The necessary truth of any truth

Zetherin

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:39 pm
NightRipper wrote:
Just like "pigs" can fly if you think that "pig" is just another word for an airplane.

No, it would not be like this analogy. "Pig" is not another word for "airplane", and even if someone believed it was, they would be wrong. "Opinion", on the other hand, is another word for "belief". We're not redefining any words; it is a definition of the word.

I suppose opinions are the sort of beliefs that kennethamy mentions, even though I'm not sure that's the best way to describe them.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:43 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
"Pig" is not another word for "airplane", and even if someone believed it was, they would be wrong.

Why? Because they would be alone? What if an entire country started using it that way? You should consider how words get defined before you start claiming certain definitions are wrong. I think that definitions are never right nor wrong but simply popular or unpopular, traditional or nontraditional.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:45 pm
Night Ripper wrote:
I think it's more likely that common language can be rather ambiguous and that, as philosophers, we should try to use precise definitions. That's why I suggest that opinions, at least the meaning distinct from just another belief or thought, is a subjective belief. That would at least convey something new without duplicating meanings unnecessarily.

I understand that, but then we must distinguish between the more technical sense of the word you wish to use, and the ordinary sense of the word. Because in ordinary language, opinions are not just subjective beliefs like that of believing that chocolate is the best flavor of icecream. Opinions can also be about matters of fact, things which are not subjective.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:46 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I understand that, but then we must distinguish between the more technical sense of the word you wish to use, and the ordinary sense of the word. Because in ordinary language, opinions are not just subjective beliefs like that of believing that chocolate is the best flavor of icecream. Opinions can also be about matters of fact, things which are not subjective.

Just like pigs can also be airplanes.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:02 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

No, since pigs cannot be airplanes, but we can have opinions about matters of fact such as whether President Obama is in the White House bathroom at the moment.
ughaibu

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:04 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
I think that definitions are never right nor wrong but simply popular or unpopular, traditional or nontraditional.
Nevertheless, you seem to think that Guigus is wrong about necessity, as a matter of definition.
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
we can have opinions about matters of fact such as whether President Obama is in the White House bathroom at the moment.
You mean we can guess. Guess may intersect opinion but they're certainly not synonyms.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:07 pm
@Night Ripper,
Of course definitions can be right or wrong. What makes a definition of a word right, is that that is the definition which speakers of the word use. The job of lexicographers is to record and compile the definitions of words and then write dictionaries. If any word meant any thing, there would be no use for dictionaries, and these people wouldn't have jobs.
Night Ripper wrote:

What does "pigs can also be airplanes" mean? The word "pig" refers to a sort of animal. The word "airplane" refers to winged vehicles capable of flight. You know that, right?
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

No, since pigs cannot be airplanes, but we can have opinions about matters of fact such as whether President Obama is in the White House bathroom at the moment.

Oh, well since you keep repeating your assertion it must be correct.

On second thought, saying that some opinions can be a matter of fact is about as strange as saying that some pigs can be airplanes. If we get beyond the words and strike at the meanings there is a meaning of the word "opinion" that can't be a matter of fact just like there is a meaning of the word "pig" that can't be an airplane.

Zetherin wrote:
The word "pig" refers to a sort of animal. The word "airplane" refers to winged vehicles capable of flight. You know that, right?

The word "opinion" refers to a subjective belief.

*shrugs*

I'll leave it at that.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:16 pm
Night Ripper wrote:

Indeed it does, but not only.
Quote:
On second thought, saying that some opinions can be a matter of fact is about as strange as saying that some pigs can be airplanes

It's not at all, because the word can also refer to professional judgments which aren't subjective, like those given by doctors. A doctor's opinion that I have AIDS, isn't a subjective belief. It is a belief about something objective. Wouldn't you say? Or do you think that the diseases I have are subjective - that is, mind-dependent, whatever I believe is the case?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:56 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

Oh, well since you keep repeating your assertion it must be correct.

On second thought, saying that some opinions can be a matter of fact is about as strange as saying that some pigs can be airplanes. If we get beyond the words and strike at the meanings there is a meaning of the word "opinion" that can't be a matter of fact just like there is a meaning of the word "pig" that can't be an airplane.

Zetherin wrote:
The word "pig" refers to a sort of animal. The word "airplane" refers to winged vehicles capable of flight. You know that, right?

*shrugs*

I'll leave it at that.

You mean I cannot have an opinion on whether Obama is right now in the bathroom, and that that opinion is not either true or false.

1. Whether I have an opinion is objective, not subjective.
2. What my opinion is, may or may not be subjective, depending on what that opinion is. If it is that chocolate ice cream is nicer than vanilla ice cream, then it is subjective. But if it is whether Obama is occupying the bathroom, it is objective. On the other hand,
3. All opinions are subjective in that they are mental states, and all mental states are subjective.

