUTION: Contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee. Limit caffeine products to avoid nervousness, sleeplessness, and occasional rapid heartbeat. You may experience a Niacin Flush (hot feeling, skin redness) that lasts a few minutes. This is caused by Niacin (Vitamin B3) increasing blood flow near the skin.

http://www.5hourenergy.com/compare.asp
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:42 pm
@Woollcott,
It's snake oil.
roger

Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:46 pm
@rosborne979,
Looks to me like a really expensive vitamin b dose.
0 Replies

Philis

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:03 am
Has anyone tried 5-hour energy? Did it give you jitters.
I had a B-12 shot once and it did nothing for me.
Could he be right? Is is snake oil?
I have been thinking for a long time about trying it. I am very hesitant though. {$3.41 for that small amount.} Drunk
0 Replies

kickycan

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:22 am
I tried it once. I'm really not sure if it worked. I felt awake, but I didn't feel all zippy or any more alert or energetic than normal. I certainly didn't feel any boost of energy. I think it probably is snake oil. No-Doz is the real deal. If you want to stay awake, I have a feeling this stuff isn't going to work.

Speaking of snake oil, anyone ever try ExtenZe?
Philis

Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:23 am
@kickycan,
I was considering trying no-doz and I might do that.

what do you want to exten-ze Wink
0 Replies

Tenneba

Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:32 am
@kickycan,
I use 5-hour energy to get through my graduate classes. It helps me stay alert when coffee has proven useless. It doesn't make me jittery, and it doesn't have a sugar crash. I have also tried No-Doz. Yes, I was wide awake, but it was a useless kind of alertness, as I was terribly distracted by my tongue trying to run laps in my mouth and the feeling that my whole body was on the verge of shaking apart. For my money, I'll drink the nasty (and it DOES taste nasty!) 5-hour energy. It doesn't so much act like an upper as it just seems to let you be more alert in general.
0 Replies

kevinbrown10

Tue 19 Apr, 2011 06:54 am
@mark noble,
I think that you are talking about "Five Hour energy" Drink and usually contains vitamin B6 and B12 and folic acid which are responsible to keep you alerted for 5 hours maximum.
0 Replies