Could the theory of evolution as it stands be wrong??

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:53 pm
@Alan McDougall,
The eye is a great 'invention' of nature. Considering that there are organism that do not have eyes. The eye provides an inlet for light to enter the brain, so that the mind can know what lies ahead of the nose. The nose also lets us know what lies ahead but in different form.

Let us not confuse the issue with bringing in techniques and tools like the spectacles. The spectacle was once an optic lens, rimmed, chained and kept in the pocket of a wealthy gentleman. The lens was precede by the gentlemen, and gentlemen were preceded by man. And man, it is said, was preceded by fishes.

Although the eyes is a technological marvel by itself, it is imperfect. Perfection is not seen in nature, though the perceptions we have are considered 'perfect'.

In the game called 'evolution', correction - an anthropomorphic viewpoint, is an ongoing process. Human eyes, also needs correction. Its just that the human mind thought out an ad hoc means to correct the imperfect vision.

hats off!, i would say.

edit;

Right now my left nostril is flowing, i wonder why?
Aedes

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:58 pm
@xris,
We have an extraordinarily sophisticated visual cortex -- fully 1/3 of our brain is devoted to visual processing, not just seeing but processing what we see. Our visual system is one of our most complex neurologic systems, and far and away our most complicated sensory system.

xris;108935 wrote:
Dave when you say you see no creator, do you not see many strange coincidences that could give rise to the notion. I find the problem from both sides , one jumps to the conclusion of an almighty creator and the other like yours , its all a great big coincidence.
The absence of a creator doesn't make it a coincidence. Physical existence has followed a path of probabilities.
memester

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 11:17 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;105489 wrote:
Alan -- if you want to critique evolution, you need to do it in scientific terms and not using logic or using thought experiments. There is PLENTY of established science that would seem counterintuitive -- until you do the science. We don't adhere to evolutionary biology because it's logical. We do because it's the answer we repeatedly get when we look at the world.

and how do you get that answer ? not through using logic ?
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:12 am
@Alan McDougall,
How did inanimate matter, from the already existing primordial soup, become a living extremely complex cell organism?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/ADN_animation.gif

Chance??
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:17 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;109084 wrote:

Right now my left nostril is flowing, i wonder why?
an answer could be, that it's because the nostrils alternate in flowing and in other aspects too.

Perceptual Rivalry: Nostrils Alternate To Process Competing Odors

or you might want an answer to "why" they flow. but since you mention "left", I assume that you are curious about why at this time, it's one nostril only
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:54 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;109139 wrote:
How did inanimate matter, from the already existing primordial soup, become a living extremely complex cell organism?

Watch some vids, or read some articles, on abiogenesis.

Here's one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg&feature=related

memester wrote:
Evidence ? thanks

Oh thank you for being so particular.

What's your current understanding of what the theory states about an immediate descendant to a population forced into a new ecological niche and, that given, what are your objections to the idea that those immediate descendants are not likely to be better adapted than their parents?

Note the words 'immediate' and 'likely', by the way.

xris wrote:
Dave when you say you see no creator, do you not see many strange coincidences that could give rise to the notion.

Not really - when most people expound on what they feel those coincidences are I usually just feel that they are artefacts of human perception and point of view.

Quote:
I find the problem from both sides , one jumps to the conclusion of an almighty creator and the other like yours

I cant believe that the formula for life, that has always existed, has not the appearance of invention.

But that's also a fact of jumping to a conclusion.
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:21 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;109191 wrote:

Oh thank you for being so particular.

What's your current understanding of what the theory states about an immediate descendant to a population forced into a new ecological niche and, that given, what are your objections to the idea that those immediate descendants are not likely to be better adapted than their parents?

Note the words 'immediate' and 'likely', by the way.

:brickwall:
the state of my understanding is not the question. The question is: what's the evidence supporting your claim ?

