An electron is a posit?

fast

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:16 pm
@Scottydamion,
[QUOTE=Scottydamion;132515]If I rephrased it "particles and waves being abstractions" would you still have a problem? I may have incorrectly used abstraction and concept somewhat interchangeably.[/QUOTE]Yes.

"My cat" is a term that refers to my cat. My cat is not an abstraction.
"My concept of my cat" is a term that refers to my concept of my cat.
My cat and my concept of my cat are not the same thing. One purrs; the other doesn't

"Particles" is a term that refers, and it neither refers to something that is abstract nor does it refer to something that is conceptual.

"My concept of particles" is a term that refers, and it refers to something that is not physical.

Particles and my concept of particles are not the same thing. One can be measured; the other can't.

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 05:22 PM ----------

Scottydamion;132520 wrote:
But that is the whole point. What is a particle? Some point out in space? The entire idea of a particle is being put under question by quantum mechanics. The term "particle" is proving inadequate at even the atomic level! Look up wave-particle duality and the double slit experiment if you want to better understand where I'm coming from.

Does quantum mechanics teach us that particles do not exist?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:32 pm
@fast,
fast;132521 wrote:
Yes.

My cat and my concept of my cat are not the same thing. One purrs; the other doesn't

"Particles" is a term that refers, and it neither refers to something that is abstract nor does it refer to something that is conceptual.

"My concept of particles" is a term that refers, and it refers to something that is not physical.

Particles and my concept of particles are not the same thing. One can be measured; the other can't.

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 05:22 PM ----------

If only people would distinguish between words and things, that might be such a good start that the momentum would carry them forward to further clarification, and the confusion that now prevails could be eventually cleared up. But that first step, the distinction between the word and the thing is somehow so daunting, that it doesn't seem to happen. (The next step might be to distinguish between concepts and what they are concepts of. Wouldn't that be great?) It is interesting, and significant, that the hero of many of those who fail to make the distinctions is Nietzsche, who also, notoriously, failed to distinguish between: "God is dead" which is nonsense, of course; and "The concept of God is no longer as influential in 19th century Europe", which was, of course, true. Of course, Nietzsche's epigone followed him even in this confusion between the concept of God, and what the concept of God was the concept of.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:51 pm
@fast,
fast;132521 wrote:
Yes.

Quote:
Abstraction is the process or result of generalization by reducing the information content of a concept or an observable phenomenon, typically to retain only information which is relevant for a particular purpose. For example, abstracting a leather soccer ball to the more general idea of a ball retains only the information on general ball attributes and behaviour, eliminating the characteristics of that particular ball.
If the observable phenomenon we call a "particle" is correctly described as a "wave", then X does not exist as Y, we thought something was X (a particle) and it was actually Y (a wave).

How exactly does one compare a cat to a particle? A grouping of particles is an abstraction of the "observable phenomenon" 'cat'. Cats are made up of what has been called particles, but the question now being presented is whether or not a cat is actually made up of waves.

Quote:
That is a current question in QM, because we would be replacing X with the more correct Y. So particles wouldn't exist, but waves would.

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 05:06 PM ----------

kennethamy;132523 wrote:
If only people would distinguish between words and things, that might be such a good start that the momentum would carry them forward to further clarification, and the confusion that now prevails could be eventually cleared up. But that first step, the distinction between the word and the thing is somehow so daunting, that it doesn't seem to happen.

What is a particle if it refers to a wave? It is a concept is it not? A concept that refers to something that exists, a wave. That is the point, if a particle does not exist, then it would be a concept referring to something else that does.

Am I missing something?

*EDIT* It would be like saying "my concept of a wave is a particle". */EDIT*
jeeprs

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 05:07 pm
@fast,
It would do us all good to remember that Lord Kelvin (whose name is preserved in the measure of temperature) once proclamied that, save for a few dark clouds on the horizon, the description of reality by physics was nearing completion. These 'dark clouds' were the Michelson Morley experiments which appeared to show that light did not propogate through the Aether. They became part of the motivation for Einstein's discovery of general relativity. Some time later, David Hilbert stood up at an international convention and named a series of physics problems which needed to be solved, and then our physical description of the universe would be nearing completion. This was before the discoveries of sub-atomic particles, I seem to remember.

