What if Hitler had never been born or had been assasinated

Aedes

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:48 pm
@james gravil,
James, I appreciate your post. You and I agree more than we disagree, particularly on facts. You're quite well read on the subject, but so am I, and in my reading on the subject I stand firmly by the judgements that you contest. If my responses below appear incredulous or snarky, keep in mind that I respect your erudition and the effort in your response, however much or little we may disagree with one another.

james_gravil;75460 wrote:
Hitler was in fact an outstandingly gifted and successful leader and tactician, at least in the early days of the War
You mean like during the Battle of Britain? What kind of gifts did that show?

You're judging his brilliance by what, his invasion of Poland? By his marches into Vienna or Prague? By his invasion of Greece? By his invasion of Yugoslavia? Or even into a militarily bereft Russia? By his invasion of a militarily backwards France that was sending soldiers on horseback against the Panzers? Against a France that never thought to fortify its border with Belgium? Hitler was audacious, but come on a tactician? Guderian, Hoth, von Runstedt, and others deserve the lion's share of the credit for that. He was a decent strategist early in the war, only because he knew that Germany could not win a sustained war, so the concept of quick overwhelming victories became central to military planning. It worked in little countries with technologically and tactically backwards armies, like France and Poland.

A fair number of Hitler's own generals thought he was a military idiot, and sometimes referred to him as the 'Lance Corporal', referencing the highest military rank he ever actually achieved.

Let us not forget, he gained tremendous victories against France and Poland, the two countries capitulating in only four weeks and six weeks respectively - with France possessing the largest army and one of the strongest air-forces in Europe, more than a match it is now believed for the Nazi Army in its early days
The victory over Poland was "tremendous"? It was fast -- but big deal, Poland's army was insignificant. France was neither prepared for war technologically nor tactically, and their failure to consider an invasion through Belgium is one of the greatest military blunders of all time (especially since much of WWI was fought there).

I don't dispute that they were overwhelming victories. But we're not talking about Chancellorsville, or Trenton, or Stalingrad, i.e. battles in which the brainpower of the leaders were instrumental in victory -- Poland and France were grossly asymmetrical battles.

dwarfing the achievements of previous conquerors like Napoleon
Which one of the two of them captured Moscow again? :listening: The only time German soldiers ever set foot in Moscow was when they paraded 50,000 German POWs through the Moscow streets after Operation Bagration in 1944.

His Blitzkreig, 'Lightning Warfare'
Hitler did not come up with blitzkrieg!! If anyone deserves credit for blitzkrieg it was Guderian -- whom Hitler utterly undermined in France before Dunkirk, in Russia before Moscow, and in the defense of East Prussia and Berlin. Hitler claimed it was his own brainchild -- but he got the idea from Guderian and von Runstedt. Of course Hitler claimed a lot of things.

Blitzkreig was a revelation at the time, an unexpected change from the mud-filled trenches of the Great War
That's news to me, seeing as it was employed at the Battle of Cambrai in 1917, by Pershing in the Battle of Amiens, it was independently developed by the brilliant but purged Soviet general Mikhail Tukhachevskii in the 1930s, and it was used by Zhukov (partly from Tukhachevskii's influence) at the Battle of Khalkin Gol against Japan in 1939.

What had NOT been developed at the time was effective antitank defensive tactics -- which is something that the Soviets never really got until the Battle of Moscow, and never really employed in a mature way until Kursk.

both Britain and France failed to perceive the danger of an *aggressive* Germany, complacent in their English Channel and Maginot Line.
That much is true, and Stalin was even more at fault for failing to prepare for the quite obvious invasion plans.

Although Hitler himself was probably not the first to conceive of this style of warfare, he was certainly the first to pioneer it, and put it to such effective and dramatic use.
Does audacity and drama equate with greatness? I think not.

Within a few years of the start of the War ... Churchill's Britain alone remained defiant
A few years? Hitler invaded the USSR less than 2 years after the start of the war.

The first few months of Hitler's invasion of Russia were a tremendous success, eclipsing the success of Napoleon's armies more than a century before.
Hardly. Napoleon captured and occupied Moscow. That's not something Hitler was ever able to brag of.

The Luftwaffe destroyed more than one third of the Soviet Union's air-force on the ground within the first few days, and the German army advanced hundreds of miles into Soviet territory.
If you haven't read them, I'd suggest you read a few of the books that I've read (I posted a thread about this somewhere), particularly "The Road to Stalingrad" and "The Road to Berlin", by Erickson, which is a roughly 1200 page study of Soviet military strategy before and during WWII. The calamitous invasion of the USSR was as much a consequence of Stalin's refusal to accept intelligence about a German invasion, his refusal to do anything 'provocative', his failure to arm, his politicization of military command, and his purge of more than 20,000 veteran Red Army officers. And then his refusal to allow troops to withdraw from imminent encirclements, which led to the capture (and death) of more than 3 million Red Army troops in the first year of the war.

If Moscow had fallen, it seems likely that the Soviet Union would have collapse
That is highly doubtful for three reasons. First, Japan committed itself to war against the USA, which freed up Stalin from having to defend against Japan in the east. Second, Stalin had already evacuated the majority of Soviet industry to the Urals, so they were able to not only maintain but scale up war production after the massive German victories in 1941. Third, as Stalin discovered, Germany had no chance to win a war of attrition against the USSR, and the ability of the USSR to keep on bleeding the Wermacht over time, even at ungodly (and often unnecessary) costs of their own, made the outcome a foregone conclusion after the Battle of Moscow, even though there was a lot of fighting in front of them.

Hitler's greatest error was in trying to do too much all at once, without paying heed to tactical considerations. He wanted to seize the Southern Caucasus, with its food supplies and rich oil fields, essential to the war effort - yet many of his generals believed he should concentrate his forces on Moscow instead, and deliver the death blow to Russia quickly. Hitler, however, ignored these suggestions, and plunged ahead mercilessly. This, in my opinion, was the real turning point of the War.
I largely agree with this. His delay in launching Barbarossa, and later his defensive stance of Army Group Center, made the Battle of Moscow a winter battle which was exactly what he did not want.

Stalingrad merely sealed the deal.
In 1941 Hitler was able to launch a three front campaign with Army Groups North, Center, and South. North was largely effective except for capturing Leningrad. South was dramatically successful, with their complete capture of (and virtual extermination of) the Ukraine with the exception of Sebastopol. Center was an abject failure.

In 1942, Hitler could only launch a one front campaign, against the Caucasus and Stalingrad.

In 1943 Hitler could not launch a campaign at all, and was only able to launch one major offensive, the abortive and disastrous one at Kursk.

In 1944 Hitler's armies were absolutely decimated on all fronts in the USSR, plus Normandy happened midway through it.

All attrition. And all because of hubris.

Hitler WAS a great strategist, at least in the beginning: that no one can deny.
I deny it. How does making a treaty for the purpose of breaking it evince great strategy? How does terror bombimg of London while sparing RAF airfields and industry evince great strategy? How does launching a two front war evince great strategy? How does devoting several armies worth of troops to genocidal campaigns against civilians evince great strategy? He was ultimately a strategic moron, who got his chance to shine because his enemies were so unprepared in the beginning that he was able to trade distance for time.

