An electron is a posit?

fast

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:55 pm
What is the ontological, metaphysical, and epistemic status of an electron? I don't know if that question makes sense or if even only a part of it makes sense, but if any of it makes sense, I'd like to know 1) what I'm asking and 2) the answer to what I'm asking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,142 • Replies: 372
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:00 pm
@fast,
fast;127627 wrote:
What is the ontological, metaphysical, and epistemic status of an electron? I don't know if that question makes sense or if even only a part of it makes sense, but if any of it makes sense, I'd like to know 1) what I'm asking and 2) the answer to what I'm asking.

It is a posit in the sense it is posited to explain what we observe. But that's all right. To quote Quine, "to posit is not to patronize". Electrons exist. And, "exist" is univocal. I think you are asking whether electrons "really"exist. Let me quell your anxiety. They do.
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127630 wrote:
It is a posit in the sense it is posited to explain what we observe. But that's all right. To quote Quine, "to posit is not to patronize". Electrons exist. And, "exist" is univocal. I think you are asking whether electrons "really"exist. Let me quell your anxiety. They do.

Sure, as a useful mental-model. :sarcastic:
fast

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127630 wrote:
They have properties, so of course they exist. For example, they have mass.
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:09 pm
@fast,
fast;127636 wrote:

I agree in the usual sense of the word that they exist.

But as far as our experience of them goes, they are made out of words and numbers.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:10 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127635 wrote:
Sure, as a useful mental-model. :sarcastic:

Huh? Chairs exist, and electrons exist. But neither are mental models, useful or not. (But, what the hell is a mental model, anyway)?
0 Replies

fast

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:10 pm
@fast,
Would I be mistaken to characterize an electron as a theoretical entity? I ask because I'm not sure the implications of an entity being theoretical. I guess some theoretical entites exist while some do not, so to say an entity that it's theoretical isn't to say it doesn't exist.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:11 pm
@fast,
fast;127636 wrote:

Yes. So was that what you were asking? If not, then what?

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 05:14 PM ----------

Reconstructo;127638 wrote:

But as far as our experience of them goes, they are made out of words and numbers.

They are? You mean we can't see them? But their effect can be observed on graphs. For a long time, we could not see germs or microbes either. But they were not made of words and numbers.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:18 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127638 wrote:

What other sense of the word are you using? Electrons exist in the same sense that elephants do. That we cannot see the former with the naked eye does not mean that the former doesn't exist, or that the former exists in a different sense. It exists in the same sense, we just can't see it with the naked eye.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127630 wrote:

And neutrinos , or dark matter ?
The question is they exist as what ? A pink elephant ?
Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:23 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;127650 wrote:

What? Neutrinos exist in the same way that anything else that exists does. And the same will be said of dark matter if it is proven to exist.

What are you guys talking about? Why is it so hard to grasp that things can exist even though we may not be able to perceive them without instrumentation?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;127650 wrote:

Everything exists "as the same thing". To say that giraffes exist as animals is just to say that giraffes are animals. And to say that neutrinos exist as posits, is only to say that neutrinos are posits.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;127653 wrote:
What? Neutrinos exist in the same way that anything else that exists does. And the same will be said of dark matter if it is proven to exist.

What are you guys talking about? Why is it so hard to grasp that things can exist even though we may not be able to perceive them without instrumentation?
fast

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:28 pm
@kennethamy,

[QUOTE=kennethamy;127630]It is a posit in the sense it is posited to explain what we observe.[/QUOTE]Is a chair a posit? I thought an electron is a posit whereas a chair isn't a posit.

I thought we posit that electrons exist to explain what we observe when we can't detect what's causing what we observe. We don't posit that batteries are in our flashlight to explain the light that shines from our flashlight since we do not need to rely on the light to determine that batteries are in our flashlight. We can open the flashlight up and see for ourselves.

We don't posit (or at least I didn't think we did) that chairs exist to explain why people don't fall when they sit, for we can directly observe (either visually or through instrumentation) that chairs exist.

I have this notion that there is something to be said about the things we call posits that cannot be said about things that are not posits, and that's what eludes me. Despite the fact we know posits exist, there seems to be more room for doubt than it is for things that are not posits.
Amperage

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
@fast,
electrons are just "our" model for what exists. Just a simplistic way of explaining something. Our model(electrons) says nothing about what is "actual", but only help to explain how "the actual" behaves.

In the same way that we used to have models that explained how the planets moved in circles around the earth before we figured out it was the earth that was moving around the sun. The models served their purpose and were accurate enough....but the model didn't serve to examine reality...only explain how what was being perceived was behaving
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;127657 wrote:

Oh, maybe they are. From the wiki I got the impression they were proven to exist:

Neutrino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But what conditions do you mean? What are the different 'conditions' in which something can exist?

Amperage wrote:
electrons are just "our" model for what exists. Just a simplistic way of explaining something. Our model(electrons) say nothing about the actual, but only help to explain how the actual behaves.

You've got to be kidding me. Of course electrons say something about the actual, otherwise scientists wouldn't be concerned with them! Or are scientists concerned with the imaginary?

You are aware that there are subatomic particles that exist called electrons, right? Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.
Amperage

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:34 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;127661 wrote:
You've got to be kidding me. Of course electrons say something about the actual, otherwise scientists wouldn't be concerned with them! Or are scientists concerned with the imaginary?

You are aware that there are subatomic particles that exist called electrons, right? We have a model of them, but a model is not the thing it is a model of.
Ask any scientist if they've ever directly observed an electron....the answer is no. Electrons are just a model.

They only explain how the actual behaves....they don't try to explain that, yes, the actual is made up of these tiny things we call electrons. That was point.
fast

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:34 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,

( I thought neutrinos still in the hypothetical realm...)[/QUOTE]
You mean theoretical, right? Hypothetical implies that they don't exist, right? To say of an entity that it's theoretical doesn't have the same implications of what it would be to say of an entity that it's hypothetical, I think.

PS: Oops. I just noticed you said neutrinos. I don't know how much difference it makes though, as I don't know much about 'em.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:36 pm
@fast,
fast;127658 wrote:

Is a chair a posit? I thought an electron is a posit whereas a chair isn't a posit.

I thought we posit that electrons exist to explain what we observe when we can't detect what's causing what we observe. We don't posit that batteries are in our flashlight to explain the light that shines from our flashlight since we do not need to rely on the light to determine that batteries are in our flashlight. We can open the flashlight up and see for ourselves.

We don't posit (or at least I didn't think we did) that chairs exist to explain why people don't fall when they sit, for we can directly observe (either visually or through instrumentation) that chairs exist.

I have this notion that there is something to be said about the things we call posits that cannot be said about things that are not posits, and that's what eludes me. Despite the fact we know posits exist, there seems to be more room for doubt than it is for things that are not posits.

I never said that chairs were posits. I said that just a chairs exist, so to electrons. Of course, posits are different from non-posits. Posits are explanatory entites, Non-posits are not. Posits are unobservables, and non-posits are not. Extraterrestrials, if they exist, would not be posits. I have more doubt that there are extraterrestrials than I do that there are electrons. A lot more doubt. Don't you?
fast

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:38 pm
@Amperage,
[QUOTE=Amperage;127665]Ask any scientist if they've ever directly observed an electron....the answer is no. Electrons are just a model[/QUOTE]I think you're confusing the explanation with what the explanation is an explanation of.

I don't know if scientists have directly observed electrons, but they are apparently able to directly observe their effects through instrumentation.