Why are Atheists so Scary?

roger

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 03:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
When your advice is "hit the road" or "turn the other cheek", yes, I do.
xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 03:34 am
@Setanta,
I think your are beyond reason so I will leave you to your ignorance and abusive reasoning. I was right your avatar marks you out for the snappy little spiteful bitch to are.
Twirlip

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 03:43 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm beginning to like Hex' astringincy, not just re this post, but several others.

He was the first person I put on Ignore at the old Philosophy Forum. I'm sure he'll go down a storm here. Never mind the philosophy, feel the astringency.

I'm finally outta here. Drunk
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 04:47 am
@dlowan,
I bet he thinks all "liberals" are3 just trying to look cool!

An irony is that many conservatives (not of the fundamentalist variety) are atheists also.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:04 am
@sometime sun,
Quote:
They scare me.

based upon your other posts

is there anything that doesn't scare you
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:19 am
Why is it we have so many posting with aggressive ignorance. The idea that certain atheists are scary, is valid . So many act with extreme rudeness and aggressive ignorance. They are the mirror image of the dogmatic fundamentalists, bent on ridicule rather than informed reasoning. Politeness and respect appear to be in short supply here on this forum. If the poster was sat opposite you would you reply in the same manner?
stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:28 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

Why is it we have so many posting with aggressive ignorance. The idea that certain atheists are scary, is valid . So many act with extreme rudeness and aggressive ignorance. They are the mirror image of the dogmatic fundamentalists, bent on ridicule rather than informed reasoning. Politeness and respect appear to be in short supply here on this forum. If the poster was sat opposite you would you reply in the same manner?

We have had thousand years of people of "faith" perpertrating acts of genocide and every other kind of unspeakable act of violence againt people who didn't share their warped beliefs and you seriously expect athiests to tread on eggshells to protect delicate religious sensibilities.

Are you taking the piss?
xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:53 am
@stevecook172001,
Another poster who cant help showing his arrogance. I have no love of religion , I oppose it when ever I can but I hope its done with respect. Take your passing comment, you would not dare say that to my face. Why ? I can swear just like you but what purpose does it serve?
stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:58 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

Another poster who cant help showing his arrogance. I have no love of religion , I oppose it when ever I can but I hope its done with respect. Take your passing comment, you would not dare say that to my face. Why ? I can swear just like you but what purpose does it serve?

I can assure you I would to say it to your face. Daring has nothing to do with it. I consider religious beleifs to have no special status in terms of critisism in comparison to other beliefs. Indeed, given the history of religion, I consider it especially worthy of the most scathing of critiques.

Also, you seem to have a very mangled understanding of respect. Respect is what we afford to other sentient beings. We do not afford it to a non sentient idea.
Below viewing threshold (view)
stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:16 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

Then I can assure you I would kick your head in. Thats respect.

So you would kick someone's head in for having the temerity to ask you whether you were taking the piss would you?

Now you really are taking the piss.... Wink

Or perhaps not, in which case I am bound to ask whether you have issues with a confusion of your own personal identity and the ideas you identify yourself with? This seems to be a particular affliction of the ideologically minded including, of course, those of a religious bent.

A little bit of anger management in order perhaps.... ?

xris

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@stevecook172001,
Nothing to do with anger, why do suppose its anger? Its my attempt at bringing a certain reality to these silly remarks that appear to infect this forum. If a stranger had an adequate reason to swear at me , I would accept it but you had no reason to ask me if i was taking the piss. You act like the brave driver who swears and gesticulates then drives away. Something they would not dare do, face to face on the pavement. Your honesty is suspect.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@dlowan,
Interesting!

That goes hand-in-hand with the "intuitive" stuff too, doesn't it?

IFF all people intuitively believe in God
then atheists have actively rejected a former belief
and quite possibly have done so just to seem cool
rather than actually not believing.
dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:45 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Interesting!

That goes hand-in-hand with the "intuitive" stuff too, doesn't it?

IFF all people intuitively believe in God
then atheists have actively rejected a former belief
and quite possibly have done so just to seem cool
rather than actually not believing.

Yes....if you believe your beliefs (and I don't think it's just re atheism) HAVE to be obvious and intuitive to everyone.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 08:56 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
if a child is continuously graded on regurgitating non-theist elements for two decades, it becomes a large part of their self esteem.

GoshisDead, I bet that as a child you have been continuously graded on regurgitating non-witchcraftist, non-unicornist, non-fairyist elements. Has that made disbelief in witches, unicorns, and fairies a large part of your self-esteem? I would be surprised if it had. More likely, these beings are non-entities to you, and as non-entities they have no impact on your self-esteem at all. That's the way atheists feel about god. As a non-entity, he plays no role in our self-esteem.

GoshisDead wrote:
As you may have noticed throughout this thread there is a reactionary proselyting happening among the atheists.

I haven't seen atheists proselythizing in this thread. I have seen atheists defending themselves against the charge that they are scary people, made by the initiator of this thread. Could you please cite examples of what you mean by proselythizing?

GoshisDead wrote:
As long as the justification for atheist belief remains in the public education system, it will be just that, a last stand.

Am I assuming correctly that by "the justification for atheist belief", you mean biological evolution? You're speaking code here.
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:04 am
@failures art,
Quote:
I'm just a vitriolic cross burner trying to ruin some drama-queen's day. Obviously.

Now that was funny.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:09 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
Since the argument for atheism is based on material empirical "factual" (quotes around factual because I have issues with facts, not issues with anyone using them as justification but that is another story) justification one must also believe in the justification which is by extension necessarily requires belief in the non existence of a God.

This is false, and it's a rather phony attempt at applying logic. An atheist is not advancing an argument, they are rejecting any argument which has ever been advanced to them for the existence of a god. You're making up a silly basis to reject an argument which doesn't exist.

An atheist doesn't have to "believe in the non existence of a god," an atheist need only say "i don't believe that" when someone tries to peddle their god argument.
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
A common theme within the justification of atheist thought is the inability to reconcile human suffering with a God of any sort, let alone a just and loving one.

I don't know of any atheists who feel obliged to "justify atheist thought," much less object to the imaginary friend superstition on such a basis. You've constructed an elaborate straw man there, but your premise is undemonstrated, and, i suspect, not demonstrable. It's rather sad that you suckered people into discussing this blather with you subsequently.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:19 am
@Setanta,
I am a believer in Bes. He is a old (egyptian) god who came from inner Africa (some say he was a pygmee) and spread over North Africa and Phoenician colonies. The island of Ibiza still caries his name.

He was a patron for the working class, prostitutes and sailors. Charms were worn around the ankle for protection... Thâts something else then a Jewish-Christian embarrasment of a God for the Upper-Classes. It's a pitty His son does not live anymore !
Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 09:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
2) They fear the disproportionate political impact of non-believers. Contrary to your plaintive question, non-believers in America do have a disproportionate degree of power. Whether or not this is good is another question, but the fact remains that it is the case.

Bullshit. The separation of church and state was intended to assure freedom of conscience for all believers in anything. It was not part of some deep laid plan on the part of a vanguard of crafty atheists. Jesus, the right wing will believe in conspiracy theories at the drop of a hat. The expression "wall of separation" come from a letter Jefferson wrote to a Baptist congregation in Connecticut complaining about how they were treated by the established church in that state--the Congregationalists.

"In God We Trust" is printed on the goddamned money for Christ's sake. Stop making **** up, Finn.