He tactically had brilliant generals, who won overpowering victories when allowed to operate as they chose. He had a dunce in Goering, and his army leaders like Jodl and Keitel were obsequious snails, but his field generals were strong and the opposing armies tactically terrible. But in my judgement this evinces one major advantage he had over Stalin -- Stalin had killed most of his good generals, veterans of WWI and of the civil war, but Hitler hadn't.

It is easy to simply dismiss the man as 'mad' or 'power-crazy' - these are generic terms - but that would be doing him a disservice.
It is just as easy to point out glaring strategic blunders that he committed from day one to disabuse the erroneous notion that he was a great leader but a terrible person. Hardly. He was a terrible leader too.

Finally, as for Stalin - it wasn't that Stalin 'got better' as the War went on (that's a gross simplificaton)
Yes, it's an oversimplification made for the sake of not making excessively loquacious posts, but it's easy to support that assertion with ample evidence if you'd like.

rather he was willing to allow some of his most trusted generals (Zhukov particularly) to take over the reins of power, and chose not to direct on a personal level
Yes, and this improved as the war went on. Hence, he "got better". His management in 1941 was historically abominable. His management at Moscow was a nonentity, but it was Zhukov's shining moment. His counteroffensive in 1941-1942 was waaay overreaching and unrealistic. His defense of Stalingrad was brilliant, but credit lies with Chuikov, with Zhukov, with Rokossovsky, with Yeremenko, etc. His counteroffensive (Operation Saturn) was better than the previous year but still overambitious. And then Kursk was a stroke of genius on ALL parts, particularly Stalin's because for the first time in the war he showed restraint -- he was willing to take a defensive tactic as part of an offensive strategy. And the battles in 1944, esp Bagration, were the greatest victories in the entire war.

---------- Post added 07-06-2009 at 09:59 PM ----------

RDRDRD1;75462 wrote:
It's unclear that any other leader would have scapegoated Germany's Jews as Hitler did. I suspect an intelligent, nationalist leader would have appreciated their inherent loyalty to the German state and utilized their considerable talents and resources.
Probably true, though by the early 1920s the Nazi Party had antisemitism at its core, so any leader of that party would have followed along that line. Whether they would have been genocidal is a different question. Himmler, Heydrich, Rosenberg, and Goebbels very likely would have been. Goehring and Hess maybe not, even if they were functionally complicit in it.

RDRDRD1;75462 wrote:
Don't forget, German Jews served the Kaiser very faithfully in the first war.
Absolutely -- even the SS were more charitable to German Jews than they were to the "ostjuden".

RDRDRD1;75462 wrote:
Hitler's decision was to go to war but he can hardly be credited for Guderian's tactics. It was Hitler's foolishness that allowed British and other forces to escape at Dunkirk, hardly evidencing any strategic brilliance.
Exactly. Guderian went to his grave bitter about this, bitter about Hitler's delays before Moscow, and bitter about Hitler's preparations for the Battle of Berlin. And Guderian was the best that Hitler had.

RDRDRD1;75462 wrote:
As for his stunning success in invading Russia, you omit some relevant facts. Hitler allowed himself to be distracted by Greece, creating a fatal vulnerability by delaying his attack on Russia. As for his initial successes, he was pushing on an open door. Stalin had left his country all but helpless to defend itself, refusing right to the last minute to believe all credible intelligence that he was about to be attacked. That the Germans made great initial gains was almost predestined but that hardly speaks to any strategic brilliance on the part of Hitler.
Spot on.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:39 pm
@RDRDRD1,
H James welcome to you and a really great way to bounce off in this forum which is a real great one, and you will find out if you hang around long enough.

Quote:
James wrote

Hitler WAS a great strategist, at least in the beginning: that no one can deny. It wasn't that he lost his tactical ability over the years, rather it became blinded by paranoia, obsession and greed. Had Hitler kept a firm grip on affairs, history might have transpired otherwise. It is easy to simply dismiss the man as 'mad' or 'power-crazy' - these are generic terms - but that would be doing him a disservice. His weaknesses are qualities we all share, in some degree; but how many men (or women) have there been who were once considered 'great', but somehow lost it along the way, and became pitied in the end rather than admired? A very relevant recent example springs to mind - Michael Jackson. You can't deny that he was a great singer and performer, but there was no doubting that his personal life (not to mention his eccentricities) got in the way of his performance. Was he any less of a great entertainer by the end of his life? Maybe not - but people thought of him differently. THAT's why people look as Michael Jackson as a pitiable character now, not the legend he once was.

James my reading of history is that Hitler "at first left" the stratifying to his generals. I know he concocted the excuse for invading Poland by having some prisoners put in German uniforms and murdered near the Polish border.

Late in the war he was dismissing his generals by the day and "eventually took command of the entire German army" and it is then that things really began to go wrong for the German war machine. Smile
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:05 am
@Alan McDougall,
Wouldn't have the atomic bomb been discovered by someone else?
The cold war was alot of things including an arms race and peace treaties as the solution, (there was no point anyway because of total annihilation due to nuclear weaponary). It was still a war.
Caroline

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:19 am
@Alan McDougall,
Isn't destruction a part of war?
0 Replies

james gravil

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:26 am
@RDRDRD1,
This is quite a fascinating discussion. It's nice to be able to blog on the subject, it's better than holding a verbal discussion in some ways because it allows one the luxury of considering and evaluating his responses before submitting them, and better than writing an essay because it allows the thrust and parry, to-and-fro of a moving debate, between many people across many countries representing many different attitudes of the War. Are there any Americans in this forum? I'm British myself, but I imagine the Americans have a very different attitude towards the European War - my understanding is that America's 'personal' crusade in WWII was first and foremost against the Japanese, because of their treachery at Pearl Harbour, even though the bulk of their war effort was directed against Germany. Ironically many Americans did not harbour real 'enmity' towards the Germans, because they had not been directly attacked by them (there were very few US civilian casualties in the War, and most of those were caused by the Japanese), in much the same way that the British in the First World War felt more hatred towards the French, their traditional enemies, than their Teutonic cousins.
This subject was the basis of my final year Dissertation (Sheffield Hallam University, BA Modern History), and I'm quite proud of my understanding of the subject, having read books my many authors - currently I am reading Churchill's four volume account of the Second World War, and Max Hastings' "Armageddon" is a favourite too - however I do not claim to possess a bullet-proof, absolute knowledge of the many aspects of the War. I expect challenge and criticism, in my opinion there is no such thing as a 'flawless' argument and there will always be commentators and detractors, that is the point of historical debate. There are so many aspects to the War and so many areas to consider that no single, individual argument could remain uncontested for long and the best thing we can hope for is to entertain as many viewpoints as possible. And the subject warrants a good deal more discussion, elaboration, knowledge and information than I have at my disposal. So please, feel free to point out my deficiencies wherever possible!

