Could the theory of evolution as it stands be wrong??

memester

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:20 am
@xris,
xris;110099 wrote:
As i dont believe in accidents my definition of accidents, would have to be others conceived idea....An unfortunate or even fortunate event that could not be conceived of.

Formula..A recipe for making something..now remember its not a human equation written down for a certain cook to brew but an inevitable result when certain elements,materials, are mixed together and the right circumstances are present. The formula for dynamite existed long before it was discovered by man, man became aware of it. The formula for life exists but we are not privy to its secrets.

Creation, the inevitable result of a formula. Nature holds those secrets, it does not invent them, nature is the creative force. If there is creator I'm not aware of him or her or it. I wont deny its possibility but I dont know, Im agnostic.

---------- Post added 12-11-2009 at 07:46 AM ----------

Yes I think you do understand me. Imagine if the same circumstances that occurred to create life here on earth, were to be replicated on another planet, life would be inevitable. Those circumstances could be called a formula, a recipe.
Could be STATED and then that statement would be called one. By those understanding that it is a description of how it is possible that Life was created again, in the same manner as before, REPLICATING. REPLICATING the original process bringing same results, under those described circumstances.

Quote:
Now understanding that concept, we have to accept that the formula has always existed. It was written into the fabric of the universe, at its conception or even before.
No. We do have that notion, shown in our speech, though. You might say that my actions are a "recipe for falure", for instance. Right ? We do say such things, it's true.

Quote:
Written not in words but in reality.
What we are saying by "that is a recipe for falure" means that we see antecedent causes in my actions, for my failure, that would likely result in a repeat performance by anyone doing as I do. We do conceptualize that under same conditions, "doing this brings that".

Quote:
Nature holds those secrets and also the secrets of how it attempts to achieve natural perfection. Nothing in evolution is by accident it occurs by the unwritten formula of nature.
Well, this is similar to argument that Life is unique, in that it doesn't break the Laws of Physics, but it does show us torurously amazing views - however, nothing CAN break the "Laws" of Physics, or we'd change them.

Quote:

Every occurrence has been considered, it acts in accordance to natures demands.
and this is Dawkins' argument AGAINST the possiblility of "God done it".

Quote:
This amazing truth can lead us to believe it was engineered because its so perfect and eternal.
the amazing truth that nothing breaks the laws of physics , is not even the least bit interesting, never mind amazing.

It's like saying "Nothing which is, is not". It's an interesting statement, perhaps, but the notion it expresses is not amazing. That amazing truth, is not.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:44 am
@xris,
xris;110099 wrote:
As i dont believe in accidents my definition of accidents, would have to be others conceived idea....An unfortunate or even fortunate event that could not be conceived of.

Formula..A recipe for making something..now remember its not a human equation written down for a certain cook to brew but an inevitable result when certain elements,materials, are mixed together and the right circumstances are present. The formula for dynamite existed long before it was discovered by man, man became aware of it. The formula for life exists but we are not privy to its secrets.

Creation, the inevitable result of a formula. Nature holds those secrets, it does not invent them, nature is the creative force. If there is creator I'm not aware of him or her or it. I wont deny its possibility but I dont know, Im agnostic.

The descriptive and prescriptive nature of your definitions indicates a polymorphic view of life. Since the definitions... are fine with your line of thinking, which is imho, quite eclectic and esoteric.

I have laid my case to rest. I indeed want to thank you for patiently hearing me out, in spite of me being a too nudgy about the issue.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:52 am
@Alan McDougall,
If you do not believe in "accidents" how about stochastic probablity distributions? Which would make certain kinds ofindividual events inherently unpredictable. Not that either discussion has much to do with evolution.
memester

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:12 am
@prothero,
prothero;110461 wrote:
If you do not believe in "accidents" how about stochastic probablity distributions? Which would make certain kinds ofindividual events inherently unpredictable. Not that either discussion has much to do with evolution.
"unpredictable' is not the same as "accident", is it ?
prothero

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:19 am
@memester,
memester;110466 wrote:
"unpredictable' is not the same as "accident", is it ?
Nope did not say it was. Just querying your stance about determinism. Loosely related to evolution as an unpredictable process.
xris

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:24 am
@prothero,
prothero;110470 wrote:
Nope did not say it was. Just querying your stance about determinism. Loosely related to evolution as an unpredictable process.
But evolution is predictable, it is determined.
Aedes

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:09 am
@xris,
xris;110490 wrote:
No it is not, unless you can account for all variables -- like when the ice age will happen, when the volcano will erupt, or when the plague will strike.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:34 am
@xris,
xris;110490 wrote:

You may need to expounnd on that.
Evolution like the weather is a system with so many variables that chaotic unpredictability will occur even if general patterns may be predicted (chaos theory). Even if you maintain the process is entirely casual it will be unpredictable.
xris

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:48 am
@prothero,
Whatever occurs the formula will have a response. That response is predetermined, the actions that you see, volcanoes, earthquakes, are the vagaries of material world but nature will always act in the same manner to those variations.
prothero

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:24 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Was the development of human life, in your view predetermined? From the time of the big bang?
xris

