An electron is a posit?

jeeprs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:48 am
@fast,
But at the time that it is not being observed, its properties cannot be determined. The precise properties it is said to have are determined at, OR BY, the act of observation. Or so I understand. This is one of the meanings of 'the probability wave'. During the time it is NOT being observed, it is not in any particular location, and cannot to be said to exist as a point-particle. And this is why the question is being asked.

Scotty - any comment on this exact point? Is what I am saying correct here?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:07 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;130567 wrote:
But at the time that it is not being observed, its properties cannot be determined. The precise properties it is said to have are determined at, OR BY, the act of observation. Or so I understand. This is one of the meanings of 'the probability wave'. During the time it is NOT being observed, it is not in any particular location, and cannot to be said to exist as a point-particle. And this is why the question is being asked.

But whatever it cannot be said to exist as, that does not mean it does not exist, does it? From the fact that the properties of something cannot be observed (or observed together) it neither follows that the something does not have properties, nor, that it does not exist. That an electron is queer does not mean it does not exist.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:34 am
@fast,
What do you think Einstein meant when he said he couldn't accept that God plays dice with the Universe, and why did he spend years trying to prove that this idea is wrong?
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:15 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;130567 wrote:

It's a good representation of the Copenhagen interpretation, which so far has proven the most useful.

Kenneth has selective-reading I think, instead of seeing "cannot be said to exist as a point-particle" he reads "cannot be said to exist".

The important thing to emphasize (which you did) is that if the act of observation causes classical properties to form, then classical particles are formed by our observation of them.

So, as far as classical existence is concerned, they would not until observed, but it is the place of the scientist to assume they exist in some form, even if it turned out that there is only the mind and no outer existence.

---------- Post added 02-21-2010 at 04:16 AM ----------

kennethamy;130514 wrote:
So, if someone argues that if Enrico is a German, then Enrico is a European, but that since Enrico is not a German (he is an Italian) therefore he is not a European, whether that is a faulty argument is a matter of taste?

(That, by the way, is a clear counterexample to your position). That faulty argument is an example of the fallacy of denying the antecedent. Look it up.

The argument is apparently faulty/unsound, the form is valid. Yes, it is a matter of taste in intuition.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 07:12 pm
@Scottydamion,
kennethamy;129876 wrote:
I know what Wigner means by "consciousness". But what I don't know is what he means by "refers to consciousness". And that is what I was asking about. Not about consciousness.

Well, one answer is as follows:

Scottydamion;130612 wrote:
The important thing to emphasize (which you did) is that if the act of observation causes classical properties to form, then classical particles are formed by our observation of them.

So, as far as classical existence is concerned, they would not until observed, but it is the place of the scientist to assume they exist in some form, even if it turned out that there is only the mind and no outer existence.

This is what is so challenging about the implications of Quantum Mechanics. It is all very well to blithely assume that subatomic particles are just 'there', but the science does not support this viewpoint. Not philosophy or continental de-construction, but science.

Now of course, many implications have been drawn from this, and I am sure quite a few of them are pretty wacko. Probably you will find advertisements for 'Quantum Healing Crystals' on the back of your TV guide, with a little sticker on it, saying 'proven by Science'. But regardless, there are some very sober and serious scientific philosophers who realise that the metaphysical and ontological implications of QM are really pretty unsettling. Even Russell knew this at the time he wrote the History of Western Philosophy when he said that QM 'would demand even more radical departures from the traditional doctrine of space and time than the theory of relativity.' (p 742)

As for me, I am perfectly happy with the idea that the nature of matter is mysterious. I think mystery is interesting and full of possibility. If things aren't quite what they seem, there are all kinds of possibilities for how they might be. And that is enough for me.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:57 pm
@fast,
Can't resist adding another quote from Bernard D'espagnet. I have added the emphasis.

Quote:
I believe that some of our most engrained notions about space and causality should be reconsidered. Anyone who takes quantum mechanics seriously will have reached the same conclusion.

