Introductions about someone else for the new folk

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Swimpy, a woman of graceful posts and life accrued smarts, lives in Iowa.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:39 pm
@farmerman,
I thought I knew Joe and Endy better than that. They cut me out of the action.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:41 pm
@JPB,
Hiya JPB! I was out of town since last Thursday, just got back. Seems like there was just a wee bit of activity when I was gone... (!)

FreeDuck (who I don't see mentioned in a quick scan but it was a quick scan) is a rare and wonderful combination of laser-focus rationality, wit, and warmth. Doesn't post much anymore, but lovely to see her when she shows up. I'd love to see her do some philosophizing.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:42 pm
Lord Ellpus is still on line. He just abandoned us. He came up on facebook not long ago. It was one of those nudges to tag a person as a friend. I requested to be made a friend but got rejected.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:46 pm
@ossobuco,
On Kara, or Karateka at abuzz - I first knew her as a bright woman even older than I am who did karate...

at least at that time (and for all I know she still does), she lived in both North Carolina and Ireland. I did two big (3 x 4 foot) paintings, with her permission, from photos of Ireland that she sent me. The damn things both sold, which was useful for my being able to eat that year, but now I wish she and I each had one of them.

At time present time she mostly hangs out on the a2k book threads, but she got a sharp analytic mind for politics, ecology, food, and other matters. She is also very wise about marriage and children, but just about never posts on them here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:48 pm
@sozobe,
Hi, Soz (speaking of favorites, soz is one) - that's an example of our general doh' nuss. How could we forget Free Duck. Talk about analytic.. I'm even following her - I don't follow many as since I am on a2k so often, I usually only follow people of interest that I don't see very often.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
He just abandoned us.

Bastard.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:22 pm
@DrewDad,
Let's organize a party to find and kick his ass.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:26 pm
I imagine the philofolk are having a hard enough time figuring out those of us who are here, to say nothing of sorting out the ones who aren't.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 03:32 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I imagine the philofolk are having a hard enough time figuring out those of us who are here, to say nothing of sorting out the ones who aren't.

They probably gave up reading this thread early on anyway. Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 04:04 pm
rosborne979
I don't recall his name getting mentioned, but this board would be greatly diminished if he were to leave us.
salima

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:59 pm
@JPB,
not me! this will be one of my reference threads...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:50 pm
Since I'm late to this thread, I find that most of my favorite posters are already introduced. All I can do is introduce two favorites of mine who currently don't post here. But they might come back---and even if they don't, the post they've contributed are well worth re-reading.

Terry used to post a lot on religion, and on the corners of philosophy surrounding it. You can get a pretty good glimpse of her temperament by reading her profile: "Argue with me, present well-researched facts and intelligent opinions, tell me what you believe and why, point out flaws in my logic, and we will learn from each other. Post falsehoods, distortions of the truth, pointless platitudes or illogical arguments and you will find that I do not suffer fools gladly." Especially the latter part. (Hehee.)

Another poster worth re-reading is Debra Law. As her name indicates, she's a lawyer. She posted a lot about civil rights, which she's very passionate about and very competent in. I have never learned as much from any other single poster on A2K as I have learned by arguing with Debra (and usually losing).

Actually, the same is true of joefromchicago, who is still a very active poster here---but he has already been introduced. Everything the others said about him is true. I would add that the hardcore born-again baptists have expelled him for being a religious weirdo---he believes in the Chicago Cubs.
littlek

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:56 pm
Heeven! Our feisty, irish-Bostonian emu!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
rosborne 979 has not been introduced??? Jeezus H Christ. Ros is one of the slientest but deadliest wits on the board. His ability to find the absurd being posted as truth , is phenomenal. He lives in the beautiful state of New HAmpshire and is one guy I really want to meet when in New England. He has the ability to extract the case-truth from out of all the pages of babble and he can lay out some of the best crafted and succinct arguments.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:01 pm
@Thomas,
I'll second Terry, thanks for that, Thomas. And omigosh, re Rosborne.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I havent heard of Terry for a while. I think she was living in Alaska several years ago.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

The only thing you need to know about hawkeye10 is that he doesn't want to have sex with children. He just wants to have the right to have sex with children.

Ha! I require a link to verify this claim!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Lord Ellpus is still on line. He just abandoned us. He came up on facebook not long ago. It was one of those nudges to tag a person as a friend. I requested to be made a friend but got rejected.

Really? Shocked

At least (last thing I remembered being talked about here) the fellow's not dead. I liked him a lot.

Edgar, are you sure it wasn't his son on FaceBook?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:43 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Really? Shocked

At least (last thing I remembered being talked about here) the fellow's not dead. I liked him a lot.

Edgar, are you sure it wasn't his son on FaceBook?

I don't know for certain it is even the same person. He was listed as Lord Ellpus. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.