Why does God permit evil????

xris

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 04:19 am
@prothero,
Sorry Proth but he appears like some romantic novel , plenty of scented words but very little substance. The purpose of this life is still obscured and difficult questions are side stepped by this misty mirage of incredibility. If you cant describe him in detail he does not exist, but thanks xris.
0 Replies

IntoTheLight

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 08:04 pm
@Alan McDougall,
This thread has become an absurd joke, namely because of all the Atheists (who don't even believe in God to begin with and have NO place to post in this thread!).

I"m done with it. Bye.

-ITL-
QuinticNon

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 08:18 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;101695 wrote:
Why does God permit evil?

It's all part of God's evil plan. All roads lead to Rome... even the rocky ones.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 08:21 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;107463 wrote:
This thread has become an absurd joke, namely because of all the Atheists (who don't even believe in God to begin with and have NO place to post in this thread!).

I"m done with it. Bye.

-ITL-

Hmm. I had no idea that only those who agree with you were permitted to post on this thread. Sorry.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:36 am
@IntoTheLight,

I"m done with it. Bye.

-ITL-
So your idea of debate is for like minded souls to sit around and agree with each other, how absurd. I have every respect for those who disagree with me. We fine tune our beliefs by communicating , its not a war but a journey to discover the truth.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:02 am
@IntoTheLight,

I"m done with it. Bye.

I find this interesting because if I run down my understanding of the posters here it seems a majority of them are either deists or theists or agnostics. There are only a few confirmed atheists who responded.

So since the majority are not actual atheists, such as xris who is agnostic. Who are these atheists who are ruining the thread?

Maybe I can analyze your statement for a second. Could it be perhaps that you have heard something here that has questioned the validity of your belief and now instead of confronting it, you are morning this new information with denial and rejection?

I am not a god rejectionist (yes I made up this word). Just give me something convincing and I'll be willing to concede. There is no convincing argument thus far that shows there is a life guard on duty.
prothero

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:41 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;107544 wrote:
. There is no convincing argument thus far that shows there is a life guard on duty.
There is no life guard on duty if you want a life guard go to the pool.
Trust in god but look both ways before you cross the street.
It is clear that if there is a god his purpose is something other than to preserve "your" life.Smile
xris

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:47 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107637 wrote:
There is no life guard on duty if you want a life guard go to the pool.
Trust in god but look both ways before you cross the street.
It is clear that if there is a god his purpose is something other than to preserve "your" life.Smile
So proth what does this god actually do for us?
prothero

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:58 pm
@xris,
xris;107639 wrote:
So proth what does this god actually do for us?
Makes possible your life and your mind. Brings forth order from the formless void and persusively influences the universe forward in the process of creative advance (acutualization of possiblity and formation of value). Human life is of value but it is not the ultimate or the only value. IMHO
xris

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:01 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107643 wrote:
Makes possible your life and your mind. Brings forth order from the formless void and persusively influences the universe forward in the process of creative advance (acutualization of possiblity and formation of value). Human life is of value but it is not the ultimate or the only value. IMHO
Im confused, he created me or made my creation possible. Your getting romantically vague again Proth.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 04:58 pm
@Alan McDougall,
20 mins ago
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - A strong earthquake hit the impoverished country of Haiti on Tuesday afternoon, where a hospital collapsed and people were screaming for help. Other buildings also were damaged.

How would free will explain this evil?
Psycobabble

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 05:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119481 wrote:
20 mins ago
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - A strong earthquake hit the impoverished country of Haiti on Tuesday afternoon, where a hospital collapsed and people were screaming for help. Other buildings also were damaged.

K, this is not evil it is fate. I believe that "evil" must have intent and the hand of man involved in the action.

---------- Post added 01-13-2010 at 09:14 AM ----------

I"m done with it. Bye.
-ITL-

Don't go......What of the agnostics, we need your side of the debate to hold our position of uncertainty. I have always thought that to be an atheist is as nonsensical as to believe all the religious texts that have come from the hand of man are valid....no one has certainty.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:02 pm
@Psycobabble,
Psycobabble;119483 wrote:
K, this is not evil it is fate. I believe that "evil" must have intent and the hand of man involved in the action.

---------- Post added 01-13-2010 at 09:14 AM ----------

Don't go......What of the agnostics, we need your side of the debate to hold our position of uncertainty. I have always thought that to be an atheist is as nonsensical as to believe all the religious texts that have come from the hand of man are valid....no one has certainty.

Why must evil be intentional? Isn't the death and suffering of scores of people evil, no matter whether it is intended or not? If it is fate, then it is an evil fate. It certainly (as you admit) is not caused by people. So it is not a consequence of free will. Therefore, the idea that free will can explain all evil is false. You seem to insist that all evil be moral evil. But there is no good reason for that, and discussions from Job to recent times of the problem of evil have included non-moral evils as evils. Consider Job and his boils. Those boils were not intentional or moral evils. But they were evils, nevertheless. And evil befell those poor people in the hospital in Haiti which collapsed as a consequence of the earthquake.
Krumple

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:15 pm
@Psycobabble,
Psycobabble;119483 wrote:
What of the agnostics, we need your side of the debate to hold our position of uncertainty. I have always thought that to be an atheist is as nonsensical as to believe all the religious texts that have come from the hand of man are valid....no one has certainty.

Your understanding is, just that, misunderstanding.

Some strong atheists will make the statement that god does not exist however they are not saying it with absolute certainty and that is where you are confused.

You can be a strong atheist by standing by the lack of evidence in the existence of ANYTHING. The flying pink elephant exists yet there are billions who don't believe in the flying pink elephant. Why?

