William

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 02:40 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,595 • Replies: 15

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:27 am
So why do you think ANY topic has 'priority' on the menu?

Get in alphabetical order, like the rest of us.
Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:37 am
@sullyfish6,
what william was trying to say is that on the philo forum we knew that anyone showing up there had philosophy as their main goal, where as here it has been diluted. Not everyone here is for philosophy and some that are will struggle to find the discussions they were privy to over on the other forum. So he feels that the philosophical discussions will now take a back seat to other topics which makes all the philosophers lost and scattered once again.
William

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:13 am
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:

So why do you think ANY topic has 'priority' on the menu?
Get in alphabetical order, like the rest of us.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:18 am
@William,
Quote:
so it's difficult know what Robert's intentions are and his reasoning.

Per RG, it wasn't by choice - there were serious issues that had to be addressed immediately.

Cycloptichorn
William

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:39 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
so it's difficult know what Robert's intentions are and his reasoning.

Per RG, it wasn't by choice - there were serious issues that had to be addressed immediately.

Cycloptichorn

Thanks,

William
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:52 am
@William,
Robert explains on this thread -

http://able2know.org/topic/145673-1
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:55 pm
@Krumple,
Philosophy is a state of mind. Science was originally 'natural philosophy' and it became a full fledged discipline because it was firmly based in observed data and principles of logic whereas philosophy tended to be more ephemeral not being tied to the physical world but just operating in the realm of thoughts and floating ideas and principles. Rumors, gossips and speculation would fit in philosophy as it operates on ideas however, beacause of the lack of logic, proper principles and minimal data they are just water cooler material. From one idea or thought you could develop innumerable thoughts and ideas which are not being tied to anything. The only thing giving it credence would be logic and some operating principle. Therefore those who are not specifically philosophical in nature do have a point of view which may be valid though narrowly focussed as it would be based on personal experience, knowledge of the sciences and engineering which are based on data and logic.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:10 pm
i likes me some philosophizing now and again

just the other day i was contemplating, is you is, or is you ain't my baby

anybody have any thoughts
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:38 pm
@William,
Where philosophy could really help is to classify and group ideas and thoughts. For example, Adam Smith the great economist who wrote the Wealth of Nations, came up with the ideas of specialization of labor and free market whereby suppliers and buyers could determine the true price of any good using the supply and demand curves. Based on this concept he advocated a laissez faire system where the market determines everything. The specialization of labor does wonders for production but it also means regulation i.e. a tradesman or professional needs certification. Certification is regulation. Otherwise you could end up with hack jobs, fly-by-night abortions, scammers, snake oil salesmen, etc. dominating the market. So there is a contradiction of 'free market' with no regulation and 'specialization of labor'. The unregulated environment that GWB created resulted in the Financial Meltdown where Wall Street sharks defrauded other banks and stockholders. Regulation is needed in a free market.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:14 pm
O' Babylon dragging the righteous into the philosophical diaspora, will there ever be a gathering?

That was a summation for drama's sake
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:25 pm
@William,
The start page shows a sub category "philosophy" and when you click on it,
all topics tagged as "philosophy" will show. You can create your own niche
there and only deal with subjects related to philosophy.

Certainly you might get some input from the regulars here on a2k,
but it will be subject related and on topic. Therefore, I would not call it
"dilution" it's more of an expansion.
William

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:57 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:
Where philosophy could really help is to classify and group ideas and thoughts. For example, Adam Smith the great economist who wrote the Wealth of Nations, came up with the ideas of specialization of labor and free market whereby suppliers and buyers could determine the true price of any good using the supply and demand curves.
talk72000 wrote:
Based on this concept he advocated a laissez faire system where the market determines everything.

This is a guess but I doubt that one in 10 million humans that reside on this planet have even heard that term, much less know what it means.

The following from Answers.com:

Quote:
salima

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
i am not sure i found any start page...is that like a home page? where is it?
sorry if i sound incredibly stupid, i am only believably stupid....
William

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:18 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:

i am not sure i found any start page...is that like a home page? where is it?
sorry if i sound incredibly stupid, i am only believably stupid....

Hello, Salima, look at the very bottom of this page. There you will find the "Home Page".
William
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:31 pm
@William,
It is best to illustrate economics with math. demand is really what people want to buy. Here is an illustration of a demand curve.

http://www.netmba.com/images/econ/micro/demand/curve/demandcurve.gif
http://www.netmba.com/econ/micro/demand/curve/

A supply and demand curve where the price is determined by the market.

http://ingrimayne.com/econ/DemandSupply/Figure4.5.gif
http://ingrimayne.com/econ/DemandSupply/SupEtDemand.html

You are mixing up arbitrary rules and regulations with proper regulation.
Imagine there were no universities. There would be no degrees or certification that one has graduated from college or has a philosophy degree. Without certificates anyone could call oneself a philosopher or a doctor. Would you go to a person who hangs out a shingle that declares he/she is a medical doctor without proof or one who is certified as a doctor by the proper authorities. The arguments against regulations are wrong and deliberately done by business interests who use red herrings such as arbitrary or even archaic rules being identified as regulation. For example, there has to be minimum rules for traffic control or there is chaos. Rules are a reality of life when we live in a society. We must compromise so all the most important rights are maintained. Living in a society provides us safety and various other needs. If one feels the rules are not for him/her it could lead that person to becoming a hermit.
0 Replies