Edit it please

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:10 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember J_B. His level of english grammar improved immensely in what was to me a short time, and then he participated in regular threads for a while.
JPB

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:16 pm
@ossobuco,
He stole my underscore Wink
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:18 pm
@JPB,
I remember!
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:18 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Krumple wrote:
First of all the grammar was better than probably 90% of native English speaking on the net. Secondly who uses controversial topics to learn grammar anyways?

OristarA is a fairly high level EFL user. S/he does come here for fine-tuning. Idioms seem to have caused some problems for her/him lately.

Krumple, do you think people who are learning new languages should be restricted to conversations about weather? IRL we've got to participate in conversations about all sorts of things - our friends and colleagues aren't going to 'dumb down' the things they discuss. They might overlook grammar errors or perhaps offer gentle corrections, but they're not going to hold back on the topic/s of discussion.

I understand that, but my point is, the only thing that distinguished it as being a grammar check was the tag and the post title, but he even says in the post that the title was misleading. Which would cancel out the post title leaving the tags which i already admitted to missing.

All im saying is if there would have been something that was a disclaimer on the actual post, saying this is only for helping my grammar and not an actual position i hold, it might not have been misleading.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:36 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
but he even says in the post that the title was misleading.

that was part of what s/he's translating.

I understand that you're not familiar with OristarA's approach. S/he assumes posters here will know what's being asked for.

It would be useful if s/he used the tagging system, but that doesn't seem to be on the agenda.

I guess part of what's been reinforced here is that we're more willing to handhold our friends than people we don't know.

We're all working on it to one degree or another, but the cultural divide (between A2K and PF) is still causing some bristling.

(was that enough mixed metaphors?)
panzade

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 05:59 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I remember J_B.

I was thinking about him too osso... a dear dear friend
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 06:54 am
@ehBeth,
I have to say I get Krumple's mistake now.

You're right, Beth

Quote:
I guess part of what's been reinforced here is that we're more willing to handhold our friends than people we don't know.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:51 am
With respects to all of you who've joined the thread.

What a coincidence in "misleading" and in "understanding". Very Happy

I don't know how to better describe it.

Thank you all anyways. Very Happy

panzade

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:59 am
@oristarA,
You're a real "troublemaker", you know that ori-A?

Just kidding, we love your queries. Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:00 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

You're a real "troublemaker", you know that ori-A?

Damn near started a war!
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:50 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
To be frank and come to the point, I suggest that both the meat of dog and pigeon should be banned from the menu of all restaurants around the world. Due to the fact that dog is a loyal friend for Human and pigeon the symbol of Peace. The title of my thread might be misleading, but I just used it ironically. Personally, I don't eat the meat of dog and pigeon. Any attempt to eat them would end up vomitting.

EAT ME

Frankly, I believe that dog and pigeon meat should be banned from all restaurants. After all isn't the canine man's best friend and the dove a symbol of peace? This thread's title is ironic if somewhat misleading because I find the thought of eating dog or pigeon meat sickening.

Having spewed forth about not having it on menus I still expect to be about to order it from the secret specials board.
jgweed

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:49 am
Many good alternatives have been presented. I would only add that in more formal English, "due to" can probably be changed to "caused by" or stronger connective phrases.
oristarA

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:36 am
@laughoutlood,
Good editing.
Thank you.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:37 am
@jgweed,
Thanks.
0 Replies