An electron is a posit?

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:50 pm
@fast,
Reconstructo wrote:
Most of us will agree, I think, that we do not experience objects directly

This is the part of the matter I still cannot comprehend.

What is "experience objects directly", in contrast with how I experience objects in every day life? Someone else said it another way - "the object in itself", or something like that. What does that mean, and why do you not think I am experiencing the object directly, or "in itself"?
Emil

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;128271 wrote:

What is "experience objects directly", in contrast with how I experience objects in every day life? Someone else said it another way - "the object in itself", or something like that. What does that mean, and why do you not think I am experiencing the object directly, or "in itself"?

I think you should give this a reading.

The Problems of Philosophy - Bertrand Russell, Chapter 1.
Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:01 pm
@Emil,
Emil;128275 wrote:
I think you should give this a reading.

The Problems of Philosophy - Bertrand Russell, Chapter 1.

Any particular section you have in mind?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:07 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;128271 wrote:

We do not experience electrons directly, in that we know they exist inferentially, through their "traces". Some philosophers believe the same is true of ordinary material objects like chairs and tables. There are various arguments for that view. Famous among these is the "argument from illusion", the "time-lag argument", and various arguments from the physiology of perception, are also used. A good antidote for some of these arguments (especially the first) is, Sense and Sensibilia, by J.L. Austin. Wittgenstein's famous (or notorious) private language argument (from his Investigations) is a general swipe at the general notion that what we "really" observe are private objects like sense-data, and the like, from which we infer public objects.
Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128280 wrote:
We do not experience electrons directly, in that we know they exist inferentially, through their "traces". Some philosophers believe the same is true of ordinary material objects like chairs and tables. There are various arguments for that view. Famous among these is the "argument from illusion", the "time-lag argument", and various arguments from the physiology of perception, are also used. A good antidote for some of these arguments (especially the first) is, Sense and Sensibilia, by J.L. Austin. Wittgenstein's famous (or notorious) private language argument (from his Investigations) is a general swipe at the general notion that what we "really" observe are private objects like sense-data, and the like, from which we infer public objects.

Well, my initial response is that I don't agree with the notion that we don't experience chairs directly.

But I'll keep an open mind, and attempt to see where Reconstructo and these philosophers are coming from. I know of the time-lag argument and the private language argument. I'll look at the others you mention. And the one Emil showed me.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:19 pm
@fast,
But I think the arguments as to whether electrons exist, in particular, is quite a different class of argument to the philosophical argument as to whether 'we experience anything directly' and should not be subjected to the same critique.

There are specific problems suggested by quantum physics, notobaly, the 'double-slit' experiments which demonstrate that electrons exhibit both particle and wave characteristics, which defies any common sense notion of physical ontology.

Then there are the associated problems created by Bell's experiments showing the non-locality of quantum relations, of the type that caused Einstein to exclaim that he refused to accept spooky-action-at-a-distance.

In both these cases, the model of quantum mechanics seems to contradict the idea that electrons and photons can be thought of as 'points' or 'particles'.

Hence the question in the OP - to what extent can electrons be said to exist?

The question can be taken also as question about the definition of the word 'exist' in relation to sub-atomic particles.

And as much of materialist ontology is posited, consciously or othewise, on some species of atomism, or ultimately existing point-particles, this raises a general question about ontology.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;128281 wrote:
Well, my initial response is that I don't agree with any of that.

But I'll keep an open mind, and attempt to see where Reconstructo and these philosophers are coming from. I know of the time-lag argument and the private language argument. I'll look at the others you mention.

I would say that our discussion touches as much on linguistic problems as anything else. The "object-in-itself" is the human-created concept of the object as it independently of human perception.

Our experience of color is the brain's translation of light-waves, as I'm sure you know. Sound is a translation of pressure waves in the air. Qualia are mysterious. Where do qualia fit in to objective science? And yet qualia make objective science possible in the first place. Language makes possible conceptions such as force, matter, electrons, and the scientific method itself in the first place. If we consider anything less than the totality, we are considering a fragment of this totality which is yanked out (ab-stracted). The scientist tends to forget that he himself is not only physically a part of nature but apparently the generator of quality by which he becomes conscious of nature in the first place. The concrete real (totality) is revealed by discourse over time. To understand the concrete real, one must take human history into account. Of course the invention of technology does not require this. Science has done well with its abstractions, and should be praised for that. But this success of science in the realm of technology seems to corrupt the philosophical conception of the real.

