Why are Atheists so Scary?

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
littlek wrote:
Finn, to us god has as much factual validity as unicorns do. There has been no more evidence of a god than of unicorns.

Obviously there is no more factual evidence for the existence of God than there is for the existence of unicorns, but there is no intuitive reason to believe that unicorns exist.

If your argument is that in the absence of factual evidence you will not believe, that's fine.

And yet, based on prior posts you seem to believe in all sorts of political concepts that cannot be factually proven.

Why the faith in an ideology but not God?

Actually, there was good intuitive reason to believe in unicorns. It very likely arose from seeing antelope in the Arabian peninsula with long, straight horns that lean back over the head--seeing them at a distance.

I'd be interested to hear what intuitive evidence you would advance for anyone's imaginary friend superstition.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:32 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I haven't seen atheists proselythizing in this thread. I have seen atheists defending themselves against the charge that they are scary people, made by the initiator of this thread.

Let me amend this, before we go through another round of "no he didn't", "yes he did": I'm aware "Sometimes Sun" has clarified that he or she didn't mean it that way, and said he or she is sorry for the misunderstanding that he's against atheists. But the general point still remains. If people say they're scared because atheists may cause them to lose their religion, it's legitimate to respond that in our experience, there is nothing to be anxious about. We have lost our religion, and it felt quite alright to us. By pointing that out, we aren't proselythizing. We're just truthfully addressing an issue raised by the author.
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:36 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
sometime sun wrote:
You would hardly give to a religious charity.

I'd give to a religious charity if I thought it would get the job done best and that their religion did no harm to whatever they were doing.

For example, I think the Salvation Army are religious loonies, but I give to them because I know, in some of their projects, they are right in there in areas where people especially need practical help.

I once worked in the charity industry, and given what i know of them now, i wouldn't give to the Salvation Army with a gun to my head. Very, very little of your money will actually reach people on the street who need the help.

However, precisely because of those same experiences, i'd give (and have given in the past, many times) to Catholic Social Services and Lutheran Social Services. In both cases, i saw them giving a great deal of very useful help to people on the street, primarily homeless families--working to keep the families together--and in the former organization, especially to homeless single mothers (the Lutherans seemed to focus on homeless families, and finding a Lutheran congregation to directly help them). They took donations, but neither of them solicited publicly outside of their congregations, while other organizations such as the Salvation Army and Volunteers of America made an industrial project out of milking their charitable image for donations, which were converted to cash as quickly as possible and shipped off to the national headquarters to get brownie points for the local chapters.

Neither the Catholic Social Services nor the Lutheran Social Services folk inquired into the religious beliefs of those whom they helped, nor required participation in religious activities. The Catholic Social Services home in that city (which they had located in the poorest neighborhood) didn't even provide religious services on its premises. The Baptists i found particularly disgusting--they provided so very damned little, and expected so much from the homeless who ate their lukewarm, low quality meals. They had to wait to be prayed over before they could eat, and then they were locked until the preacher was done, no matter how quickly they finished the paltry meal they were provided. The Congregationalists were fairly generous, but only three times a year--Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

I highly recommend CSS and LSS, and the rest can kiss my rosy red Irish ass.
xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:39 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn , we all have idols and gods. Mine plays the most beautiful tune on his pipes just as dawn is breaking. As long as we dont harm others in our attention to these gods then we should be left to admire and worship them. As an agnostic this vitriolic debate scares me.

How are you? hows your Spanish amigo? is he OK?
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:40 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip wrote:
So, how might an atheist attempt to soothe someone's fear of "the void"? Or to be more specific, how would you?

Or, to be more specific, why would anyone? No one here is obliged to relieve anyone else of their irrational fears.
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:47 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I think what it has to do with anything is that Finn REALLY believes, ultimately, that people who do not share his views are actually only pretending not to because they think the beliefs they "pretend" to have make them appear cool.

It explains so much of his manner when posting, and so much of his unpleasantness, as well as stuff like his seeing atheism as a rebellion.

I bet he thinks all "liberals" are3 just trying to look cool!

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .

That boy usually begs whatever question is at issue, so i think you may be right.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:48 am
@Thomas,
Im scared of religion but not faith. I also think if you have religion then you should be scared, there is much to be scared of. The idea that atheists have developed the same ideological fundamentalism that they so despised in the religious? yes it is very evident in many who voice their opinions. They dont differentiate between having a belief and those contributing to religious dogma. I despise the RC church but not the man who has belief in Christ.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:48 am
Well, I can't seem to come up with any search terms to find out if there has been a study of the intuitive belief in god. Does anyone know of such a case?

Has every generation in every area of the world always had a god concept? I can't imagine how one would test such a theory today given the inhumanity of isolation at birth. What about the boy raised by wolves? did he believe in a god when he was discovered?

Bear once poured gas in the ground and set a hornets nest on fire after numerous attacks and failed other methods. He commented that one day the one or two survivors will look back on this day and tell their children of the great "god" that took revenge on their kind due to their bad behavior. Perhaps had Bear applied salt, these future hornets would also have a bible as proof?

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:49 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I think your are beyond reason so I will leave you to your ignorance and abusive reasoning. I was right your avatar marks you out for the snappy little spiteful bitch to are.

Kiss, kiss, sweetiepie.
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:50 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip wrote:
I'm finally outta here.

Bye . . . don't let the door hit ya in the ass.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:52 am
@Setanta,
Your dicks dribbling you silly mut
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:52 am
This joker Steve Cook is the first philosophy refugee i've seen who writes clearly and succinctly, and makes sense.

Glad he came here, at least.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:56 am
@squinney,
they're looking into it

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article3393198.ece
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:57 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:
I am a believer in Bes. He is a old (egyptian) god who came from inner Africa (some say he was a pygmee) and spread over North Africa and Phoenician colonies. The island of Ibiza still caries his name.

He was a patron for the working class, prostitutes and sailors. Charms were worn around the ankle for protection... Thâts something else then a Jewish-Christian embarrasment of a God for the Upper-Classes. It's a pitty His son does not live anymore !

That's OK by me . . . so long as you don't expect me to sign up.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:00 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Twirlip wrote:
So, how might an atheist attempt to soothe someone's fear of "the void"? Or to be more specific, how would you?

Or, to be more specific, why would anyone? No one here is obliged to relieve anyone else of their irrational fears.

No, not obliged, but if one could, why wouldn't they? Believe it or not, many here helped me through it. I hate to break it to you, Setanta, but you did so without even knowing it. (Not to disclose your softer side or anything.) Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:03 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Pepijn , we all have idols and gods.

Bullshit.
xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:10 am
@Setanta,
You should know more than anyone as it smells like you.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I was right your avatar marks you out for the snappy little spiteful bitch to are.

I will admit that the bitch in Setanta's avatar is little. But how dare you call her snappy and spiteful! Cleo is one of the most love-addicted little bitches I have ever belly-rubbed. Why oh why are dog haters so scary?
xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:45 am
@Thomas,
I hope you washed your hands.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 11:03 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

xris wrote:
I was right your avatar marks you out for the snappy little spiteful bitch to are.

I will admit that the bitch in Setanta's avatar is little. But how dare you call her snappy and spiteful! Cleo is one of the most love-addicted little bitches I have ever belly-rubbed. Why oh why are dog haters so scary?

Gracie was very hurt by this until I pointed out that you had said "...one of..."