Why does God permit evil????

hue-man

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102102 wrote:
I will give the standard (Leibnizian) answers to your objections:

1. As I said, God could have created a world with no evil. But had He done so, he would not have created the best of all possible worlds, since the net amount of good would not have been as great as the actual world.

2. Your second objection just assumes that there are some logically unnecessary evils, and so, begs the question.

3. See number 1. Reducing all the evils would not reduce all the good, but a world in which there was no evil would contain as much good as the actual world which contains evil

Leibniz invented the calculus (So did Newton). For Leibniz, this what what mathematicians call a "minimax" problem in the calculus. God, the supreme mathematician, created a world with the maximum amount of good logically compatible with the minimum amount of evil.

Number one is a popular little theistic argument, and very silly. According to a theistic apologist, a world without evil would not be the best of all possible worlds. This just doesn't hold water. It screams of desperation. Doesn't it mean that god is punishing us by sending us to heaven when we die since there is no evil in heaven? Also, don't the doctrines of the major world religions call for an end to suffering and evil?

The supposed good that is born from evil is one thing, but good does not necessitate evil, and that's an important point to make. There are evils that have no good affect whatsoever, and sometimes they only serve to create more evil. For example, little children are raped and killed for senseless reasons and it only causes more suffering. Anyone who would be desperate enough to salvage their fictitious reality that they would believe that senseless murders of innocents is necessary for the greater good is spiritually poisoned and passively nihilistic.

Give me some examples of how 9/11 served a greater good that could not have been accomplished in a positive way?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:28 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;102141 wrote:
Number one is a popular little theistic argument, and very silly. According to a theistic apologist, a world without evil would not be the best of all possible worlds. This just doesn't hold water. It screams of desperation. Doesn't it mean that god is punishing us by sending us to heaven when we die since there is no evil in heaven? Also, don't the doctrines of the major world religions call for an end to suffering and evil?

There are evils that have no good affect whatsoever, and sometimes they only serve to create more evil. For example, little children are raped and killed for senseless reasons and it only causes more suffering. Anyone who would be desperate enough to salvage their fictitious reality that they would believe that senseless murders of innocents was necessary for the greater good is spiritually poisoned and passively nihilistic.

Give me some examples of how 9/11 served a greater good that could not have been accomplished in a positive way?

You should read my post #120. You are confusing what is logically possible with what is actual. It may be improbable that this is the best of all possible worlds; but it is logically possible that it is. The original problem of evil tried to show it was logically impossible.
hue-man

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102151 wrote:
You should read my post #120. You are confusing what is logically possible with what is actual. It may be improbable that this is the best of all possible worlds; but it is logically possible that it is. The original problem of evil tried to show it was logically impossible.

OK, I understand that you're not arguing that it is actual or likely, but the counters to the problem of evil don't hold water.

Good does not necessitate evil, and I made that point with the example of the murderers and the boy scouts.

The idea that this is the best of all possible worlds and it would not be so without evil doesn't hold water for a number of reasons. For starters, that would mean that god is punishing us by sending us to heaven instead of reincarnating us, because heaven has no evil. The same major religions that make this argument also pray for an end to suffering and evil, and their scriptures often promise this to them. It also assumes that the good cannot create a maximum state of goodness. It also negates the fact that the good that results from evil would not have mattered one way or the other if the evil hadn't have been there to begin with. For example, a law against hate crimes may be a good thing, but the law wouldn't have mattered if there weren't any hate crimes to begin with. If there were no hate crimes, the pain and suffering that results from them would not be, and the law wouldn't be needed. The law also doesn't balance the pain and suffering that resulted from the hate crimes, and the hate crimes continue even after the law has passed.
Persona phil

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:00 am
@Alan McDougall,
Simply put, as it has been many a time:

If it holds true that a being such as this "God" fellow exists, he is either not as powerful as he would like us to believe or he is unwilling.

That is my position on the matter.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:07 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;102160 wrote:
OK, I understand that you're not arguing that it is actual or likely, but the counters to the problem of evil don't hold water.

I don't think so. But I don't know what you mean. I am arguing that Leibniz's reply was a reply to the logical problem of evil, and not really to the empirical problem of evil. And that to discuss whether it is actually true that this is the best of all possible worlds is off the topic. The question is whether it is logically possible that that this is the best of all possible worlds, supposing God created it. And this addresses the charge that it is not logically possible that this is the best of all possible worlds, supposing God created it. It is important to make the distinction between what is logically possible and what is probable or actual.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:49 am
@Persona phil,
Persona;102161 wrote:
Simply put, as it has been many a time:

If it holds true that a being such as this "God" fellow exists, he is either not as powerful as he would like us to believe or he is unwilling.

That is my position on the matter.

Your position seems to exclude some other options.