If you have none, thats fine. We can move on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Well, this is your first foundational error in understanding the theory of evolution through natural selection.

c) if an animal population is forced into an unfriendly environment it's immediate descendants are no more likely to be adapted to it than the first generation.

xris

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:06 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;109087 wrote:
We have an extraordinarily sophisticated visual cortex -- fully 1/3 of our brain is devoted to visual processing, not just seeing but processing what we see. Our visual system is one of our most complex neurologic systems, and far and away our most complicated sensory system.

The absence of a creator doesn't make it a coincidence. Physical existence has followed a path of probabilities.
Probabilities, is the key word for me. The probability that everything probably just happened. Its an insignificant word to explain the wonders that we see. We probably had a BB that arose from probably nothing and life probably followed a probably course of evolution.

Sorry but life as we know it with all its complexities was completely inevitable the millisecond the universe became visible. Its destiny was set in a formula for life that had more than just a probable chance, it was inevitable. This does not conclude a visible thoughtful creator but it definitely gives nature a look of determination and foresight.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:18 am
@memester,
memester;109198 wrote:
If you have none, thats fine. We can move on.

It's just bog-standard evolution by natural selection.

So the evidence for that, really.

---------- Post added 12-08-2009 at 09:19 AM ----------

xris;109205 wrote:
Sorry but life as we know it with all its complexities was completely inevitable the millisecond the universe became visible. Its destiny was set in a formula for life that had more than just a probable chance, it was inevitable. This does not conclude a visible thoughtful creator but it definitely gives nature a look of determination and foresight.

Jumping to conclusions?
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:32 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;109207 wrote:
It's just bog-standard evolution by natural selection.
And making this new claim atop the other, entitles you to refuse to give ANY evidence ?

:a-ok:
Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:38 am
@Alan McDougall,
Until you make some effort to explain what it is you object to then I have no idea what evidence it is you require beyond general evidence for the theory for evolution by natural selection.

So you can post the "smashing-it's-head-against-the-wall" smiley all you want - but until you actually explain what it is you're looking for - in English that isn't too mangled I hope - I can't really hope to clear things up for you.

Explain your objection or we'll let this go.
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:41 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;109214 wrote:
Until you make some effort to explain what it is you object to then I have no idea what evidence it is you require beyond general evidence for the theory for evolution by natural selection.

So you can post the "smashing-it's-head-against-the-wall" smiley all you want - but until you actually explain what it is you're looking for - in English that isn't too mangled I hope - I can't really hope to clear things up for you.

Explain your objection or we'll let this go.
My objection is quite clear . You made an assertion, and have not given ANY support to it. You can duck out, but do not doubt that I have something ready.

here is a bog standard that indicates that adaptations WILL occur
wiki
Quote:
Natural selection acts on the phenotype, or the observable characteristics of an organism, but the genetic (heritable) basis of any phenotype which gives a reproductive advantage will become more common in a population (see allele frequency). Over time, this process can result in adaptations that specialize organisms for particular ecological niches and may eventually result in the emergence of new species. In other words, natural selection is an important process (though not the only process) by which evolution takes place within a population of organisms.

here's your original assertion and my question
Quote:
Quote:
c) if an animal population is forced into an unfriendly environment it's immediate descendants are no more likely to be adapted to it than the first generation.
Evidence ? thanks
xris

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:48 am
@memester,
I would not say i have come to any conclusions but the reasoning must be considered surely? Would you say that life was not inevitable? That life must evolve into natural perfection? The formula for life was written or it was just another probability. You must at some time consider that even our existence to consider is, if covered by the laws of probability,highly unlikely, if all we ever have is probability.

There was a non time when there was zilch, nought not even nothing and then probability came along like a wonderful creator and then everything became a probability of probables. I'm becoming to think we could describe this illusive engineer Probable. Give him a horn, paint him pink and the atheists will be well pleased.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:54 am
@memester,
memester;109215 wrote:
here is a bog standard that indicates that adaptations WILL occur.

I am not suggesting this sort of thing doesn't happen.

In fact I am a strong proponent of the idea.

I said that in the first generation of a population that had adopted a new niche seeing adaptations would be unlikely.

