Why does God permit evil????

xris

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 08:51 am
@kennethamy,
I recall a very good friend, a devout christian who gave me a back handed compliment. She remarked, that I was such a nice man, why was I not a christian and why did I not recognise god. I tried to explain, then desperately I asked her if I had walked past a man raping a child and remarked "its none of my business" , then left , what would you think of me? She looked puzzled, knowing I would not do such a thing. "God does that a thousand times a day and people like you have no idea why", I informed her.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 09:30 am
@Alan McDougall,
xris wrote:
I recall a very good friend, a devout christian who gave me a back handed compliment. She remarked, that I was such a nice man, why was I not a christian and why did I not recognise god. I tried to explain, then desperately I asked her if I had walked past a man raping a child and remarked "its none of my business" , then left , what would you think of me? She looked puzzled, knowing I would not do such a thing. "God does that a thousand times a day and people like you have no idea why", I informed her.

What was her response after you informed her, xris?
Michel

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 09:31 am
@xris,
xris;103297 wrote:

God says it's none of his business?

---------- Post added 11-13-2009 at 10:38 AM ----------

kennethamy;103281 wrote:
Well, consider just a single case of a child dying painfully of cancer. Presumably God can work miracles, so He can cure the child. Instead, the child dies in agony. God is responsible (maybe not for the cancer) but for not ameliorating it. (The same, by the way, is true of the concentration camps).

God is responsible in the sense that he must be accountable for how he acts? Or God is responsible for that child's death? Even if we say that God is responsible for that child's death, it does not clearly mean that God is culpable for that child's death nor does it clearly mean that God did not do as he ought to have nor that His benevolence requires Him to save that child's life.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:27 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;103306 wrote:
What was her response after you informed her, xris?
The usual blank expression and an inability to answer. I suppose its better than a lot of waffling academic Christians revert to.
prothero

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:48 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;103247 wrote:
But I am still having trouble understanding what this means. How could God prevent it? Is God supposed to materially intervene? Or is it a matter of there being something wrong with the nature of the world that these things can happen? There are millions, or billions, of people living in absolute poverty - how is God responsible for that? It seems concommitant with the 'argument from free will' that, in fact, human beings could ameliorate many of these evils, but do not. Human beings were, after all, wholly and solely responsible for the concentration camps. So - what would the 'power to prevent' this suffering consist of? Is it not the case that we have been given the power to prevent a great deal of it, yet we choose not to exercise it?

I think your problem (my problem too for that matter) is that you do not conceive of the divine as the omnipotent, omniscient, entity postulated in the classical problem of evil or traditional western theology. The discussion somehow got directed off into the classical problem of evil and pretty much ignores any other conception of the divine. In fact if god is not omnipotent or omniscient then the problem of evil either disappears or is significantly ameliorated. Evil becomes an inherent feature of the world not part of some divine plan or an exercise of divine will. In fact divine will is in the creation of value and oppossed to chaos and the formless void.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 03:33 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Not at all. Perhaps I do have a problem with 'entity', or for that matter, any other designation, or even the indefinite, or definite, article, 'the' God, or 'a' God. But the real problem I have is that, even fully cognisant of the so-called 'problem of theodicy' is that at the end of the day, the argument seems to me to imply that so long as there is suffering, there cannot be a God, because God is all powerful and all good, so why can anyone suffer?

You can say, well, suffering might be reduced. But it will always be the case that one person will suffer more than some other. If any suffering exists at all, it is inconceivable that could be shared with complete equity among all beings. So either every child would have to get a disease, which is ridiculous, or no child would ever get a disease, which is impossible. (And of course I do understand how agonising it is to see a loved one struck down with some terrible illness.)

Going back to John Hicks, in his essay on this very topic Who or What is God? He observes that the 'literal idea of divine intervention' is a common justification for atheism:

Quote:
The central aspect of this prevailing concept of God, on which I want to focus, is divine activity in the course of nature and of human life. God can and does perform miracles, in the sense of making things happen which would not otherwise have happened, and preventing things from happening which otherwise would have happened. These interventions are either manifest or - much more often - discernable only to the eyes of faith. But it is believed that God does sometimes intervene in answer to prayer. The Bible, and church history, and contemporary religious discourse are full of accounts of such occasions. And prayers of intercession in church and in private devotion presuppose that God at least sometimes operates on earth in these ways. Otherwise, what is the point of those prayers? And how often have we heard in the media someone telling of their miraculous escape when, for example, they survived unhurt in a car crash in which the two others were killed, or even more dramatically how a soldier in war was saved by wearing a medallion which stopped the bullet that would have killed him, or how when a family were at their wits end in some terrible dilemma something unexpectedly happened to save the situation? Or there was recently the American who on winning $5 million in the US lottery said, 'I just praised God and Jesus'. Of course most of those who speak like this today, in our pervasively secular age, are not using the word "miracle" in a religious sense but merely as an expression of wonder and relief. Likewise "Thank God for that" is usually no more than an expression of heartfelt relief. But seriously devout believers who give God thanks for a lucky escape, or for recovery from a serious illness, or for the resolution of some problem, do often believe that they have experienced a divine intervention on their behalf, a miracle which confirms and strengthens their faith and evokes gratitude to God.

It is this serious and literal use of the idea of divine intervention that concerns us here. The problem that it raises has led many to atheism. If, for example, in the car crash case, God intervened to save only one of the people in the car, who then gave God thanks for a miraculous delivery, this implies not only that God decided to save that person, but equally that God decided not to save the other two. It presupposes that it is, so to speak, okay from God's point of view to intervene whenever God so chooses, and this inevitably poses the question why God intervenes so seldom, leaving unprotected the great majority of innocent victims of natural disasters and of human cruelty and neglect? Some years ago the atheist philosopher Anthony Flew wrote, 'Someone tells us that God loves us as a father loves his children. We are reassured. But then we see a child dying of inoperable cancer of the throat. His earthly father is driven frantic in his efforts to help, but his Heavenly Father reveals no sign of concern.' ("Theology and Falsification", reprinted in John Hick, ed., The Existence of God, p. 227). And given the biblical and traditional assumption that God does intervene miraculously whenever God so decides, one can understand why this belief has led Flew and many others to atheism. It is this implied picture of God as arbitrary, protecting some but not others, and thus as deliberately leaving so many in pain, hardship, misery and peril, that is so repugnant to so many people. If there is such a Being, why regard Him (or Her) as good and as worthy of worship, except by the chosen few who benefit from the special divine interventions?

The problem arises from the belief that it is, as I put it, okay from God's point of view to intervene on earth whenever God chooses. Suppose, however, that, regardless of whether or not it is within God's power to intervene, it is for some good reason not okay from the divine point of view to do so. Suppose this would be counter-productive from the point of view of a creative purpose which requires both human freedom (which is directly or indirectly the source of much the greater part of human suffering) and also elements of contingency and unpredictability in the evolution of the universe.....

Hicks goes on to present a cross-cultural perspective by drawing upon the insights of many different faiths, including Mahayana Buddhism, which has no explicit 'God' idea whatever, Hinduism, and various aspects of the Christian mystical tradition. It is difficult to compress his argument to a few paragraphs and I think it is worth reading in full. But one of the conclusions that I take from it, is that all our ideas of God are ultimately incorrect, anthropomorphic, and provisional. We can have them, and build doctrines and practises on them, but they are always partial, incomplete, and often self-contradictory. And actually, this has nothing to do with God. It is because of the inherent limitations of the human mentality.

So in a conversation such as this, we all feel we know what we are talking about when we use the word 'God'. To some extent we do, in that if we have a common universe of discourse, we will all signify the same 'intentional object' by the word, so we can converse about it. But the 'divine nature' is completely beyond human reckoning. So I really see this kind of accusatory attitude to the Deity as a regrettable type of hubris. We are in no position to bargain, and in so doing, we are continually digging ourselves into a deeper hole. "Look old chap, you're just not doing what we would expect of you!"

It should be remembered that the greatest of all Western theologians, Thomas Aquinas, had an acute spiritual crisis at the end of his career (during which, it might be remembered, he wrote upwards of 5 million words!) Scholars are divided as to what caused this crisis, whether it was an organic disorder or epilepsy or some other malady. But history does record him saying, when he emerged from one of these episodes:

Quote:
'Compared to what I have seen, everything I have written seems as straw'.

We would do well to remember that. All theology, all philosophy, is provisional and indeed can be very useful and edifying, if used in the sense that Wittgenstein prescribed, as a ladder to ascend our verbal confusion, whereafter it might be discarded.