All this is subject to a meaning-as-use caveat.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:31 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;128276 wrote:
Any particular section you have in mind?

It's a fairly short read. You should read the entire chapter or even the book. It is a highly recommended book (though I rather like other books).
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:09 pm
@fast,
"An electron is a posit?"

No.

We know with certainty that electrons exist. Why or how do we know? Because of indirect observations. The more indirect observations with predictions the more likely something is true. I'll give the famous example of what I mean here.

Imagine you are sitting on a chair in a dark room. You can't see anything and you are pinned to the chair and can't free yourself from it. However; you do have a pile of rocks next to you which you can throw to examine the room by using sounds. Every time you toss a rock you are gaining information about things like how far a wall is away form you. What the surface might be like. If there are any other objects in the room. Toss enough rocks and you can get a pretty good idea of what the room looks like even though you have never actually seen it first hand.

This is how we know electrons exist. We are so certain of it, we have designed tools that utilize their existence. We wouldn't even have the television set if it weren't for the discovery of electrons.
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:25 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;128306 wrote:

We know with certainty that electrons exist. Why or how do we know? Because of indirect observations.

I would say that we know well-enough (with sufficient certainty) that our mental-model of "electrons" is useful for the prediction and control of certain aspects of human experience.

But we should keep in mind that the "law" of the conservation of energy is not as true as it once was. We "know now" (find the mental-model more useful) that energy and matter are interchangeable in particular situations -- atomic bombs, nuclear power plants, etc.

It's possible that "nature" is 11-dimensional. We are stuck in this human form of life, with all its perceptual and conceptual limitations. Does a species exist somewhere with a 4-dimensional body and 11 sense organs? Our language can speak the words but our imaginations (assuming human imaginations are more similar than can be proven) cannot "visualize" it.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:50 pm
@fast,
Here is an article that argues that electrons are not particles:

"What's normal about renormalization?"
kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:51 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;128324 wrote:
Here is an article that argues that electrons are not particles:

"What's normal about renormalization?"

But does it argue there are no electrons? That would be relevant to the thread, of course.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:53 pm
@fast,
It argues that electrons don't exist as a particle. It says they are a waveform. I think this amounts to the claim that they don't exist, at least in the familiar way of a small dot whizzing around the nucleus.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:53 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128314 wrote:
I would say that we know well-enough (with sufficient certainty) that our mental-model of "electrons" is useful for the prediction and control of certain aspects of human experience.

And if there were no electrons, then why do you think that would be true? Coincidence?
Amperage

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128325 wrote:
But does it argue there are no electrons? That would be relevant to the thread, of course.
Black box - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

are you familiar with a black box as it pertains to systems?
Quote:
In science and engineering, a black box is a device, system or object which can (and sometimes can only) be viewed solely in terms of its input, output and transfer characteristics without any knowledge of its internal workings
examine this pictures: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f6/Blackbox.svg/320px-Blackbox.svg.png

In the case of this thread, we are calling the black box, "electrons", what we know is about the input and output, not the black box itself
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;128327 wrote:
It argues that electrons don't exist as a particle. It says they are a waveform. I think this amounts to the claim that they don't exist, at least in the familiar way of a small dot whizzing around the nucleus.

Yes it argues that electron are not particles. Not that electrons don't exist.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128328 wrote:
And if there were no electrons, then why do you think that would be true? Coincidence?

Electrons indeed exist, as mental models. To say that "electrons" exist apart from man is sensible in one way and ridiculous in another. The concept of the electron is obviously man-made. That nature conforms in many ways to this concept is obvious, but that does not mean that electrons, as humans understand "them", exist apart from human experience. It's reasonable to expect that the human-independent reality that inspired humans to create the concept of electrons would indeed persist human-independently. But it is also reasonable to think that another intelligence species would invent a different concept, more or less useful for predicting and controlling "nature" (also very much a human concept.)

