What if Hitler had never been born or had been assasinated

Paggos

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 02:35 pm
@Alan McDougall,
We would not have learned to prepare ourselves next time, if it didn't happen. I believe with the space race, Russia and the USA would work tougher, and we'd become allies. China would not have taken control of our economy, but i believe another country would've controlled us by now.
0 Replies

james gravil

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 03:31 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;75650 wrote:
And when Soviet intelligence interrogated German physicists in 1945 they found that Hitler had largely abandoned a nuclear weapons program as early as 1941 or 1942. See "The Fall of Berlin" by Antony Beevor, which goes into quite a bit of detail about this (Stalin was obsessed with not allowing this to fall into allied hands).

This is from the Wikipedia article:

---------- Post added 07-07-2009 at 12:09 PM ----------

James, I'm at work and I can't respond to your many points at any length right now.

I'd first say that there absolutely was a second front -- and if you need evidence look at the deployment of German divisions in France.

Secondly, you need not defend Hitler by putting down Churchill. I'm not putting Churchill up on any pedestal.

Third, there are many audacious people who do nothing but get themselves and others killed. Look at the Battle of the Somme -- that was a pretty audacious act, but few would elevate Gen Haig as a great leader, mainly because it was a bloody catastrophy. George W. Bush was audacious in his invasion of Iraq -- is he great? Mussolini was audacious in his invasions of North Africa and Ethiopia -- was he great? Hitler's audacity yielded dividends because his army was so much better prepared for war than any of his opponents -- and that lasted until his opponents got better. He became no less audacious as the war continued, but he began to lose. Kursk and the Battle of the Bulge were a prime examples of where the same aggressive audacity led him to bleed his own forces dry without any strategic merit.

Next, the ONLY condition in which I can envision Germany having been victorious over the USSR would have been if Japan invaded the Soviet Union from the east. The Soviet ability to withstand devastating losses of territories and troops was plainly evident within a few months of the invasion. The encircled pockets of Soviet troops at Kiev, at Bialystok-Minsk, etc, fought savagely against the Germans, and even though Red Army troops were captured by the millions, they exacted a dear (and unexpected) toll on the invading army (a fact remarked upon by several German generals). The Germans were NEVER able to wear down the Red Army as a fighting force, ever, and it's hard to believe that the loss of Moscow would have done so.

After all, the Germans took Minsk, Riga, Kiev, Odessa, Orel, Kharkov, etc, i.e. captured city after city after city. But capturing cities is not how you win a war. Destroying armies is how you win a war. And in the battle to eliminate the Soviets as a fighting power, the Germans did not have much of a chance. Once the Soviet industrial machine got going they were able to churn out their best weapons of the war (T-34 tanks and Katyusha artillery pieces), replenish their air force, and provide small arms to ungodly numbers of recruits. The Germans would NEVER have had access to the industrial areas in the Urals, even with a capture of Moscow, because they were far out of bombing range and the Germans were already far too distant along their supply lines by the time they reached the outskirts of Moscow.

If Japan had invaded Russia, then the USSR would have been fighting a 2-front war and the USA might have remained a noncombatant -- or at best belatedly lent operational support to England.

This is incorrect in that as many as 15% of the Holocaust's eventual Jewish victims were already dead by the time of Wannsee, and the largest committment of manpower to the task was also prior to Wannsee in the form of SS death squads (see below). The Wannsee Conference primarily functioned to 1) define Jews, and 2) subordinate Jewish policy under the RHSA / SS and communicate this policy to other leaders.

Functionally, i.e. in practice, the Holocaust was well underway by the time of Wannsee. Ghettoization and mass starvation / disease, and to a lesser degree enslavement and mass shootings of Polish Jews was happening as early as 1939.

After Barbarossa in June 1941, Hitler was asked what to do with Jews in occupied areas of the Soviet Union, and Hitler ordered that be "shot as partisans". The commissar / von Reichenau orders are regarded as the paper justification for rounding up and dispatching all Jews in occupied Soviet territory.

The einsatzgruppen were formed by Heydrich in 1941 (recall that Heydrich later chaired the Wannsee conference). These were large death squads that ultimately exterminated nearly the entire Jewish populations of the Ukraine, the Baltics, Belarus, and Western Russia (by mass shooting), and most of their work was done in the first 6-12 months after Barbarossa. Between 1 and 1.5 million Jews were killed by the einsatzgruppen, most famously 37,000 in two days at Babi Yar. Even though these squads were SS functionaries, the Wermacht was complicit in their actions, and von Manstein's troops actually assisted at Babi Yar (which is near Kiev).

After Wannsee, because the mass shootings were taking a grievous psychological toll on the perpetrators, they began to employ gas chambers. In 1942 Operation Reinhard got underway, which was the deadliest action of the entire Holocaust. By a year later there were almost no Polish Jews left, and the Operation Reinhard camps (Treblinka, Belzec, and Sobibor) were closed, and it remained for Auschwitz to be the site where Jews imported from other countries were sent.

By the way, most participants in this thread are American. I'm a first generation Jewish American, my mom was born in Germany but her parents were from Poland, and my dad was born in Hungary.

I believe the classification of Jews had already been accomplished by the 1935 Nuremberg Laws; the Wannsee Conference was a secret meeting of Nazi leaders and a different matter altogether. It was as much about the fate of the Jews as it was about the Eastern War as a whole. Bear in mind that when Hitler took power in 1934, he didn't start killing and plundering Jews immediately - many Jews were actually 'encouraged' (read: coerced) to leave Germany, and many of those earlier exterminated were done so under the pretense that they were Communists or SDs or otherwise dangers to the Nazi Party, NOT simply Jews. Communism was supposedly a "Jewish" conspiracy, and indeed many prominent Communists (Lenin and Trotsky not least) were Jews themselves.

The Nuremberg Laws, while undoubtedly an abominable piece of anti-Semitic legislation, had nothing to do with the extermination of Jews. They were, perhaps, a stepping-stone in that direction, but their only function was to define who was and wasn't a Jew (you were Jewish if you were of the first, second or third generation), strip Jews of their property and civil rights, even of their status as German civilians, and even deny them certain human rights accorded to other (non-Jewish) Germans. They did NOT call for the systematic destruction of the Jewish race; not so directly or boldly, that is. Hitler was more subtle. He forbade Jews and non-Jews (especially German non-Jews) from marrying or having relations and producing children; this can be seen as a means of preventing the Jewish race from spreading, and diminishing its 'dominance' in German society; and so it was a move in a less-than-liberal direction, but still a long way from actual mass murder. It is a matter of debate whether at this point Hitler had contemplated all-out genocide, or whether he intended merely to continue victimizing them; there is evidence for both views, and it is such a conflicting subject there is even historical debate about it today. Genocide proper, determined and organized, arrived much later on.