Now we can't account for more than 90% of the physical mass of the cosmos, and sub-atomic particles can be in two places at once. The world is a strange place.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:20 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;132528 wrote:

If the observable phenomenon we call a "particle" is correctly described as a "wave", then X does not exist as Y, we thought something was X (a particle) and it was actually Y (a wave).

How exactly does one compare a cat to a particle? A grouping of particles is an abstraction of the "observable phenomenon" 'cat'. Cats are made up of what has been called particles, but the question now being presented is whether or not a cat is actually made up of waves.

That is a current question in QM, because we would be replacing X with the more correct Y. So particles wouldn't exist, but waves would.

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 05:06 PM ----------

What is a particle if it refers to a wave? It is a concept is it not? A concept that refers to something that exists, a wave. That is the point, if a particle does not exist, then it would be a concept referring to something else that does.

Am I missing something?

*EDIT* It would be like saying "my concept of a wave is a particle". */EDIT*

Particles do not refer to anything, anymore than chairs refer to anything. Particles are not symbols, and only symbols can refer to something else. Now, the word "particle" (notice the inverted commas indicating that I am talking about a word) is a symbol, and it can refer to something. It refers to particles (if there are such things). Of course, if there are no particles, then the word, "particle" (again, notice the inverted commas) fails to refer to anything at all. That doesn't mean that particles would be concepts. Since there are no particles, particles would not be anything at all, for there would be no particles to be anything. "Particle" (again, note the inverted commas) if it referred to nothing, would not suddenly become a wave. How could a word become a wave? What you must mean is that the term, "particle" refers to nothing, and the term, "wave" does refer to something. That is, there are no particles, but there are waves. Isn't that what you really mean to say. Not that the term, "particle" has become a wave. That really makes no sense.

You have to distinguish between words or concepts on the one hand, and things on the other. If you do not, then total confusion is the result.
Unicorns do not exist. Does that mean that unicorn are concepts, and therefore that unicorns do exist? You cannot mean that. Unicorns cannot both not exist and exist.
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:21 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;132460 wrote:
In science they exist as useful concepts, there is no metaphysical claim of existence though.

I think you summed it up nicely.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:30 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132588 wrote:
Particles do not refer to anything, anymore than chairs refer to anything. Particles are not symbols, and only symbols can refer to something else. Now, the word "particle" (notice the inverted commas indicating that I am talking about a word) is a symbol, and it can refer to something. It refers to particles (if there are such things). Of course, if there are no particles, then the word, "particle" (again, notice the inverted commas) fails to refer to anything at all. That doesn't mean that particles would be concepts. Since there are no particles, particles would not be anything at all, for there would be no particles to be anything. "Particle" (again, note the inverted commas) if it referred to nothing, would not suddenly become a wave. How could a word become a wave? What you must mean is that the term, "particle" refers to nothing, and the term, "wave" does refer to something. That is, there are no particles, but there are waves. Isn't that what you really mean to say. Not that the term, "particle" has become a wave. That really makes no sense.

You have to distinguish between words or concepts on the one hand, and things on the other. If you do not, then total confusion is the result.
Unicorns do not exist. Does that mean that unicorn are concepts, and therefore that unicorns do exist? You cannot mean that. Unicorns cannot both not exist and exist.

Ok, then I see what you mean. The issue I guess is that people will continue to use the term particle, because the concept of a particle is useful, even if it refers to no thing.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:30 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;132589 wrote:
I think you summed it up nicely.