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:41 pm
@prothero,
prothero;110572 wrote:
Was the development of human life, in your view predetermined? From the time of the big bang?
Yes everything in nature is determined. It was determined by the necessity of natures laws. Natural perfection is it ultimate goal. The path is treacherous but it strives constantly. The only question that for me is unanswerable is the intention, intentional by our reasoning or is it beyond our comprehension. Why does nature have this formula, so strong , so persistent.
memester

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:15 pm
@xris,
xris;110556 wrote:
Whatever occurs the formula will have a response. That response is predetermined, the actions that you see, volcanoes, earthquakes, are the vagaries of material world but nature will always act in the same manner to those variations.
The actual question , if Determinism is embraced, is: predicatable by whom ?
A/ Only by someone having complete information on every event ever...and that someone must have the ability to anyalyse the info and come up with algorithms and so on.
xris

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:30 pm
@memester,
memester;110593 wrote:
A/ Only by someone having complete information on every event ever.
Not predicted but determined. You cant predict a major catastrophe destroying the planet. If nature has a plan, its in its formula. If circumstances give nature the opportunities it will strive to succeed.

You dont need to adjust the formula or envisage every eventuality it has the ability to act , react. Look at every diverse condition the world experiences, from the deep sea to the highest mountain it has the ability. The amazing reality is, that it was always available. It cant suddenly become possible, it was always possible.
memester

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:34 pm
@xris,
xris;110594 wrote:
Not predicted but determined. .

previously you said:
Quote:
But evolution is predictable
xris

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:45 pm
@memester,
memester;110595 wrote:
previously you said:
Do you want to play word games or understand my concept? OK predict, predict by determining the path the formula will take, given certain circumstances. If you have a certain circumstance the outcome can be predicted . Nature acts by determination on the predicted or unpredicted circumstances. If you give me a glass of red wine I will predict, I will drink it, but I cant predict you will offer me a glass of wine.
memester

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 02:02 pm
@xris,
xris;110597 wrote:
Do you want to play word games or understand my concept? OK predict, predict by determining the path the formula will take, given certain circumstances. If you have a certain circumstance the outcome can be predicted . Nature acts by determination on the predicted or unpredicted circumstances. If you give me a glass of red wine I will predict, I will drink it, but I cant predict you will offer me a glass of wine.
Yes, you have the information necessary and the analysing ability to predict, in the case of a glass of wine offered.

The formula is super easy. You like wine, you take what is offered, and some is offered.

it's not a completely accurate way of predicting, as you might not take the glass of wine for whatever immediate reason. Maybe you had enough already, maybe you have to drive, or maybe you are taking a med right now which would interact badly. Maybe you die on the spot and never accept the glass of wine.

so your predicting ability is not really good over the long haul. You can't even predict if I will offer the wine, even though a deterministic process must be behind what I do - according to your argument, eh.
xris

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 02:06 pm
@memester,
memester;110604 wrote:
Yes, you have the information necessary and the analysing ability to predict, in the case of a glass of wine offered.

The formula is super easy. You like wine, you take what is offered, and some is offered.

it's not a completely accurate way of predicting, as you might not take the glass of wine for whatever immediate reason. Maybe you had enough already, maybe you have to drive, or maybe you are taking a med right now which would interact badly. Maybe you die on the spot and never accept the glass of wine.

so your predicting ability is not really good over the long haul.
Your changing the circumstances not my determination to drink the wine. I can predict given the correct circumstances ,I will drink that wine.
memester

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 04:21 pm
@xris,
xris;110608 wrote:
Your changing the circumstances not my determination to drink the wine. I can predict given the correct circumstances ,I will drink that wine.
Yes, given "certain" circumstances. but in fact you have no idea wheterh you would live two seconds past where I offer the wine - a cirumcstance which you DO NOT know.

You also would need to know all the pertinent curcumstances, in order to predict anything about Evolution. and you can't even accurately predict that you will drink the wine, forget about Evolution. You don't even have enough information to say if you will be alive in ten minutes from now or not.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:04 pm
@xris,
xris;110579 wrote:
Yes everything in nature is determined. It was determined by the necessity of natures laws. Natural perfection is it ultimate goal. The path is treacherous but it strives constantly. The only question that for me is unanswerable is the intention, intentional by our reasoning or is it beyond our comprehension. Why does nature have this formula, so strong , so persistent.

modern physics can be interpreted as implying that nature is ordered possiblity, stochastic probablities. It is no longer clear that nature is determinsitic in the manner you imply. factuals and chaos theory also come into play in this conception or discussion. Do you reject this and claim that all unpredictability is epistomological (lack of information) not ontological (inherent in nature).

While I agree nature strives;, I impute nature with more freedom and creativity than you seem to. The development of some form of intelligent life may have been inevitable but I do not find nature so constrained as to make humans inevitable. Your type of determinism seems to be of the LaPlace's demon type.
Aedes

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 06:07 pm
@xris,
xris;110579 wrote:
Yes everything in nature is determined. It was determined by the necessity of natures laws. Natural perfection is it ultimate goal.
Well this is certainly an anti-scientific view. What evidence do you have to support it?

---------- Post added 12-12-2009 at 07:08 PM ----------

memester;110593 wrote:
A/ Only by someone having complete information on every event ever...and that someone must have the ability to anyalyse the info and come up with algorithms and so on.
EXACTLY right.

Maybe we're all predetermined, maybe not. But if so, we'll never know, so does it really make any sense to speak of nature as if that's the case?