True, a great many Jews (as many as 15% of the total, you say?) were killed before the Wannsee Conference and the authorization of the Final Solution. A disproportionate number of those were Poles. Poland, as you probably know, has (or had) a large Polish population. Perhaps this was one of Hitler's reasons for attacking Poland - the acquisition of Lebensraum in the East and the Aryan 'domination' of the 'inferior' Slavic races who occupied those countries (Poles, Russians, Czechoslovaks, et al.) were ideals that went comfortably hand in hand. While death squads WERE organized to take out specific groups in the countries the Nazi conquered - Jews particularly, as well as Slavs and Gypsies, homosexuals, the physically and mentally handicapped, and so on - it was, as you yourself pointed out, to prevent them forming 'partisans' and becoming a hindrance to Germany's war effort. A not insensible policy, in my opinion. I do not believe that systematic extermination of the conquered populations was a key feature of Hitler's policy of war at this early date. That changed after 1942, when the fortunes of war began to swing against Germany; the Final Solution was enacted as a kind of twisted revenge, but was not part of any coherent plan. Hitler's key motive was still the acquisition of new territories, new resources, the expansion of the German empire. This is a fact which seems to have been distorted somewhat by history, since the Holocaust was so terrible, and became so associated with the Eastern War. Poland unfortunately bore the heaviest cost in terms of civilian casualties - fewer than Russia, with its much smaller population, but a greater percentage of its population as a whole. (And the Soviet Union's is estimated to be between 8 and 10 percent, an appalling figure.)

Put in simpler terms, I don't think genocide and mass-extermination were central to Hitler's war aims and war effort, not in the early stages of the War. Jews WERE slaughtered before 1942, and a 'Holocaust' of sorts was developing, but many of the casualties were exterminated as combatants and as prisoners of war - NOT simply as Holocaust victims. At this time Hitler was not actively seeking revenge against the Jews or anyone else, as yet he nothing to complain about.

As for whether the Soviet Union could have survived the fall of Moscow - well, that's a moot point, obviously. It weathered a great many other catastrophes (the loss of as much as a quarter of its total industrial capacity over the first months of the invasion, according to some Soviet sources), and in some ways those set-backs emboldened the Soviet armies, rather than shook them. However, take Stalingrad as an example. As you probably well know (I recommend watching the film Enemy at the Gates, if you haven't already), the city was absolutely crucial to the wider Eastern Front, NOT solely because of its strategic value, or because of its importance as an industrial center, but because it bore Stalin's name. The victory of Stalingrad was a morale-boosting victory for the Red Army, albeit a Pyrrhic victory in the fashion of the Somme, because the defenders actually suffered higher casualties than the attackers. Stalin recognized that the city COULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO FALL, BECAUSE IT WAS SHATTER THE MORALE OF THE RED ARMY. It was a personal struggle, even, between him and Hitler. The victor would come out indubitably the stronger, though it might cost him a million lives. A defeat at Stalingrad would easily have been a crippling blow for the Soviet Union; so what would the loss of Moscow have been like? Devastating. In any event, it would be a crippling blow to the image of the Soviet government. Stalin and his comrades might well survive THAT set-back, but the repercussions would be enormous. As a speculator as well as a historian, it is important to think beyond the immediate. Moscow was the centre of operations from which the whole Eastern War was directed, with Stalin and his Politburo right at the centre; the Soviets might well be able to reorganise their armies from a thousand miles BEHIND THE LINES, as they actually did, but they could not be nearly as effective without a forward base from which to direct the war.

And that, Aedes, is my two cents. Glad to see someone has as much interest in this subject as I do. Feel free to comment and point out any other oversights in my argument.
William

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 04:25 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Fascinating James. Please, if you would, explain the implications as a result of the Treaty at Versailles and the attitude of the Germans as a result of that treaty in your opinion. In my opinion, this was not a treaty as I understand the definition of the word. :perplexed:
Thanks,
William
Aedes

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 04:34 pm
@james gravil,
Thanks for your post, James.

james_gravil;75977 wrote:
I believe the classification of Jews had already been accomplished by the 1935 Nuremberg Laws
That was a different classification and for a different purpose.

the Wannsee Conference was a secret meeting of Nazi leaders and a different matter altogether.
The classification of Jews was discussed at length there according to the transcript that Eichmann took there, as well as his testimony when on trial.

It was as much about the fate of the Jews as it was about the Eastern War as a whole
Yes, that's what I said. The formal purpose of this part of the Wannsee conference was to subordinate all activities against the Jews under the SS, as administered by the RHSA (though this changed when forced labor became official policy as well, so the RHSA was not the only involved government organ).

many Jews were actually 'encouraged' (read: coerced) to leave Germany
Around 600,000 Jews fled Germany before the war. Many of them were imported from surrounding countries and killed anyway, because the US and Britain were very reluctant to accept Jews.

The Nuremberg Laws, while undoubtedly an abominable piece of anti-Semitic legislation, had nothing to do with the extermination of Jews.
Correct.

They were, perhaps, a stepping-stone in that direction, but their only function was to define who was and wasn't a Jew
No, they had a bigger function than that -- they stripped Jews of political, professional, and economic power, and ultimately stripped them of citizenship.

They did NOT call for the systematic destruction of the Jewish race
I never said anything to the contrary. That is correct.

It is a matter of debate whether at this point Hitler had contemplated all-out genocide
That's not much of a matter of debate if his speeches and if his writing in Mein Kampf bear testimony to it.

True, a great many Jews (as many as 15% of the total, you say?) were killed before the Wannsee Conference and the authorization of the Final Solution.
The Wannsee Conference was NOT "authorization of the Final Solution". It was a communication of this policy to people outside the RHSA and SS.

A disproportionate number of those were Poles.
No they were NOT Poles!!

While from Sept 1939 until June 1941, Poles were killed in large numbers as part of the ethnic cleansing / lebensraum program, the Jews were not particularly singled out except for ghettoization, and died in relatively small numbers. The einsatzgruppen killed the Polish intelligentsia, but did not massacre Jews at the time.

But from June 1941 onward, the einsatzgruppen went into action in the occupied Soviet Union. The einsatzgruppen operated in the Baltic States, in Ukraine, in Belarus, and in Russia. Separate actions against Jews took place in Romania and Yugoslavia, but these were mainly carried out by local populations with SS support.

The vast majority of the einsatzgruppen killings happened before Wannsee ever took place. They are thought to have killed between 1 million and 1.5 million Jews altogether, but most of this was in the beginning months of the war -- later on the einsatzgruppen were disbanded and many of these were incorporated into Waffen SS units or Wermacht formations.

The Polish Jews were killed en masse AFTER Wannsee, as result of Operation Reinhard, which established an experimental death camp at Chelmno and operational death camps at Treblinka, Sobibor, Belzec, and Majdanek. Between 2 million and 2.5 million Jews died in these camps, nearly all Poles, and nearly all in 1942-1943. The reason 1942 was such a deadly year after Wannsee is that Operation Reinhard started, Auschwitz-Birknau was functional, and the einsatzgruppen were still operational.

Auschwitz-Birkenau was also a killing center for Polish Jews (two of my grandparents were sent there from Lodz, Poland), but by the time it took over as the main killing center most of the Jews in the "general government" of occupied Poland were dead. Fully 1/3 of the Jews who died at Auschwitz were from Hungary, and imported from elsewhere in occupied Europe (incl Germany).