What quantum mechanics tells us, I believe, is surprising to say the least. It tells us that the basic components of objects - the particles, electrons, quarks etc. - cannot be thought of as "self-existent". The reality that they, and hence all objects, are components of is merely "empirical reality".

This reality is something that, while not a purely mind-made construct as radical idealism would have it, can be but the picture our mind forces us to form of ... Of what ? The only answer I am able to provide is that underlying this empirical reality is a mysterious, non-conceptualisable "ultimate reality", not embedded in space and (presumably) not in time either.
Source

I think his viewpoint vindicates Kant, as does a considerable amount of cognitive neuroscience. I am also convinced that the "mysterious non-conceptualisable 'ultimate reality' " is what Plotinus was talking about when he referred to The One. I am getting D'espagnet's On Physics and Philosophy out of the library and will do some more work on this topic.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 12:24 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;130612 wrote:

The argument is apparently faulty/unsound, the form is valid. Yes, it is a matter of taste in intuition.

The form is not valid. The form is invalid. It commits the fallacy of denying the antecedent. As I pointed out, the argument must be invalid since it has true premises and a false conclusion, and all arguments which have true premises and a false conclusion are invalid arguments.

St. Augustine heard a child's voice admonishing him with, "Tolle Lege, Tolle, Lege". For Augustine it was to pick up and read the scriptures, but for you (and others) it is to pick up and read an elementary logic book. It may make as much difference in your life as reading the scriptures did in Augustine's It may get you to be taken seriously when you talk about logic and argument.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 04:17 am
@fast,
Hey I've got one

Q: What do you call a Greek skydiver?

A: Con Descending
0 Replies

fast

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:26 pm
@Scottydamion,
[QUOTE=Scottydamion;130612]Kenneth has selective-reading I think, instead of seeing "cannot be said to exist as a point-particle" he reads "cannot be said to exist".[/QUOTE]Things exist, and they exist as (and only as) they do, so if electrons are point-particles, then they exist as point particles, and never would they exist as something else, or else they wouldn't be electrons. Saying that something "exists as" is what is problematic; it's best to avoid using such a phrase.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:33 pm
@fast,
fast;132455 wrote:
Things exist, and they exist as (and only as) they do, so if electrons are point-particles, then they exist as point particles, and never would they exist as something else, or else they wouldn't be electrons. Saying that something "exists as" is what is problematic; it's best to avoid using such a phrase.

You just used "exist as" yourself.

What I was talking about is that in science there is a concept known as a particle and we have so far assumed that particles exist. However, waves may replace partices as a better concept so we would then say that only waves exist. Right now we think both "exist". In science they exist as useful concepts, there is no metaphysical claim of existence though.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:43 pm
@fast,
Many are looking for a sense of certainty. It is a natural human instinct but I think it is a form of what is called in Buddhism 'clinging to views' or seeking security in dogmatic attitudes. I regard the ability to maintain equanimity in the face of ambiguity and uncertainty as the sign of a superior intelligence.

Here is an interesting essay on the question: Philosophy Forums: Reality, Existence, and the Atom
fast

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:07 pm
@jeeprs,
[QUOTE=jeeprs;130386]What do you mean, an electron is 'there'?

As I understand it, the electron is depicted as a probability wave up until the precise instant when its whereabouts are recorded by a device. [/quote]

That's not my understanding--not that my understanding is correct, mind you. It's my understanding that electrons are subatomic particles. All particles (even subatomic particles) are physical, aren't they? They might not be (as far as I know), but I am operating under the assumption that they are. I'm also assuming that probability waves (whatever they are) are not physical.

How they are depicted (as you say) need not matter unless they are being depicted accurately, and what do you mean by "its whereabouts" anyway? Aren't you also suggesting that electrons are physical? I hope you aren't saying that probability waves (whatever they are) have locations!

