An electron is a posit?

fast

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:41 am
@fast,
Supposing there are no particles and only waves, does this imply that electrons do not exist, or does it imply that the definition of the word, "electron" needs to be changed? Something exists, whether it be a particle, a wave, or something else, and we are using the word, "electron" to refer to whatever it is that exists, but if there are no particles, and if the word, "electron" includes "particle" as part of its definition, then either it's a referring term that fails to refer thus electrons do not exist, or electrons do exist but the word, "electron" has an inferior definition. I think.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:54 am
@fast,
fast;132841 wrote:
Supposing there are no particles and only waves, does this imply that electrons do not exist, or does it imply that the definition of the word, "electron" needs to be changed? Something exists, whether it be a particle, a wave, or something else, and we are using the word, "electron" to refer to whatever it is that exists, but if there are no particles, and if the word, "electron" includes "particle" as part of its definition, then either it's a referring term that fails to refer thus electrons do not exist, or electrons do exist but the word, "electron" has an inferior definition. I think.

Yes, that's a hard question, and the answer may be indeterminate (which is to say that there is no answer). The answer may have to be a pragmatic one, like the answer to whether a certain body is a planet or not.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:18 pm
@fast,
fast;132841 wrote:

In my opinion, we can't know whether particles or waves exist outside/beneath our conceptions. It seems to me that particles and waves are human concepts which are used because they help us create/apply equations that predict the results of experiments. Both particles and waves are mental models/concepts/abstract objects. It may be that the "underlying reality" they are supposed to describe is similar to particles and waves, but the human mind is stuck/blessed with certain automatic limitations. Our minds seem to be hardwired to divide qualia into "independent objects." If we become aware of this, we can speculate that the reality behind our automatic processing is unknowable in-itself.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:28 pm
@fast,
fast;132841 wrote:

I pretty much agree with what Kennethamy says in response. Have a look for On Physics and Philosophy by Bernard D'espagnet. One of the comments on it from Amazon:

Quote:
This highly credentialed French physicist applies the disciplines of quantum field theory and philosophy to refute assumptions commonly held by scientists, philosophers, and lay people about what is "real," and to sort out such views as are consonant with experimental data.
0 Replies

fast

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:09 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;132927 wrote:
In my opinion, we can't know whether particles or waves exist outside/beneath our conceptions. It seems to me that particles and waves are human concepts which are used because they help us create/apply equations that predict the results of experiments. Both particles and waves are mental models/concepts/abstract objects. It may be that the "underlying reality" they are supposed to describe is similar to particles and waves, but the human mind is stuck/blessed with certain automatic limitations. Our minds seem to be hardwired to divide qualia into "independent objects." If we become aware of this, we can speculate that the reality behind our automatic processing is unknowable in-itself.

Can you tell me what you are referring to when you say "they"? It sounds like you are saying, "It may be that the 'underlying reality' [that particles and waves] are supposed to describe is similar to particles and waves, [...]".
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:44 pm
@fast,
fast;133012 wrote:
Can you tell me what you are referring to when you say "they"? It sounds like you are saying, "It may be that the 'underlying reality' [that particles and waves] are supposed to describe is similar to particles and waves, [...]".

Sure. I mean that they (the concepts of particles and waves) may describe/represent something like themselves...but for us, particles and waves are only our human concepts imposed on an essentially unknowable reality (noumena.) The reason this "underlying reality" is unknowable is because we automatically, whether we want to or not, impose a structure on reality. We can't "see outside" of this structure. Kant attempted to isolate (abstract/conceptualize) this structure. It's "transcendental" because it's prior to experience. It's always already happened. Or so Kant argues and I find him persuasive. (I'm still studying him, so forgive me if I err....)
jeeprs

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 03:50 am
@fast,
and to be fair to Kant, none of this (i.e. QM and relativity) was known when he did his work. The fact that he stands up so well in light of all that has been discovered since is a testimony to his genius.

But think about this: how can 'a particle' and 'a wave' even be compared? A particle is the 'ideal thing'. It is the thing, par excellence. But a wave can hardly be called a thing at all. It is the motion of many smaller things, or the movement of energy through a field of things. So if you concede that an electron is a wave, I reckon it's already game over for the 'exists' argument. (I still reckon electrons phase in and out of existence.)
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:23 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;133054 wrote:
Sure. I mean that they (the concepts of particles and waves) may describe/represent something like themselves...but for us, particles and waves are only our human concepts imposed on an essentially unknowable reality (noumena.) The reason this "underlying reality" is unknowable is because we automatically, whether we want to or not, impose a structure on reality. We can't "see outside" of this structure. Kant attempted to isolate (abstract/conceptualize) this structure. It's "transcendental" because it's prior to experience. It's always already happened. Or so Kant argues and I find him persuasive. (I'm still studying him, so forgive me if I err....)

Is the same true about whether some animal is a cat or a dog? We don't know the underlying reality there either, I suppose.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:27 pm
@fast,
reMinded me of electrons...TLP

Quote:

6.375 Just as the only necessity that exists is logical necessity, so
too the only impossibility that exists is logical impossibility.

6.3751 For example, the simultaneous presence of two colours at the same
place in the visual field is impossible, in fact logically impossible,
since it is ruled out by the logical structure of colour. Let us think
how this contradiction appears in physics: more or less as follows--a
particle cannot have two velocities at the same time; that is to say, it
cannot be in two places at the same time; that is to say, particles that
are in different places at the same time cannot be identical. (It
is clear that the logical product of two elementary propositions can
neither be a tautology nor a contradiction. The statement that a point
in the visual field has two different colours at the same time is a
contradiction.)