I do not believe that systematic extermination of the conquered populations was a key feature of Hitler's policy of war at this early date.
Then you believe incorrectly. Systematic extermination of the Jews began in 1941. Systematic extermination of Soviet POWs also began in 1941 (3 million dead between June 1941 and Jan 1942). This is not even debatable.

[URL="http://[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsatzgruppen""]Einsatzgruppen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL][URL="http://</p><p> </p><p><a href="http://[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Death_squads_.281941.E2.80.931943.29"" target="_blank">The Holocaust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</a>]Timeline of Holocaust"]

[URL="http://[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Death_squads_.281941.E2.80.931943.29""]The Holocaust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL] (linked to a specific section of this article)[/URL]

Nazi crimes against Soviet POWs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Table of estimated Jewish deaths by year (copied from Wiki):
1933-1940 under 100,000
1941 1,100,000
1942 2,700,000
1943 500,000
1944 600,000
1945 100,000

This adds up to 5.0 million during the war years. Most historians estimate 5.9 million total. Whatever the actual total, 1941 was the second most lethal year of the Holocaust.

Put in simpler terms, I don't think genocide and mass-extermination were central to Hitler's war aims and war effort, not in the early stages of the War.
I think the evidence suggests that one of the main reasons he waged war specifically for the slaughter of Jews, partly because he conflated the idea of Jews with that of Bolshevism. His writing and speeches suggest this from as early as the 1920s, and he and Goebbels both prattled constantly about Jews as a plague that needed to be eradicated. In 1937 or 1938 he gave a speech in which he threatened the destruction of the Jews if another war developed.

Jews WERE slaughtered before 1942, and a 'Holocaust' of sorts was developing, but many of the casualties were exterminated as combatants and as prisoners of war - NOT simply as Holocaust victims.
You're wrong about this. Please look it up.

From the USHMM website:
Quote:
After the June 1941 German invasion of the Soviet Union, SS and police units (acting as mobile killing units) began massive killing operations aimed at entire Jewish communities. By autumn 1941, the SS and police introduced mobile gas vans. These paneled trucks with the exhaust pipe reconfigured to pump poisonous carbon monoxide gas into sealed spaces, killing those locked within, were to complement ongoing shooting operations. Four weeks after the invasion of the Soviet Union, on July 17, 1941, Hitler tasked SS chief Heinrich Himmler with responsibility for all security matters in the occupied Soviet Union. Hitler gave Himmler broad authority to physically eliminate any perceived threats to permanent German rule. Two weeks later, on July 31, 1941, Nazi leader Hermann Goering authorized SS General Reinhard Heydrich to make preparations for the implementation of a "complete solution of the Jewish question." In the autumn of 1941, SS chief Heinrich Himmler assigned German General Odilo Globocnik (SS and police leader for the Lublin District) with the implementation of a plan to systematically murder the Jews of the Generalgouvernement. The code name Operation Reinhard was eventually given to this plan, named after Heydrich (who was assassinated by Czech partisans in May 1942). Three killing centers, with no purpose other than mass murder, were established in Poland as part of Operation Reinhard -- Belzec, Sobibor, and Treblinka.

However, take Stalingrad as an example. As you probably well know (I recommend watching the film Enemy at the Gates, if you haven't already), the city was absolutely crucial to the wider Eastern Front, NOT solely because of its strategic value, or because of its importance as an industrial center, but because it bore Stalin's name.
Stalingrad was symbolically important, but not enough to justify the million people who died in or as a result of that battle. Whether Stalingrad or some other town, the importance was that between the Volga and the Black Sea was the Nazi road to the Caucasus, and somewhere in there the Germans needed to provide security for their expedition to the Caucasian oil fields. If the Germans had walked into Stalingrad uncontested, then the battle would have happened somewhere else.

By the way, I've seen Enemy at the Gates twice, and I don't think it portrays the battle accurately or comprehensively at all. Read "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor, "The Road to Stalingrad" and "The Road to Berlin" by John Erickson, and read "A Writer at War" (Antony Beevor's compilation of the journals of Vasily Grossman).

The victory of Stalingrad was a morale-boosting victory for the Red Army, albeit a Pyrrhic victory in the fashion of the Somme, because the defenders actually suffered higher casualties than the attackers.
It was not a pyrrhic victory at all! It was a major tactical victory and a major strategic victory. (Pyrrhic victories generally mean tactical victories but strategic losses). I mean you're right that the Soviets suffered more casualties, but in the Eastern Front as a whole they suffered 4 times as many as the Germans, but there is no doubt as to who the winners of that war were. The Soviets also suffered more casualties at Kursk and at Moscow.

Stalingrad destroyed the entire German 6th army and much of the 4th Panzer army. Never had Germany suffered a defeat on that scale. Furthermore, the momentum of the victory and the subsequent Operation Saturn threatened to cut off the remainder of Army Group South, which was in the Caucasus and would have been trapped if the Red Army had made it to the Black Sea in time, so Stalingrad created a major gain in territory. The Germans withdrew rapidly (and their withdrawal was costly) from that whole region, and after back and forth exchanges at Kharkov they had only one offensive left in them at Kursk.

Stalin recognized that the city COULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO FALL, BECAUSE IT WAS SHATTER THE MORALE OF THE RED ARMY.
The propagandists loved that, but it's just not true. Morale is overrated. When the Soviets lost 600,000 troops to an encirclement at Kiev, THAT was cause for loss of morale. When the Germans began to bomb Moscow (and they had to evacuate Lenin's pickled body from the mauseleum), THAT was cause for loss of morale. When the Germans made it all the way to the Volga and the Caucasus, THAT was cause for loss of morale. Stalingrad, compared with cities like Kiev, Minsk, Riga, Odessa, Sebastopol, and Leningrad, was not all that important.

---------- Post added 07-08-2009 at 06:41 PM ----------

William;75985 wrote:
Please, if you would, explain the implications as a result of the Treaty at Versailles and the attitude of the Germans as a result of that treaty in your opinion.
Its role in the eventuality of WWII is grossly overrated.

It was NOT a fair treaty, and it was meant to be punitive and not reconstructive. That is clear. But the use of it as a propaganda weapon is FAR disproportionate to its actual relevance.

Fundamentally, WWII happened because the conflicts that flared in WWI were never satisfactorily resolved. Four empires collapsed in WWI (Kaiser Germany, Tsarist Russia, Austria-Hungary, and Ottoman Turkey). In their wake was left ultranationalist idealogues fighting it out, in a brutal civil war in the cases of Russia and Spain. Mutually incompatible military powers rose to prominence in the political and economic melee that followed.

If you're interested in this subject, I'd suggest you read "War of the World" by the British historian Niall Fergusson. His thesis is that the first half of the 20th century represented an enormous civil war within Western civilization, in fact a quasi-suicide attempt. He goes into extraordinary detail about factors such as economic changes, mass movement of refugees, and the connectedness of various atrocities such as the Armenian genocide, the Holocaust, Stalin's purges and famines, and the Japanese atrocities in mainland Asia as having common underlying themes.