Assuming the existence of God, one could also suggest that He is indeed as powerful as credited . . . and that He has a plan.

Where were you when He was creating the Universe?

What can oppose God's Will?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:56 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;102179 wrote:
Your position seems to exclude some other options.

Assuming the existence of God, one could also suggest that He is indeed as powerful as credited . . . and that He has a plan.

Where were you when He was creating the Universe?

What can oppose God's Will?

That's the argument God gives to Job. That is the might makes right argument. Is that argument all right when God makes it?
TickTockMan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:19 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102183 wrote:
That's the argument God gives to Job. That is the might makes right argument. Is that argument all right when God makes it?

I would suppose that if one fully embraces the belief in an all-knowing and all-powerful God, one would have to accept the argument, or deny one's own faith by rejecting the argument, by essentially saying God is wrong.

But if God is wrong in this particular instance, then all of God's handiwork comes under question. But that, of course, makes the assumption that one might be correct in one's belief that God is wrong, which, of course, could be an erroneous belief.

It seems like there's a scent of Pascal's Wager in the air at this point.

Not being a scholar though, it's likely I'm in error.

I think an underlying question of "Why does God permit evil," might just as well be "Can we know God's mind?"
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:27 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;102191 wrote:
I would suppose that if one fully embraces the belief in an all-knowing and all-powerful God, one would have to accept the argument, or deny one's own faith by rejecting the argument, by essentially saying God is wrong.

But if God is wrong in this particular instance, then all of God's handiwork comes under question. But that, of course, makes the assumption that one might be correct in one's belief that God is wrong, which, of course, could be an erroneous belief.

It seems like there's a scent of Pascal's Wager in the air at this point.

Not being a scholar though, it's likely I'm in error.

I think an underlying question of "Why does God permit evil," might just as well be "Can we know God's mind?"

Why would an argument from might instead of right be any more cogent if God made the argument than anyone else? All He is saying is, "because I say so". Go back to the Euthyphro thread. Is what is right, right because God says it is right, or does God say it is right because it is right?

Why? The question is how can God be good and all-powerful, and there be evil? That has nothing to do with what God is thinking.
TickTockMan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102194 wrote:
Why would an argument from might instead of right be any more cogent if God made the argument than anyone else? All He is saying is, "because I say so". Go back to the Euthyphro thread. Is what is right, right because God says it is right, or does God say it is right because it is right?

I would not say that the might is right argument is correct. There are some who would, which is all I meant to note.

As a child, I got the parental "because I said so" argument quite often. I rarely thought they were right, but in retrospect I see that they often were.

In this regard, if we take the approach that we are all God's children, is it possible that the logic of the "because I said so," argument, while certainly open to debate, is largely irrelevant as we as His children can't possibly hope to understand His logic?

I had not followed the Euthyphro thread. It seems interesting. I'll spend some time on it this weekend. Thanks for pointing it out to me. My apologies if I am hammering away at something that has already been covered in that thread. If you want to suggest I shutuppa my face until I have read through it, I'm fine with that.

kennethamy;102194 wrote:

Why? The question is how can God be good and all-powerful, and there be evil? That has nothing to do with what God is thinking.

I'm not sure what you mean. If there is evil, wouldn't it follow that God thinks there is a need for it? If God created this "best possible world" wouldn't He have had to think about it?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:08 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;102197 wrote:
I would not say that the might is right argument is correct. There are some who would, which is all I meant to note.

As a child, I got the parental "because I said so" argument quite often. I rarely thought they were right, but in retrospect I see that they often were.

In this regard, if we take the approach that we are all God's children, is it possible that the logic of the "because I said so," argument, while certainly open to debate, is largely irrelevant as we as His children can't possibly hope to understand His logic?

I had not followed the Euthyphro thread. It seems interesting. I'll spend some time on it this weekend. Thanks for pointing it out to me. My apologies if I am hammering away at something that has already been covered in that thread. If you want to suggest I shutuppa my face until I have read through it, I'm fine with that.

I'm not sure what you mean. If there is evil, wouldn't it follow that God thinks there is a need for it? If God created this "best possible world" wouldn't He have had to think about it?

People produce all kind of terrible argument. The arguments are still terrible.
Even if you parents were right, that is no reason to think that the argument is right. A true conclusion can be backed up by a lousy argument.

Once we say we "cannot understand God's logic" we have given up on rational discourse. Then, everything is up for grabs.

The Euthyphro dilemma is central here.
TickTockMan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102199 wrote:
People produce all kind of terrible argument. The arguments are still terrible.
Even if you parents were right, that is no reason to think that the argument is right. A true conclusion can be backed up by a lousy argument.

Once we say we "cannot understand God's logic" we have given up on rational discourse. Then, everything is up for grabs.

The Euthyphro dilemma is central here.

Yes. I believe you are exactly right with everything you say here.