Scientists do not think that electrons exist? I think you are quite wrong. Electrons are not useful concepts, for electrons are not concepts at all. Do you mean the concept of electron is a useful concept? I agree. But why do you think that it is only a useful concept. The concept of elephant is also a useful concept. But the concept of elephant is not only a useful concept. It happens to refer to a large animal, native to both Africa and Asia. Why cannot the concept of electron be useful, but also refer to small particles (or waves). The fact that it is useful doesn't mean that it is only useful. Scientist think that electron theory is true. But electron theory implies there are electrons. Therefore, scientists think that electron theory is true. Another comparison. Germ theory is very useful. But aren't there germs.
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132523 wrote:
If only people would distinguish between words and things, that might be such a good start that the momentum would carry them forward to further clarification, and the confusion that now prevails could be eventually cleared up.

I agree with you. But the problem is, as Kant has shown, that things only exist as concepts. A thing is the unity of substance in a nexus of causality. We cannot speak of things except in terms of human concepts. The concept and the thing are not so different than you suppose. I think what you mean by things is things-in-themselves, but as I have already mentioned: this is either a paradoxical or a limiting concept. "Things-apart-from-concepts" is itself a concept, and therefore paradoxical. Please really think about this.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132591 wrote:
Scientists do not think that electrons exist? I think you are quite wrong. Electrons are not useful concepts, for electrons are not concepts at all. Do you mean the concept of electron is a useful concept? I agree. But why do you think that it is only a useful concept. The concept of elephant is also a useful concept. But the concept of elephant is not only a useful concept. It happens to refer to a large animal, native to both Africa and Asia. Why cannot the concept of electron be useful, but also refer to small particles (or waves). The fact that it is useful doesn't mean that it is only useful. Scientist think that electron theory is true. But electron theory implies there are electrons. Therefore, scientists think that electron theory is true. Another comparison. Germ theory is very useful. But aren't there germs.

We are talking about scales where things are not directly observable as concrete entities. These theories operate on the assumption that they may later be proven wrong, so they are not meant to make metaphysical claims. On the empirical scope, electrons exist, but ask yourself what an electron is? It is a set of attributes with no concrete thing to refer to. With an elephant you can refer directly to the observation of an elephant, and you can list off a set of attributes. Such that it has eyes, big ears, is usually grey, has a long snout, etc...

I heard a talk from a friend in my university's physics club who did an internship at Fermilab, and he explained that his group had come close to being able to claim discovery of a new type of particle. It is very indirect because of the manner that these particles are observed, they are quite small. To claim discovery you have to get over a level of uncertainty that what you are seeing isn't just random noise or other particles.
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:19 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;132608 wrote:
To claim discovery you have to get over a level of uncertainty that what you are seeing isn't just random noise or other particles.

Persuasion as "proof." A spectrum of likelihood. At some point experiments are so persuasive in relation to hypothesis/mental-model that the hypothesis is "proven" or persuasive enough to bank and to build on.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 09:52 pm
@fast,
Hey Scotty - as you are well versed in the science of the matter, what about this idea of 'virtual particles' that they talk about. That sounds pretty intriguing. Got any info on what they might be? (if 'be' is not too strong a word.)
kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:38 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;132599 wrote:
I agree with you. But the problem is, as Kant has shown, that things only exist as concepts. A thing is the unity of substance in a nexus of causality. We cannot speak of things except in terms of human concepts. The concept and the thing are not so different than you suppose. I think what you mean by things is things-in-themselves, but as I have already mentioned: this is either a paradoxical or a limiting concept. "Things-apart-from-concepts" is itself a concept, and therefore paradoxical. Please really think about this.

Does "things exist only as concepts" mean, "there are concepts of things, but no things"? If not, then what does it mean? The trouble is that I don't understand how you are using the phrase, "X exists as Y". It sounds as if X is wearing some kind of disguise. It may be that you believe that "the concept and the thing" are not different because you use this obscure phrase, "things exist as concepts" and think it has some clear meaning. But that phrase (and in general, phrases of the form, "X exists as Y" do not have a clear meaning so far as I can tell. Perhaps you ought to think about what that kind of phrase means, and then tell me your conclusion.

Suppose someone says, "John, when he died, existed only as a ghost". I would understand that as meaning, "John did not exist, but John's ghost existed". Would you mean anything other than that. So, if you say that things exist only as concepts, do you mean that things do not exists, but only concepts exist? That there are no things, but only concepts? And do you think that is true? I think that is as false as anything could be.