WWII, and the rise of Naziism, was probably independent of Versailles. No one would have cared about Versailles if Germany had been more prosperous under the Weimar government.
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:50 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Paul, your post is brilliant as I think is James's. I am literally quite surprised it has gone this long without evolving into "name calling"; to which I am quite amazed, it that means anything. MY only purpose is to understand the ingredients that were instrumental in creating this battlefield in hopes that it will never happen again that will allow all who participated in this carnage to step to the table and apologize for their part in it. In my understanding it has everything to do with the insanity of power and control, both overt and covert in attempts to rule and those elements are still alive and well in the chaos that is the world today. Only the results will be much more catastrophic, if we don't all reach that understanding and finally put it to rest in such a way no one has to bear the guilt alone as it will be shared by many. I can see mistakes on all fronts and any defense of each will only exacerbate the issue even more and perpetuate that animosity that will lead to it happening again. IMO.

Let's hear what James has to say about Versailles from his point of view if he chooses to do so.

Thanks again and brilliant post as you relate it from your perspective and those who think like you. Please keep in mind, not all do. Thanks for allowing them to speak from their perspective and those who think like they. Smile

William
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:06 pm
@Alan McDougall,
He and I have disagreements about some factual points, some of which are truly murky things (speculation on the moral importance of Stalingrad, or what was going on in Hitler's mind in 1920 or 1930 or 1940); some of them are items of fact that are well referenced. But either way, we have fairly similar points of view about things, and there's never need to be disrespectful.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
Quote:
James posted
The Nuremberg Laws, while undoubtedly an abominable piece of anti-Semitic legislation, had nothing to do with the extermination of Jews. They were, perhaps, a stepping-stone in that direction, but their only function was to define who was and wasn't a Jew (you were Jewish if you were of the first, second or third generation), strip Jews of their property and civil rights, even of their status as German civilians, and even deny them certain human rights accorded to other (non-Jewish) Germans. They did NOT call for the systematic destruction of the Jewish race; not so directly or boldly, that is. Hitler was more subtle. He forbade Jews and non-Jews (especially German non-Jews) from marrying or having relations and producing children; this can be seen as a means of preventing the Jewish race from spreading, and diminishing its 'dominance' in German society; and so it was a move in a less-than-liberal direction, but still a long way from actual mass murder. It is a matter of debate whether at this point Hitler had contemplated all-out genocide, or whether he intended merely to continue victimizing them; there is evidence for both views, and it is such a conflicting subject there is even historical debate about it today. Genocide proper, determined and organized, arrived much later on.

This piece of legislation reminds me very much of the disgusting apartheid laws in South Africa, where I live.

I have heard people Oh!! it was just a mild form of racial separation, but it was based on hatred for those who differed from the ruling class, in this case mostly white pure bred Afrikaners (of course in reality there is no such person)

It could easily have lead to mass slaughter of the black indigenous people of SA if the world had not watched what was going on in the country.

The white SA are indeed fortunate that such a great man as Nelson Mandela came on the scene, and the forgiving nature of the African people.

You find racial hatred everywhere but the difference between person racialism and legislated racialism, is that is gives the ruling party free reign to commit any horror under the guise of the law

This leads me to the question why did the world not oppose this form of legislated racial hatred in Germany, like it later did with the South African white Aparteid regime?
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:39 am
@Alan McDougall,
No idea. Um, I need to delete this post, i mis-read Alans post.
0 Replies

james gravil

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:03 am
@William,
William;75985 wrote:
Fascinating James. Please, if you would, explain the implications as a result of the Treaty at Versailles and the attitude of the Germans as a result of that treaty in your opinion. In my opinion, this was not a treaty as I understand the definition of the word. :perplexed:
Thanks,
William

William:

The Treaty of Versailles was not a treaty in the real sense of the word. A treaty is something made with the purpose of ensuring peace between nations, of establishing a contract between victor and vanquished that both must agree with and feel secure in, and magnanimity in victory is the best guarantee of a lasting peace in the future. The Treaty of Versailles was and did none of those things. It was therefore *not* a treaty, I believe, instead it was an excessively punitive series of measures designed to chastise the German people for their part in the bloodshed, between 1914 and 1918. Directly or indirectly, it led to Hitler's rise to power and the Second World War twenty years later, which otherwise might never have been. Versailles imposed many brutal and insuperable demands on the German people: impossible reparations, the demilitarization of the Rhineland, severe limitations on its army and navy, the foundation of a Weimar Republic that proved most unpopular, and later incapable of dealing with the social and political upheavals of the Great Depression (the reasons for its failure are complicated, suffice it to say that one reason was the natural indisposition of the German people to the western ideals of enlightened 'democracy', accustomed as they were to an autocratic system ruled by a semi-despotic kaiser, in which - unlike France or Britain - the bourgeoisie had yet to establish themselves and the 'upper' classes were still the driving political elite. That's a slight simplification for you.) All these things contributed to the Germans' distrust of their neighbours and gave them ever more reason to hate them; their revenge therefore was all but a future inevitability. Many of these terms were later reversed - Germany was allowed to rebuild her Navy, she was given access to the Rhineland, and illegally built up her armed forces in the face of France and Britain but no action was taken to stop her; the burden of payments was eased somewhat during the Depression and the United States offered Germany financial aid - but these did not put a seal on the hatred. Rather, if anything they exacerbated the distrust, because the Germans by the 1930s thought the limitations of Versailles should be removed altogether: they had been unfairly treated and the Allies were amending their policies not out of genuine regret, but out of guilt.

Germany hated Britain somewhat less than France, largely because of her policy of appeasement - it was Chamberlain's government that allowed Hitler to take over Czechoslovakia (the Munich Agreement), unify with Austria, and do nothing while Hitler's forces marched into the Rhineland. Unlike France, Britain disagreed with some of the terms of the Treaty; France was determined to exact her punishment, and the other Allies were unable to moderate her. This explains why Hitler in 1940 wanted to establish a separate peace with Britain, and why he was reluctant (if not altogether unprepared) for Operation Sea-Lion. If you read Churchill's memoirs (the four volume The Second World War I strongly recommend), you'll see that Churchill himself was unsure about Hitler during this time, and that was actually contemplating an alliance of sorts with Nazi Germany - if this sounds unlikely he also shook hands with Mussolini in 1928, because a fascist, to his way of thinking, was the 'lesser of evils' compared to a communist (an attitude that reminds one eerily of American foreign policy in the Cold War, and even today.) Hitler's racial pretensions however left Churchill cold; and Churchill afterwards cast aside his reservations and became one of his most outspoken opponents.