First of all - yes, Hitler did make mistakes. He made many mistakes, and much of the time he didn't seem to learn from them. So did Churchill, for that matter. Ever heard of the Dardanelles fiasco in WWI? That should have sunk his career and his reputation faster than the fleet which he sent to its doom. Churchill is remembered, however, primarily for his successes, his achievements, his inspiration, NOT for the mistakes he made. At least Churchill was humble and intelligent enough to learn from them. Hitler was certainly intelligent - even if his intelligence was dimmed by obsession and frustration in the later years - but humility was not one of his qualities, it seems. Had he been willing and able to learn and improve from his mistakes, rather than drawing the German Army on its relentless path to destruction, he might well have won the War, though the whole world might stand against him. I stand by my argument (the central point of my thesis) that if the Soviet Union had collapsed in 1941 or 42, German victory would have been all but certain. (The reasons are too many and too complicated to bring up here; if you want to however I will pursue them in another thread.) Britain would eventually have capitulated, having being forced to fight on alone and now facing the full strength of German firepower; and the US, distanced as it was from Western Europe, and deprived of a base from which to launch its operations, would have been unable to do anything but stand by and watch as Germany consolidated its power on the continent. The German failure to capture Moscow in 1941, and the later disaster of Stalingrad, were the two points of no return: before this, Hitler *might* have had a chance of succeeding. One catastrophe, as always, leads into another.
(I stress *might* - there are so many variables, so many possibilities and unknowns that it is impossible to know for sure. I will, however, maintain that the fall of Moscow would have made the Soviets' war effort unsustainable: Stalin and his forces could have retreated and regrouped their forces behind the Urals, as they did indeed do, but it is hard to imagine the Red Army recovering from such a blow. The encirclement of Moscow was the biggest operation in military history, dwarfing Stalingrad, the Battle of Normandy, even Operation Bagration three years later. Stalin himself was determined not to relinquish the capital, at whatever cost; it was the seat of the Soviet government and its loss would have been a massive blow to morale.)

Aedes, you commented before that audacity does not equate with 'greatness'. That I will challenge. Take Churchill for example, widely regarded as a military 'genius' and great leader. His greatest, indeed most memorable quality was his audacity - his stubborn willingness and belief that Britain COULD fight on alone, against the odds; that even surrounded and beaten down there was still a hope for that tiny island, a hope of final victory, though many victories and many changes must surely come before it. Hitler too was audacious, if not in the same manner. His audacity encouraged him to take gambles, which as I pointed out before led to his some of his greatest downfalls, but also some of his greatest triumphs. (The ill-fated decision to take as wide a sweep into in Russia as possible, for instance, rather than concentrating his forces in a knock-out blow on Moscow.) Also I refute your argument that France was militarily 'backward' and therefore presented no difficult foe for Germany. *Strategically* backward, perhaps - France felt safe and secure behind its protective Maginot Line, and believed that no foe could penetrate its eastern wall in force. It also thought (wrongly, as it turned out) that a war with Germany would form of a defensive struggle, drawn-out like the battles of Passchendaele and the Somme in the First World War. It did not anticipate Hitler's Blitzkreig movement into France and a crushing six week campaign. THAT, surely, was an audacious move - France at the actually possessed the largest army in Europe, albeit not the most motivated (Hitler in 1939 and 1940 was still building up his strength, Britain and the US were notably lagging); and many spectators thought that it would take him much longer to overrun France. Both Britain and Russia were taken aback by the success of these lightning campaigns, so much so that this might even explain Britain's unpreparedness for 'Operation Sea-Lion' in 1940, and Stalin's refusal to square up with facts in 1941 - both had expected to have much more time to prepare before Hitler made his move. In these early days of the War, audacity was Hitler's greatest strength, and also up to a point his greatest hope, as Germany did *not* at this time possess an army strong enough to overwhelm its opponents; the impression of its strength was far greater than the reality. Now a more conservative, thoughtful leader than Hitler might have opted for a different path, and it seems reasonable that he would therefore have longer to realize his goals. Perhaps this would have been for the better, for Germany anyway; equally, however, it could have been detrimental. An extra year or so would have given Stalin time in which to prepare for the inevitable assault on Russia, and in the event this could have been decisive. (By the way Stalin *knew* that it was coming; in one conversation with his foreign minister, just after the signing of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, he declared that he and Hitler were playing 'a great game', a dangerous game, and it remained only to be seen who would make the first move; he was biding his time and preparing for the difficult struggle that lay ahead. The argument used by some that Stalin was completely unprepared for Hitler's betrayal is poorly founded; he failed however abysmally in anticipating the timing.)

Even Hitler, in fact, was surprised by the extraordinary good fortune of his early successes - hence the 'Phoney War' that followed the defeat of France, in which not much happened. Hitler had not properly planned his next move. He was not looking forward to war with Britain; rather he hoped the British Government was stand aside. These things point to Hitler being as much an opportunist as a planner; if one thing can be said of his leadership it is that he was very good at seeing opportunities and taking advantage of them. Again, these were gambles - sometimes they led to significant victories, and sometimes to frustrating defeats. Hitler's drive towards the Southern Caucasus is a perfect example and encapsulates both - his seizure of Kiev, one of the main-food producing regions of the Ukraine, signaled a heroic triumph for Germany ('the beginning of the end' for Russia, as he believed), but also cost him significantly in time, men and resources which might have been better deployed elsewhere. In the long term, this was not a gamble that paid off. In the short term, however, it severely hampered the Soviet Union's war effort: many Soviet soldiers and citizens were already freezing; the loss of a major agricultural region was a serious blow.
Interestingly, this audacity, this opportunism were qualities Stalin appears to have lacked in the early stages of the War. He failed to respond adequately to the German invasion in the summer and autumn, even after recognizing that the Wehrmacht *was* in fact making a concerted defeat to defeat him, and even after the successful winter counter-offensives (which prevented the Germans from securing their toe-hold near Moscow and taking the capital, a crucial victory), it took him a long time still to properly seize the initiative. Even afterwards there were set-backs, any one of which might have proved fatal - if not to Stalin or to the Soviet Army itself, perhaps to their fighting morale. Stalingrad was, of course, the decisive 'turning-point' of the Eastern Front after this - a Pyrrhic victory for its namesake, but an unmitigated disaster for Hitler - however victory for Russia was still by no means certain after this; the Allies might have already won 'the War', but there were many battles to be fought after this, and a serious misstep at any point on the way might have changed Stalin's fortunes.

At the end of the day, perhaps Hitler was simply 'lucky' to begin with and rather less fortunate as the years went by. Perhaps he was not well-equipped, physically, mentally and emotionally, to deal with the demands of total war and the various set-backs which plagued his later campaigns. Perhaps he did not have the 'mettle' to cope with defeat after defeat. How many commanders DO rise from the ashes of their defeats and come out greater than before? All these are valid points; but there can be no denying that Hitler WAS successful in his early campaigns, extraordinarily so, and his subsequent ill-decisions and ill-fortunes do not change the fact.