I assure you that by "things" I do not mean, "things-in-themselves" since I do not believe there are "things-in-themselves" as Kant meant that phrase. But I do believe (as everyone who is not talking philosophy believes) that there are objects no one knows about. But I think that people can know about them in principle, if not in fact. As for example, I believe that it is possible that no one will ever know about extra-terrestrials, or whether such things exist. But, I believe that it is possible in principle to know about such things. Thus, ETs are not, things in themselves as I understand that phrase.

By the way, how do you agree with me? Certainly, you disagree with me.

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 02:56 AM ----------

Scottydamion;132590 wrote:
Ok, then I see what you mean. The issue I guess is that people will continue to use the term particle, because the concept of a particle is useful, even if it refers to no thing.

It would be hard to believe that the term, "germ" would have been useful even if it turned out there were no germs. The term "phlogiston" did not turn out to be useful, because it turned out that there was no such thing as phlogiston.
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:27 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132716 wrote:
Does "things exist only as concepts" mean, "there are concepts of things, but no things"?

A thing is only a thing if it has been conceptualized. For thingness is the result of conceptualization. Sense-data is sliced and classified by means of concepts, for the most automatically. We automatically divide our sense data into "objects." To objectify is to conceptualize.

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 03:34 AM ----------

kennethamy;132716 wrote:

But I think that people can know about them in principle, if not in fact. As for example, I believe that it is possible that no one will ever know about extra-terrestrials, or whether such things exist. But, I believe that it is possible in principle to know about such things. Thus, ETs are not, things in themselves as I understand that phrase.

By the way, how do you agree with me? Certainly, you disagree with me.

Right, E.T.s are not things-in-themselves. They may be out there.

The main point is this: it is us, our brains/minds that divide our sense-data into objects. Object-hood is conceptual. It's a basic essential form of concept. We conceive qualia or sense-data as related, as part of a unity. Our mind automatically divides sensation into things, and arguably projects causality.

From a Darwinian point of view, our mind is probably doing this in ways that contribute to our survival. I expect that our concepts mirror "things-in-themselves" quite well.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:52 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;132599 wrote:
But the problem is, as Kant has shown, that things only exist as concepts.

Steady on. I am not a Kant scholar, but I don't think this is quite right. I think Kant was a realist as illustrated by the following quote:

Quote:
to say that the fact that the mind of the knower makes the a priori contribution does not mean that space and time or the categories are mere figments of the imagination. Kant is an empirical realist about the world we experience; we can know objects as they appear to us. He gives a robust defense of science and the study of the natural world from his argument about the mind's role in making nature.
Source: Kant, Immanuel: Metaphysics[The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

I do, however, note the important qualification in this paragraph 'as they appear to us'....

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 07:57 PM ----------

Reconstructo;132743 wrote:
From a Darwinian point of view, our mind is probably doing this in ways that contribute to our survival.

Actually, philosopher of religion Alvin Plantinga has a very good argument about this:

Quote:
Since we have been cobbled together by (unguided) evolution, it is unlikely, he thinks, that our view of the world is overall accurate; natural selection is interested in adaptive behavior, not in true belief. But Dawkins fails to plumb the real depths of the skeptical implications of the view that we have come to be by way of unguided evolution. We can see this as follows. Like most naturalists, Dawkins is a materialist about human beings: human persons are material objects; they are not immaterial selves or souls or substances joined to a body, and they don't contain any immaterial substance as a part. From this point of view, our beliefs would be dependent on neurophysiology, and (no doubt) a belief would just be a neurological structure of some complex kind. Now the neurophysiology on which our beliefs depend will doubtless be adaptive; but why think for a moment that the beliefs dependent on or caused by that neurophysiology will be mostly true? Why think our cognitive faculties are reliable?
Source
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 03:23 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;132748 wrote:
Steady on. I am not a Kant scholar, but I don't think this is quite right. I think Kant was a realist as illustrated by the following quote:

I worded that in a bad way. Thingness is conceptual. Things as things only exist conceptually. For instance, we see a dog. Is this dog separate from its environment or not? Is it really an independent thing? What does it mean to be a thing? A thing is framed conceptually. To contrast an object from its environment is to dichotomize qualia. Object and non-object. A physical scientist would have trouble finding empty space between an "object" and its "environment." (environment is also already an object, or we could not speak of it.) We can only speak of objects, to oversimplify. Of the world-in-itself we cannot speak with certainty. Is it singular, plural? But these are human impositions. Quantity is a human matter.

