Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:57 am
@HexHammer,
Quote:
I really consider this a stupid selfexplanatory question.
Then you are either vastly superior and refuse to answer or rather stupid and cant see the complexity.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:33 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Oh, you need proof? I can come with a non-existant baseball bat and beat you silly.
mark noble, I had really thought of you to ask intelligent question, I really consider this a stupid selfexplanatory question.
Please disregard my post, I usually write something I later edit out, but the edit button in this forum disappears after a while, so I can't edit all my stupidities out, sorry.
A Lyn Fei

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:51 am
@Ionus,
Something is something. Emptiness is something. Space is something. Nothing is something.
mark noble

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:53 am
Hi All,
Please excuse Kennethamy, He is the troll of perfection that amuses himself at derailling threads. Nevertheless, I feel the need to attend to the point of my question, at this point, What with Hexhammer on his way over to beat me senseless with his non-existent bat, and all.

Can "SOMETHING arise from "NOTHING" - "SOME THING" + "NO THING"? Thank you, I'm certain nobody will have a clue as to what I am delivering here, but I'm also certain that Ken will have less of a clue, and likely introduce us to this clueless situation.

By the way A Lyn. You are spot on, Once again! Thankyou all, and have a lovely day.
Mark...
kennethamy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:35 am
@A Lyn Fei,
A Lyn Fei wrote:

No, I am definitely settled on this matter. Nothing cannot exist, semantically or otherwise. A lack of something is still the lack thereof and therefore inherently is something. I saw a lot of posts about "empty space" but where there is space at all, that is something. Semantically, "nothing" implies a lack of something specific. There is nothing on my desk is true, only in the sense that I usually have papers on it. There is, however, air and other things bouncing along that my eyes can't see.
Perhaps that was an unnecessary answer, but my answer is no- no thing cannot exist. It's a paradox, really.

Suppose I say that there is nothing in my drawer? Must I be saying something false? I think that what I would have said is that the proposition that there is something in my drawer, is false. Don't you?
A Lyn Fei

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:42 am
@kennethamy,
No, no. That is not false. By "there is nothing in my drawer" you mean that there are no clothes or knickknacks in your drawer. There is nothing you would classify as a "thing" in your drawer. However, as I previously said, there is air and there are things beyond our eyesight that exist in your drawer, including space.
mark noble

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:44 am
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken,
Yes, it is false - You know there are compounds and elementary particles in the drawer, along with their protons, neutrons, electron, gluons, gravitons, quark, etc, etc, etc. You know this Ken, we've done it all before.
Please let the thread progress? Don't think you have run into the weakest link here either - A Lyn will easily fend you off.
Have a nice day Ken.
Mark...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
@HexHammer,
Hi Hex,
I can't possibly be offended by you, my friend. I like you too much.
Have a great day, Hex.
Mark...
sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:02 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

In your opinion - does nothing exist,

No
mark noble wrote:

has it ever existed,

No
mark noble wrote:

can it ever exist?[/b]

No

Nothing is Nothing
not
Nothing is not Nothing.

Thanks, not always easy to answer though.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:58 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
Quote:
Something is something. Emptiness is something. Space is something. Nothing is something.
Is that a mantra because word games ignore realities.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:59 pm
@mark noble,
Yes it can. The big bang is an example.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:01 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
A lack of something specific is different from a lack of everything.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:06 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

As simple as that.........DOES NOTHING EXIST???

In your opinion - does nothing exist, has it ever existed, can it ever exist?

Just tell it as you see it! All are welcome to throw it out there.

Thank you guys.
Mark...

I know for certain that I exist.

Beyond the above, I cannot know anything for certain.
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:09 pm
@mark noble,
I am confused. Is your question, does NOTHING exist, or is it does ANYTHING exist?

If it is the first, yes, I believe that nothing exists and is ever constant throughout the existent world. In between atoms and such.

If your question is does ANYTHING exist, that is something else entirely. We can be sure that something exists as of the present 100%, in fact it's pretty much the only thing we can be 100% sure of, simply because if something is doubted, there must be something to doubt. Further more, Descartes simply answers it with the term, "Cogito ergo sum." I think, therefor I am. By our own definitions of existence, the mere act of questioning your own existence shows that there is something to question in the first place.

Has it ever existed? That really depends on your definition of nothing. Some people say that the universe was created out of nothingness, whether through quantum physics. This seems to violate causality, which states that everything is caused by something else in turn. Causality would state that there has always been something that is existent. Also, basic principles of matter and energy state that there will, if proven correct, always be something existent, because we cannot create or destroy matter. It will simply change shape as affected by causality.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:51 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
I can't possibly be offended by you, my friend. I like you too much.
Such grace ..such nobility!
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:13 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Thank you guys.
Mark...

nothing exists in my refrigerator , therefore nothing does exist , in it

BUT does nothing exist in the terms of the Universe , in particle physics , in the Quantum physics ? , NO
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:32 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

That's one of those questions that are really just word games. Going by dictionary definitions, as is my habit, my answer is no. By definition, "nothing" is "something that does not exist". So it doesn't exist. I don't claim there's any philosophical meat in this finding. It's just word usage.
Fido

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:36 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Thank you guys.
Mark...

Everything exists...
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:42 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

mark noble wrote:

That's one of those questions that are really just word games. Going by dictionary definitions, as is my habit, my answer is no. By definition, "nothing" is "something that does not exist". So it doesn't exist. I don't claim there's any philosophical meat in this finding. It's just word usage.

I agree

BUT one must define nothing though because , to have nothing in the fridge does not mean or imply that nothing does exist , it just means that the fridge is empty

another-way of looking at this above , is to say , if you nothing in your bank account and others do , does that imply that money does not exist ?

NO , just that I don't have any

as for the Universe , I have already explained 3 posts back
0 Replies

Aquathunda

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:48 pm
@mark noble,
I wonder that at times myself. I was once driving, and wondered if the person next to me was real or created for my perception. I then realized, if she was real or false, the true reality is that it doesn't affect the fact that she is there. It may be true that nothing exists, but in the end, does it matter?

This false life is real enough for me.