Yes - Hitler did indeed (to quote Alan McDougall) 'stratify' his rule, and his subordinates, from Donitz to Rommel to Guderian, were the ones who fought and won the battles. They deserve as much of the credit, if not more. Perhaps I confused 'tactician' with 'strategist' before. It is an easy mistake to make; I shall remember that in the future. Hitler was, however, the Fuehrer, the overall director of Germany's grand strategy, and seldom in any of his decisions was he unopposed - even the ones that turned out victories for Germany! He knew what he wanted, and most of the time he followed his own counsel, even against the suggestions of his advisors and sometimes counter to standard military doctrine. In my mind, this is as much the mark of a great leader as of a flawed leader. Sometimes the majority do not always know best; standard doctrine is not always the best answer or the best solution. Nearly all the Allied leaders, in some measure and at some time, are guilty of the same thing - Churchill, Stalin, Roosevelt, Patton, Montgomery; the list goes on: all of them refused logic and advice and made their own decisions. As with Hitler, sometimes this resulted in Allied disasters (Operation Market Garden), sometimes in victories - Montgomery in the Battle for El Alamein was regarded as something of a maverick, Patton's 'leadership' was often called into question; both of them were instrumental in the victories in France and Normandy. My point is, going AGAINST the advice of your counsellors can be as much a blessing as a curse - unless your counsellors are uniformly more gifted, knowledge and informed than you are! (In 1944 and 45, this WAS the problem with Hitler; he had lost the grasp of the War and believed in imaginary armies coming to save him which did not, in fact, exist. But beforehand, his gambles did occasionally pay off.) When we describe the victors, we often use terms such as 'decisive', 'single-minded', 'unwavering' - by their context these are implied to be virtues, and not weaknesses. Applied to the losers, however, they have negative connotations: the same words, but different meanings!

It has been said before, and has become something of a cliche, that if Hitler HAD succeeded in realizing his goal of world domination, he would most certainly have gone down in history as a great leader and mover of men, and the blemishes of his conquest would have been eclipsed by the magnitude of his achievement. The same argument can be applied to Napoleon, Alexander the Great, just about any other 'great' leader who has ever lived. Initially successfully, dramatically so, at some point they all fell afoul of their vision, and were in the end defeated; and the people who had spoken of them with admiration beforehand would ever afterwards speak of them in terms of shame and ignominy. To borrow an old axiom, the higher one climbs, the farther one falls. Although Hitler even in 1940 had his share of critics, even among his closest disciples, the world was obviously awed by his achievements and a great many people and nations entertained an almost inflated idea of his abilities. Too often his 'god-like' status among the German people is put down simply to Nazi propaganda, but this does not explain it: one cannot become so revered without evidence to back it up. Likewise Stalin would quickly have lost his reputation as the 'Hero' and 'Glorious Leader' of the Soviet people if he had failed to reverse the German victory at Stalingrad. Among his contemporaries, Hitler was initially regarded as prescient, intuitive and brilliant, and even in his twilight years as an inspirational leader. In hindsight we perceive him as bumbling, dogged, stubborn, foolish, inexperienced and incompetent. In truth, he was a much more complex person - he was ALL of these things, and more!

That may sound paradoxical, I know, but consider again the earlier example of Churchill: the Dardanelles fiasco in WWI was a crushing blow to British pride (to none less than Churchill himself, it signaled the end of British naval supremacy, in thought if not in fact), but in after years it appearance to magnify, rather than obscure, the image and the legend of the man: the fact that Winston could redeem himself, learn from his mistakes and rise to greater glories, made him seem even more admirable and heroic. A true hero is a man who falls and pulls himself up, and is greater the second time; the one who never experiences a fall can never be called heroic. (Sounds like something Confucius would say, doesn't it? :-)) Had Hitler somehow, miraculously, reversed Germany's fortunes after 1941, had he won the cataclysmic Battle of Stalingrad and driven German forces to victory, history would have cast him in the same vein as Churchill - triumph over adversity, victory in the face of impossible odds, a great man leading his soldiers and his people through their darkest hour and to the light at the end. From now on, as it turned out, his career was on a slippery downhill slope; Stalingrad was a winner-take-all game and he never really recovered: from this point on he became more and more unpredictable and erratic. To use another cliche, history is always written by the winners: it runs contrary to our modern sensibilities, to imagine that Hitler could be remembered as anything other than a monster and a fiend, but in fact a similar thing did happen - with Stalin! Stalin was as fearsome a monster as Hitler, if not more so, but because he was indispensable to the Allied war effort Churchill and Roosevelt were determined to make him a sympathetic figure ('Uncle Joe'), so as to justify and excuse their relationship with a man who was as much an enemy to freedom and democracy as the one they were fighting. It was not until AFTER the War, when the extent and nature of Soviet crimes and the danger of the Soviet Union itself were presented to the West, that Stalin was cast in a more honest, realistic light - as a liar, deceiver and mass-murderer.

What is my conclusion here? I am drawing on so many comments it is impossible to make a coherent whole out of all this rambling. I could say much more, but I don't have the time. Well, all I can say is, you should never trust everything you read in history books. History has NEVER been entirely objective. The notion that history is written 'by the winners' is rather tired, but unfortunate it is true. History has, indeed, remembered Hitler as a bungler, as a stubborn, foolish and megalomaniacal man, and all these things are all true, and they are not the worst that can be said about him - but they are not the full picture. Believe it or not, there are still people in the world today who believe that Hitler and Stalin were both great men, and they are not all necessarily Nazis, fascists, communists, Marxists, or victims of mind-control or propaganda. Like all leaders and like all men Hitler had his faults, and he committed a great many errors, but these do not diminish the scale of his achievements, which were unprecedented - and if they were brought to naught in the end, those were still tremendous achievements. Not all of them can or should be honoured: the Holocaust, the slaughter and enslavement of 30 million individuals, a six year reign of terror and violence; these things deserve only contempt. But great things he did achieve: he reversed the terms of the crippling Versailles Treaty, and so restored pride to a Germany long been deprived of it; he made his nation into a great military and economic Power; he subjugated Poland, France, stood face to face with the British Empire, even then the greatest empire in the world, the United States, the latent economic superpower, and Russia, the world's greatest military power; he conquered a vast swathe of the Soviet Union, and came perilously close to defeating it altogether; and at its peak the German Empire encompassed one quarter of the globe, the mightiest in the world, and seemingly impervious and beyond challenge to all its foes. Adolf Hitler, that scourge of the world, tyrant of tyrants, the blackest name ever to go down in history, was the greatest military genius who ever lived, but also one of the greatest bunglers - he climbed to heights unsurpassed by any leader before or since, but fell further than any man has ever fallen, into shame and ignominy. That, I think, is the most appropriate summing-up of the man's achievements.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:28 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;75553 wrote:
Wouldn't have the atomic bomb been discovered by someone else?
The cold war was alot of things including an arms race and peace treaties as the solution, (there was no point anyway because of total annihilation due to nuclear weaponary). It was still a war.
The Germans I think where developing the nuclear bomb,remember the heroes of Telemark and the heavy water plants in Norway.
Caroline

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:44 am
@xris,
xris;75559 wrote:
The Germans I think where developing the nuclear bomb,remember the heroes of Telemark and the heavy water plants in Norway.