Yes, Kant was a realist, and so am I. But his limiting concept (noumena) is the logical/conceptual ground of objectivity.

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 04:29 AM ----------

jeeprs;132748 wrote:

Actually, philosopher of religion Alvin Plantinga has a very good argument about this:

Yes, the the theory of evolution is a Mobius strip. The theorist of evolution is theoretically a product of this evolution. I would say that the theory of evolution points toward pragmatist epistemology. (Sophia on one side. Pragmatism on the other. The rest is compromise?)

But then the numen is arguably evolved to aid in socialization. Jung is Plato plus/minus Darwin. Plus or minus being a matter of taste.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 03:40 am
@fast,
anyway let's not get into evolution again here.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132716 wrote:
It would be hard to believe that the term, "germ" would have been useful even if it turned out there were no germs. The term "phlogiston" did not turn out to be useful, because it turned out that there was no such thing as phlogiston.

There's a reason I used the phrase "no thing" instead of nothing. I will try to give you an example:

If you are familiar with the term Aether (as applied to light propagation), then you will know that it is was disproven in the 1900s, so for the sake of your argument let disproven equate to "does not exist". So the aether does not exist, but there are new theories in particle physics that seek to use the idea, such as the Higgs field. This theory hopes to answer the question of what gives things mass, and it does so by saying things move through a field of Higgs bosons, a Higgs aether as it were. I got the opportunity to ask someone working on the idea about it at a physics convention and he agreed that it was in principle the same as an aether.

If this theory explains observable phenomena, and the Higgs boson is discovered, then you would say an aether of Higgs bosons exists. However, if the Higgs boson is not discovered, but the theory still explains observable phenomena, then it is a useful concept that does not refer to any thing, but rather refers to an imaginary particle and an imaginary aether, things that do no "exist".

I know that's a mouthful, but it explains my point.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:57 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;132756 wrote:
I worded that in a bad way. Thingness is conceptual. Things as things only exist conceptually. For instance, we see a dog. Is this dog separate from its environment or not? Is it really an independent thing? What does it mean to be a thing? A thing is framed conceptually. To contrast an object from its environment is to dichotomize qualia. Object and non-object. A physical scientist would have trouble finding empty space between an "object" and its "environment." (environment is also already an object, or we could not speak of it.) We can only speak of objects, to oversimplify. Of the world-in-itself we cannot speak with certainty. Is it singular, plural? But these are human impositions. Quantity is a human matter.

Yes, Kant was a realist, and so am I. But his limiting concept (noumena) is the logical/conceptual ground of objectivity.

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 04:29 AM ----------

That we cannot categorize without categories, and that we cannot categorize in the particular way we do without the particular categories we have, are tantamount to tautologies. It reminds me of Horatio's reply to Hamlet in the following:

HAMLET
123 There's never a villain dwelling in all Denmark
124 But he's an arrant knave. HORATIO
125 There needs no Ghost, my lord, come from the grave
126 To tell us this.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:03 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;132644 wrote:
Hey Scotty - as you are well versed in the science of the matter, what about this idea of 'virtual particles' that they talk about. That sounds pretty intriguing. Got any info on what they might be? (if 'be' is not too strong a word.)

That idea would require me to take higher level math and physics classes to understand. If you look it up you can find some experiments associated with the idea, but for me to correctly describe it I would need a few more years of college! All I know at the moment is that it brings together some quanutm ideas which obtain some odd results, virtual particles are said to exist temporarily, a term hard to mash with the laws of the conservation of energy, and I will not attempt to do so without further knowledge!
0 Replies