You may have 3. in mind when you say (so dogmatically) that all opinions are subjective.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

ACB wrote:

Zetherin wrote:
Wait, and what is your issue here?

Two things. Firstly, I have no idea what "possible father" (or "father candidate") means. Can we have a non-circular definition, please?

Secondly, statements such as "my father is not necessarily my father" or "my father has not necessarily become my father" commit the fallacy of equivocation, since (as I have explained) they use the term "my father" in two different senses.

Did you ever have sex with a woman? (Or, if you are a woman, with a man?) Did you take precautions? What reason would you have to take them, besides disease prevention? Wouldn't it be that having sex with a woman puts you the position of being a possible father? (Or, if you are a woman, a "possible mother"?) Or you still don't know what I am talking about?

Possible fathers are not a particular kind of father as is generous father or reluctant father. "Possible fathers" are just males who might become fathers under certain conditions. The trouble is that you are reifying the term "possible father".

Did you notice that your arguments are becoming increasingly far-fetched? So lets dig in: did you notice the essential difference between "generous father" and "possible father"? Let me remember you: the first is either a possibility or an actuality, while the second is expressly a possibility. But you have problems with possibilities, since for you they are not real, right? So for you anyone that takes a possibility seriously is "reifying" it. That is, if your girlfriend tells you to take precautions before sex, you tell her: baby, you are reifying this possibility...

Oh my! Why am I discussing anything at all with this chap? You think that a possible father is like a tall father. Let me just point out one difference. A possible father need not be a father. But a tall father need be a father. Therefore, no possible fathers are fathers. QED.

Then answer me, chap: what a possible father is? Nothing? So there is no possible father, only actual fathers, that's what you would say. The guy was born a father. The world is a series of actualities, right?

The problem is that, in the real world, an actual father must have become a father at some point in the past, right? So he must have been a non-actually possible father once, otherwise he could never have become an actual father, don't you agree? So at some point he was a possible father without yet being an actual one, otherwise he would never have become an actual father to begin with: he, precisely, couldn't have become an actual father without being first a (non-actually) possible father. And you are right: a possible father does not exist in the same way an actual father does - either one exists in its own way.

And in which way does the possible father exist? I hope it is a happy way. Remember, is existence is pretty chancy, and if he gets horny, well, he will not longer we just a possible father, he will be an actual father. And where will the possible father be then? Nowhere! By the way, there is a census count of all the fathers in the United States. But have you noticed that there is no count of all the possible fathers in the US. I think that verges on discrimination. And then, I keep wondering how many possible fat fathers there are. Are there more possible fat fathers than there are possible thin fathers? And suppose that two possible fat fathers try to squeeze into a small room; it is easier for them to do that then it is for two fathers? And finally, the question all of us have been waiting for: how many possible fathers does it take to change a light bulb?

The US could well do a census of possible fathers: men in the age from 15 on that are not sterile, etc. And probably there are more possible fathers than actual ones, don't you agree? Finally, the number of possible fathers it takes to change a light bulb is identical to the number of actual fathers required by the task.

Man, I have nothing to do with your insistence in demanding that possibilities have the same type of existence than actualities to recognize their existence at all: this is a just consequence of your insistence in denying any existence at all to possibilities. As I told you many times and will repeat once more: possibilities exist in a different way than actualities. However, they sure exist, otherwise actualities would't exist either.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:37 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Tell that to the folks who say my opinions are wrong.

Opinions can't be right or wrong because they are subjective statements. That's what makes them opinions. These people would be making a category error.

My doctor, when asked for his opinion as to my condition, diagnosed it as measles. And you know, he was right. So that is an example of an opinion that was right. Another day, I asked my friend whether he thought that Zelda loved me, and he replied, "Well, it's only my opinion, but yes, I think she does." And, you know, I hope he is right, and not wrong. I don't know whether he is right or wrong, but I know he is either right or wrong.

Then you no nothing about love, and also nothing about women.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Night Ripper doesn't understand the simple understanding of what an opinion is, and he's trying to tell me everything I say isn't right or wrong.

Does Night Ripper know that medicine is just as much an art as it is science? That economics is art, and not science? All those doctors and expert economists could never be wrong, because they are just subjective statements.

I bet he failed in logic.

What comes to light here is the statistical nature of medicine, which - as lately has become increasingly more clear - is also the nature any other science. Today, probabilities govern the world, as much as quantum physics does, which makes possibilities first-class citizens of our logic, side-by-side with actualities, to the disliking of classical guys in general.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:03 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:
Is "bats have wings" and instance of the principle of identity? How is that?

No, but it is an example of a contingent truth. You know, the sorts of truth people think you're claiming do not exist.
guigus wrote:
What I mean is "necessarily, all truths are true" or "all truths are necessarily true," which are the same to me, and not "all truths are necessary," which would be a form of determinism.