Yes thank you xris for reminding me.:a-ok:
xris

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 06:25 am
@Caroline,
Terry Wong;75568 wrote:
An Historian should not be the one telling lies.
Let me speak to you in your way.

I do not know who they are, because I do not have a textbook in my hands. I can search it through internet. If you are an historian, you are letting your fellow down.

I need the truth, I have a textbook. Why I need you?

Do not talk empty. Please go to do some researches before you teach me lessons.

Thank you very much for your reply.
May be its your English but you are not making sense,whats your question?
0 Replies

james gravil

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 06:28 am
@Caroline,
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_gravil
Hitler WAS a great strategist, at least in the beginning: that no one can deny.

I deny it. How does making a treaty for the purpose of breaking it evince great strategy? How does terror bombimg of London while sparing RAF airfields and industry evince great strategy? How does launching a two front war evince great strategy? How does devoting several armies worth of troops to genocidal campaigns against civilians evince great strategy? He was ultimately a strategic moron, who got his chance to shine because his enemies were so unprepared in the beginning that he was able to trade distance for time.

He tactically had brilliant generals, who won overpowering victories when allowed to operate as they chose. He had a dunce in Goering, and his army leaders like Jodl and Keitel were obsequious snails, but his field generals were strong and the opposing armies tactically terrible. But in my judgement this evinces one major advantage he had over Stalin -- Stalin had killed most of his good generals, veterans of WWI and of the civil war, but Hitler hadn't.

Just a few more quick posts.

1/ "How does making a treaty for the point of breaking it evince great strategy?"

Hitler had no intent of keeping the Nazi-Soviet Pact, and neither did Stalin. As I believe I've pointed out, Stalin actually expected Hitler to break his Treaty in the future, he simply did not anticipate the timing. Even though it was game of double bluff, this was actually a sensible move by Hitler - he wanted to keep Russia out of the War as long as possible, at least until he had achieved his designs in Europe. Stalin for his part wanted to have nothing to do with Western Europe, and his involvement in the partitioning of Poland made sense from his point of view, too - he wanted a buffer zone to keep Germany out of Russia, until as late as possible. Hitler had long made clear his designs on the Soviet Union, his desire for lebensraum and his hatred of the 'untermenschen' slavs, so he wasn't really fooling anyone; but to prematurely declare war on Russia while still engaged in Europe would have been a serious blunder. He did, however, make this mistake later on when he declared war on America, just days after the bombing of Pearl Harbour. This was inexcusable, and apart from the fact that it was to appease his alliance with Japan (which existed in name only, Japan and Germany had quite separate goals and really had little to do with each for the duration of the war; Japan had actually made a separate truce with Russia when the Germans invaded and never attempted to exploit their weakness) it can be put to a moment of blind overconfidence. Until then he had wanted to keep the Americans out of the war, as with the Soviets.

2/ "How does terror bombing of London while sparing RAF airfields and industry evince great strategy?"

Again, this was a serious blunder on Hitler's part, but as is often the case the truth of the matter is much more complicated. Hitler himself, contrary to popular impression, did *not* instigate the indiscriminate bombing of towns and cities. It was a British retaliatory raid on Berlin, itself a response to a German raid on Rotterdam, that led to and culminated in the September 1940-May 1941 'Blitz.' That ran contrary to Hitler's logic and sensibilities - he knew that bombing cities would only stiffen civilian morale, that it would most likely have little impact on the Allied war effort, that it would probably distract him from the goal of destroying the RAF and accomplishing air supremacy over Britain (which in fact happened), and most importantly that would render any hope of a peaceful reconciliation and truce between Britain and Germany implausible, if not altogether impossible. One can say that Churchill forced Hitler's hand - it is now well known that Churchill was responsible for advocating the bombing of German cities, a fact which long eluded public notice and has since drawn criticism from commentators and historians - but it is an equally valid argument that Hitler should never have allowed himself to be drawn into such a trap. It is also up for debate whether or not Hitler intended to go through with Operation Sea-Lion, the proposed invasion of Britain; with the RAF eliminated and the Wehrmacht able to cross the Channel unhindered he could easily have squashed Britain in a matter of weeks, if not sooner (that was the opinion of French Military Intelligence in 1940, anyway.) Even in 1941 however Hitler still hoped to establish a truce with Britain, to whom he owed so much, and perhaps he thought a bolder stroke might accomplish his goal more quickly than a war of attrition. With hindsight it is easy to say the tactic failed, but the Allies themselves are guilty of the same thing: aside from the Battle of the Atlantic their main commitment to the War in Europe up until 1944 was the systematic bombing of German cities, particularly in the industrial heartland of the Ruhr, in an attempt to damage Nazi industry and cow the German people into surrender. Neither of these things succeeded: Germany did not succumb until Berlin itself was taken and Allied bombing had little noticeable effect on industrial production, which rose steadily until 1944.
In short, with regards to the air war, both Hitler and the Allies made the same 'mistake', and on this matter you cannot accuse Hitler alone of a strategic oversight.

3/ "How does launching a two front war evince great strategy?"

Hitler did not 'launch' a two-front war - unless you consider his struggle with Britain (which was hardly a war at all, and even less an armed struggle) a second front. When he invaded Russia in 1941, all of Western Europe was either conquered, neutral or allied to him, and Britain, the last bastion of defiance, was effectively unable to halt Hitler's designs or affect the outcome of the War. The U-boat war was still ongoing, the Battle of Atlantic would continue for years, but aerial bombardment had trickled down to nothing by the beginning of June (just weeks before the launch of 'Operation Barbarossa') and Germany devoted fewer and fewer of its resources to the struggle with Britain as it turned its attention eastward. From 1940 to 1944, Hitler's war cannot be considered a 'two front' war, because there WAS NO SECOND FRONT. That arrived in 1944 with the invasion of Normandy (at which point the situation in the East was already hopeless, and Berlin's fate all but sealed); the various campaigns in Africa, the Mediterranean and the Middle East did not constitute a 'second front', except insofar as they distracted Hitler from the greater struggle in Russia. Even then, they represented but a fraction of Germany's war effort as a whole.
Hitler cannot be accused of 'creating' a second front, however he was responsible for the entry of America into the War, a seriously ill-calculated blunder as I mentioned before; but then, in December 1941, he did not expect the Americans to take action anytime soon. He was right: US aid for the first few years was mainly financial, and in providing supportive assistance to Britain (which it had been doing since 1940 anyway) and to the Soviet Union. He recognized the industrial and economic strength of America (albeit a country still severely affected by the Great Depression), but knew well that it would take some time to mobilize. However, he did underestimate how long it would take America to mobilize - in hindsight that seems a particularly egregious error, but Hitler still hoped to achieve a quick victory in Russia the following year and America was not yet part of his plans. If Russia HAD fallen, America could not by itself have defeated Germany; unlike Stalin Roosevelt was not a tyrant, and no democratic leader would have willingly thrown away millions of his countrymen in a futile bloodbath, which is what the Western Front WOULD have been in 1944 and 1945, if Russia had fallen quickly.
Summary: There was no Second Front until 1944, Hitler had no intention of fighting a Second Front (indeed, it was the very thing he had always wanted to avoid), and his greatest error in this matter was failing to anticipate how quickly the American people would mobilize and concentrate their efforts on Germany. None of which would have mattered had his original plan to conquer Russia not gone awry.