Sorry I have become too polemical but it is just an area where I think that democratic modernism has really gone completely off the track. We need to show humility, which is not servility or grovelling or whatever the ego will inevitably depict humility to be, but an awareness of how very limited our knowledge is.
prothero

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 08:37 pm
@jeeprs,
[QUOTE=jeeprs;103373]So I really see this kind of accusatory attitude to the Deity as a regrettable type of hubris. We are in no position to bargain, and in so doing, we are continually digging ourselves into a deeper hole. "Look old chap, you're just not doing what we would expect of you!"[/QUOTE]
jeeprs;103373 wrote:

It should be remembered that the greatest of all Western theologians, Thomas Aquinas, had an acute spiritual crisis at the end of his career ...

We would do well to remember that. All theology, all philosophy, is provisional and indeed can be very useful and edifying, if used in the sense that Wittgenstein prescribed, as a ladder to ascend our verbal confusion, where after it might be discarded.

Sorry I have become too polemical but it is just an area where I think that democratic modernism has really gone completely off the track. We need to show humility, which is not servility or groveling or whatever the ego will inevitably depict humility to be, but an awareness of how very limited our knowledge is.
I agree any conception of the divine and any assertion of knowledge of the divine will should be held from a position of humility.

None the less I think it is human to speculate about the nature of the divine and divine will. Perhaps not just human but necessary; for to say that knowledge of god and divine will is simply beyond human understanding or comprehension is to create a vision of god which offers no explanation and no guidance. Such a vision cannot be the basis of any meaningful religion.

The problem of evil is a major cause of atheism, a major cause of loss of faith and a major source of spiritual crisis. It deserves some response more than "god works in mysterious ways". The whole problem hinges on a particular vision of god as all knowing and all powerful. My argument is that vision should be reconsidered especially in view of our modern notions of the world. The earth is not the center of the universe, man is not the crown of creation, and life has developed over billions of years, multiple evolutionary dead ends and suffered repeated mass extinctions in which most life vanished. This vision is not the vision of the all powerful, all knowing god of classical theism. Yet, the classic problem of evil is based on exactly that classical vision of "god".
jeeprs

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 12:39 am
@prothero,
prothero;103570 wrote:
None the less I think it is human to speculate about the nature of the divine and divine will. Perhaps not just human but necessary; for to say that knowledge of god and divine will is simply beyond human understanding or comprehension is to create a vision of god which offers no explanation and no guidance. Such a vision cannot be the basis of any meaningful religion.

I beg to differ. Such a vision has been the basis of entire religious cultures. There is plenty of precedent in both traditional Western and Eastern Orthodox theology (not to mention Indian religions) for the transcendent nature of the divine and the fact that the Divine is beyond human knowledge. Yet, in Christianity, while the divine is transcendent and surpasses human knowledge, He has revealed himself, in the person of Jesus (and I am not here speaking as a Christian but from my understanding of what I understand as the orthodox view).

In many of the philosophically spiritual teachings of the Churches (more typical perhaps of the pre-modern age) there is an implicit idea of the 'a higher knowledge' or 'spiritual vision' by which the religious aspirant comes to an deeper understanding of the divine nature. Indeed some of the great spiritual classics of Western civlization speak of just such a 'knowledge which knows nothing' and of a 'peace that passes understanding'.

And I do detect a danger in your approach. Karen Armstrong's Case for God argues that the modernist tendency to try and make a 'reasonable case' for the existence of God, has, in fact, been one of the main reasons why theology has consigned itself to irrelevance - not through being too mystical, but by being too explicit.

It certainly seems to me that it is hard to imagine the Deity of which you speak being something to which 'the weary heart aspires', so much as a fellow-traveller on a road which, in the absence of some higher destiny, appears endless. If God has indeed 'entered into' the realm of existence, does He nonetheless retain the attribute of Deity as being beyond all suffering and change? If you accomodate suffering by saying 'well God suffers too', then isn't it possible that your depiction of the divine nature falls short of the mark, by translating it into terms which you understand, at the expense of an understanding of the transcendent nature of the divine?
prothero

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:02 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;103585 wrote:
It certainly seems to me that it is hard to imagine the Deity of which you speak being something to which 'the weary heart aspires', so much as a fellow-traveller on a road which, in the absence of some higher destiny, appears endless. If God has indeed 'entered into' the realm of existence, does He nonetheless retain the attribute of Deity as being beyond all suffering and change? If you accomodate suffering by saying 'well God suffers too', then isn't it possible that your depiction of the divine nature falls short of the mark, by translating it into terms which you understand, at the expense of an understanding of the transcendent nature of the divine?
I think there is an inconsistency in insisting that the divne must be conceived of as all knowing and all powerful while at he same time insisting that the divine must transcend human thought, language and comprehensive.