Come back a few generations later and seeing such adaptations might be expected (provided the population has survived of course).

A hundred or so, and such adaptations would be very likely.

So....

What are your objections to the idea that those immediate descendants are not likely to be better adapted than their parents?

Do note the operative words. We're proposing the same thing - but I'm noting that it doesn't happen in one generation.

xris wrote:
Would you say that life was not inevitable?

I'd say it was a fluke that might not have happened at all, or in multifarious different ways.
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:03 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;109217 wrote:
I am not suggesting this sort of thing doesn't happen.

In fact I am a strong proponent of the idea.

I said that in the first generation of a population that had adopted a new niche seeing adaptations would be unlikely.

Come back a few generations later and seeing such adaptations might be expected (provided the population has survived of course).

A hundred or so, and such adaptations would be very likely.

So....

What are your objections to the idea that those immediate descendants are not likely to be better adapted than their parents?

Do note the operative words. We're proposing the same thing - but I'm noting that it doesn't happen in one generation.

I'd say it was a fluke that might not have happened at all, or in multifarious different ways.
I understand that you are saying it happens long term. What in heaven's name makes you think adaptation to environments does not happen in first generation and every generation ?
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:05 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;108681 wrote:
Name just one positive mutation!!

Here are a few:

For example, kinfolk in the village of Limone Sul Garda in northern Italy have a mutation which gives them better tolerance of HDL serum cholesterol. Consequently this family has no history of heart attacks despite their high-risk dietary habits. This mutation was traced to a single common ancestor living in the 1700's, but has now spread to dozens of descendants. Genetic samples from this family are now being tested for potential treatment of patients of heart disease.

Another example of new variance is the Glycophorin A somatic cell mutation which has been identified in some Tibetans, which allows them to endure prolonged periods at altitudes over 7,000 feet without succumbing to apoplexia, or "altitude sickness". A different, but similar mutation was identified in high altitude natives in the Andes.

Another example of that is the CCR5-delta 32 mutation. About 10% of whites of European origin now carry it. But the incidence is only 2% in central Asia, and is completely absent among East Asians, Africans, and tribal Americans. It appears to have suddenly become relatively common among white Europeans about 700 years ago, evidently as a result of the Black Plague, indicating another example of natural selection allowing one gene dominance in a changing environment. It is harmless or neutral in every respect other than its one clearly beneficial feature. According to Science-Frontiers.com, if one inherits this gene from both parents, they will be especially resistant, if not immune to AIDS.

Similarly, population genetics is being credited as one reason incidence of sickle-cell genes in African-Americans is apparently decreasing over time.

For another example we've also identified an emerging population of tetrachromatic women who can see a bit of the normally invisible ultraviolet spectrum.

There's also a family in Germany who were already unusually strong. But in one case, one of their children was born with a double copy of an anti-myostatin mutation carried by both parents. The result is a Herculean kiddo who was examined at only a few days old for his unusually well-developed muscles. By four years old, he had twice the muscle mass of normal children, and half the fat. Pharmaceutical synthesis of this mutation is being examined for potential use against muscular dystrophy or sarcopenia.

And then there's a family in Connecticut who've been identified as having hyperdense, virtually unbreakable bones. A team of doctors at Yale traced the mutation to a gene that was the subject of an earlier study. In that study researchers showed that low bone density could be caused by a mutation that disrupts the function of a gene called LRP5. This clued them that a different mutation increased LRP5 function, leading to an opposite phenotype, that is, high bone density. According to their investigators, members of this family have bones so strong they rival those of a character in the Bruce Willis movie, 'Unbreakable'.

All of these are examples of specifically identified mutations which are definitely beneficial, and which have spread through the subsequent gene pool according to natural selection. This is one of many indesputable proofs of evolution in humans. But we've identified beneficial mutations in other many other species too.

Taken from this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-7d06HJSs

memester;109219 wrote:
I understand that you are saying it happens long term. What in heaven's name makes you think adaptation to environments does not happen in first generation and every generation ?