4/ "How does devoting several armies worth of troops to genocidal campaigns against civilians evince great strategy?"

As I understand it (unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable about the Holocaust and Hitler's concentration camps as I should be; in short I find it too distressing a subject) Hitler did not begin to devote his armies to the systematic destruction and exploitation of conquered peoples until later on in the War. The 'Final Solution' was not approved until January 1942, at the Wannsee Conference in Poland; Hitler himself was not present at this meeting and the Solution was in fact signed by Reinhard Heydrich, a high-ranking officer of the SS, who was considered as a possible successor for the Fuehrer (until he was assassinated in May of that year, ironically by Czechoslovakian spies, the very 'untermenschen' he had condemned to death.) The Nazis had committed genocidal campaigns before now - they had slaughtered millions of Russians, Jews and Slavs of various nationalities during their murderous conquest of 1941 - but it was only as the tide began to turn against Hitler and his armies that they embarked on this brutal revenge. Hitler *had* expressed a desire to rid the world of non-Aryans, many years before the invasion began, and this is often cited as a main reason, but from reading Mein Kampf one gets the impression that Lebensraum ('living space' in the East for the German people) was his main priority and that slaughter and genocide could wait. The Slavs in any case might better serve the Germans as slaves than as corpses; it was the Jews that Hitler really despised. From a purely military perspective, these actions were completely without justification and served no purpose other than to terrorize the population and wring vengeance for the set-backs of the early invasion. It is certainly telling that they intensified as the war wore on and began to take its toll. But Stalin's forces are guilty of a similar indiscretion, and whether or not it severely hampered their war effort I'm not sure. The Soviets had no choice but to fight to the death - there could be no truce, no reckoning between them - but maybe Hitler hoped that by inflicting such atrocities on them he would dampen their war-making spirit.

5/ "He was ultimately a strategic moron, who got his chance to shine because his enemies were so unprepared in the beginning that he was able to trade distance for time."

You should read my earlier post on this subject. As I wrote there, maybe Hitler *was* successful only because he was lucky - but is luck itself not an essential ingredient of ability and success? And is the ability to exploit an enemy's weakness and take advantage of an opportunity not an important quality of any gifted leader? Hitler did indeed, as you put it, "shine" in the early years of the War - the first few months of Operation Barbarossa were catastrophically successful, even if, unlike Napoleon, he failed to realize his goal of reaching Moscow - but after that the odds were heavily stacked against him. In the West he had to contend with the annoyance of Great Britain and her Empire (currently ineffectual, but an annoyance nonetheless; the Battle of the Atlantic absorbed a fair part of Hitler's war effort), and the growing power of the United States, which had the potential (but not currently the means) to present a serious threat in and of itself; in the East he had a ruthless and bloodthirsty Stalin, over a hundred million vengeful Soviet fighters, a Red Army that at its peak was estimated to be about twenty million strong (dwarfing even the magnitude of the German forces on the eve of Barbarossa, which was itself then the largest force assembled), and a country that was so vast and backward it could never entirely be subjugated. The Soviets fought ruthlessly and hopelessly, in the winter weather they were far better equipped to fight, one might suspect they were better motivated because the Germans had only the thought of victory to look forward to, the Russians had the spectre of defeat - torture, enslavement, genocide - and the traitor's bullet if all else failed; they were able to continually recruit, reorganise and regroup, moving their armament factories behind the Urals and waging a war of attrition... After Stalingrad matters on the Eastern Front really took a turn for the worse, and even if Hitler *had* had the best generals, the best equipment, the best troops and the best strategy, and an unimpeachable leadership, it is very open to debate whether or not he would have prevailed, regardless. From the end of 1941 onwards he was waging a hopeless war, and he knew well what awaited him if he failed - capture, humiliation, torture and death - and who even in a sane state of mind could cope with the pressures of war under such circumstances? It is to Churchill's credit that he kept a firm grip on things, even when defeat was staring him in the face; but the prospect of Britain surrendering to Germany was not nearly as terrible as thought of
'the Slavic untermenschen' over-running Aryan Germany, and bringing with them a cataclysmic vengeance. Whether or not Hitler was sane BEFORE the War (some would say he was mad simply to contemplate war with Britain, Russia and France!), it seems clear he was insane by 1942 or 1943. And even the greatest mind, once it has lost control over itself, becomes capable of the gravest errors.

6/ "He tactically had brilliant generals, who won overpowering victories when allowed to operate as they chose. He had a dunce in Goering, and his army leaders like Jodl and Keitel were obsequious snails, but his field generals were strong and the opposing armies tactically terrible. But in my judgement this evinces one major advantage he had over Stalin -- Stalin had killed most of his good generals, veterans of WWI and of the civil war, but Hitler hadn't."

I agree with the first part, not so much the part about Goering (I'm not as knowledgeable about Jodl and Keitel so I'll pass judgment), but I will challenge the assumption (and I will ASSUME that it is an assumption) that Stalin's armies were technically terrible. To begin with they were woefully ill-prepared, that it is true, and it is also true that Stalin had a very limited grasp of overall military strategy - he was better at organising people and getting things done than at directing wars himself. And of course, as you said, the Purge didn't do Stalin any favours. The best example of this was his ill-fated invasion of Finland, which went terribly: needless to say, the vastly outnumbered Fins decimated Stalin's armies simply because they were better motivated, better led, better prepared and more knowledgeable of their country's terrain. This, also, was Hitler's main hindrance in attacking Russia - Stalin actually had a few very good generals (Zhukov probably stands out as the most ruthless and efficient of them, and Vasily Chukov, the 'Hero of Stalingrad', whose biography I have read, led the advance into Germany and the Battle of Berlin: a fearsome and cunning warrior.) When Stalin let his generals take the reins, they proved most effective; when he sought to interfere, he made things more complicated. The Red Army was NOT tactically terrible. In the cold months it was best prepared for the trials of the Russian winter, it was made up largely of raw recruits with very little training (sometimes not even uniforms, often they went into battle unequipped and had to use what weapons they could find), but they fought fiercely and with great determination. In the Winter Offensives Stalin's forces proved themselves experts of guerrilla warfare, sabotaging German communications and lines, harrassing convoys, generally making life difficult for the already hard-pressed Germans. In the Battle of Stalingrad they fought as ruthlessly as the Germans did, and the Battle of Kursk was the greatest tank battle of the war - both these battles the Soviets won, and these victories were not down simply to superior numbers and firepower. If the Soviets did not produce the most tactically brilliant of generals, they at least produced generals that could match the ruthlessness, fierceness and determination of their German counterparts, which the Western Allies could not.
Summary: Think twice about making overgeneralizations and describing individuals and armies in insulting terms. "Obsequious snail" is not an appropriate description for a field commander, and "terrible" does not begin to begin to cover the many deficiencies in the Soviets' conduct of war, and also it fails to take account of their many strengths. I think the Wehrmacht and the Red Army were more or less on an even footing - not in numbers, not in quality of equipment or in leadership, but in temperament; had a British or American army been forced to confront the Germans in the Soviets' stead, they would not have fared as well.
xris

