The necessary truth of any truth

kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:
That is, "it is raining inside my house" is not a "truth" when it is not actually raining inside my house.

Well, who would disagree with that? If it's not raining inside my house, the proposition "It is raining inside my house" is not true.

And it does not even have to be not actually raining inside my house. All it requires for it not to be a truth (or, if you like, a "truth", although I fail to see the difference between a truth and a "truth") is that it not be raining inside my house. Whether it is not actually raining inside my house does not seem to matter one way or the other.
north

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:38 pm
@kennethamy,

The necessary truth of any truth would require the absence of non-sence
Zetherin

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:43 pm
@kennethamy,
I think "actually" was just used for effect here. It was excessive, yes.

And I think sometimes people put the word "truth" in quotes when they think that truth is relative. That is, they think facts are determined by us. Guigus, is that what you meant?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:49 pm
@north,
north wrote:

The necessary truth of any truth would require the absence of non-sence

Truth requires the absence of nonsense. And maybe "non-sence" for all I know.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:52 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

I think "actually" was just used for effect here. It was excessive, yes.

And I think sometimes people put the word "truth" in quotes when they think that truth is relative. That is, they think facts are determined by us. Guigus, is that what you meant?

Well, thanks for the speculation. I think people should not put unexplained mysterious stylistic curlicues into what they write, since they merely confuse. But maybe, that's just me.
0 Replies

north

@kennethamy,

and common sense
0 Replies

Zetherin

Maybe you guys can fill me in:

What exactly does "the necessary truth of any truth" mean? Not all truths are necessary, so, I do not know what is meant here.

North, you seem to be arguing for it. Or something.
ughaibu

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Truth requires the absence of nonsense.
Your above claim is nonsense, if it's nonsense. So, the truth of the claim that your claim is nonsense requires that there be nonsense. As some truth requires the existence of nonsense, it's not the case that truth requires the absence of nonsense. Therefore, your claim is nonsense.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

What exactly does "the necessary truth of any truth" mean? Not all truths are necessary, so, I do not know what is meant here.

for me it means what are the fundametals of truth
Zetherin

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:57 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

Alright, I don't know what the fundamentals of truth are. Can you name me one?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:58 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

I guess it just means that necessarily, all truths are true. And, of course, that is true. Just as, necessarily, all bananas are bananas. And who would quarrel with that? In general, of course, necessarily, all Xs are Xs.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:06 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

north wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

Alright, I don't know what the fundamentals of truth are. Can you name me one?

understanding your physical self and what are the ingredients that are necessary for you to be made
Zetherin

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:12 pm
@north,
north wrote:

understanding your physical self and what are the ingredients that are necessary for you to be made

Let us suppose hydrogen is one of the ingredients that is necessary for us to be human. Now what? Our knowing this allows us to know other truths, like that penguins live in Antarctica?
north

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

north wrote:

Let us suppose hydrogen is one of the ingredients that is necessary for us to be human. Now what? Our knowing this allows us to know other truths, like that penguins live in Antarctica?

what the truth of what we are made of allows us to move to the understanding that the Universe is the reason that we as Humans can and do exist , physically and therefore also other life forms on this planet
kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:32 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

north wrote:

what the truth of what we are made of allows us to move to the understanding that the Universe is the reason that we as Humans can and do exist , physically and therefore also other life forms on this planet

It does? Can you show how it does? That would really be fascinating!
dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:34 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
some of us are pretty sceptical when it comes to Aristotelian logic.
a minimalist statement.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:40 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
some of us are pretty sceptical when it comes to Aristotelian logic.
a minimalist statement.

And may, in my opinion, show an ignorance of logic, since logic, as I understand it, is only an extension and refinement of Aristotelian logic. So, to be skeptical of Aristotelian logic is tantamount to being skeptical of logic. And it is hard for me to understand what that even comes too.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:57 pm
@kennethamy,

wherelse do you think that what makes us comes from ?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:01 pm
@north,
north wrote:

wherelse do you think that what makes us comes from ?

Sorry, no idea what you are asking, or why you are asking what you are asking.
north

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:05 pm
@kennethamy,
then why did you ask what you asked in post # ( no numbered posts anymore people ) then ?

( 5 posts back )
0 Replies