If one is to insist that humility and human ignorance should prevent one from speculating about the nature of the divine then all specualtions seem inappropriate but that is almost never the case. In fact we all work with some conception.

I was raised in the Chrisitan church but was unable to accept the traditional orthodox conception of an all powerful all knowing supernatural entity. I spent several years in a more agnostic or even atheist orientation. Only recently have I adopted a more theistic stance. The particular conception I suggest would doubtless not suit all but it is not an unusual stance in modern theology. There doubtless is no single approach to the divine or conception of the nature of the divine which will suit all. I frequently suggest it is more important to share values than to share metaphysics. I also suggest there are many roads to Chicago and many paths to god.

For me it is not possible to reconcile the classical notions of an all powerful, all knowing entity with the extent of evil and the history and nature of the universe as we know it. I am not sure the mystics and those who speak of ineffable mystery of the divine believe in supernatural intervention or the classic orthodox medieval scholastic view of the divine nature and divine action. I think you would be hard pressed to find Karen Armstrong referring to god as all powerful and all knowing as opposed to just "being". So I am not objecting to divine mystery or divine transcendence, I am just objecting to the classical orthodox supernatural conception.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:42 am
@Alan McDougall,
Well said. Perhaps a difference of emphasis as much as anything. I should stop banging my drum and go back to meditation practise. That is where the rubber hits the road (whichever road it is:bigsmile:)

---------- Post added 11-15-2009 at 09:34 PM ----------

I should add, in all of this, my concern is mainly practical, in that evil is something which to some extent I am responsible for, even if it is of an apparently inconsequential nature in one's own case. And often it seemed that I had no control over this, there were certain pre-dispositions which had, apparently, a life of their own. So it became a matter of learning how to combat this type of evil in oneself, which seems to me, the whole point of spiritual practise or religion in the true sense, unlike what it has almost always been in society, namely, a means of exercising control over large numbers of people or joining a power structure or re-inforcing the status quo. But if it is actually a reflection of your own predicament in relation to what you understand as your maker, then it becomes a very practical concern, a matter of learning something very specific which is used to address a real issue. I think this is what people generally need to get from their practise or faith or whatever they call it, otherwise it is not very useful and really rather 'pie in the sky' as religion often is.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:19 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;103592 wrote:
Well said. Perhaps a difference of emphasis as much as anything. I should stop banging my drum and go back to meditation practise. That is where the rubber hits the road (whichever road it is:bigsmile:)

---------- Post added 11-15-2009 at 09:34 PM ----------

I should add, in all of this, my concern is mainly practical, in that evil is something which to some extent I am responsible for, even if it is of an apparently inconsequential nature in one's own case. And often it seemed that I had no control over this, there were certain pre-dispositions which had, apparently, a life of their own. So it became a matter of learning how to combat this type of evil in oneself, which seems to me, the whole point of spiritual practise or religion in the true sense, unlike what it has almost always been in society, namely, a means of exercising control over large numbers of people or joining a power structure or re-inforcing the status quo. But if it is actually a reflection of your own predicament in relation to what you understand as your maker, then it becomes a very practical concern, a matter of learning something very specific which is used to address a real issue. I think this is what people generally need to get from their practise or faith or whatever they call it, otherwise it is not very useful and really rather 'pie in the sky' as religion often is.

It seems to me that we can speculate intelligently about why God would permit evil. But not on why God does permit evil.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 11:43 am
@xris,
xris;103324 wrote:
The usual blank expression and an inability to answer. I suppose its better than a lot of waffling academic Christians revert to.

xis look at it this way, "God being totally fair" has given "us all" a "free will without any reservations". If God intervened and stopped the child molester, he would have intervene in any and every depraved act done by we humans, and the only way he could do this is remove totally the precious gift of free will, and turn us into slave robots.

The child rapist will one day stand before God where his reprobate evil act will be played back to him in three dimension and real time. In the afterlife there is hell like realms and heavenly realms, he will go to where he belongs, surrounded by persons worse that he was in life, it is "Bird of a feather over there!!!

Maybe he will be raped for eternity!!
Justin

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 12:00 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;103640 wrote:
xis look at it this way, "God being totally fair" has given "us all" a "free will without any reservations". If God intervened and stopped the child molester, he would have intervene in any and every depraved act done by we humans, and the only way he could do this is remove totally the precious gift of free will, and turn us into slave robots.