Contrary to popular belief, the German capitulation in the First World War was not due to a straightforward military defeat, but rather to what Hitler, and many other politicians, called 'the stab in the back' back home. This betrayal was instigated by Jews (obviously), by trade unionists, by Communist agitators, and by other unwanted elements, all of whom were persecuted during Hitler's regime. Hitler could not have enacted such sweeping measures without a degree of public support; his designs, sad to say, were not achieved simply through propaganda and brainwashing. Although Hitler's prejudice towards the Jews was unusual in that it had a racial basis, his hatred of the Jews was far from peculiar: many Germans at the time blamed the Jewish population for the supposed 'stab in the back', and because they were prominent, affluent and numerous, and therefore easy to envy and criticize. Communists too were widely hated throughout Europe at this time (the Russian Revolution had happened not long ago), although the Communist and SD movement did gain significant support over the course of the 1930s, due in no small part to the ravages of the Depression. It goes without saying, of course, that Hitler could not have acquired such a following had a great number of Germans not followed him from the start, and agreed wholeheartedly with his policies; certainly they did not meet with unanimous approval, but almost every German believed that the terms of the Versailles had been unnecessarily harsh, that the guilty must pay, and that they had never been truly 'defeated.' All this made for an explosive powder-keg which was sure to erupt at some point.

In the light of the Second World War, it is difficult to find any real sympathy for the German people, considering the atrocities they wrought; but many western historians (and I among them) agree that the Treaty of Versailles was a foolish act of legislation. It did the opposite of what a treaty is supposed to do: it did NOT guarantee peace; it gave the vanquished a good reason to hate the victors even more than they already did; if war had been a possibility before, it made it now even more likely. Whether or not the Second World War would have happened WITHOUT Hitler is one of history's great debates; all we can say is that the peace would probably not have lasted very long, in any case. Hitler and the Nazi Party were able to capitalize on these emotions, hence their rapid rise to power: but for the Treaty of Versailles, the serendipity of the Great Depression, and the abysmal failure of the Weimar Republic, the Nazis would probably have remained a small group of discontented agitators (if they ever existed; Hitler himself didn't actually actually found the National Socialist movement, however), and the dictator himself would have continued eking out a living as a penniless artist in Vienna. Hitler, unexceptional in many ways, was simply the right man in the right place at the right time. But it was he who shaped these strands of chance and circumstance into the war that came.

William, hope that satisfies your question.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aedes, your take on the subject of the Treaty of Versailles is intriguing, and I invite you to tell me more. It is a rather different angle on pre-war geopolitical relations in Europe from what I have been taught. Certainly the Treaty was not the ONLY factor for the break-down of European relations from 1930 onwards, and the beginnings of the Second World War - there were, as you suggested, latent social, political and ethnic imbalances in Eastern Europe which must have played their part, and were in fact responsible for the Great War as well - but I don't think Versailles' importance can be overstated. It is cited by most western historians as a major reason, or 'condition', for both Hitler's rise to power and the Second World War.

I admit I don't have a bulletproof knowledge of this subject, and I am always striving to increase my knowledge. I finished University a year ago and achieved a 2.1 degree, but I am always interested to hear more. Different 'angles' and approaches on subjects (like the one you offered before) are always welcome. I agree with you that Enemy at the Gates was not a comprehensive, informative or especially well-made depiction of the Battle of Stalingrad, however it is useful in that it DOES show, quite clearly, the importance of morale and propaganda on the Soviet war machine - and these were, if not decisive, at least important factors! That I don't think you can dispute. The Soviet Union HAD suffered tremendous defeats and crises of morale before Stalingrad, and would continue to do so until almost the end of the war; this battle was merely one 'hinge' on which the whole Eastern Front turned. The word 'pyrrhic' applies quite well, I think, to this victory. I believe it used generally to refer to any battle, or struggle, that is won at tremendous, whether in strategic terms or in terms of human cost. Stalingrad fits the bill in both cases. Many of the battles on the Eastern Front can therefore be described as 'Pyrrhic', even if they were crushing victories, because the Soviet Army (which was often poorly trained and ill-equipped, sometimes even more so than their opponents) suffered catastrophically greater losses than the German Army as a whole. The point I was trying to make here was that ANOTHER crisis in 'morale', at Stalingrad, combined with the ones the Soviets had already suffered at Leningrad, Kiev, and a dozen other cities, might be too great a cumulative blow for the Red Army to sustain. A defeat at Stalingrad, like the capture of Moscow, might not have spelled doom for the Soviet Union in and of itself; but the repercussions would be significant, and affect the course and conduct of the rest of the War. Stalingrad's importance as an industrial city IS overstated, of course - after it had been reduced to rubble it had ceased to be a production center at all, and in those terms it was no longer important to the Soviet war effort. But its position on the Volga WAS important, it was the main aim of Army Group South, and there were other crucial strategic reasons for its defense. Also, Stalingrad DID turn out to be a morale victory for the Red Army, and a humiliating blow to the Germans - the surrender of the Sixth Army and its commander von Paulus, who had just been promoted to Field Marshal, severely weakened Hitler's personal reputation and the historic reputation of the Wehrmacht, which had never lost a Field Marshal in the field before. (Hitler hd promoted von Paulus in the hopes that doing so would encourage his Sixth Army to fight on to the end, even though defeat was certain; the ploy did not work, and compounded Hitler's error with even greater misfortune.) In 20th century warfare, just as in modern warfare, and any form of war conducted throughout history, morale is ALWAYS a key ingredient of success. So many battles have been fought, won or lost NOT along the grounds of superior firepower, or numbers, or tactical advantage, but because the troops are better motivated, or have a motivated and inspiring leader. Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt is a shining example. If historians have since decided that Stalingrad and the propaganda frenzy that attended the battle were 'really not that important', as a sort of revisionist challenge to the widely accepted view that Stalingrad indeed WAS the turning-point of the War, then a lot of Soviet soldiers and officers at the time DID, so did the western spectators (Churchill awarded Stalin with a sword of honour for his victory at Teheran in 1943), so there must surely be a degree of truth in that argument.

Aedes - these are all murky issues, I agree. As for whether or not Hitler had always intended to exterminate the Jewish race - yes, he did speak vociferously about the subject, many years before he brought his words and warnings to fruition. In Mein Kampf he spoke explicitly about the 'scourge' of the Jewish race and the 'great cleansing' that was needed to remove it. However, to my mind there is a big difference between suggesting or talking about doing something - especially something as horrific as the Holocaust - and actually making it a reality. Some people talk about committing murder for years and years before they actually do it; sometimes they are just talking, and it never happens. If every person who has had an occasional violent outburst was arrested in prison, as a potential homicidal maniac (a la The Minority Report), our prisoners would be full of innocent convicted criminals. Hitler did not begin, or attempt, the systematic expulsion or murder of people until he had the means and the power to do so. And perhaps (being unable of course to foresee the future) he did not intend or expect to realize his dreams, when he was writing about them in 1923. The Final Solution was, if anything, the product of a deranged mind, and it is entirely reasonable that Hitler by 1940 was insane, if not even during the early days of his Chancellorship. Simply because Hitler WROTE about the Final Solution in his cell in Munich, did not make it a foregone conclusion that it was going to happen. Otherwise, surely the Allies would have done something to stop him? One wonders how people in Europe in 1930, reading this book for the first time, were not startled and concerned by his insinuations: one can assume that they, too, put them to do the ravings of an insane mind. And furthermore - this is my last argument, and as good as any - if Hitler had intended all along to take over Europe, why did he begin expelling Jews from Germany after 1935 when he meant to kill them all along? Such questions do not have answers, and must raise further questions.