Also, I wouldn't want to confuse the what with the how, if you will. In other words, what something is is what it is and nothing else, and though we may have to go extreme lengths and concern ourselves with probability waves and mathematical equations in our endeavor to study them, we can't let how we do that (and what that entails) distract us from the fact that electrons are subatomic particles.

[quote]So apart from that instant, it does not exist in a determinate sense. A probability wave is not an object nor a thing. It is a mathematical abstraction. All it determines is that there is a statistical probability of detecting an electron within this range of values at a given time. But in no sense does it say that the electron is 'really there'.[/QUOTE]You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either they exist in a physical form, or they exist in a non-physical form. They can't exist in both forms. It feels like what's being measured and the process of measuring is being confused.[/SIZE]

[quote]if this is not the meaning of probability wave and the collapse of the wave function, then what do you suggest is?[/SIZE]

Just for the record again, in relation to what did Einstein say that he refused to accept spooky action at a distance, and why did he say he refused to believe that God plays dice? What is the implication of the 'quantum leap' and non-locality in all of this? Are you proposing that QM has no difficult metaphysical or ontological implications whatever?[/QUOTE]I know nothing much about any of that. It's all I can do to pin down what an electron is.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:13 pm
@fast,
fast;132472 wrote:

That's not my understanding--not that my understanding is correct, mind you. It's my understanding that electrons are subatomic particles. All particles (even subatomic particles) are physical, aren't they? They might not be (as far as I know), but I am operating under the assumption that they are. I'm also assuming that probability waves (whatever they are) are not physical.

How they are depicted (as you say) need not matter unless they are being depicted accurately, and what do you mean by "its whereabouts" anyway? Aren't you also suggesting that electrons are physical? I hope you aren't saying that probability waves (whatever they are) have locations!

Also, I wouldn't want to confuse the what with the how, if you will. In other words, what something is is what it is and nothing else, and though we may have to go extreme lengths and concern ourselves with probability waves and mathematical equations in our endeavor to study them, we can't let how we do that (and what that entails) distract us from the fact that electrons are subatomic particles.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either they exist in a physical form, or they exist in a non-physical form. They can't exist in both forms. It feels like what's being measured and the process of measuring is being confused.

I know nothing much about any of that. It's all I can do to pin down what an electron is.

You should Wiki wave-particle duality. There is the concept of a probabilty wave, and there is the concept that an electron is a wave. They are different. The thing to remember is that a particle is also a mathematical abstraction, just as an electron wave or a probability wave are abstractions. It is a point in space that has certain properties, or values.
0 Replies

fast

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:32 pm
@Scottydamion,
[QUOTE=Scottydamion;132460]You just used "exist as" yourself.[/QUOTE]Yes, I know. I was trying to use it as I think you are using it while showing that it can be done correctly, yet I also wanted to explain that we should avoid using it. People tend to think that if X exists as Y, then X can exist as something other than Y, and I'm pointing out that the only thing X can exist as is X.

[quote]What I was talking about is that in science there is a concept known as a particle and we have so far assumed that particles exist. However, waves may replace partices as a better concept so we would then say that only waves exist. Right now we think both "exist". In science they exist as useful concepts, there is no metaphysical claim of existence though.[/QUOTE]I think we should keep straight in our minds the difference between those things that are said to be in our mind and things that are not in our mind. You mentioned concepts, and that is something that is said to be in the mind, and I don't think we need to be much interested in things that are in the mind--at least not so much on this issue. Concepts, ideas, thoughts, and abstractions are all mental entities, but what our concepts are concepts of, what our ideas are ideas of, and what our thoughts are thoughts of are all things that are not in our mind. There are exceptions, of course.[/SIZE]

For example, if I talk about a brick and the particles that comprise it, then I'm not talking about something in the mind. Instead, I'm talking about something that is not in the mind.

As far I know, all particles are things that can be found outside the mind. I'm not sure about waves (at least not what you mean). Maybe there are actual mind-independent waves (I have no idea), but the term, "probability wave" certainly doesn't do much in way of making me think of things outside the mind.