Alan, who's telling you this stuff? First of all, isn't the concept of God beyond our comprehension?

Alan McDougall;103640 wrote:
The child rapist will one day stand before God where his reprobate evil act will be played back to him in three dimension and real time. In the afterlife there is hell like realms and heavenly realms, he will go to where he belongs, surrounded by persons worse that he was in life, it is "Bird of a feather over there!!!

Maybe he will be raped for eternity!!

That's the God I know. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Your assuming these events above based on a pre-conceived notion of God (deity). This is beginning to sound a lot like many of the religious notions out there and there are many... Which one exactly are you prescribing too?

Fact is, nobody really knows. We can all claim we know something but heck, we don't even know ourselves so how is it we can know this God you are speaking of. Wow, a lot of religious brainwashing is what I'm seeing in all this. Where one man brainwashes multiples.

Again, GOD didn't create evil. Man is the creator of evil. And when men hold fast to their beliefs and notions of a God that has been passed down through generations, they seemingly lose sight of what or who God really is because they've already come a conclusion.

I think people, (humans) are easily led and manipulated by other humans, which explains why 99% of this worlds population continues to live in the dark ages. When we, collectively start taking responsibility for our actions and the evil in the world, then we, (collectively) will begin to see the light of what God is. Until then, we will just continue wandering in the dark, grasping hold of any idea that makes sense, following in the footsteps of those who took the path before us.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 12:29 pm
@Justin,
Justin;103641 wrote:
Alan, who's telling you this stuff? First of all, isn't the concept of God beyond our comprehension?

That's the God I know. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Your assuming these events above based on a pre-conceived notion of God (deity). This is beginning to sound a lot like many of the religious notions out there and there are many... Which one exactly are you prescribing too?

Fact is, nobody really knows. We can all claim we know something but heck, we don't even know ourselves so how is it we can know this God you are speaking of. Wow, a lot of religious brainwashing is what I'm seeing in all this. Where one man brainwashes multiples.

Again, GOD didn't create evil. Man is the creator of evil. And when men hold fast to their beliefs and notions of a God that has been passed down through generations, they seemingly lose sight of what or who God really is because they've already come a conclusion.

I think people, (humans) are easily led and manipulated by other humans, which explains why 99% of this worlds population continues to live in the dark ages. When we, collectively start taking responsibility for our actions and the evil in the world, then we, (collectively) will begin to see the light of what God is. Until then, we will just continue wandering in the dark, grasping hold of any idea that makes sense, following in the footsteps of those who took the path before us.

Hi Justin yes God in my opinion is beyond human comprehension, but we are not beyond God comprehension. Thus God can reveal aspects and attributes of himself in a way we mere human mortal can understand

Is it impossible to separate religion from God? I have had a mystical experience due to a near death episode some years ago. I base my statement that the rapist will have his whole life replayed to him in minute detail in what is called the "life review" Millions of people have had this experience, of course you are most likely going to say it was a disillusion brought of my my brain undergoing oxygen starvation etc, but it was more real and vivid than this life.

Persons experiencing a NDE life review state that they experience the effects/affects of their earth life, both as if the were the other person they enacted with during life. So they feel the pain and humiliation objective, that they have inflicted on every person they have come into contact during life. Imagine Hitler undergoing a life review

Of course they also feel any joy etc objectively, in the same manner as the bad things they did in mortal life

The NDE was not brought on by some religious superstition or belief because it lacked any religious component.I am aware that this is not a near death experience forum the only reason I mentioned it was due to the fact I had both beautiful heavenly experiences as well as horrific hell like episodes during the life threatening trauma

We are accountable for our actions in this earthly life, our free will allows us free reign in how to control our lives, I could go outside and murder people like the Sniper who was put to death the other night, God will not stop me
Pangloss

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 12:35 pm
@Justin,
Justin;103641 wrote:

Yes, we need to stop blaming or praising God for the actions of humans, and start to take some responsibility. Certainly if God does exist, he has empowered us to know good and evil, thus we have the ability to direct our actions and lives accordingly. God does not need to intervene, as we have the tools to make our own way. We are responsible for both the good and evil things that we do, and God could be seen as a concept by which we understand good and evil...but he is passive, and not responsible for either, in a world where humans have free will to act.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 12:45 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Thanks Alan for sharing that and I do realize many people have NDE. I too had one but I wasn't near death, I was proclaimed dead. Pulse stopped, heart stopped... DEAD! But I came back. - That's another topic.