You commented of the Nuremberg Laws, "No, they had a bigger function than that -- they stripped Jews of political, professional, and economic power, and ultimately stripped them of citizenship". I DID actually say that in my earlier post: "Their function was to define who was and wasn't a Jew (you were Jewish if you were of the first, second or third generation), strip Jews of their property and civil rights, even of their status as German civilians, and even deny them certain human rights accorded to other (non-Jewish) Germans." Well, it's easy to miss something.

To the books by Beevor and Erikson (I have dipped into Beevor's book, by the way, and I have read his book Stalingrad), might I add a suggestion: read Max Hastings' Armageddon. Hastings has been accused by some of being a journalist than an historian, and indeed there is sort of a 'traveller's guide' feel to his history - at least the books I have read - but Armageddon is a lively and interesting account of the Eastern Front. From what I have gathered reading it, mass-exterminations gathered pace in 1941 and 42, as you yourself pointed out, but this was because these were the years in which the Germans made their greatest gains; afterwards the Eastern Front developed into an impasse, then a free-for-all, and finally a rout as the Wehrmacht in 1943/1944 were steadily pushed back to their home country. Because the invaders were most successful during these two years, in terms of territorial gains, it makes sense that they would be capturing more prisoners; the fact that fewer people were being executed in 1943, 1944 or 1945, while it might point STATISTICALLY to the suggestion that the Holocaust was 'letting off steam', and therefore becoming a less 'important' part of the wider war, this does not mean that the Holocaust was any less a prominent part of Hitler's war policy. I stand by my earlier statement (I do however respect your input) that mass-exterminations were NOT a key feature of Hitler's war policy at the start - true, many millions of people WERE put into concentration camps and killed, long before the Eastern Front became a bloodbath - but it was not initially a planned, coherent policy. After 1942 that began to change, fuelled by Hitler's fury, increasingly irrational judgment, and ill-founded belief that the 'untermenschen' themselves were to blame for the reverse in fortunes. The Wannsee Conference may not have 'authorized' the Final Solution proper - perhaps it was simply a communication of that order from the higher-ups to the forces doing their work - but it represents the point at which the nature of the exterminations began to change, from random, senseless killings into a ruthless, calculated conquest of genocide and enslavement. Henceforth this was a major element and aim of Hitler's Eastern War, but not before.

I invite you to continue this discussion, Aedes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added 07-09-2009 at 06:56 AM ----------

Aedes;75989 wrote:
Thanks for your post, James.

That was a different classification and for a different purpose.

The classification of Jews was discussed at length there according to the transcript that Eichmann took there, as well as his testimony when on trial.

Yes, that's what I said. The formal purpose of this part of the Wannsee conference was to subordinate all activities against the Jews under the SS, as administered by the RHSA (though this changed when forced labor became official policy as well, so the RHSA was not the only involved government organ).

Around 600,000 Jews fled Germany before the war. Many of them were imported from surrounding countries and killed anyway, because the US and Britain were very reluctant to accept Jews.

Correct.

No, they had a bigger function than that -- they stripped Jews of political, professional, and economic power, and ultimately stripped them of citizenship.

I never said anything to the contrary. That is correct.

That's not much of a matter of debate if his speeches and if his writing in Mein Kampf bear testimony to it.

The Wannsee Conference was NOT "authorization of the Final Solution". It was a communication of this policy to people outside the RHSA and SS.

No they were NOT Poles!!

While from Sept 1939 until June 1941, Poles were killed in large numbers as part of the ethnic cleansing / lebensraum program, the Jews were not particularly singled out except for ghettoization, and died in relatively small numbers. The einsatzgruppen killed the Polish intelligentsia, but did not massacre Jews at the time.

But from June 1941 onward, the einsatzgruppen went into action in the occupied Soviet Union. The einsatzgruppen operated in the Baltic States, in Ukraine, in Belarus, and in Russia. Separate actions against Jews took place in Romania and Yugoslavia, but these were mainly carried out by local populations with SS support.

The vast majority of the einsatzgruppen killings happened before Wannsee ever took place. They are thought to have killed between 1 million and 1.5 million Jews altogether, but most of this was in the beginning months of the war -- later on the einsatzgruppen were disbanded and many of these were incorporated into Waffen SS units or Wermacht formations.

The Polish Jews were killed en masse AFTER Wannsee, as result of Operation Reinhard, which established an experimental death camp at Chelmno and operational death camps at Treblinka, Sobibor, Belzec, and Majdanek. Between 2 million and 2.5 million Jews died in these camps, nearly all Poles, and nearly all in 1942-1943. The reason 1942 was such a deadly year after Wannsee is that Operation Reinhard started, Auschwitz-Birknau was functional, and the einsatzgruppen were still operational.

Auschwitz-Birkenau was also a killing center for Polish Jews (two of my grandparents were sent there from Lodz, Poland), but by the time it took over as the main killing center most of the Jews in the "general government" of occupied Poland were dead. Fully 1/3 of the Jews who died at Auschwitz were from Hungary, and imported from elsewhere in occupied Europe (incl Germany).

Then you believe incorrectly. Systematic extermination of the Jews began in 1941. Systematic extermination of Soviet POWs also began in 1941 (3 million dead between June 1941 and Jan 1942). This is not even debatable.

[URL="http://[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsatzgruppen""]Einsatzgruppen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL][URL="http://</p><p> </p><p><a href="http://[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Death_squads_.281941.E2.80.931943.29"" target="_blank">The Holocaust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</a>]Timeline of Holocaust"]

[URL="http://[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Death_squads_.281941.E2.80.931943.29""]The Holocaust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL] (linked to a specific section of this article)[/URL]

Nazi crimes against Soviet POWs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Table of estimated Jewish deaths by year (copied from Wiki):
1933-1940 under 100,000
1941 1,100,000
1942 2,700,000
1943 500,000
1944 600,000
1945 100,000

This adds up to 5.0 million during the war years. Most historians estimate 5.9 million total. Whatever the actual total, 1941 was the second most lethal year of the Holocaust.

I think the evidence suggests that one of the main reasons he waged war specifically for the slaughter of Jews, partly because he conflated the idea of Jews with that of Bolshevism. His writing and speeches suggest this from as early as the 1920s, and he and Goebbels both prattled constantly about Jews as a plague that needed to be eradicated. In 1937 or 1938 he gave a speech in which he threatened the destruction of the Jews if another war developed.

You're wrong about this. Please look it up.

From the USHMM website:

Stalingrad was symbolically important, but not enough to justify the million people who died in or as a result of that battle. Whether Stalingrad or some other town, the importance was that between the Volga and the Black Sea was the Nazi road to the Caucasus, and somewhere in there the Germans needed to provide security for their expedition to the Caucasian oil fields. If the Germans had walked into Stalingrad uncontested, then the battle would have happened somewhere else.

