@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

ACB wrote:

Zetherin wrote:
Wait, and what is your issue here?

Two things. Firstly, I have no idea what "possible father" (or "father candidate") means. Can we have a non-circular definition, please?

Secondly, statements such as "my father is not necessarily my father" or "my father has not necessarily become my father" commit the fallacy of equivocation, since (as I have explained) they use the term "my father" in two different senses.

Did you ever have sex with a woman? (Or, if you are a woman, with a man?) Did you take precautions? What reason would you have to take them, besides disease prevention? Wouldn't it be that having sex with a woman puts you the position of being a possible father? (Or, if you are a woman, a "possible mother"?) Or you still don't know what I am talking about?

Possible fathers are not a particular kind of father as is generous father or reluctant father. "Possible fathers" are just males who might become fathers under certain conditions. The trouble is that you are reifying the term "possible father".

Did you notice that your arguments are becoming increasingly far-fetched? So lets dig in: did you notice the essential difference between "generous father" and "possible father"? Let me remember you: the first is either a possibility or an actuality, while the second is expressly a possibility. But you have problems with possibilities, since for you they are not real, right? So for you anyone that takes a possibility seriously is "reifying" it. That is, if your girlfriend tells you to take precautions before sex, you tell her: baby, you are reifying this possibility...

Oh my! Why am I discussing anything at all with this chap? You think that a possible father is like a tall father. Let me just point out one difference. A possible father need not be a father. But a tall father need be a father. Therefore, no possible fathers are fathers. QED.

Then answer me, chap: what a possible father is? Nothing? So there is no possible father, only actual fathers, that's what you would say. The guy was born a father. The world is a series of actualities, right?

The problem is that, in the real world, an actual father must have become a father at some point in the past, right? So he must have been a non-actually possible father once, otherwise he could never have become an actual father, don't you agree? So at some point he was a possible father without yet being an actual one, otherwise he would never have become an actual father to begin with: he, precisely, couldn't have become an actual father without being first a (non-actually) possible father. And you are right: a possible father does not exist in the same way an actual father does - either one exists in its own way.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:37 pm
@guigus,
How many more ways do you intend to explain logic to kenneth?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:47 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

"Truth lies in the eye of the beholder"means there is no such thing as "objective reality". Truth is "what works" and "belief" is the degree of confidence is "what works". The fact that there is much statistical agreement in this matter has already been discussed. As for the status of propositional logic in all this, that is a mere mathematical exercise in set theory only occasionally involved in "confidence levels".

When something works, is it true that it works, and does that mean that it works that it works, in which case, does that mean that it works that it works that it works...and so on? Don't you see how silly that definition of "truth" as what works is?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:58 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

ACB wrote:

Zetherin wrote:
Wait, and what is your issue here?

Two things. Firstly, I have no idea what "possible father" (or "father candidate") means. Can we have a non-circular definition, please?

Secondly, statements such as "my father is not necessarily my father" or "my father has not necessarily become my father" commit the fallacy of equivocation, since (as I have explained) they use the term "my father" in two different senses.

Did you ever have sex with a woman? (Or, if you are a woman, with a man?) Did you take precautions? What reason would you have to take them, besides disease prevention? Wouldn't it be that having sex with a woman puts you the position of being a possible father? (Or, if you are a woman, a "possible mother"?) Or you still don't know what I am talking about?

Possible fathers are not a particular kind of father as is generous father or reluctant father. "Possible fathers" are just males who might become fathers under certain conditions. The trouble is that you are reifying the term "possible father".

Did you notice that your arguments are becoming increasingly far-fetched? So lets dig in: did you notice the essential difference between "generous father" and "possible father"? Let me remember you: the first is either a possibility or an actuality, while the second is expressly a possibility. But you have problems with possibilities, since for you they are not real, right? So for you anyone that takes a possibility seriously is "reifying" it. That is, if your girlfriend tells you to take precautions before sex, you tell her: baby, you are reifying this possibility...

Oh my! Why am I discussing anything at all with this chap? You think that a possible father is like a tall father. Let me just point out one difference. A possible father need not be a father. But a tall father need be a father. Therefore, no possible fathers are fathers. QED.

Then answer me, chap: what a possible father is? Nothing? So there is no possible father, only actual fathers, that's what you would say. The guy was born a father. The world is a series of actualities, right?