It can - it's just not very likely in the context of Lamarck's hypothesis (which is what I was discussing when I made the comment).
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:08 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;109221 wrote:
Here are a few:

For example, kinfolk in the village of Limone Sul Garda in northern Italy have a mutation which gives them better tolerance of HDL serum cholesterol. Consequently this family has no history of heart attacks despite their high-risk dietary habits. This mutation was traced to a single common ancestor living in the 1700's, but has now spread to dozens of descendants. Genetic samples from this family are now being tested for potential treatment of patients of heart disease.

Another example of new variance is the Glycophorin A somatic cell mutation which has been identified in some Tibetans, which allows them to endure prolonged periods at altitudes over 7,000 feet without succumbing to apoplexia, or "altitude sickness". A different, but similar mutation was identified in high altitude natives in the Andes.

Another example of that is the CCR5-delta 32 mutation. About 10% of whites of European origin now carry it. But the incidence is only 2% in central Asia, and is completely absent among East Asians, Africans, and tribal Americans. It appears to have suddenly become relatively common among white Europeans about 700 years ago, evidently as a result of the Black Plague, indicating another example of natural selection allowing one gene dominance in a changing environment. It is harmless or neutral in every respect other than its one clearly beneficial feature. According to Science-Frontiers.com, if one inherits this gene from both parents, they will be especially resistant, if not immune to AIDS.

Similarly, population genetics is being credited as one reason incidence of sickle-cell genes in African-Americans is apparently decreasing over time.

For another example we've also identified an emerging population of tetrachromatic women who can see a bit of the normally invisible ultraviolet spectrum.

There's also a family in Germany who were already unusually strong. But in one case, one of their children was born with a double copy of an anti-myostatin mutation carried by both parents. The result is a Herculean kiddo who was examined at only a few days old for his unusually well-developed muscles. By four years old, he had twice the muscle mass of normal children, and half the fat. Pharmaceutical synthesis of this mutation is being examined for potential use against muscular dystrophy or sarcopenia.

And then there's a family in Connecticut who've been identified as having hyperdense, virtually unbreakable bones. A team of doctors at Yale traced the mutation to a gene that was the subject of an earlier study. In that study researchers showed that low bone density could be caused by a mutation that disrupts the function of a gene called LRP5. This clued them that a different mutation increased LRP5 function, leading to an opposite phenotype, that is, high bone density. According to their investigators, members of this family have bones so strong they rival those of a character in the Bruce Willis movie, 'Unbreakable'.

All of these are examples of specifically identified mutations which are definitely beneficial, and which have spread through the subsequent gene pool according to natural selection. This is one of many indesputable proofs of evolution in humans. But we've identified beneficial mutations in other many other species too.

From a quick look, it seems you have shown that adaptations DO occur. You have shown NO evidence, not a stitch, that adaptations DO NOT occur in first generation.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:13 am
@Alan McDougall,
I wish you'd parse posts better. I posted the mutation stuff in reply to a claim by Alan, not you.

I am not denying that adaptations occur in the first generation. I'm saying it's not LIKELY that they do.
memester

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:17 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;109224 wrote:
I wish you'd parse posts better. I posted the mutation stuff in reply to a claim by Alan, not you.

I am not denying that adaptations occur in the first generation. I'm saying it's not LIKELY that they do.
Yes, I'm terrible with grammar and parsing and typing and PC work. So bad in fact that not a word can be understood, usually.

Now please answer giving some evidence, if you have even the tiniest bit.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:24 am
@Alan McDougall,
I'm sorry.

I'm not obliged to fetch evidence for anyone.

Normally I would if only to improve my own understanding.

However, seeing as I'm not even sure what it is you are objecting to, or why you object, I'm not even sure what it is I could provide you with.

It's obviously a huge subject and I'm not going to cover all of it just to try and anticipate whatever it is you don't get.

So - whatever it is you're trying to prove please consider it proven.

I'm wrong - whatever.