By the way, I've seen Enemy at the Gates twice, and I don't think it portrays the battle accurately or comprehensively at all. Read "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor, "The Road to Stalingrad" and "The Road to Berlin" by John Erickson, and read "A Writer at War" (Antony Beevor's compilation of the journals of Vasily Grossman).

It was not a pyrrhic victory at all! It was a major tactical victory and a major strategic victory. (Pyrrhic victories generally mean tactical victories but strategic losses). I mean you're right that the Soviets suffered more casualties, but in the Eastern Front as a whole they suffered 4 times as many as the Germans, but there is no doubt as to who the winners of that war were. The Soviets also suffered more casualties at Kursk and at Moscow.

Stalingrad destroyed the entire German 6th army and much of the 4th Panzer army. Never had Germany suffered a defeat on that scale. Furthermore, the momentum of the victory and the subsequent Operation Saturn threatened to cut off the remainder of Army Group South, which was in the Caucasus and would have been trapped if the Red Army had made it to the Black Sea in time, so Stalingrad created a major gain in territory. The Germans withdrew rapidly (and their withdrawal was costly) from that whole region, and after back and forth exchanges at Kharkov they had only one offensive left in them at Kursk.

The propagandists loved that, but it's just not true. Morale is overrated. When the Soviets lost 600,000 troops to an encirclement at Kiev, THAT was cause for loss of morale. When the Germans began to bomb Moscow (and they had to evacuate Lenin's pickled body from the mauseleum), THAT was cause for loss of morale. When the Germans made it all the way to the Volga and the Caucasus, THAT was cause for loss of morale. Stalingrad, compared with cities like Kiev, Minsk, Riga, Odessa, Sebastopol, and Leningrad, was not all that important.

---------- Post added 07-08-2009 at 06:41 PM ----------

Its role in the eventuality of WWII is grossly overrated.

It was NOT a fair treaty, and it was meant to be punitive and not reconstructive. That is clear. But the use of it as a propaganda weapon is FAR disproportionate to its actual relevance.

Fundamentally, WWII happened because the conflicts that flared in WWI were never satisfactorily resolved. Four empires collapsed in WWI (Kaiser Germany, Tsarist Russia, Austria-Hungary, and Ottoman Turkey). In their wake was left ultranationalist idealogues fighting it out, in a brutal civil war in the cases of Russia and Spain. Mutually incompatible military powers rose to prominence in the political and economic melee that followed.

If you're interested in this subject, I'd suggest you read "War of the World" by the British historian Niall Fergusson. His thesis is that the first half of the 20th century represented an enormous civil war within Western civilization, in fact a quasi-suicide attempt. He goes into extraordinary detail about factors such as economic changes, mass movement of refugees, and the connectedness of various atrocities such as the Armenian genocide, the Holocaust, Stalin's purges and famines, and the Japanese atrocities in mainland Asia as having common underlying themes.

WWII, and the rise of Naziism, was probably independent of Versailles. No one would have cared about Versailles if Germany had been more prosperous under the Weimar government.

"Its role in the eventuality of WWII is grossly overrated."

See the first part of my earlier post for a more detailed response to this statement.

"It was NOT a fair treaty, and it was meant to be punitive and not reconstructive."

Totally agree with you there.

"But the use of it as a propaganda weapon is FAR disproportionate to its actual relevance."

How could the Treaty of Versailles be anything but relevant? It was this Treaty which humiliated the German people, stripped them of their possessions, denied them an army or navy substantial enough even for the purpose of national self-defense, and made Germany, formerly a progressive, industrial, economically-developed European power, into a greatly weakened international pariah.
As for its use as a 'propaganda weapon' - of course the Nazis did the Treaty of Versailles as a tool to justify their conquest of Europe, and their ideas of a 'Greater Germany.' But they weren't alone in their contempt of Versailles, or of the people and nations who had so humiliated them.

"Fundamentally, WWII happened because the conflicts that flared in WWI were never satisfactorily resolved. Four empires collapsed in WWI (Kaiser Germany, Tsarist Russia, Austria-Hungary, and Ottoman Turkey). In their wake was left ultranationalist idealogues fighting it out, in a brutal civil war in the cases of Russia and Spain. Mutually incompatible military powers rose to prominence in the political and economic melee that followed."

This is an area with which I am not familiar, and so I will have to do some more research on it before I can give an adequate response. However, I do believe that Versailles was not the ONLY contributing factor to the breakdown of European relations post-1919 and the eventual emergence of the Nazi Party.

"If you're interested in this subject, I'd suggest you read "War of the World" by the British historian Niall Fergusson. His thesis is that the first half of the 20th century represented an enormous civil war within Western civilization, in fact a quasi-suicide attempt. He goes into extraordinary detail about factors such as economic changes, mass movement of refugees, and the connectedness of various atrocities such as the Armenian genocide, the Holocaust, Stalin's purges and famines, and the Japanese atrocities in mainland Asia as having common underlying themes."

Having not read Niall Fergusson's book, and knowing less about inter-war socio-political movements in Europe, I am unable to comment on this point. The idea of the Second World War as an 'enormous civil war within Western civilization' is a tantalizing one. But I don't see how it is connected with Stalin's purges or famines. After the Russian Revolution the Soviets did everything in their power to distance and isolate themselves from the Western world, as they wanted no truck with its problems (although they did continue to influence the various communist movements that existed in Germany, in Hungary, in Italy and France that existed at this time.) This is one reason why the Soviet Union was so little affected by the Great Depression, because it had so few economic ties with the West. The Collectivisation famine was brought about by an attempt by Stalin, horribly mishandled, to clamp down on the kulaks, the landed peasants who were resisting agricultural reform, and a much broader effort to revolutionize and modernize the Soviet economy, which was lagging behind its western rivals. The purges were a direct response to the many of the problems in the Soviet Union at this time, no doubt exacerbated by the reforms, to punish and eradicate his political enemies and rivals (some of whom were former early revolutionaries, Bolsheviks and Mensheviks both), and assert and consolidate his own authority within the Party. How this connects with the Armenian genocide, the rise of Nazism and the Holocaust or anything else I don't understand. There might be a connection, but it seems to me that 1930 to 1945 was more simply a terrible era in human history, in which many appalling things happened throughout the world, many of them having little relation to each other; the fact that these things all happened within a close timeframe does not imply a necessary connection.

I will, however, look into Fergusson's book when I have the chance.

"WWII, and the rise of Naziism, was probably independent of Versailles. No one would have cared about Versailles if Germany had been more prosperous under the Weimar government."