This is the problem. You're not understanding why "necessarily, all truths are true" and "all truths are necessarily true" are not identical. They are not identical because the different positions of the modal operator, "necessary", change the meaning of the sentence.

The first sentence, "necessarily, all truths are true" is tautologous, and Swartz calls the necessity in this first sentence "relative" necessity, and what he means by this is that the necessary condition in that sentence is, the truth is true. Given that condition, the truth is true! And that's all that sentence means. The second sentence, "all truths are necessarily true", however, means, as you say, "all truths are necessary". It means that contingent truths do not exist, and that every truth is a necessary truth. And this is false.

The problem seems to be not that you believe that all truths are necessary, but that you cannot understand the difference between these two sentences. I have no clue how the discussion got this out of control, especially if this is the only issue. There's no need to talk about possible fathers, actual fathers, fat fathers, thin fathers, or sex with fathers.

I appreciate your good will in trying to explain this to me, and although you cannot conceive of it, I do understand the difference you are pointing to: what I am saying to you is that it is just a misunderstanding, not of the syntax of the sentence, but of its semantics, as well as of the nature both of truth and of the principle of identity. To see that, just ask yourself: is "necessarily, A is A" different from "A is necessarily A"? If the necessity of being the same as itself were not immanent in all things, then there would be no point in uttering the necessity that anything were identical to itself, since nothing would have in itself the necessity of being identical to itself: the principle of identity would become arbitrary.

Besides, uttering that "necessarily, A is A" is true while "A is necessarily A" is false is just misreading "A is necessarily A," as if the first "A" were not identical to the second one, which it is. It would be the same as reading "my father is necessarily my father" as if the first "my father" meant "James" while the second meant a father status. Or, finally, it would be the same as reading "every truth must be true" as if "truth" meant a possibility and "true" meant an actuality - which is what you are doing. The statement says that any (already) actual truth must be the same as itself - or a truth - hence true (A is A).
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:15 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:

No, but it is an example of a contingent truth. You know, the sorts of truth people think you're claiming do not exist.
guigus wrote:
What I mean is "necessarily, all truths are true" or "all truths are necessarily true," which are the same to me, and not "all truths are necessary," which would be a form of determinism.

This is the problem. You're not understanding why "necessarily, all truths are true" and "all truths are necessarily true" are not identical. They are not identical because the different positions of the modal operator, "necessary", change the meaning of the sentence.

The first sentence, "necessarily, all truths are true" is tautologous, and Swartz calls the necessity in this first sentence "relative" necessity, and what he means by this is that the necessary condition in that sentence is, the truth is true. Given that condition, the truth is true! And that's all that sentence means. The second sentence, "all truths are necessarily true", however, means, as you say, "all truths are necessary". It means that contingent truths do not exist, and that every truth is a necessary truth. And this is false.

The problem seems to be not that you believe that all truths are necessary, but that you cannot understand the difference between these two sentences. I have no clue how the discussion got this out of control, especially if this is the only issue. There's no need to talk about possible fathers, actual fathers, fat fathers, thin fathers, or sex with fathers.

Being a little more brief: although there is indeed a difference between "necessarily, A is B" and "A is necessarily B," there is no difference at all between "necessarily, A is A" and "A is necessarily A." The latter two sentences differ in syntax alone, while the first two sentences differ also in semantics. The reason is that "A is necessarily A," as I already pointed out, is the logical foundation of "necessarily, A is A." And "every truth must be true" is an instance of "A is A."
kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:33 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:

guigus wrote:

Being a little more brief: although there is indeed a difference between "necessarily, A is B" and "A is necessarily B," there is no difference at all between "necessarily, A is A" and "A is necessarily A." The latter two sentences differ in syntax alone, while the first two sentences differ also in semantics. The reason is that "A is necessarily A," as I already pointed out, is the logical foundation of "necessarily, A is A." And "every truth must be true" is an instance of "A is A."

although there is indeed a difference between "necessarily, A is B" and "A is necessarily B,"

Hallaluja! There is a God! But there also is a Devil, for he takes it all back in the next few sentences. "Neither "every truth is true" nor "every truth must be true" are instances of A is A. Necessarily, If p is true, then p is true" and " if p is true, then p is necessarily true" are instances of A is A. Of course, it they were, then they would be equivalent sentences since "things equal to the same thing are equal to each other" and that would contradict your God-given admission. And that is why I said you took it all back in the next few sentences.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:36 am
It often comes into my mind that the truthfulness of Truth is so Absolute, and so not relative, that might well be that Truth causes Cause, but that there´s no cause for Truth...

The necessary truth of any truth is that Truth is only relative to itself !
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:48 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
And to the individual.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

It often comes into my mind that the truthfulness of Truth is so Absolute, and so not relative, that might well be that Truth causes Cause, but that there´s no cause for Truth...

The necessary truth of any truth is that Truth is only relative to itself !

What insides!