It seems quieter in here...

Reyn

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:18 pm
Have the new folks left? I haven't seen some of the new faces posting here for the last few days.

Or, am I just half asleep?

George

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:19 pm
Maybe they're going the way of the Droidoids.
Reyn

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:42 pm
@George,
Okay, so others have noticed?
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:48 pm
@Reyn,
perhaps some are just taking a breather ... and regrouping ... does it remind you of afghanistan Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:52 pm
@Reyn,
I have. There was a flurry of activity while the Phil-Phorum-Pholk tried to
get the hang of the place and vented their frustrations. Then a lot of
them started up their philosophy discussions. Now it seems to have tapered
off. I wonder if it's just settling in to their normal level of activity. I've
noticed some who seem to be branching out to other parts of A2K. A good
sign?
tycoon

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:58 pm
Last I saw they were contemplating the "I Think, Therefore I'm Not" thread. I think they reached a conclusion, and they disappeared in a puff of smoke.
George

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:01 pm
@tycoon,
Philosophy ain't for the faint of heart.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
@Reyn,
I think all the "We're Not in Kansas Anymore" threads have stopped and that makes it feel like less is happening. If you go to the home page and click on Philosophy you will see there is action. I too noticed some have migrated out their field of focus and into the vortex of A2k.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:00 pm
@Reyn,
A few of them got the full force of the meat grinder welcome in some contentious threads and are probably licking their wounds before trying again.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:12 pm
@Green Witch,
I'm still in Kansas...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:17 pm
@George,
I like the branchers out as a group, including the ones I disagree-in-part- or-entirely with.

As Robert predicted, some of us early a2kers are now going ahead and thumbing down threads we know we don't want to read, not worrying about if the thread poster will be crushed and humiliated - just as usual, as we did before (although lots of people ignore thumbs too, and some were probably doing that already). Thus, some philos may feel bashed.

On the other hand, I am not thumbing down philo threads I think I will learn a lot from - those who mention certain philosophers, or subjects like materialism and epistemology. (Well, I did one that mentioned Kierkegaard, but just thumbed it up again. Not that that matters.)

0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, I think some of them are realizing that the more vague and esoteric threads are not without peril in a place like this, perhaps requiring thicker skin than might have been necessary on the old philosophy forum.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:21 pm
@Reyn,
Oh come on, this navel-gazing thing is so last week!

(we have a new forum joining us in a few days)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
<thud>
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:30 pm
I was a regular in a chatroom about a decade ago. I still have friends I keep in contact with. I'm even learning guitar with one of them. It was something about the chemistry of the people there that clicked. Then all of the sudden this and that happened it was no longer the same chat room. People left, people were chased, new people came in en mass changing a dynamic. I have yet to find another chat room in which I feel comfortable. With a lot of people that's what that old PF forum was, place where they had chemistry with people. I bet a good number of them will likely not bother finding a new forum. That's what all the moaning was about, adjust or leave some adjusted and are still doing so some left. As far as Philosophy goes. There are very bright people here, some with whom I agree Some with whom I don't. they make for a good thread. Yeah a whole bunch left probably never to return, but its no big deal, we all leave never to retuen at some point.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

time to go on vacation ... ...
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:34 pm
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

Quote:

time to go on vacation ... ...

I don't think that's the answer...seems like every time I go away I return to major changes. Maybe I should just stay home! (We leave again tomorrow -- see what I mean?)
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
It's a smaller, currently-dead forum, not gonna be the same drama, we'll archive their content, redirect and invite them if they want but like the droid forum it's not an active one that we are importing. Have a look at your own risk (it's hacked, needs some cleanup and moderation after going untended, and is currently serving up malicious javascript, so don't visit with an insecure browser):

conflictingviews dot com
ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
( i may just take a peek - after rehearsal tonight )

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I couldn't figure what the thud was about until I looked back and saw Robert had added the new forum news.

<Grins, blinks...>

0 Replies