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 06:55 am
@james gravil,
James its very interesting but long posts loose their impact and I fail to see what your view is that needs answering.
Caroline

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:02 am
@Caroline,
Terry Wong;75568 wrote:
An Historian should not be the one telling lies.
Let me speak to you in your way.

I do not know who they are, because I do not have a textbook in my hands. I can search it through internet. If you are an historian, you are letting your fellow down.

I need the truth, I have a textbook. Why I need you?

Do not talk empty. Please go to do some researches before you teach me lessons.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Beg your pardon, I have no idea what you mean?
I think you'll find information/history on the heroes of Telemark and the heavy water plants in Norway is on the internet, I dont claim to be an historian please explain what you mean?
Your statement said you did not believe there was a cold war and I thought you were implying that because you could see no violence that it meant there was no war, I merely pointed out that because there was no violence in your opinion did not mean there wasn't a war, I was highlighting the differences between the definitions of war, thank you.
0 Replies

james gravil

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:13 am
@xris,
I wasn't expressing a view, I was responding to a reply made to one of my earlier posts.

I know, I am terrible when it comes to making long posts. I'm used to writing essays for University, not blogging on the Internet! This is a new experience to me.
xris

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:20 am
@james gravil,
james_gravil;75597 wrote:
I wasn't expressing a view, I was responding to a reply made to one of my earlier posts.

I know, I am terrible when it comes to making long posts. I'm used to writing essays for University, not blogging on the Internet! This is a new experience to me.
Not saying its wrong James,just that i know many wont bother to read long posts.Thanks xris
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:22 am
@james gravil,

Nothing wrong with posting extensive information; it is up to the other users to either dig in or abstain from reading. Let those fingers fly so long as you think their work relevant.
0 Replies

james gravil

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:35 am
@james gravil,

I must say, it can be very difficult, finding a balance between sustaining an interesting and viable argument (which involves examining an issue from many different angles, providing evidence and counter-evidence, challenging, questioning and confirming what you are saying all along) and making it readable and accessible at the same time. The Second World War, and particularly Hitler's role in it, is such a complicated and many-sided debate that no one interpretation is possible, and a line or paragraph 'sound-bite' doesn't begin to do the subject justice. When somebody states, as if it's an unimpeachable "fact", that the Soviet armies were "tactically terrible," I feel the need to challenge that assumption: such a statement IS an assumption, and while it may contain an element of the truth the matter is always more complicated. When a person declares that Hitler was stupid in starting a two-front war, they obviously don't know what they're talking about - or if they do they are not helping others, but rather reinforcing common misconceptions. As somebody who studied Modern History at University, it's my job to be critical of what other people say (not in a bad way, but rather to suggest new approaches and new insights into an issue), and that is all I am trying to achieve here.
I hope I'm not boring anyone. This is a fascinating discussion, but "What if's" such as "If Hitler had never existed..." too begin become the realm of the fiction-writer and the fantasist, and not the historian. But history, I suppose, is just another form of telling stories.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:41 am
@james gravil,
As a fellow history major, I appreciate your mindfulness in fully expressing what you know of the subject. Depending on an individual's interest in the subject, they might be quickly bored with such a long post, or they might be so enamored with the material as to make further investigations on their own. This is the beauty of forums such as this: we all determine our own level of involvement.

I certainly did not read the whole post; I am not so well versed in this history as you and others seem to be, so my interest is not nearly so acute as to compel me to read the whole thing. However, others seem to be interested enough to give it greater attention than I, which is wonderful. I've been a fan of forums for many years because they allow the sort of discourse that man once reserved for letters - the sort of discourse difficult to achieve in conversation.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:57 am
@james gravil,

Hi James :bigsmile:

You are a great contributor, just try and put your posts in short paragraphs separated by a single space

I am also guilty of long posts at times, but now I restrict those to the Creative Writing subforum

Like you I am a writer of articles and papers I even have a website set aside for my long and detailed writings

Peace to you James Smile

I
0 Replies

William

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 08:49 am
@Alan McDougall,
Hitler is not dead. He exists in us all. What can we learn from the horror of war? It seems to me very little for we are avoiding the real issues here as to what caused such carnage. I have mentioned it in passing in a few posts, but perhaps it is time to discuss the real cause. We must not lose sight of our pride, yet again we must understand what that pride can cause. Hitler appealed to that German Pride that was "white Germany". If you were German, he knew the buttons to push. He, in his "madness", wanted a "pure state" free of those "disturbances" that, in his mind, were stains on what he conceived as "purity" for the German people and he had their undivided attention. Without getting into what his "solutions" were, we must examine the "Hitler Complex" that is in us all. IMO, it is the EGO. To what great lengths we go to defend that which we deem is pure about our own thoughts and feelings as we wish others to adhere to those same thoughts and feelings. The more we can gather around us who share those thoughts, the more secure we feel to the point in which we let that "pride" get the best of us.

We will become angered to those who oppose it. The personification of selfishness as we do not take into account those reasons for those thoughts and feelings of others; only 'ourselves'. When, IMO, will we learn there is no such thing as "ethnic purity"? World War II was an extreme example in which the isolated thoughts of peoples; Germans, Americans, English, Russian, Japanese, Jewish, Christian etc., clashed as their individual ethnic "beliefs" created this battlefield. All went to extremes to live by and uphold that which was to each of the warring factions ethnically pure and the right thing to do. As far as I am concerned, no one won that war. It is still going on. Which means we have not learned from it. Therefore it will repeat itself, and the next time will be the war to end all wars and there will be no winners as all will lose.

We will go to horrific lengths to avoid culpability, when we all are guilty. No "one" is right; all were wrong. All of them, in their desire to "control" and make others come around to "their" way of thinking, resorted to bloodshed to prove their point. Not unlike the EGO in us all. This was the personification of the "CLASHING EGO'S" in the extreme. IMMHO.

