The necessary truth of any truth

Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:46 am
guigus wrote:
There is yet another way in which "my father is my father" can be regarded as contingent, which is by (still improperly) meaning "James is my father." However, the proper meaning of "my father is my father" is either:

1. Whoever is my father is whoever is my father.
2. James is James.

None of which is contingent.

"Bats have wings" is a contingent truth. Do you agree?

If so, end of discussion. Right?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:35 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:
There is yet another way in which "my father is my father" can be regarded as contingent, which is by (still improperly) meaning "James is my father." However, the proper meaning of "my father is my father" is either:

2. James is James.

Not unless he knows the distinction between necessary and contingent truths. And, even if he does, he will just "argue" that since the proposition that bats have wings cannot be true unless bats have wings, that bats have wings is a necessary truth. And the agony will go on.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:44 am
@kennethamy,
He makes some sort of distinction between "now actual" and "once possible" truths.

guigus wrote:
Finally, can't you see the difference between "all truths are true by necessity" and "all truths have become true by necessity"? In the first case, the expression "all truths" refers to actual truths (are true), while in the second case that expression refers to possible truths (have become true).

I don't see how this is relevant to discussion at hand, though. All that needs to be acknowledged is that all truths are not necessary. And I think he knows the difference between contingent and necessary truths, since he has used the terms in some of his posts.

ACB wrote:
But "father candidate" is just as vague as "possible father". Until we are clear about what father candidates are and what they're not, we can't make any meaningful statements about them.

And whatever possible fathers or father candidates are, we should not use the plain term "father" as a shorthand way of referring to them (as in "My father has not necessarily become my father"), as this causes unnecessary confusion.

Wait, and what is your issue here?
Night Ripper

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:23 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:
And can't you really see that "all truths are necessarily true" means not that all truths have become true by necessity, but rather that the very being of all truths necessarily consists in their being true?

So then you agree that some truths are contingently true? Good.

We've already said that necessarily all truths are true which is not the same as all truths being necessarily true since some are contingently true. So if that's all you've been saying then it's a trivial observation and this has been a colossal waste of time.
ACB

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:55 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Two things. Firstly, I have no idea what "possible father" (or "father candidate") means. Can we have a non-circular definition, please?

Secondly, statements such as "my father is not necessarily my father" or "my father has not necessarily become my father" commit the fallacy of equivocation, since (as I have explained) they use the term "my father" in two different senses.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:03 am
@Night Ripper,
Yes, it would be a shame if all of his writing boiled down to just, "necessarily, all truths are true", while we thought he meant, "all truths are necessarily true".
kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:17 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Yes, it would be a shame if all of his writing boiled down to just, "necessarily, all truths are true", while we thought he meant, "all truths are necessarily true".

Has he any other argument?
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:02 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

guigus wrote:
Just replace "possible father" by "father candidate." I hope this helps you.

But "father candidate" is just as vague as "possible father". Until we are clear about what father candidates are and what they're not, we can't make any meaningful statements about them.

And whatever possible fathers or father candidates are, we should not use the plain term "father" as a shorthand way of referring to them (as in "My father has not necessarily become my father"), as this causes unnecessary confusion.

It is you that are causing unnecessary confusion: just notice that in the sentence "my father is not necessarily my father" there is no possible way for the first "my father" to mean exactly the same thing as the second one. If the second "my father" is your actual father, then the first must be something else, whether you call it "possible," or "candidate," or whatever you like.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:03 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:

2. James is James.

Is "bats have wings" and instance of the principle of identity? How is that?
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:04 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:

2. James is James.

Not unless he knows the distinction between necessary and contingent truths. And, even if he does, he will just "argue" that since the proposition that bats have wings cannot be true unless bats have wings, that bats have wings is a necessary truth. And the agony will go on.

Only someone with a total misunderstanding about what I am saying would possibly believe that I would say something like that.
guigus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:12 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

guigus wrote:
And can't you really see that "all truths are necessarily true" means not that all truths have become true by necessity, but rather that the very being of all truths necessarily consists in their being true?

So then you agree that some truths are contingently true? Good.

We've already said that necessarily all truths are true which is not the same as all truths being necessarily true since some are contingently true. So if that's all you've been saying then it's a trivial observation and this has been a colossal waste of time.

Fortunately you noticed what a waste of time this discussion is. However, we have a pending issue here. You misused the present tense of the verb to be by saying "my father is not necessarily my father," which would more appropriately read "my father has not necessarily become my father," since your father being whoever he is is necessary, according to the principle of identity, "A is A." And although you may believe so, this is not "a trivial observation": you insistence in "my father is not necessarily my father" being an instance of "A is A" just shows that "A is A" is neither trivial nor a tautology, as another one have said. A tautology is a definition that uses whatever it defines to define it. "A is A" is no definition, it is the recognition that anything must be identical to itself, whatever it is. In fact, it is only that recognition that makes tautologies possible in the first place.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:13 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

The two sentences have identical meaning. What you thought is that I was saying that "all truths are necessary," which is more a misreading than a misunderstanding.
guigus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:34 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

Two things. Firstly, I have no idea what "possible father" (or "father candidate") means. Can we have a non-circular definition, please?

