Exploring philosophy through humor

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:53 pm
Philosophy and humor are not mutually incompatible. Exhibit A is Monty Python's often very philosophical work.

I want to start a thread for those who enjoy humorous philosophical exploration. With proper government funding, we can make philosophy truly silly! What are some examples of good philosophical humor?

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,

"Master says we should think for ourselves!"
dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
This is a site where you argue with Socrates.

Looks like fun...I think:

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sclinic.htm

It's based on The Argument Clinic from Monty Python:

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:10 pm
@dlowan,
Another site I may mine:

http://consc.net/phil-humor.html
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
In an episode of Will and Grace, Jack and Karen were mourning the loss of both Frasier and Friends. They decide to have some hilarious real life experiences instead. Jack: "I'll see you in Central Perk in an hour." Karen: "But Jack, sweetie, Central Perk doesn't exist, it's fictional." Jack (hesitates): "Oh all right, two hours."
0 Replies

G-Thomson

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:25 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DABvc
It doesn't offer much in the way of philosophy, but contains a few good, witty puns.
There's also Monty Python's Philosophy Football sketch. That's great.
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:55 pm
Fun thread! I haven't had a chance to read the linked humorous philosophy articles yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I offer three "Clown Philosophy" vids from Youtube -- they're part of a series of (animation) point/counterpoint debates between a Christian Fundamentalist and an Arrogant Atheist; the series sometimes features only one of these two main characters interviewing a "special guest", such as the "Clown Philosopher".

1. Fundamental Christian attempts to interview The Clown
2. Arrogant Atheist's first encounter with The Clown (existential nature of parallel universes)
3. Arrogant Atheist and Clown (Star Trek and The Civil War)

rebecca
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 06:01 pm
A student goes up to his philosophy professor and says: "In your lecture, you said that an ad hominem argument was always fallacious, but I disagree. There are times when an ad hominem is the only proper response to make. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that ad hominem arguments are never fallacious."

The philosophy professor responds: "well, it figures you'd say that."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm a little shakey on what exactly philosophy is defined to be. But.... Small Gods and MANY other books by Terry Pratchett seem to fit the bill for humorous philosophy. Below is a link to some quotes from that book, but Pratchett out of context is not nearly as funny or clever as reading his books through.

http://www.lspace.org/books/pqf/small-gods.html

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:35 pm
mr carlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkU3kiuZVuE&feature=related
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Philosophy and humor are not mutually incompatible.

Of course not. Some things said by philosophers, and those who believe they are philosophers, are hilarious.
margo

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

Of course not. Some things said by philosophers, and those who believe they are philosophers, are hilarious.

Fine example.
I think you've an uphill battle, RG
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

Kenny -- example(s), please?

rebecca
kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:37 pm
@melonkali,
melonkali wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

rebecca

You need only read a few posts at random on this or any board. I don't want to get personal. But many posts can be best described as word salad. Cicero noted a long time ago that there is nothing so absurd that some philosopher has not said it. And philosophy was in its very early stages then,
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:57 pm
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I think they call it Irony
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:34 pm
@kennethamy,
Dear Ken, humour Sophia and explain how you keep her in the mood ?
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:40 am
@melonkali,
melonkali wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

rebecca

Rebecca, you should know better than to ask ken such a question. His answer was typical.

Robert, it is interesting that it is you who created this particular topic? I am curious..........why? I will have to agree many of those who venture into philosophical domains do it to express how intelligent they think they are and many do seem to like matching wits with each other. Surely this in not why you purchased the Philforum for those who go there to make a fool of them? I surely wouldn't want to think that.

Referring to the clip you bring and it's theme "thinking for ones self", would you please explain how anyone can do that without being so very, terribly lonely?

Thanks,

William
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:51 am
@William,
Very bright people think humour is an intelligent way of communication. Embarrassed
William

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:17 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Very bright people think humour is an intelligent way of communication. Embarrassed

Hello Pep, considering some of the "humor" out there today, I find it very difficult to associate brilliance to it. Is that what is intelligence is now?

William