Edit it please

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:40 pm
To be frank and come to the point, I suggest that both the meat of dog and pigeon should be banned from the menu of all restaurants around the world. Due to the fact that dog is a loyal friend for Human and pigeon the symbol of Peace. The title of my thread might be misleading, but I just used it ironically. Personally, I don't eat the meat of dog and pigeon. Any attempt to eat them would end up vomitting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,244 • Replies: 33

Krumple

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:46 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

To be frank and come to the point, I suggest that both the meat of dog and pigeon should be banned from the menu of all restaurants around the world. Due to the fact that dog is a loyal friend for Human and pigeon the symbol of Peace. The title of my thread might be misleading, but I just used it ironically. Personally, I don't eat the meat of dog and pigeon. Any attempt to eat them would end up vomitting.

You don't think you are being a little silly? Why not include cows, Hindus hold cows as sacred animals. Shouldn't you respect them and not eat any beef. Surely if you want to impose world wide restaurants to stop severing dog and pigeons, shouldn't it be fair and they impose that you can't eat beef? Why not take it even a step further. Isn't it offensive to vegetarians and vegans who hold all animals as sentient and in need of respect? Surely if you want dogs to be respected, why can't vegetarians call for an animal wide eating ban? It is only fair, but I doubt you would accept that.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:19 pm
i am a vegetarian and i dont care what anyone else wants to eat, either healthwise or ethically. there are cultures that eat cats, rats, snakes, and many animals that someone else will complain about.

why does no one complain about me eating vegetables? dont vegetables have rights? spinach is probably revolting to a lot of people, but they dont complain.

just curious, what is the meaning of the title of this thread?

oh, i get it...one of those games people play with the tags? i came here because i thought it was about proofreading...WTF
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:25 pm
@salima,
It is about proofreading. Oristar is an english learner.
aidan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I think vomiting only has one t.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:37 pm
@oristarA,
Oristar -

To be frank and come to the point, I suggest that both the meat of dog and pigeon should be banned from the menu of all restaurants around the world.
(fine)

Due to the fact that dog is a loyal friend for Human and pigeon the symbol of Peace
This isn't really a sentence. It should read something like Due to the fact that (....), sentiment should keep us from eating these species.

The title of my thread might be misleading, but I just used it ironically.
(fine)

Personally, I don't eat the meat of dog and pigeon.
(fine)

Any attempt to eat them would end up vomitting.
This doesn't make sense - it isn't the attempt that would end up vomiting, but the person who makes the attempt; you, OristarA, for example.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:39 pm
@oristarA,
In summary, I think that dog meat and pigeon flesh should be banned from all menus around the world. I feel this way as dogs are loyal friends to humans, and pigeons are the symbol of Peace. I titled my thread ironically .... (I'm not really sure where this sentence was going)