We take our beliefs to our graves. So long as the electricity is still in our brain, it keeps feeding the senses. We can actually relive past experiences as those experiences are like frames in a movie film. Each frame can be vividly produced and put together to create our movie. This stuff is all stored in our internal file cabinets and when re-experienced, it's through recollection, not because God is showing us our entire lives. Our lives flashing before us is talked about in parallel to NDE's so when someone does have an NDE, they sort of expect this type of thing to take place.

There have been all kinds of NDE's and all kinds of different stories stemming from them. If you believe one of them, you might as well believe them all because again, they are just like religion. Each has it's own unique perception of God or the experience and each is unto it's own. So it's really no different.

It's back to evil and God. One having nothing to do with the other yet we're questioning why One allows or permits the other. Human nature, isn't it wonderful... it's almost as if we have limited sight distance.

I'd also like to add that EVERYTHING we see and do in this world is recorded and stored and can likewise be brought back and relived as if we were there again. Many people do this exact same thing without realizing it.
xris

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:25 pm
@Justin,
If you proclaim god exists you are compelled to describe him and his attributes. If you dont you might as well say fairies exist, as I do, at least I can describe my fairies.

Humanity is not to blame for the sins and errors it performs, it acts by its nature and strives to rise above these failings. Does the tiger have a choice in its victims? it kills to survive. We are becoming more and more aware of our errors but it has nothing to do with a dysfunctional invisible god. Seek a creator but dont imbue him with human or false descriptions. The god of scriptures is blinkered and cowardly fool , who has no concern for his creation. He is an enigma that so many faithful are determined to admire but have no idea of his description.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:37 pm
@Justin,
Justin;103644 wrote:
I'd also like to add that EVERYTHING we see and do in this world is recorded and stored and can likewise be brought back and relived as if we were there again. Many people do this exact same thing without realizing it.

Are you referring to the Akashic Record?
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:34 am
@xris,
xris;103659 wrote:
If you proclaim god exists you are compelled to describe him and his attributes. If you dont you might as well say fairies exist, as I do, at least I can describe my fairies.

Humanity is not to blame for the sins and errors it performs, it acts by its nature and strives to rise above these failings. Does the tiger have a choice in its victims? it kills to survive. We are becoming more and more aware of our errors but it has nothing to do with a dysfunctional invisible god. Seek a creator but dont imbue him with human or false descriptions. The god of scriptures is blinkered and cowardly fool , who has no concern for his creation. He is an enigma that so many faithful are determined to admire but have no idea of his description.

xris the God of the scriptures especially YAHWEH of the Old Testament is cruel, but to equate human depravity and evil with a tiger going about a tigers business is taking the analogy a bit far.

If I look for God in humans then Jesus is the best example to me. Of course we do not need a Devil to blame our evil acts on, or a God to tell us how to be good, we humans are capable of acting out those attributes without the help of any spiritual agent. God if he exists allows evil he does not create it

There is death and life, hate and love, war and peace, dark and light, positive and negative, these are realities that God in his wisdom must allow for us to develop into viable beings. It is no necessary to describe his attributes to realise the truth of these facts.

The process that God uses is that of lowering us into a state of existence that teaches us the pairs of opposites. Good and evil; light and darkness; life and death; up and down; hot and cold, etc. It is axiomatic that everything finds its own definition in its opposite. We tell a baby, 'don't touch that it is hot', but it is not until that baby actually touches the hot burner that it begins to comprehend what 'hot' is.
0 Replies

TurboLung

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:08 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;101695 wrote:
Hi,

"I am aware that there have been previous threads along this line, but I wrongly posted it as a statement instead of a question"

Did God create evil as a way of realising goodness?? God is supreme and the ultimate in accountability for good and evil is his (The buck really really stops with him)

Why did God stand back and do nothing during the holocuast?

Why does God permit natural catastrophes like the tsunami that killed 250 thousand people recently?

Why does God create an entity like a virus that does nothing but kill its host?

Etc Etc

Answer by Atheists; There is no God.

Answer by religious group; If God stepped in, then, we would not have the ultimate gift - freedom of choice (Although, he did seem to stick his nose in on people's affairs all the time in the Old Testament...).

My answer; I am agnostic, so, don't relly know if we will ever know if there is a God. My guess is that we are either a by product of a higher being (God) who may not even know we exist or, we are in some dream or program and when we die we "come to" and realise where we are.