William
0 Replies

RDRDRD1

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 09:22 am
@Alan McDougall,
James, I don't think a victory becomes an achievement until it is consolidated. Surely an element of permanence is a fundamental trait of achievement. Hitler's span of accomplishments, which has to be seen in the context of the German state, was relatively brief - from 1933 to 1940. From 1941 onwards Germany was locked in a war it could not win only if because it had amassed too many enemies with far too much military and industrial power. Germany simply bled out from then on. It's soldiers put up a brilliant fight and prolonged their nation's ultimate collapse just as they exacted an enormous toll on the Soviet armies but their enemies were unstoppable, even if they themselves were uncertain about that at times.

I think it's fair to say that, from the moment Hitler committed himself to a two-front war, without seeing the western war through first, it was over. From 1943 onward it was all a bloody business of reducing the German state and its armies.

As an aside, does anyone see anything similar to Nazi Germany's belief in global Aryan supremacy in what came to be known as the Bush Doctrine? This grotesque fantasy demanded that America ensure itself unrivaled, both econonically and militarily, in perpetuity and that it use its military power, if necessary, to ensure the continuation of that status quo even against friendly nations. Boiled down it comes to three words - Amerika Uber Alles. That it was the twisted brainchild of the now repudiated hawks of the Project for the New American Century (that somehow came to an astonishingly abrupt and premature end) is telling. That was quickly followed by the Bush space doctrine in which Washington essentially claimed dominion over space by reserving to itself the right to deny space access to any nation it didn't much care for.

These were incredibly belligerent measures, essentially putting the world on notice to mind their step or else, and yet the American people were really quite content with them.

In the mid 20th century both the Japanese and the Germans gave vent to an ultra-nationalism that can only be described as exceptionalism. At the end of that century, America too embraced ultra-nationalist exceptionalism. It's beyond curious that all seemed to see that as a force for good.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 09:53 am
@xris,
xris;75559 wrote:
And when Soviet intelligence interrogated German physicists in 1945 they found that Hitler had largely abandoned a nuclear weapons program as early as 1941 or 1942. See "The Fall of Berlin" by Antony Beevor, which goes into quite a bit of detail about this (Stalin was obsessed with not allowing this to fall into allied hands).

This is from the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
The zenith of the effort came when it was realized that nuclear fission would not contribute significantly to ending the war. In January 1942, the Army Ordnance Office turned the program over to the Reich Research Council, but continued to fund the program. At this time, the program split up between nine major institutes where the directors dominated the research and set their own objectives. At that time, the number of scientists working on applied nuclear fission began to diminish, with many applying their talents to more pressing war-time demands

---------- Post added 07-07-2009 at 12:09 PM ----------

James, I'm at work and I can't respond to your many points at any length right now.

I'd first say that there absolutely was a second front -- and if you need evidence look at the deployment of German divisions in France.

Secondly, you need not defend Hitler by putting down Churchill. I'm not putting Churchill up on any pedestal.

Third, there are many audacious people who do nothing but get themselves and others killed. Look at the Battle of the Somme -- that was a pretty audacious act, but few would elevate Gen Haig as a great leader, mainly because it was a bloody catastrophy. George W. Bush was audacious in his invasion of Iraq -- is he great? Mussolini was audacious in his invasions of North Africa and Ethiopia -- was he great? Hitler's audacity yielded dividends because his army was so much better prepared for war than any of his opponents -- and that lasted until his opponents got better. He became no less audacious as the war continued, but he began to lose. Kursk and the Battle of the Bulge were a prime examples of where the same aggressive audacity led him to bleed his own forces dry without any strategic merit.

Next, the ONLY condition in which I can envision Germany having been victorious over the USSR would have been if Japan invaded the Soviet Union from the east. The Soviet ability to withstand devastating losses of territories and troops was plainly evident within a few months of the invasion. The encircled pockets of Soviet troops at Kiev, at Bialystok-Minsk, etc, fought savagely against the Germans, and even though Red Army troops were captured by the millions, they exacted a dear (and unexpected) toll on the invading army (a fact remarked upon by several German generals). The Germans were NEVER able to wear down the Red Army as a fighting force, ever, and it's hard to believe that the loss of Moscow would have done so.

After all, the Germans took Minsk, Riga, Kiev, Odessa, Orel, Kharkov, etc, i.e. captured city after city after city. But capturing cities is not how you win a war. Destroying armies is how you win a war. And in the battle to eliminate the Soviets as a fighting power, the Germans did not have much of a chance. Once the Soviet industrial machine got going they were able to churn out their best weapons of the war (T-34 tanks and Katyusha artillery pieces), replenish their air force, and provide small arms to ungodly numbers of recruits. The Germans would NEVER have had access to the industrial areas in the Urals, even with a capture of Moscow, because they were far out of bombing range and the Germans were already far too distant along their supply lines by the time they reached the outskirts of Moscow.

If Japan had invaded Russia, then the USSR would have been fighting a 2-front war and the USA might have remained a noncombatant -- or at best belatedly lent operational support to England.

james_gravil;75582 wrote:
As I understand it (unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable about the Holocaust and Hitler's concentration camps as I should be; in short I find it too distressing a subject) Hitler did not begin to devote his armies to the systematic destruction and exploitation of conquered peoples until later on in the War. The 'Final Solution' was not approved until January 1942, at the Wannsee Conference in Poland.
This is incorrect in that as many as 15% of the Holocaust's eventual Jewish victims were already dead by the time of Wannsee, and the largest committment of manpower to the task was also prior to Wannsee in the form of SS death squads (see below). The Wannsee Conference primarily functioned to 1) define Jews, and 2) subordinate Jewish policy under the RHSA / SS and communicate this policy to other leaders.

Functionally, i.e. in practice, the Holocaust was well underway by the time of Wannsee. Ghettoization and mass starvation / disease, and to a lesser degree enslavement and mass shootings of Polish Jews was happening as early as 1939.

After Barbarossa in June 1941, Hitler was asked what to do with Jews in occupied areas of the Soviet Union, and Hitler ordered that be "shot as partisans". The commissar / von Reichenau orders are regarded as the paper justification for rounding up and dispatching all Jews in occupied Soviet territory.

The einsatzgruppen were formed by Heydrich in 1941 (recall that Heydrich later chaired the Wannsee conference). These were large death squads that ultimately exterminated nearly the entire Jewish populations of the Ukraine, the Baltics, Belarus, and Western Russia (by mass shooting), and most of their work was done in the first 6-12 months after Barbarossa. Between 1 and 1.5 million Jews were killed by the einsatzgruppen, most famously 37,000 in two days at Babi Yar. Even though these squads were SS functionaries, the Wermacht was complicit in their actions, and von Manstein's troops actually assisted at Babi Yar (which is near Kiev).

After Wannsee, because the mass shootings were taking a grievous psychological toll on the perpetrators, they began to employ gas chambers. In 1942 Operation Reinhard got underway, which was the deadliest action of the entire Holocaust. By a year later there were almost no Polish Jews left, and the Operation Reinhard camps (Treblinka, Belzec, and Sobibor) were closed, and it remained for Auschwitz to be the site where Jews imported from other countries were sent.

By the way, most participants in this thread are American. I'm a first generation Jewish American, my mom was born in Germany but her parents were from Poland, and my dad was born in Hungary.