---------- Post added 02-28-2010 at 11:29 PM ----------

kennethamy;133181 wrote:
Is the same true about whether some animal is a cat or a dog? We don't know the underlying reality there either, I suppose.

Yes, the same is true. We can have "truer and truer " (more useful and more useful: pragmatism!) descriptions but never, for certain, the "whole truth." We just Kant touch this.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:33 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;133824 wrote:
reMinded me of electrons...TLP

---------- Post added 02-28-2010 at 11:29 PM ----------

Yes, the same is true. We can have "truer and truer " (more useful and more useful: pragmatism!) descriptions but never, for certain, the "whole truth." We just Kant touch this.

I guess then that the only issue is whether there is an underlying reality about cats and dogs that science cannot know about. Somehow, I doubt it.
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133829 wrote:
I guess then that the only issue is whether there is an underlying reality about cats and dogs that science cannot know about. Somehow, I doubt it.

To doubt doubt, in this case, is to embrace gullibility. The "laws" of science are not explanations but mathematical descriptions of tendencies.
Quote:

6.363 The procedure of induction consists in accepting as true the
simplest law that can be reconciled with our experiences.

6.3631 This procedure, however, has no logical justification but only a
psychological one. It is clear that there are no grounds for believing
that the simplest eventuality will in fact be realized.

6.36311 It is an hypothesis that the sun will rise tomorrow: and this
means that we do not know whether it will rise.

6.37 There is no compulsion making one thing happen because another has
happened. The only necessity that exists is logical necessity.

6.371 The whole modern conception of the world is founded on the
illusion that the so-called laws of nature are the explanations of
natural phenomena.

6.372 Thus people today stop at the laws of nature, treating them as
something inviolable, just as God and Fate were treated in past ages.
And in fact both are right and both wrong: though the view of the
ancients is clearer in so far as they have a clear and acknowledged
terminus, while the modern system tries to make it look as if everything
were explained.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 11:02 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;133850 wrote:
To doubt doubt, in this case, is to embrace gullibility. The "laws" of science are not explanations but mathematical descriptions of tendencies.

How about the laws of science? I mean without the quotes around them? I thought that the law of falling bodies explained why bodies fall at a certain rate. Was I misinformed. Like Bogart about spas in the Sahara Desert?
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 11:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133855 wrote:
How about the laws of science? I mean without the quotes around them? I thought that the law of falling bodies explained why bodies fall at a certain rate. Was I misinformed. Like Bogart about spas in the Sahara Desert?

"Law" is a metaphor. Also, induction isn't logically justified, not strictly.
Quote:

Law[4] is a system of rules, usually enforced through a set of institutions.[5] It shapes politics, economics and society in numerous ways and serves as a primary social mediator of relations between people.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 11:17 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;133862 wrote:
"Law" is a metaphor. Also, induction isn't logically justified, not strictly.

Do you think that this comment of yours is relevant to my post? Why? You mean that we now have to embark on the justification of induction? What the hell has that to do with it? And what has "law" is a metaphor (whatever that means) to do with it. Do you think this way in ordinary life? Everything is a mish-mash?
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 11:36 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133871 wrote:
Do you think that this comment of yours is relevant to my post? Why? You mean that we now have to embark on the justification of induction? What the hell has that to do with it? And what has "law" is a metaphor (whatever that means) to do with it. Do you think this way in ordinary life? Everything is a mish-mash?

I'm just trying to make your pragmatism explicit.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:52 pm
@fast,
fast;132841 wrote:

The issue here is that you (and in general many) think that if an electron is a wave, it is not a particle. This is wrong: it simply isn't (necessarily) a point-particle. More generally in particle physics, a particle is a fundamental, non-divisible unit, irrespective of its spatial distribution. An electron is such a particle with characteristic charge, rest mass and spin: these are what define an electron. The fact that you can't cut an electron into two is what makes it a fundamental particle.

In response to the first post, an electron is a unit of charge, mass and spin that is observed in many experiments. The change of each in an ionised atom, or in inverse photoemission, the quantum of conductance, the photoelectric effect, etc, etc. That's about as direct as measurement of electrons gets, but is sufficient to assert their existence.

We can say more about electrons, e.g. about their density and their wavefunction. The former is indirectly observed, the latter cannot be observed but is great at predicting results of experiments. So ways of talking about electrons get ontologically less concrete the more you try to say.

Bones
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 02:57 pm
@fast,
An electron is not an object it is a fundamental mathematical equation
kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:59 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;134188 wrote:

So, before anyone had a mathematical equation that described the electron (say in the Middle Ages) there were no electrons?
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;134198 wrote:
So, before anyone had a mathematical equation that described the electron (say in the Middle Ages) there were no electrons?

OK please give an exact description of an electron, its shape, size location and density
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:43 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O!;134172 wrote:
The fact that you can't cut an electron into two is what makes it a fundamental particle.

I hope you don't mind my jumping in. It seems to me that all human concepts are quantifications, unities, essence. So we can't help but to particularize experience.....What do you think?

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 10:44 PM ----------

Alan McDougall;134188 wrote:

I generally agree that an electron is not an object in the every-day sense but a sort of abstract object, largely made of equations. A unity of unifications.....
0 Replies