I am one hundred percent positive that the flying pink elephant exists, so why is it that you do not believe in the flying pink elephant? If you do not believe then you are sentencing yourself to a miserable fate of the endless circus. Where clowns will torment you by pulling handkerchiefs from your nose and ears. You better accept, and repent, and quit eating peanut butter or your fate will be something terrible.

In all actuality EVERYONE is agnostic. Why? Because when we talk about agnostic, we are NOT talking about belief, instead we are talking about knowledge. Honestly NO ONE has knowledge of the existence of god and therefore everyone is agnostic. Does that make agnostic a valid position? Not in my opinion because it ignores the lack of experience, or observation.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:21 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;119540 wrote:

Some strong atheists will make the statement that god does not exist however they are not saying it with absolute certainty and that is where you are confused.

A person who asserts that some statement is true (or not true) need not be asserting that he is absolutely certain that the statement is true (or not true). That would be something additional, which he may, or may not assert. (By "absolutely certain" is meant, the impossibility of error).
0 Replies

Psycobabble

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119535 wrote:
Why must evil be intentional? Isn't the death and suffering of scores of people evil, no matter whether it is intended or not? If it is fate, then it is an evil fate. It certainly (as you admit) is not caused by people. So it is not a consequence of free will. Therefore, the idea that free will can explain all evil is false. You seem to insist that all evil be moral evil. But there is no good reason for that, and discussions from Job to recent times of the problem of evil have included non-moral evils as evils. Consider Job and his boils. Those boils were not intentional or moral evils. But they were evils, nevertheless. And evil befell those poor people in the hospital in Haiti which collapsed as a consequence of the earthquake.

K this is a well worn thread, I would launch into Thomas Aquinas rather than Job to pursue my point but it may well have been visited in the plethora of posts in this thread.....if it has not let me know and I will answer your rebuttal.

---------- Post added 01-13-2010 at 04:03 PM ----------

Krumple;119540 wrote:

That statement is incorrect, although I realize what you mean.

Quote:

Krumple why two words if the meaning is the same, I believe that agnostic is different from atheist, hence two differing words.

Quote:
In all actuality EVERYONE is agnostic. Why? Because when we talk about agnostic, we are NOT talking about belief, instead we are talking about knowledge.

Yes point taken, but the self surety of no god is atheistic and the wait for the knowledge is agnostic. Two different words with two different meanings.
Krumple

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 12:52 am
@Psycobabble,
Psycobabble;119570 wrote:
Krumple why two words if the meaning is the same, I believe that agnostic is different from atheist, hence two differing words.

I never said the meaning was the same, and the meaning is NOT the same. One is talking about belief where as the other is talking about knowledge.

Let's change the context a little. My favorite existing entity is the flying pink elephant. Do you believe that the flying pink elephant exists? Yes or no? Or do you take that the knowledge of the existence of the flying pink elephant is not enough to make a decision?

If you lean towards option B more than option A. Why?

If you are leaning more towards option B then EVERYTHING imaginable MUST also equal the existence of god as well. So the flying pink elephant is equal to the existence of god. You are no closer to knowing god exists than you are to knowing the existence of the flying pink elephant. Yet when it comes to the religious, they refuse to accept that both are equal when it comes to knowledge. The only difference is belief. You can claim you believe in one and not the other, but in reality you are not saying anything, just making a pick.

Psycobabble;119570 wrote:

Yes point taken, but the self surety of no god is atheistic and the wait for the knowledge is agnostic. Two different words with two different meanings.

Yeah and you know what, every single day you make assumptions based off the information you have at hand, yet you are completely ignoring this fact of life.

For example you want to cross the street, so you step to the corner and look both ways to see if there are any cars coming. But lets change this a little, let's make the cars invisible, but the danger of them is still real. Now can you safely cross the street? No, because you can't make the choice if it is safe to cross because the cars are not visible to you. So what ends up happening? You stand there uncertain when to go.

This is what people do but refuse to accept they are doing it. Change the context a little and it shows just how absurd such behavior is. You could assume that the cars were coming and tell people that you haven't gone across the street because there are cars preventing you but as soon as someone says point out the cars, you can't. So you are doing nothing but playing games.

Why do people play this game? Because they are afraid of the reality of existence. They don't want to end. They don't like the idea of having an ego that will terminate and never do anything else. That their existence will ultimately come to not. They want to believe they will exist for ever and that everything they cherish will always be with them. These fairy tales help to cushion that reality and until people accept the reality we will continue to be victims of religious dogma.
Caroline

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:06 am
@kennethamy,
Code:
kennethamy;119481 wrote:
20 mins ago

If we didn't have natural disasters the planet would be uninhabitable, it's a shame they did not have the equipment to predict it coming in this case. Buildings can also be built to withstand earthquakes, so whose fault is it?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 06:28 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;119602 wrote:
If we didn't have natural disasters the planet would be uninhabitable, it's a shame they did not have the equipment to predict it coming in this case. Buildings can also be built to withstand earthquakes, so whose fault is it?

You miss the point.I don't know whether earthquakes are necessary for people to inhabit the planet (I doubt it) and neither do you. But, let there be earthquakes. Only let God, who is all powerful and all good save people from the evil of death and mayhem. In any case, the death and mayhem which result from the Haiti earthquake are not the consequence of Man's free will, and Man's free will is not the cause of them. Don't you agree? Buildings can be built to withstand earthquakes (although I doubt all earthquakes). Let it be the fault of Man that they are not. But that is irrelevant because: 1. God could still rescue people, weak building or no weak building; and, 2. the earthquake is not the result of Man's free will.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 06:34 am
@Alan McDougall,
Actually earthquakes and hurricanes are necessary to make the planet habitable, if we didn't didn't have hurricanes there would be no heat exchange, if we didn't have earthquakes then the earth would be flat and nothing would grow or live.