I find the argument of "we cannot understand God's logic so we might as well give up thinking/worrying about it, let go of the reins, and leave it all in God's hands" to be completely unacceptable.

As an aside, if you knew what I do for a living, I think you'd be amused. As am I, quite often.

But speaking of which, I'm at work right now so I can't do much more than skim the Euthyphro thread, but I will give it more time this weekend.

TTM
0 Replies

stew phil

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
@Shlomo,
Shlomo;102114 wrote:
That is exactly what He is doing. We are being perfected in this imperfect world and the evil has a role in this process. Yes, I am sure I have a grasp of that problem as I live accordingly, and it works.

Let me be absolutely clear: I refer to the next world, not to this one.

So I take it you are referring to the Irenaean theodicy, where God's purpose is not to construct a paradise in this world, but rather, a means towards a perfect end (supposing an afterlife in the next world). Essentially, this world is a place of creative "soul making." Would you call that description accurate?

I do not disagree that this theodicy shows with some plausibility the need for an im perfect, person-making world. However, my problem is whether it justifies the actual extent of human suffering, e.g. the gigantic evils of the Jewish Holocaust, Rwanda Genocide, cancer etc. You may attribute that to the moral wickedness of human action, but still, can such a painful creative process leading to an infinite good be the expression of a morally perfect, divine goodness? Assuming we even need a divine command theory to reach moral goodness?

Of course I am expecting a yes answer here from you, but for the religious skeptic, the problem of evil has not been sufficiently resolved.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:53 pm
@stew phil,
stew;102209 wrote:
So I take it you are referring to the Irenaean theodicy, where God's purpose is not to construct a paradise in this world, but rather, a means towards a perfect end (supposing an afterlife in the next world). Essentially, this world is a place of creative "soul making." Would you call that description accurate?

I do not disagree that this theodicy shows with some plausibility the need for an im perfect, person-making world. However, my problem is whether it justifies the actual extent of human suffering, e.g. the gigantic evils of the Jewish Holocaust, Rwanda Genocide, cancer etc. You may attribute that to the moral wickedness of human action, but still, can such a painful creative process leading to an infinite good be the expression of a morally perfect, divine goodness? Assuming we even need a divine command theory to reach moral goodness?

Of course I am expecting a yes answer here from you, but for the religious skeptic, the problem of evil has not been sufficiently resolved.

If it could be shown that a world without the Holocaust would be less good than a world with the Holocaust, it might.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:10 pm
@Alan McDougall,
kennethamy wrote:

Of course, if there is no God, then there is no problem of evil

Even if there is a God, there need not be a problem of evil. Once again the argument assumes much too much about God for it to be worthwhile to analyze. Well, not worthwhile in my eyes - as you noted, I'm just not interested in this.

Quote:

You just are not interested in the problem of evil. But even an atheist can be (and have been) interested in it. It poses an interesting logical problem of whether God's goodness and power can be reconciled with the existence of evil

I am not a strong atheist. That is, I do not believe that God doesn't exist, I just don't believe in God. As far as "ism's" go, I most closely relate to ignosticism when speaking about "God".

With that said, sure, this poses an interesting logical problem if we assume all of these metaphysical notions about God, but let it be known that "God" doesn't have to have these metaphysical notions applied. There are many notions of "God", just to be clear, and some do not flirt with this "perfectly good" quandary.

Quote:

And besides, atheists ought to be interested in the problem if only because it question of how there can be a God in the fact of evil has always been thought to be one of the main arrows in the atheist's quiver.

I don't know what you mean by this. I have "evil" in my quiver? Personally, I don't believe evil has anything to do with God existing or not existing. God doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with morality. And, as far as this "problem" is concerned, I still don't understand it. Because, well, I haven't a clue what "perfectly good" means. What does "perfect" here mean - are we sure it means that God can do no evil? Well, according to Catholic and Christian texts, God can, can't he (he did kill tons of people, including babies)? There are many things unclear here. For one, who is judging the "good" and "evil" voiced in the argument? What notion of "God" are we speaking about? We can't just say "God" and have a meaningful discussion without further clarification. Have we attempted to grasp what these omni- properties really entail? Can we even? Do we know what we're saying when we say "good" exists or "evil" exists? Why do we assume God is logical? Why do we assume God has human foibles and considers, has intentions, thinks, plans, and does such things humans do?
stew phil

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102123 wrote:
But, whatever Leibniz really believed, it is pretty clear that his theodicy only shows that it is not impossible (self-contradictory) for this world to be the best of all possible worlds along with evil. That is what is called the logical problem of evil. The argument had been that there was a logical contradiction in the supposition that a good, and all powerful God could create a world with evil. Leibniz shows only that there is no logical impossibility in this supposition. Not that it is in fact, true.

