Why does God permit evil????

kennethamy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:14 pm
@ACB,
ACB;121228 wrote:
God could intervene to stop the flu shot from hurting the child. Or he could just do the obvious, i.e. eliminate flu.

Yes, He could. But that is not the point. Why doesn't God intervene to prevent the doctor from giving the flu shot. Can we stick to that for now? Then, after you have replied to that, we'll go on to your question. Fair?
ACB

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 04:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121345 wrote:
Why doesn't God intervene to prevent the doctor from giving the flu shot.

Because that might result in the child getting flu, which would be a bad thing. But why does flu exist in the first place? That brings us to my question.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 05:41 pm
@ACB,
ACB;121372 wrote:
Because that might result in the child getting flu, which would be a bad thing. But why does flu exist in the first place? That brings us to my question.

So, the answer to the question is that the pain to the child is permitted for a good which could not have occurred unless the pain occurred. I have no idea why the flu exists in the first place, but how is that relevant? The Leibnizian answer is, of course, very much like that to the former question. But that we cannot see it. However, whatever you think about that answer, the main point is that it is possible for God to permit an evil necessary for a compensating good. And that, of course, is the answer to the logical problem. Of course, whether it is true that all evils are necessary evils for a good which could not occur unless the evil occurred, is a different (but related problem). And, that is the Leibnizian answer to the question, why does flu exist in the first place.
xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121386 wrote:
So, the answer to the question is that the pain to the child is permitted for a good which could not have occurred unless the pain occurred. I have no idea why the flu exists in the first place, but how is that relevant? The Leibnizian answer is, of course, very much like that to the former question. But that we cannot see it. However, whatever you think about that answer, the main point is that it is possible for God to permit an evil necessary for a compensating good. And that, of course, is the answer to the logical problem. Of course, whether it is true that all evils are necessary evils for a good which could not occur unless the evil occurred, is a different (but related problem). And, that is the Leibnizian answer to the question, why does flu exist in the first place.
The question is relevant because you see flu as evil. If its evil then why does god allow it? Your answer does not give reason it only excuses the fact, you have changed the conditions of evil. You are making a contradictory statement, evil is good for its own sake, if god was all powerful the need to have evil for good purposes would not be necessary.
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:21 am
@xris,
xris;121470 wrote:
The question is relevant because you see flu as evil. If its evil then why does god allow it? Your answer does not give reason it only excuses the fact, you have changed the conditions of evil. You are making a contradictory statement, evil is good for its own sake, if god was all powerful the need to have evil for good purposes would not be necessary.

XRIS we live in dualistic reality, thus we have life and death, love and hate, peace and war, positive and negative, light and dark, etc etc If God did not allow evil both natural (Acts of God) and those of man, just think how our reality would change?

If god were to take away all evil, then he must take away our free will or a great deal of it. We humans actual like evil that is why we like TV crime, horror, anything bad . removing all things bad from our reality, we would have to love everyone we meet, not make any mistakes as a mistake no matter how small could hurt a fellow human. How would we ever learn anything if so much of our present reality became impossible?? How would we ever find true meaning and purpose in a world were every act we perform must be approved by god?

The bible clearly states that God created evil for some inscrutable purpose that maybe only he knows. I think there are two forces at work in the world good and evil and we are free to choose one or the other. If we did not know evil we would not know what goodness and righteousness is would we xris?

God doesn't budge--he doesn't change things right now--because he's giving us what we asked for: a world where he is absent and unnecessary

"Alternate viewpoint below by Author Unknown" (Stored in one of my word documents Alan's Comment)

What or who could make this world different than the way it is? What or who could guarantee that life is pain-free, for everyone, all the time?

God could. God could accomplish that. But he doesn't. At least not right now. And we're angry with him as a result. We say, "God can't be all-powerful and all-loving. If he were, this world wouldn't be the way it is!"

We say this hoping that God will then change his position on the matter. Our hope is that putting a guilt trip on him will make him change the way he's doing things. But he doesn't seem to budge. WHY doesn't he?

