Is The Earth On It's Last Legs???

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:40 am
@Icon,
Farnham's Freehold is a disgusting exercise in ego fantasy by a reactionary, sexist, agist (contemptuous of the young), elitist and racist pig named Heinlein. If nothing else had done it, that novel convinced me that he wasn't worth the powder to blow him to Hell.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 04:40 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
The greatest problem we face right now is the methane hydrate problem
Come again? I dont think Im following.

As far as "MAss extinctions" are concerened, I am more concerned that our genus has only 1 species.

The interesting fact about the P/T extinction was how perfectly adaptationalist it was. The environment clkeared itself of all these "Tiny lunged" giant winged, sclerid skinned EDSELS of evolution and left the planet swept clean for some real innovation. MARVELOUS dont you think.

Itll all be over in less than 5 BY, why worry about legs.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 04:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Farnham's Freehold is a disgusting exercise in ego fantasy by a reactionary, sexist, agist (contemptuous of the young), elitist and racist pig named Heinlein. If nothing else had done it, that novel convinced me that he wasn't worth the powder to blow him to Hell.

I haven't read that one, but Stranger in a Strange Land turned me off of Heinlein.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:58 am
@edgarblythe,
So I see Setanta had not change his lovely personal since I block him.

Yes, Heinlein is a sexist pig as he had the opinion that females are far superior and far more important to the race then males.

One statement I love is the one that go women should never settle for being merely being the equal of men.

Icon

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:27 am
I had typed up this long post about Heinlein's ideas that not only outlined the amazing forward thinking (almost prophecy) that this man showed but how it applies to this conversation. Then I realized that everyone has their own opinion about his writings and everyone reads something else into it. Trying to explain my point of view would be pointless without a comprehension of my ideas. So, instead, I would simply state that I find his writings to be a very accurate commentary on the human mind when the charge of social stigmas are ignored.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:47 am
@BillRM,
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and Dogs should relax and accept it.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:00 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Itll all be over in less than 5 BY
We have one billion years till the life cycle of the sun makes it very difficult if not impossible for life to exist on this planet. The eventual absorption by the sun may take another couple of billion after that, or it may not happen...the jury is still out.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:02 am
@Icon,
Quote:

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and Dogs should relax and accept it.

there are certainly a lot of men who have given up, who not only expect women to run them over but think that it is the natural order of things.....

Sadness.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
a lot of men who have given up, who not only expect women to run them over
Women are allowed to drive where you are ?????
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:36 am
This Heinlein saying I love most of all and it is to the point for this thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are hidden contradictions in the minds of people who "love Nature" while deploring the "artificialities" with which "Man has spoiled 'Nature.'" The obvious contradiction lies in their choice of words, which imply that Man and his artifacts are not part of "Nature" — but beavers and their dams are. But the contradictions go deeper than this prima-facie absurdity. In declaring his love for a beaver dam (erected by beavers for beavers' purposes) and his hatred for dams erected by men (for the purposes of men) the Naturist reveals his hatred for his own race — i.e., his own self-hatred.
In the case of "Naturists" such self-hatred is understandable; they are such a sorry lot. But hatred is too strong an emotion to feel toward them; pity and contempt are the most they rate.
As for me, willy-nilly I am a man, not a beaver, and H. sapiens is the only race I have or can have. Fortunately for me, I like being part of a race made up of men and women — it strikes me as a fine arrangement — and perfectly "natural" Believe it or not, there were "Naturists" who opposed the first flight to old Earth's Moon as being "unnatural" and a "despoiling of Nature."
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:39 am
@BillRM,
Cold war mentality is alive and well in both Russian and US intelligence agencies, and does still have a great influence on both countries' foreign policies.
Krumple

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:47 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Did you notice the inadequate science described in the video ?

Yeah you didn't watch it either.
mark noble

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:54 am
@Krumple,
Hi Krumple,
Either? I watched it, damn well enjoyed it to.
Thank you for the link. I'm going to pop back in tomorrow and have a look at some more.
I find the speaker a little too sure of his opinion on "Instinct Alone" in regards to the animal subjects though. I Mean, if I were locked in a box and hungry, I'd soon learn which buttons to press too, wouldn't you?

I am not going to force my gesture or signature on you anymore, for I believe this action annoys you.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:16 pm
@Pangloss,
Cold war or no cold war mentality no one is going to commit suicide for his whole nation state in starting a full scale nuclear for no reason and for zero gains.

If there is going to be throwing a few atom bombs around in the middle east it is not going to involved the super powers.

And any middle east nation dumb enough to do so aimimg at Israel is going to not exist as a nation within less then 24 hours.

Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:35 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Cold war or no cold war mentality no one is going to commit suicide for his whole nation state in starting a full scale nuclear for no reason and for zero gains.

You forget about the Cuban missile crisis?

Quote:
If there is going to be throwing a few atom bombs around in the middle east it is not going to involved the super powers.

And any middle east nation dumb enough to do so aimimg at Israel is going to not exist as a nation within less then 24 hours.

You're quite sure of yourself on both of these claims, it would seem, and I wonder why.

You don't think that atom bombs being dropped in the middle east would involve any super powers? What planet do you live on? Every super power on this earth is heavily invested in the middle east; the oil reserves are necessary to cheaply maintain a large modern military and a strong economy, while the land is of high strategic and religious value.

As for Israel's supposed ability to conquer any other middle eastern nation with 24 hours...well, this statement just astounds me. Even Russia and the United States have found that after years of conflict, with tons of money and modern technology on their side, it is pretty difficult to conquer these places.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:04 pm
@Pangloss,
Quote:
You forget about the Cuban missile crisis?

Did I not said now that the cold war is over?

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:13 pm
@Pangloss,
Quote:
As for Israel's supposed ability to conquer any other middle eastern nation with 24 hours...well, this statement just astounds me

First I did not said conquered I said destroy, any nation or groups of nations in the Middle East, as nations that decided to used atom weapons to attack them within 24 hours.

They happen to be in the same class as England or France in their nuclear weapon capabilities.

Israel capabilities is a few thousands percent greater then such nuclear nations as India or Pakistan and even farther ahead of any possible new nuclear power such as Iran.
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:20 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Quote:
Did you notice the inadequate science described in the video ?
Yeah you didn't watch it either.
That is an assumption unless you can prove I didnt watch it ? For those of us who watched it with a clear head it makes a rather serious scientific error.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:24 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Israel capabilities is a few thousands percent greater then such nuclear nations as India or Pakistan and even farther ahead of any possible new nuclear power such as Iran.

Another incredibly dubious claim...how many is a "few" thousand percent greater, and what are we measuring here anyway, total kilotons of nuclear payload? Next time you might want to just stick to "greater" and leave out the rest...

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:41 pm
@Pangloss,
Quote:
Another incredibly dubious claim...how many is a "few" thousand percent greater, and what are we measuring here anyway, total kilotons of nuclear payload? Next time you might want to just stick to "greater" and leave out the rest...

Well if you are comparing a nation with a dozen or two dozen fairly small first or at best second generation atom weapons with a nation with the capability to wipe every population center of over a hundred thousands or so in the middle east off the map a few thousands percent seem like just right to me.

If Iran for example somehow got a few nuclear weapons into Israel population centers and kill a few hundreds thousands of their citizens it would take Israel less then 24 hours to destroy Iran with the greater bulk of their nuclear stock pile still unused.