This is what Kojeve means when he says the concrete real is reveal by human discourse, which requires time and implies history. The totality of current human experience cannot be "logically" contemplated minus the perceiving and interpreting subject.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:51 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;128327 wrote:

The funny thing is, I've never had a problem with electrons not being particles. I figured out long ago that they must be in a different state or arrangement than particles. How did I determine that?

I used photons to come to the conclusion.

If photons are particles then light would have to have an infinite amount of photons to cover space. Think about it.

If a photon is a particle and it travels in straight lines then given enough distance from the source of photons would create areas in which a photon would not cover. However; when we view light over great distances we do not see blank or dark areas where no photons are, but how could this be if photons are particles, it would mean there are an infinite amount of them stacked closely together each streaming just tiny degrees off center so that the light fills up equal proportions over vast distances.

I have proposed long ago that photons are not particles but instead they are bubbles of waves that stretch and spread out in space equally in all directions. Light is like a bubble.

Since I came to this conclusion, it is easy for me to make electrons bubbles too with all the same functionality that they have. It accounts for jumps to higher valence shells. It also accounts for unknown position or known motion. If an electron is as like a bubble then it can also jump across the universe instantly as well as occupy the same two points in spacetime even if those two points are billions of light years from each other. Also if electrons are bubbles, it means that atoms can share electrons which they do sometimes. This is something that a particle would have a difficult time doing. How can two atoms share a particle, which atom does the eletron orbit? How does it know to orbit one and not the other. But if they are bubbles they can encompass both particles simultaneously and it does not need to determine which to follow.
0 Replies

fast

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:14 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;128281 wrote:
Well, my initial response is that I don't agree with the notion that we don't experience chairs directly.

But I'll keep an open mind, and attempt to see where Reconstructo and these philosophers are coming from. I know of the time-lag argument and the private language argument. I'll look at the others you mention. And the one Emil showed me.

I am confident that we are able to directly observe things. If I look into a mirror and see the reflection of a man pulling the trigger of a gun, then I did not directly observe (but rather indirectly observed) a man pulling the trigger of a gun, but if I look at the man as he pulls the trigger of a gun, then it's not false when I say "yes" to the question when he asks if I directly observed the man pull the gun's trigger.
Scottydamion

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:57 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;128327 wrote:

In a sense, yes. You should look up Pauli's exclusion principle and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. Electrons act the same as photons (and all matter) in the sense that they both have particle-wave duality. They can act as either a particle or a wave. One reason there is a distinction is that each is a discrete "packet" of energy, and that is a property of particles.

That is said with my current understanding of the subject (I was studying to be a physics major), but there are interpretations that would say the idea of a particle is only there because of our limitations as observers.

---------- Post added 02-15-2010 at 09:04 AM ----------

Krumple;128354 wrote:
The funny thing is, I've never had a problem with electrons not being particles. I figured out long ago that they must be in a different state or arrangement than particles. How did I determine that?

I used photons to come to the conclusion.

If photons are particles then light would have to have an infinite amount of photons to cover space. Think about it.

If a photon is a particle and it travels in straight lines then given enough distance from the source of photons would create areas in which a photon would not cover. However; when we view light over great distances we do not see blank or dark areas where no photons are, but how could this be if photons are particles, it would mean there are an infinite amount of them stacked closely together each streaming just tiny degrees off center so that the light fills up equal proportions over vast distances.

I have proposed long ago that photons are not particles but instead they are bubbles of waves that stretch and spread out in space equally in all directions. Light is like a bubble.

Since I came to this conclusion, it is easy for me to make electrons bubbles too with all the same functionality that they have. It accounts for jumps to higher valence shells. It also accounts for unknown position or known motion. If an electron is as like a bubble then it can also jump across the universe instantly as well as occupy the same two points in spacetime even if those two points are billions of light years from each other. Also if electrons are bubbles, it means that atoms can share electrons which they do sometimes. This is something that a particle would have a difficult time doing. How can two atoms share a particle, which atom does the eletron orbit? How does it know to orbit one and not the other. But if they are bubbles they can encompass both particles simultaneously and it does not need to determine which to follow.

What happens when you cause one photon or electron to be emmited at a time? Does it spread out in all directions? Or does it hit the detector on the other side of the room?

You should look up the "double-split experiment". It will close the gaps in your reasoning.