Evil, a God which is omnipotent and a God which is morally perfect; the problem of evil is the problem that revolves around the co-existence of the above. Arguably, when any two of these exist, it would be impossible for the third to co-exist. For if God is morally perfect, he would have created a world without evil. Yet evil exists, thus we are forced to conclude that either God is not morally perfect, or that he does not have the omnipotence to create a morally perfect world.

What is evil? The commonly adopted definition of evil consists of two sub-classes, physical evil and moral evil. Physical evils consist of diseases, pain, and natural disasters such as earthquakes, famine et cetera.

The problem of evil here is quite straight forward, why would a morally perfect God inflict such suffering on human kind if he had the power to prevent it. Moral evil, on the other hand, is the human capacity to perform evil actions. The question here is why an omnipotent God would allow humans to be capable of such deeds.

One of the theists' replies to the problem is the means-ends defense which claims that evil is required as a means to good. This defense is mainly used to explain the physical component of the problem of evil. The theists argue those evil (suffering) serves as a warning, a punishment and as a test.

Suffering exists to warn us of the consequences of morally evil actions. Punishment acts as an operant conditioner to discourage us from such evil actions.

Physical evil also trebles as a test. These three functions combined, serves to increase the amount of good in the world; and given that a morally perfect God would want to maximize the amount of good in the world, evil was required to exist as a means to greater good.

The problems with this defense range from the non-selective nature of some forms of punishment (earthquakes), to the question of whether the means (of justified ends) themselves require justification. But here, I shall touch on another problem: the speciesistic nature of the argument. The world, which God created, does not consist of the human kind alone. There are innumerable alternate forms of life in the world.

Most of these animals do not have the ability to understand or to heed warnings. Less-complex life forms do not even have the capacity to learn from punishment. Yet all life can and will experience death. Animals (and some plants) have sensory systems that are capable of experiencing pain.

Mammals and other higher-order animals have limbic systems with which to feel emotions such as stress and fear. Quite clearly all life forms are subjected to some sort of physical evil. The question is why? Why should these living things be cursed with the damnation of suffering when they are not even capable of making moral judgments?

Were these billions and trillions of other forms of life simply denied the goodness and benevolence of the morally perfect being? The point here is that since all life forms experiences suffering, the justification of evil must remain logically applicable to all sentience beings. The means-ends explanation fails thoroughly in this aspect.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:06 am
@xris,
xris;121470 wrote:

If evil is logically necessary for a particular good, then it would be impossible to have that good without that evil. God would then be faced with the choice of not having that good, or having that good and evil; a package deal. God chooses the package because there is more good in the package than there is in there being no evil. Illustration:we choose the pain and the protection from flu rather than no pain and no protection from flu, because the former contains more overall good than the latter. It is impossible to have the protection, but not the pain.

Now. if the above is true of God, we can see why evil is necessary. Of course, whether it is true of God is not a matter of reason, but a matter of faith.
xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:50 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121482 wrote:
If evil is logically necessary for a particular good, then it would be impossible to have that good without that evil. God would then be faced with the choice of not having that good, or having that good and evil; a package deal. God chooses the package because there is more good in the package than there is in there being no evil. Illustration:we choose the pain and the protection from flu rather than no pain and no protection from flu, because the former contains more overall good than the latter. It is impossible to have the protection, but not the pain.

Now. if the above is true of God, we can see why evil is necessary. Of course, whether it is true of God is not a matter of reason, but a matter of faith.
Your excusing the use of evil, you are making excuses for it. You cant make excuses for a supreme entity, it should not have the need to apply evil for any reason. I as I have said numerous times before the three are not compatible. God can give the protection without pain, he does not need to allow any suffering, if he is all powerful he can overcome any problem.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:56 am
@xris,
xris;121488 wrote:
Your excusing the use of evil, you are making excuses for it. You cant make excuses for a supreme entity, it should not have the need to apply evil for any reason. I as I have said numerous times before the three are not compatible. God can give the protection without pain, he does not need to allow any suffering, if he is all powerful he can overcome any problem.