Secondly, statements such as "my father is not necessarily my father" or "my father has not necessarily become my father" commit the fallacy of equivocation, since (as I have explained) they use the term "my father" in two different senses.

Did you ever have sex with a woman? (Or, if you are a woman, with a man?) Did you take precautions? What reason would you have to take them, besides disease prevention? Wouldn't it be that having sex with a woman puts you the position of being a possible father? (Or, if you are a woman, a "possible mother"?) Or you still don't know what I am talking about?
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:44 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:
The two sentences have identical meaning.

No, they don't.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:20 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

ACB wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

Did you ever have sex with a woman? (Or, if you are a woman, with a man?) Did you take precautions? What reason would you have to take them, besides disease prevention? Wouldn't it be that having sex with a woman puts you the position of being a possible father? (Or, if you are a woman, a "possible mother"?) Or you still don't know what I am talking about?

Possible fathers are not a particular kind of father as is generous father or reluctant father. "Possible fathers" are just males who might become fathers under certain conditions. The trouble is that you are reifying the term "possible father".
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:23 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:

2. James is James.

Only someone with a total misunderstanding about what I am saying would possibly believe that I would say something like that.

It follows that you have a total misunderstanding of what you are saying, which seems to me highly plausible.

And here is the proof:

Zethwrote:
And guigus replied:
The two sentences have identical meaning. What you thought is that I was saying that "all truths are necessary," which is more a misreading than a misunderstanding.
guigus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

ACB wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

Possible fathers are not a particular kind of father as is generous father or reluctant father. "Possible fathers" are just males who might become fathers under certain conditions. The trouble is that you are reifying the term "possible father".

Did you notice that your arguments are becoming increasingly far-fetched? So lets dig in: did you notice the essential difference between "generous father" and "possible father"? Let me remember you: the first is either a possibility or an actuality, while the second is expressly a possibility. But you have problems with possibilities, since for you they are not real, right? So for you anyone that takes a possibility seriously is "reifying" it. That is, if your girlfriend tells you to take precautions before sex, you tell her: baby, you are reifying this possibility...
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:19 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

ACB wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

Did you notice that your arguments are becoming increasingly far-fetched? So lets dig in: did you notice the essential difference between "generous father" and "possible father"? Let me remember you: the first is either a possibility or an actuality, while the second is expressly a possibility. But you have problems with possibilities, since for you they are not real, right? So for you anyone that takes a possibility seriously is "reifying" it. That is, if your girlfriend tells you to take precautions before sex, you tell her: baby, you are reifying this possibility...

Oh my! Why am I discussing anything at all with this chap? You think that a possible father is like a tall father. Let me just point out one difference. A possible father need not be a father. But a tall father need be a father. Therefore, no possible fathers are fathers. QED.
guigus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:

2. James is James.

It follows that you have a total misunderstanding of what you are saying, which seems to me highly plausible.

And here is the proof:

Zethwrote:
And guigus replied:

Sorry, but I didn't quite understand how this can be a proof of my being wrong, so let me clarify, since you certainly understood something else. I said that:

1. The statement "necessarily, all truths are true" and "all truths are necessarily true" have identical meanings (at least for me), the same way "it must be that A is A" and "A must be A" have identical meanings.
2. The meaning you ascribe to "all truths are necessarily true" reads correctly as "all truths are necessary."
3. What I mean is "necessarily, all truths are true" or "all truths are necessarily true," which are the same to me, and not "all truths are necessary," which would be a form of determinism.

That's what I said, although you misunderstood it in some way.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:23 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

guigus wrote:

2. James is James.

And here is the proof:

Zethwrote:
And guigus replied:

Sorry, but I didn't quite understand how this can be a proof of my being wrong, so let me clarify, since you certainly understood something else. I said that:

1. The statement "necessarily, all truths are true" and "all truths are necessarily true" have identical meanings (at least for me), the same way "it must be that A is A" and "A must be A" have identical meanings.
2. The meaning you ascribe to "all truths are necessarily true" reads correctly as "all truths are necessary."
3. What I mean is "necessarily, all truths are true" or "all truths are necessarily true," which are the same to me, and not "all truths are necessary," which would be a form of determinism.

That's what I said, although you misunderstood it in some way.

Suppose I say that "soft-boiled egg" and "hard boiled egg" have identical meanings, at least for me. How would that mean that "soft-boiled egg" and "hard boiled egg" have identical meanings?
0 Replies