I do not eat the meat of dog or pigeon. It would disgust me to do so, and I would vomit.

~~~~~~~~~~

note - in many countries, doves are the symbol of peace - not the pigeon

depending on what culture this is targeted to, you might need to change the bird
dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:42 pm
Guys...s/he's NOT asking for a philosophical debate, s/he's asking for help to make the English it's written in better!

There are a lot of these threads here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:47 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

To be frank, I think that the eating of dog and pigeon meat should be banned.

I advocate this because dogs are loyal friends of humans and pigeons are a symbol of peace.

While the title of my thread is ironic, this is of great personal importance to me. I could never eat dogs or pigeons and I would be sick if I did so.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:49 pm
@dlowan,
Good work, D..
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
note - in many countries, doves are the symbol of peace - not the pigeon

depending on what culture this is targeted to, you might need to change the bird

Probably a dictionary translation, ehBeth.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Right on Wabbit.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:19 pm
@oristarA,
To be frank and to come to the point, I suggest that both the meat of dogs and pigeons should be banned from the menus of all restaurants around the world, due to the fact that the dog is a loyal friend for humans and the pigeon is the symbol of peace. The title of my thread might be misleading, but I just used it ironically. Personally, I don't eat the meat of dogs [and] or pigeons. Any attempt to eat them would have me ending up vomiting.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:24 pm
@oristarA,
why would you use a controversial topic to discuss English grimmer? I am really missing out the the philo at least there i knew why people were there.
panzade

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:30 pm
@Krumple,
Relax. It's just a Chinese friend of the forum learning how to write English. Nothing more
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:36 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
why would you use a controversial topic to discuss English grimmer? I am really missing out the the philo at least there i knew why people were there.

In order to learn a language, all topics are open to discussion and grammar, Krumple. Just look at the tags. If you see English/EFL/ESL/grammar/... you'll know that it's a language question.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:45 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

This is getting silly.

This is NOT exclusively a philosophy forum.

This is a knowledge sharing site, of which philosophy has always been a part.

It has a strong history of helping students of English.

Oristar a translates lots of stuff, and regularly asks for help, as do many others. The subject matter, whether felt by you to be controversial od not, is not the issue. Nobody will ban you if you try to make a philosophical issue of a simple request for help in translating something, and I understand it is hard for you guys to move from your more narrow focus, but making philosophical debates of threads like this is not what is intended, and would be likely seen as as intrusive and off topic by oristar as you guys find different comments in your philosophy threads.

This is an absolutely legitimate and intended use of the site.

It's a brave new world. It's more than philosophy here.

Sorry if I sound frustrated, but, well, I guess I am, a little bit.

Krumple

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:49 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Krumple wrote:

This is getting silly.

This is NOT exclusively a philosophy forum.

This is a knowledge sharing site, of which philosophy has always been a part.

It has a strong history of helping students of English.

Oristar a translates lots of stuff, and regularly asks for help, as do many others. The subject matter, whether felt by you to be controversial od not, is not the issue. Nobody will ban you if you try to make a philosophical issue of a simple request for help in translating something, and I understand it is hard for you guys to move from your more narrow focus, but making philosophical debates of threads like this is not what is intended, and would be likely seen as as intrusive and off topic by oristar as you guys find different comments in your philosophy threads.

This is an absolutely legitimate and intended use of the site.

It's a brave new world. It's more than philosophy here.

Sorry if I sound frustrated, but, well, I guess I am, a little bit.

i missed the tags. but you gotta hand it to me though. First of all the grammar was better than probably 90% of native English speaking on the net. Secondly who uses controversial topics to learn grammar anyways? I guess next time I'm working on my mandarin grammar ill ask what the best weapon to use to assassinate high governmental officials in china. I'm not use to having to check tags to determine the topic, i generally try to read the post to get an idea of what the post is about. But i didn't catch on to it requesting some corrections. Hell I don't even think i could have given any corrections.
dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:52 pm
@Krumple,
You're not in Kansas any more, Toto.

Wink

Sorry for exploding a bit...I guess I am getting a bit defensive.

"Edit it Please", the thread title, maybe gave a bit of a hint sans tags?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:00 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
i missed the tags.

You may not have, some of the ESL folk don't tag them (they should!) and leave them for others to tag. But after a week or two more here you'll probably learn which are the ESL-only posters.

Quote:
Secondly who uses controversial topics to learn grammar anyways?

I used to teach ESL in Brazil and we'd use polemic topics because it got people talking/writing.

Quote:
Hell I don't even think i could have given any corrections.

They are pretty good for the most part, aren't they? But they have to be if they want to learn this way (on forums) because a beginner isn't going to get anywhere here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:04 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
First of all the grammar was better than probably 90% of native English speaking on the net. Secondly who uses controversial topics to learn grammar anyways?

OristarA is a fairly high level EFL user. S/he does come here for fine-tuning. Idioms seem to have caused some problems for her/him lately.

Krumple, do you think people who are learning new languages should be restricted to conversations about weather? IRL we've got to participate in conversations about all sorts of things - our friends and colleagues aren't going to 'dumb down' the things they discuss. They might overlook grammar errors or perhaps offer gentle corrections, but they're not going to hold back on the topic/s of discussion.