It really depends on whether it is a valid excuse, don't you think? If something is logically impossible, and if having a good without an evil is logically impossible, and if God cannot do the logically impossible, then it is a valid excuse for God for Him to create a world with evil in it, that He could not create a world without evil in it which would be as good as a world with some evil in it. Isn't that (as you would say) "logical"?
xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:08 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121489 wrote:
It really depends on whether it is a valid excuse, don't you think? If something is logically impossible, and if having a good without an evil is logically impossible, and if God cannot do the logically impossible, then it is a valid excuse for God for Him to create a world with evil in it, that He could not create a world without evil in it which would be as good as a world with some evil in it. Isn't that (as you would say) "logical"?
Not in my perfect world. The word impossible is not part of an all powerful entities job description. You are reducing his abilities. The question was never about logic , it was about trying to make sense of nonsense.

I think this is the most perfect ice cream Ive ever tasted apart from that one last week. Well its not the most perfect one is it? its the second best. Its all words and no sense, we see questions and we make assumptions on what we think the question is, not what it is actually is saying.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:54 am
@xris,
xris;121491 wrote:
Not in my perfect world. The word impossible is not part of an all powerful entities job description. You are reducing his abilities. The question was never about logic , it was about trying to make sense of nonsense.

I think this is the most perfect ice cream Ive ever tasted apart from that one last week. Well its not the most perfect one is it? its the second best. Its all words and no sense, we see questions and we make assumptions on what we think the question is, not what it is actually is saying.

Logically impossible, not impossible. There is a difference. God can do anything that can be done. What is logically possible cannot be done. As long as God can do everything that can be done, God is omnipotent. Therefore, as Aquinas said, the inability to do the logically impossible does not detract from God's power. You just don't understand the difference between "impossible" and "logically impossible". Just think of it this way: to say that God is omnipotent is to say that God can do whatever can be done. That is why God is omnipotent, and we are not. He can do whatever can be done; and we cannot. We cannot do some things that can be done; God can do whatever can be done.
ACB

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121482 wrote:
If evil is logically necessary for a particular good, then it would be impossible to have that good without that evil.

I agree that God cannot do what is logically impossible. He cannot, for example, create a square circle, because "square" excludes "circle" by definition. But "perfect good" or "maximum good" does not exclude "absence of evil" by definition. So how could perfect or maximum good without evil be logically impossible?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:07 am
@ACB,
ACB;121509 wrote:
I agree that God cannot do what is logically impossible. He cannot, for example, create a square circle, because "square" excludes "circle" by definition. But "perfect good" or "maximum good" does not exclude "absence of evil" by definition. So how could perfect or maximum good without evil be logically impossible?

Well, I see what you mean. But Leibniz, (and many other philosophers) do no believe that only what can be "excluded by definition" is logically impossible. That view is the view that only and all analytic truths are logically impossible, and that seems to be false. For instance, it is logically impossible to be in two places at the same time. But that is not true by definition, is it? Or, consider, every event must have a cause. Supposing that is true, is it true "by definition". Leibniz (and other philosophers) believe there are necessary, but non-analytic (non-definitional) truths.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121507 wrote:
Logically impossible, not impossible. There is a difference. God can do anything that can be done. What is logically possible cannot be done. As long as God can do everything that can be done, God is omnipotent. Therefore, as Aquinas said, the inability to do the logically impossible does not detract from God's power. You just don't understand the difference between "impossible" and "logically impossible". Just think of it this way: to say that God is omnipotent is to say that God can do whatever can be done. That is why God is omnipotent, and we are not. He can do whatever can be done; and we cannot. We cannot do some things that can be done; God can do whatever can be done.
Sorry but whatever can be done can be done by god and if he is all powerful then nothing is impossible. You are once again restricting his all powerful ability. You are telling me it not logical to say all powerful.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:49 am
@xris,
xris;121563 wrote:
Sorry but whatever can be done can be done by god and if he is all powerful then nothing is impossible. You are once again restricting his all powerful ability. You are telling me it not logical to say all powerful.