The problem is that, in the real world, an actual father must have become a father at some point in the past, right? So he must have been a non-actually possible father once, otherwise he could never have become an actual father, don't you agree? So at some point he was a possible father without yet being an actual one, otherwise he would never have become an actual father to begin with: he, precisely, couldn't have become an actual father without being first a (non-actually) possible father. And you are right: a possible father does not exist in the same way an actual father does - either one exists in its own way.

And in which way does the possible father exist? I hope it is a happy way. Remember, is existence is pretty chancy, and if he gets horny, well, he will not longer we just a possible father, he will be an actual father. And where will the possible father be then? Nowhere! By the way, there is a census count of all the fathers in the United States. But have you noticed that there is no count of all the possible fathers in the US. I think that verges on discrimination. And then, I keep wondering how many possible fat fathers there are. Are there more possible fat fathers than there are possible thin fathers? And suppose that two possible fat fathers try to squeeze into a small room; it is easier for them to do that then it is for two fathers? And finally, the question all of us have been waiting for: how many possible fathers does it take to change a light bulb?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 02:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kenneth, Who in the world inculcated all those negative ideas on you? Do you check under your bed every night before going to bed?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 02:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

kenneth, Who in the world inculcated all those negative ideas on you? Do you check under your bed every night before going to bed?

Which negative ideas are these? Are you o.k.? Lots of beer?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 03:18 pm
@kennethamy,
If you are blind to them, I guess trying to use reason is useless.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 04:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

How would you know if you haven't tried? So far, all I've seen from you are snide remarks. You're not adding anything to this discussion.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 04:37 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

How would you know if you haven't tried? So far, all I've seen from you are snide remarks. You're not adding anything to this discussion.

It makes him very unhappy to be constantly refuted, and so, he lashes out with anything that comes to mind. Which isn't much.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 04:47 pm
@kennethamy,
Refute all you want; just show me evidence where I'm wrong.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 05:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Refute all you want; just show me evidence where I'm wrong.

I'd like to see evidence of where you've said anything that can be evaluated as right or wrong. So far, all I see are peanut gallery comments.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 05:22 pm
@Night Ripper,
Tell that to the folks who say my opinions are wrong.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 05:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Opinions can't be right or wrong because they are subjective statements. That's what makes them opinions. These people would be making a category error.
ughaibu

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
A possible father need not be a father. But a tall father need be a father. Therefore, no possible fathers are fathers. QED.
This syllogism is nonsense, but even if it weren't, what would it have contributed?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:20 pm
@Night Ripper,
You haven't been reading okie or ican's posts.

Further, I have posted on a2k probably over 20,000 posts - many with opinions about science, religion, philosophy, politics, and travel. If you truly believe none are right or wrong, you don't understand the meaning.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
A possible father need not be a father. But a tall father need be a father. Therefore, no possible fathers are fathers. QED.
This syllogism is nonsense, but even if it weren't, what would it have contributed?

You mean you don't understand the syllogism, or you do not like it? What do you mean by calling it nonsense? It's just a syllogism. Nothing evil. Like all argument, this argument contributes its conclusion, and this particular argument, since all its premises are true, and since it is valid, it guarantees the truth of its conclusion. What more would you like it to contribute? Something to your favorite charity? After a long hiatus, you continue your unsupported invective. I thought you might have returned refreshed and mollified.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:27 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Opinions can't be right or wrong because they are subjective statements. That's what makes them opinions. These people would be making a category error.

My doctor, when asked for his opinion as to my condition, diagnosed it as measles. And you know, he was right. So that is an example of an opinion that was right. Another day, I asked my friend whether he thought that Zelda loved me, and he replied, "Well, it's only my opinion, but yes, I think she does." And, you know, I hope he is right, and not wrong. I don't know whether he is right or wrong, but I know he is either right or wrong.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:29 pm
@kennethamy,
Night Ripper doesn't understand the simple understanding of what an opinion is, and he's trying to tell me everything I say isn't right or wrong.

Does Night Ripper know that medicine is just as much an art as it is science? That economics is art, and not science? All those doctors and expert economists could never be wrong, because they are just subjective statements.

I bet he failed in logic.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Night Ripper doesn't understand the simple understanding of what an opinion is, and he's trying to tell me everything I say isn't right or wrong.

Is that your opinion of what he is saying? (How do you understand an understanding)?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Does Night Ripper know that medicine is just as much an art as it is science? That economics is art, and not science? All those doctors and expert economics could never be wrong, because they are just subjective statements.

If a doctor expresses his opinion that his patient has diabetes, is that a subjective statement? Suppose the patient tests negative for diabetes. Was his opinion right or wrong?
0 Replies