My point is, which is in parallel to Kant's view, is that it might be a stretch to say all non contradictory concepts are possible. This is a major assumption, and in some ways it amounts to a sense of hyperrationalism. So perhaps the logical possibility that Leibniz supposes is questionable.

---------- Post added 11-06-2009 at 12:22 PM ----------

kennethamy;102211 wrote:
If it could be shown that a world without the Holocaust would be less good than a world with the Holocaust, it might.

And can you actually show that? Or should we all proceed on the supposition that it might be possible? Is that good evidence to justify such a belief?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102214 wrote:
Even if there is a God, there need not be a problem of evil. Once again the argument assumes much too much about God for it to be worthwhile to analyze. Well, not worthwhile in my eyes - as you noted, I'm just not interested in this.

I am not a strong atheist. That is, I do not believe that God doesn't exist, I just don't believe in God. As far as "ism's" go, I most closely relate to ignosticism when speaking about "God".

With that said, sure, this poses an interesting logical problem if we assume all of these metaphysical notions about God, but let it be known that "God" doesn't have to have these metaphysical notions applied. There are many notions of "God", just to be clear, and some do not flirt with this "perfectly good" quandary.

I don't know what you mean by this. I have "evil" in my quiver? Personally, I don't believe evil has anything to do with God existing or not existing. God doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with morality. And, as far as this "problem" is concerned, I still don't understand it. Because, well, I haven't a clue what "perfectly good" means. There are many things unclear here. For one, who is judging the "good" and "evil" voiced in the argument? What notion of "God" are we speaking about? We can't just say "God" and have a meaningful discussion without further clarification. Have we attempted to grasp what these omni- properties really entail? Can we even? Do we know what we're saying when we say "good" exists or "evil" exists? Why do we assume God is logical? Why do we assume God has human foibles and considers, has intentions, thinks, plans, and does such things humans do?

"Perfectly good" implies minimally (at least) that God would do no gratuitous evil. And that is enough to launch the logical problem of evil. For the following three statement seem to form an inconsistent set:

1. God is perfectly good
2. God is omnipotent

3. There is evil.

It looks as if at least one of the above statements has to be false. They cannot all be true.

If that is so, then the atheist has a perfect shot against the existence of the traditional God of Jewish, Christian, and Islamic religion. It is the chief weapon in atheology. The concept of God would be self-contradictory. Like a square-circle.

Leibniz's theodicy, if correct, shows that the concept of God is not self-contradictory. We are talking about the most popular and believed concept of God in the world. That seems to me to be of some interest.

---------- Post added 11-06-2009 at 03:33 PM ----------

stew;102215 wrote:
My point is, which is in parallel to Kant's view, is that it might be a stretch to say all non contradictory concepts are possible. This is a major assumption, and in some ways it amounts to a sense of hyperrationalism. So perhaps the logical possibility that Leibniz supposes is questionable.

---------- Post added 11-06-2009 at 12:22 PM ----------

And can you actually show that? Or should we all proceed on the supposition that it might be possible? Is that good evidence to justify such a belief?

All non-contradictory concept are logically possible. And that is by definition. And, logical possibility is what is at issue. Not "real possibility". I have no idea what Kant could mean by that-if he said it.

I am sorry. I don't understand your question. No, I cannot show it is true. But there is no reason that I know of to think it is not possible.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:44 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Kennethamy wrote:
1. God is perfectly good
2. God is omnipotent

3. There is evil.

It looks as if at least one of the above statements has to be false. They cannot all be true.

If "perfectly good" means as you say, I don't know why any Christians, Jews, or Muslims would think number one is true. As far as I know (and this is 8 years of Christian school talking), in the Biblical texts, God has done evil (or do we just not call it evil when God does it? whatever the case, he did kill many people). And, I think it could be perceived as a gratuitious amount of evil. Hell, it's gratuitious compared to any humanly standard!
kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:53 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102221 wrote:
If "perfectly good" means as you say, I don't know why any Christians, Jews, or Muslims would think number one is true. As far as I know (and this is 8 years of Christian school talking), in the Biblical texts, God has done evil (or do we just not call it evil when God does it? whatever the case, he did kill many people). And, I think it could be perceived as a gratuitious amount of evil. Hell, it's gratuitious compared to any humanly standard!

But Christians, etc. do not believe that God can do gratuitous evil (evil just for the hell of it). A lot of evil has occurred, and God permitted it, but not gratuitously. If he did, then God could not be perfectly good. What makes you think the evil was gratuitous? In any case, you should now have a better idea of what "perfectly good" means, even if you don't believe God is perfectly good.
0 Replies

stew phil

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:57 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102219 wrote:
No, I cannot show it is true. But there is no reason that I know of to think it is not possible.

Sure it's possible, I did not say it was not. But does that make itgood justification for you to go on e.g. lead your life and believe it is true.