No. I am telling you that to be all powerful is to be able to do anything that can be done. For instance, you and I are not all powerful because you and I cannot extinguish a star. So that is something that can be done that you and I cannot do. But God can extinguish a star. He can do anything that can be done. But logical impossibilities cannot be done. They are not actions. Therefore, since God can do anything that can be done, God is all powerful. Your first statement is true. And your second statement is false.
Krumple

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121566 wrote:
No. I am telling you that to be all powerful is to be able to do anything that can be done. For instance, you and I are not all powerful because you and I cannot extinguish a star. So that is something that can be done that you and I cannot do. But God can extinguish a star. He can do anything that can be done. But logical impossibilities cannot be done. They are not actions. Therefore, since God can do anything that can be done, God is all powerful. Your first statement is true. And your second statement is false.

The flying pink elephant can extinguish god so god is not all powerful, the flying pink elephant is.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121566 wrote:
Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree, I maintain that by stating all powerful you have determined his ability. You cant restrict the term by any means. If you restrict its power you have to be obliged to accept any restriction. If it created everything, then everything was determined by him, as creator you dont create something you have no power to change or to undermine your all powerful function. Even the flying pink elephant can not overcome his ultimate power. Your invention fails to describe the god questioned.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:47 pm
@xris,
xris;121591 wrote:
You cant restrict the term by any means. If you restrict its power you have to be obliged to accept any restriction. .

That's like saying that by saying that God knows everything that can be known, I have limited God's ability. God cannot know that 2+3=6. Does that mean that God cannot know everything that can be known? Does that restrict God's ability to know? Of course not. What is false cannot be known; not even by God. So what? Can God make the rape, torture, and murder, of a little girl right? Of course not. Does that restrict God's power? Of course not.
xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121597 wrote:
That's like saying that by saying that God knows everything that can be known, I have limited God's ability. God cannot know that 2+3=6. Does that mean that God cannot know everything that can be known? Does that restrict God's ability to know? Of course not. What is false cannot be known; not even by God. So what? Can God make the rape, torture, and murder, of a little girl right? Of course not. Does that restrict God's power? Of course not.
I think your being a little silly now. He knows that 2+3 does not equal 6 because he made it so. If he made it 2+3=6 then he would have made it so. If he fails to create evil in the first place then the question need not be asked. Its not like he allows it as a the creator of everything, he must have created it. You constantly try to reduce his ability. I will ask you again are we debating an all powerful god or one you see diminished in power and responsibility?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:07 pm
@xris,
xris;121606 wrote:
I think your being a little silly now. He knows that 2+3 does not equal 6 because he made it so. If he made it 2+3=6 then he would have made it so. If he fails to create evil in the first place then the question need not be asked. Its not like he allows it as a the creator of everything, he must have created it. You constantly try to reduce his ability. I will ask you again are we debating an all powerful god or one you see diminished in power and responsibility?

You think God could have made 2+3=6? How could he have done that? But you miss the point. The point is that God cannot know what is false, whatever it is. For example, God cannot know that Quito is the capital of Bolivia if Quito is not the capital of Bolivia (which it is not). And God cannot know that 2+3=6 (if 2+3 does not = 6). If he made it 6 he could know it was 6. But as it is, God cannot know that 2+3 =6 (unless he can make it 6). But then, he would not know that 2+3=5. You have to follow the argument.
xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121608 wrote:
You think God could have made 2+3=6? How could he have done that? But you miss the point. The point is that God cannot know what is false, whatever it is. For example, God cannot know that Quito is the capital of Bolivia if Quito is not the capital of Bolivia (which it is not). And God cannot know that 2+3=6 (if 2+3 does not = 6). If he made it 6 he could know it was 6. But as it is, God cannot know that 2+3 =6 (unless he can make it 6). But then, he would not know that 2+3=5. You have to follow the argument.
In the universe that this god is proposed created and with the ultimate power he is supposed to posses nothing is impossible and everything is possible. You can make up as many human relative questions as you please but you are not understanding that it could just be how he wished and it would for you be totally logical. Your doing it again failing to understand the meaning and the full extent of what all powerful really is.