Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 12:21 am
@north,
north wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Do you, then, consider space to be 'nothing'?

do you mean what is in space ?

or space its self ?

Space. You know -- that which is capable of containing matter and/or energy. (It may or may not contain these.) Emptiness. Space. Under your definition, is this the same as 'nothing'?
north

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 02:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

north wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

or space its self ?

Space. You know -- that which is capable of containing matter and/or energy. (It may or may not contain these.) Emptiness. Space. Under your definition, is this the same as 'nothing'?

no

emptiness of space is no different than an empty fridge
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 04:26 pm
@north,
Good.
You had me worried with this sentence:

"but with nothing there is no fundamental form to measure , I can't draw the form of nothing out of space , like I can with something , to stand on its own , and measure it , not even with basic , fundamental geometry"

Space has no 'fundamental form' nor shape to measure. It is measureable only in terms of what contains it. In the case of the space which contains the matter of the universe, I suppose infinity is the only possible measurement. Still, that is something, not nothing.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 04:54 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

north wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

or space its self ?

no

emptiness of space is no different than an empty fridge

Actually, it is the same space, unless the door is closed and even then, the smallest leack makes them the same...It has been a while but I am fairly certain that is what Kant was saying...
0 Replies

Hermod

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:24 am
Are you asking me if anything exists? Ask yourself. Whatever conclusion you come to is yours. Surely you can't ever know for sure if anything is "real".

If "real" is what is readily in front of you (conveniently called real-ity) then only you can make it real. Anything other is refusing reality, which would make one insane.
Fido

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:15 pm
@Hermod,
Hermod wrote:

Are you asking me if anything exists? Ask yourself. Whatever conclusion you come to is yours. Surely you can't ever know for sure if anything is "real".

If "real" is what is readily in front of you (conveniently called real-ity) then only you can make it real. Anything other is refusing reality, which would make one insane.

Real is what we can't deny... Unreal is what we cannot defend...

Reality comes from res, Latin for: Thing... Reality as Heidegger might have said it is Thing-ness...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 10:39 pm
@tomr,
Yes, Tomr, a "contradiction" is just that, a description of a speech behavior: viz., to speak against a statement such as to deny it. It is not necessarily a denial about any other kind of phenomenon, only speech about phenomena.
0 Replies

Moon Guardian

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:00 am
@mark noble,
Nothing and nothingness' nature is the act of not existing. So no Nothing will never exist, because of how the concept is given. Even empty space isn't nothingness it is the closest representation, but is still a type of existence. Empty space in truth isn't even empty, it is filled with energy, potential of course. Invisible to the naked eye. The void in truth is not truely a void.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:11 pm
@Moon Guardian,
I think I reported somewhere but can't find it that Buddhism's central surtra--the Heart Sutra--stresses the interprenetration of so-called opposities such as nothingness and somethingness, or emptiness and form. It says that emptiness is form and form is emptiness, that each is exactly the other. I think this is something to consider.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:53 pm
@JLNobody,
I think that is the whole issue.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:27 pm
@JLNobody,
(Space is "Somethingness"...)

Form is Rule
Form is Pattern
Form is Set
Form is Substance (not necessarily Matter in the classic sense)

Emptiness... of Form
Emptiness... of Words
Emptiness... of Meaning
Emptiness... of Being

Empty of Emptiness...(Emptiness it is not...)

Glad we have diversity of opinion going on... Wink
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 12:17 am
@Hermod,
Hermod wrote:

Nietzsche?
Fido

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 10:57 pm
@55hikky,
55hikky wrote:

Hermod wrote:

Nietzsche?
Yes Hermod.... Life, my life is the essential quality of all reality, and for that reason, life is meaning... No life equals no meaning and no meaning attends all unreality, nothing by another word...
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:25 am
Something must exist or else I was getting a BJ off nothing earlier. Nothing said her name was Rachel.
Fido

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 05:38 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Something must exist or else I was getting a BJ off nothing earlier. Nothing said her name was Rachel.
Everyone knows her... She can suck a bowling ball through a garden hose... She probably sucked your brains out... Check right now and see if your skull is caved in...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 03:04 pm
And so the mind of an idiot redirects the issue...

Any given classroom, i guess.

North - Your fridge cannot be empty. we cannot observe with the naked eye what fills it, but it is full I assure you.

Nothing is not a conductor of heat or cold.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 04:52 pm
Does a sense of humour exist.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 06:52 pm
@mark noble,
Cold isn't conducted either...
mark noble

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Hi Fil!

If you freeze the end of an iron rod, the other end will soon get cold too.

Nice to see you.
Mark...
mark noble

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:51 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Hi E.

Of course it does, but it needn't be directed toward profanity and sexual innuendo to accomplish its' goal.

Be well!
Mark...
0 Replies