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 04:46 PM ----------

link wrote:
In physics and chemistry, wave-particle duality is the concept that all energy (and thus all matter) exhibits both wave-like and particle-like properties.

Based on this, there is a concept of wave-particle duality. But, and also based on this, we shouldn't think that wave-like properties and particle-like properties are conceptual. They are physical and can be found outside the mind.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:48 pm
@fast,
fast;132493 wrote:
Yes, I know. I was trying to use it as I think you are using it while showing that it can be done correctly, yet I also wanted to explain that we should avoid using it. People tend to think that if X exists as Y, then X can exist as something other than Y, and I'm pointing out that the only thing X can exist as is X.

I think we should keep straight in our minds the difference between those things that are said to be in our mind and things that are not in our mind. You mentioned concepts, and that is something that is said to be in the mind, and I don't think we need to be much interested in things that are in the mind--at least not so much on this issue. Concepts, ideas, thoughts, and abstractions are all mental entities, but what our concepts are concepts of, what our ideas are ideas of, and what our thoughts are thoughts of are all things that are not in our mind. There are exceptions, of course.

For example, if I talk about a brick and the particles that comprise it, then I'm not talking about something in the mind. Instead, I'm talking about something that is not in the mind.

As far I know, all particles are things that can be found outside the mind. I'm not sure about waves (at least not what you mean). Maybe there are actual mind-independent waves (I have no idea), but the term, "probability wave" certainly doesn't do much in way of making me think of things outside the mind.

Yes I agree X cannot exist as Y, but that is why particles and waves being concepts is important. They are not meant to define any kind of absolute reality because they will always beg the question "what is smaller?". For example, we used to think protons were elementary particles, but then we discovered they were made of quarks. So the properties of protons should be describable in terms of the interactions of quarks. That is why these are just concepts, because they are abstractions even if we assume they relate to something metaphysical.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:54 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;132504 wrote:
Yes I agree X cannot exist as Y, but that is why particles and waves being concepts is important. .

Particles and waves are concepts? What are the concepts of particles and the concepts of waves, then? Also concepts?
fast

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;132463 wrote:
Many are looking for a sense of certainty. It is a natural human instinct but I think it is a form of what is called in Buddhism 'clinging to views' or seeking security in dogmatic attitudes. I regard the ability to maintain equanimity in the face of ambiguity and uncertainty as the sign of a superior intelligence.

Here is an interesting essay on the question: Philosophy Forums: Reality, Existence, and the Atom

Paul is confused.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132509 wrote:
Particles and waves are concepts? What are the concepts of particles and the concepts of waves, then? Also concepts?

If I rephrased it "particles and waves being abstractions" would you still have a problem? I may have incorrectly used abstraction and concept somewhat interchangeably.
fast

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:05 pm
@Scottydamion,
[QUOTE=Scottydamion;132504]For example, we used to think protons were elementary particles, but then we discovered they were made of quarks.[/QUOTE]Then we were mistaken when we said protons were elementary particles, but we would not have been mistaken by calling them particles, nor are we mistaken by calling them subatomic particles, and even if we were, they are what they are regardless of what we call them. The physical matter doesn't suddenly vanish just because we get it wrong when we say the physical matter has no substructure.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:11 pm
@fast,
fast;132516 wrote:
Then we were mistaken when we said protons were elementary particles, but we would not have been mistaken by calling them particles, nor are we mistaken by calling them subatomic particles, and even if we were, they are what they are regardless of what we call them. The physical matter doesn't suddenly vanish just because we get it wrong when we say the physical matter has no substructure.

But that is the whole point. What is a particle? Some point out in space? The entire idea of a particle is being put under question by quantum mechanics. The term "particle" is proving inadequate at even the atomic level! Look up wave-particle duality and the double slit experiment if you want to better understand where I'm coming from.
0 Replies