Is The Earth On It's Last Legs???

mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 05:44 pm
@BillRM,
Hi Bill,
I agree. The permian extinction was 99% land, 93% ocean = 96% av. Snowball earth, fireball earth, co2 earth, sulphuric earth. All catastrophic, I grant, but it will take a lot less than any of these to decimate mankind. The greatest problem we face right now is the methane hydrate problem - It is increasing at an unprecedented rate. Once levels reach a certain amount, it will instantly trigger the global temperature to rise between 5 and 10 degrees... That should fry all life above ground, hard bake all life below ground and make the seas boil - It will melt the icecaps within a year and flood 4/5ths of the continental land mass. No plant life will survive and everything left alive will starve. The sun will be blotted out due to the increase in volcanic activity, the earth will shift off its axis by .9 degrees, tectonic shift will tear continents to pieces, set off 11 super volcanoes, and the moon - due to the shift in tilt will plunge into the earth - vapourising all solid materials (except the core) and Wallmart will relocate to the planet mars.
I can't see any of this being a problem till summer 2013. So you've got three years to pack some stuff ready, I mean - How long does it take???
Thank you Bill, and have a lovely day, sir.
Mark...
Pangloss

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 05:45 pm
I think it's very possible that the situation in the middle east could escalate to a third world war, within the next several years. The Earth, and life itself won't be wiped out until the Sun explodes/dies, or some large space object smacks it...but humans certainly could, if there is a global war where WMDs are used.
mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 05:51 pm
@Pangloss,
Hi Pangloss,
The middle-east is a pressure cooker ready to burst. I think that Iran will be framed for some act it hasn't committed, will retaliate by destroying Israel = End of civilization!!! WW111.
Have a great day.
Mark...
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:01 pm
@mark noble,
Come on now people a few small atoms bombs are not going to do any great harm to the whole world.

Now that the cold war is over I can not see the first 4 or so rate nuclear powers throwing hundreds or thousands of Hydrogen bombs around because of the Middle East.

Any war would mostly be fought with a few small atom bombs and any effects would be local only.

Side note the only power that may have a few hydrogen bombs in the middle east are our Jewish friends and given that even without such bombs they are likely to three hundred atom bombs and the ability to deliver them anywhere the middle east.

Any attacking nation with likely less then a dozen small atom bombs that attack them would be wipe out and Israel would not be.
Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:11 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Is The Earth On It's Last Legs???

This probably sounds a tad selfish, but I hope the big ball hangs on a wee bit longer until I croak! Neutral
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:29 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Come on now people a few small atoms bombs are not going to do any great harm to the whole world.

Now that the cold war is over I can not see the first 4 or so rate nuclear powers throwing hundreds or thousands of Hydrogen bombs around because of the Middle East.

Any war would mostly be fought with a few small atom bombs and any effects would be local only.

Side note the only power that may have a few hydrogen bombs in the middle east are our Jewish friends and given that even without such bombs they are likely to three hundred atom bombs and the ability to deliver them anywhere the middle east.

Any attacking nation with likely less then a dozen small atom bombs that attack them would be wipe out and Israel would not be.

Not exactly a few small atom bombs...

The US and Russia both basically have first-strike nuclear policies, where the idea is essentially, once you decide to use nukes against another nuclear power, you go all-in. Launch the whole arsenal first at enemy nuclear silos, military bases and communications buildings, and then large population centers. And we don't use 'atom bombs' anymore; it would be Minuteman ICBMs, and Trident SLBMs (sub-launched), along with some guided nukes from stealth bombers. These missiles can take up to 8 warheads; each warhead is equivalent in payload to ~20 of the "Little Boy" type bombs that was dropped on Hiroshima. The US arsenal consists of hundreds of these missiles.

Russia's arsenal would be even more devastating. That's why the first-strike policy is so important, and why we've got nuclear subs patrolling the oceans 24/7. Then SDI would hopefully take care of the diminished retaliatory launch by Russia (though probably not).
Ionus

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
the illuminati plan such an event to institute a one world government, planned plague that will reduce the population
Rubbish ! We dont exist. You cant prove we exist. It is all your imaginings.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:01 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I have only seen one copy of Farnham's Freehold in my life. I still own it.
NEVER give up old books. I had Asimov's Foundation Trilogy as a child and decided to get it again....US$130 !!!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:05 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
we are losing species at a horrendous rate
It doesnt matter if we lose species, they are a temporary adaptation. It is more important to maintain the family rather then the species. In less than ten thousand years, new species will evolve from the family.
Pemerson

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:06 pm
Aw, we're just going to experience a little dark age. It's all that immigrating from country to country, people not understanding one another. It's been done before, we'll weather it. This earth has plenty of legs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:42 pm
@Icon,
Even Waldo & Magic Incorporated?

If anyone doesn't know, this is the source of the name for the material handling devices originally designed for radioactive environments in the lab.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:44 pm
@Ionus,
This is completely incorrect, but I'm too tired to explain it. Maybe Farmerman will read aloud to you.
Krumple

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:08 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All,
According to your interpretation of catastrophic events now in irreversible motion (climate-change, deforestation, ozone depletion, resource-exhaustion, pollution, overpopulation, melting ice-caps, rising sea-levels, etc), How long do you think it will be before the societal integrity in your little part of the world falls apart?
And how long before the GLOBAL collapse of said?

Please give an approximate timeframe and reason for.

I see what kind of person you are now Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_6-iVz1R0o
mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:11 pm
@Krumple,
Hi Krumple,
Please elaborate.
Thank you.
Mark...
Krumple

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:14 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Krumple,
Please elaborate.
Thank you.
Mark...

did you watch the youtube link?
mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 08:20 pm
@Krumple,
Hi Krumple,
A little of yes. Still don't see your point though (whatever that is) I enjoyed what I saw, very logical.
Mark...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:15 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Maybe Farmerman will read aloud to you.
Perhaps I should read aloud to you. Correct to two decimal places all life on earth is extinct if we go by species. Species are constantly coming and going according to changes in the environment. During times of great environmental change, there is a large loss of species. During times of world wide environmental change, there is a mass extinction event.

Depending on which families of animals are left is the criteria for which species emerge to take advantage of the new conditions. It takes roughly 3-4,000 years for a new species of finch to evolve. Most environments have after 10,000 years fully recovered to the point of having new species in them.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:30 pm
@Krumple,
Did you notice the inadequate science described in the video ?
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:01 am
@Pangloss,
And why would Russia and the US attack each other with full sale nuclear weapons over a local war in the Middle East now that the cold war is a thing of the past?

Any of the local Middle East powers does not have now and are not going to have a large nuclear forces with the semi-exception of Israel.

You should had read my posting as I had said the top three or four nuclear powers are not going to go to nuclear war over the Middle East and the very worst we are looking at is a small scale used of atom bombs.
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:37 am
@mark noble,
I just wanted to point out that the Earth doesn't give a rat's ass about us, and the only thing in danger of collapse (arguably--these sorts of contentions underwhelm me) is our artificial construct environment. I'm not convinced that it's in danger, anyway.
0 Replies