As you'll see if you read my earlier post, that runs completely counter to my understanding of the War and why it came about as well as the general consensus of western historians. Perhaps people in America have a different perspective on this matter. But Versailles was absolutely crucial to what happened in the two decades between WWI and WWII. The rise of Nazism could *not* have been independent of Versailles, not by any stroke of the imagination, because the National Socialist movement could never have achieved widespread legitimacy and support were it not for the effect of Versailles on the collective German psyche, Germany's economy, and the belief it fostered among the German people that they had been 'betrayed' in the War and never properly defeated, by subversive elements within their government and society. All these elements combined to form the Nazi movement and make it what it was: reactionary, racist, anti-liberal, anti-progressive, aggressive. Using the same argument, it is possible the Nazi movement would never have rose to power if it weren't for the Great Depression, and the terrible effect of that on the German people. The Nazis naturally drew their supporters from among the disenfranchised, the impoverished, the disaffected - Hitler embodied all those qualities - and the Depression, combined with Germany's already frail economic situation - created poverty, confusion, disenchantment and hostility on a mass scale. Henceforth the National Socialists' roster of supporters, drawn especially from among the unemployed and the working-classes, grew dramatically. If history had been otherwise, the Nazis might well have remained a second-rate reactionary movement, confined to the peripheries of violence and politics, and would never have found itself appointed to power.

"No one would have cared if Germany had been more prosperous under the Weimar government."

Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of this. The point of the Weimar government is that it was a PRODUCT of the Versailles Treaty, and therefore it was tainted by association. Also, the character of the German people ran squarely counter to British, French and American ideas of what constituted the best government. Regardless of whether the Weimar Republic prospered or NOT, it would never find favour; and as things turned out the German Republic proved itself woefully incapable of dealing with the plight that emerged during the 1920s and 30s. Few incompetent governments are ever admired, but as long as they are able to engender the support of the people, they are tolerated. George W. Bush's administration and especially his foreign policy were a hopeless shambles, but for a brief time after 9/11 Bush had the highest popularity rating of any President; it did not matter that Bush had 'won' the first election dubiously, or that he was at least partly to blame for the catastrophe, that he had failed to make adequate preparation or devise a suitable solution, or even that he spoke with all the eloquence and conviction of a ninth-grader. Because Bush was able to convince the American people that he was doing what *they* thought was in their best interests, he was tolerated and even briefly popular while in office. That did not last, of course. But the Weimar Republic had no legitimacy and no support from the get-go, and it could never *make* its legitimate or 'accepted'; it was almost bound to collapse, eventually. The only uncertainty was which government would replace it.
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 05:58 am
@Alan McDougall,
James you are indeed a man of words. I have read through your post and it is historically correct, but nevertheless, Hitler did not need to start that war, Germany was beginning to get on its feet and and trying to find excuses for the actions of a monster like Hitler and consolidated all Germany into Hitler's dogma is wrong.

There were some 23 attempts to assassinate Hitler that indicates to me he was not so much adored but feared

IT was really the old story of power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
"I have put a few of the real prime reasons for WW2 I am old enough to remember much of it"

Expansionism (Imperialism/Colonialism)

European Civil War

Weimar Republic

The Great Depression

Rise of Fascism in Italy

Fascism German type

Nationalism

Nazi dictatorship

Militarism

Racism

Problems with the Treaty of Versailles

Dissolution of Austria-Hungary

Competition for resources

Problems with the League of Nations

Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact

Invasion of Poland

Invasion of the Soviet Union

World war two can you separate Hitler from Any of the above factors leading to the war and NAZI atrocities............................................55 million people die, remove Hitler from the equation and what would the statistic be??

Militarism

Problems with the Treaty of Versailles

Dissolution of Austria-Hungary

Competition for resources

Problems with the League of Nations

Invasion of the Soviet Union

james gravil

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:05 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;76069 wrote:
James you are indeed a man of words. I have read through your post and it is historically correct, but nevertheless, Hitler did not need to start that war, Germany was beginning to get on its feet and and trying to find excuses for the actions of a monster like Hitler and consolidated all Germany into Hitler's dogma is wrong.

There were some 23 attempts to assassinate Hitler that indicates to me he was not so much adored but feared

IT was really the old story of power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Thanks for the compliment. "Germany was beginning to get on its feet" - I believe it was largely due to Hitler and the Nazi Party's actions that Germany was able to reindustrialize and grow its economy after 1934, in preparation for war. Whether this would have been happened anyway is a moot point. And yes, Hitler was feared, but he was also admired, and not without reason, since he achieved much in his first years of office - and his conquests of Poland and France made him a German national hero. It was only late in the War that concerted efforts were made to remove him - the July 1944 plot being the most famous example - although there is ample evidence of conspiracy long before this.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 08:46 am
@james gravil,
james_gravil;76041 wrote:
I believe, instead it was an excessively punitive series of measures designed to chastise the German people for their part in the bloodshed, between 1914 and 1918.
Some argue that it was not punitive enough. It was too strong to placate Germans, but it was too weak to prevent another war.

Historical assessments of Versailles

Role of Versailles in WWII

Versailles imposed many brutal and insuperable demands on the German people: impossible reparations, the demilitarization of the Rhineland, severe limitations on its army and navy, the foundation of a Weimar Republic that proved most unpopular, and later incapable of dealing with the social and political upheavals of the Great Depression
And yet after Versailles Germany was still economically stronger than any other continental power including France. Furthermore, the treaty of Brest-Litovsk imposed by Germany on Russia was far more punitive than Versailles.

II don't think Versailles' importance can be overstated. It is cited by most western historians as a major reason, or 'condition', for both Hitler's rise to power and the Second World War.
You have to separate causal factors from rhetorical factors. A "war guilt clause" imposed by France and Britain simply cannot explain why 3 million German infantrymen launched into the Soviet Union in June of 1941.

Furthermore, the MAIN proximate factor for WWII was the rise of a bellicose regime in Germany. They were going to seek war with whatever rhetoric. Versailles was NOT why the Nazis came to power -- they came to power because they had street armies and forced Hindenberg into a power sharing government. They had popular support because they had a charismatic angry leader who could tickle the fancy of angry disaffected young men. He used Jews, Bolsheviks, Versailles, stab-in-the-back, whatever as rhetoric. But Hitler was an angry man before Versailles was ratified. And his regime did not wage war in order to nullify Versailles -- which was a treaty that the Soviet Union (or Tsarist Russia for that matter) had no part in.

However, to my mind there is a big difference between suggesting or talking about doing something - especially something as horrific as the Holocaust - and actually making it a reality.
He needed the right context to make it a reality. The huge, lawless area of occupied Eastern Europe after 1939 and esp 1941 put millions of Jews into his dominion. So the generic plan to eradicate Europe of Jews (and Palestine as he said in his own words!!) became a technical problem once the war started. He charged Himmler with this practical task. It got going pretty quickly, but it took until 1942 for them to figure out the most efficient way -- which was ghettos -> trains -> gas chambers.

ISimply because Hitler WROTE about the Final Solution in his cell in Munich, did not make it a foregone conclusion that it was going to happen.
Yes, as I say the pieces didn't fall into place until the war started. If Stalin had prepared a functional defense of the Soviet Union, and thereby either prevented war with Germany or prevented the extent of invasion, it's likely that the great majority of Nazi crimes against civilians in Eastern Europe would have been prevented. Hitler needed free reign to enact his plans.

IOne wonders how people in Europe in 1930, reading this book for the first time, were not startled and concerned by his insinuations
I can tell you that my grandparents, who were Jews in Poland and in Hungary, have said that they were terrified of the Nazis long before the war ever happened.

Well, it's easy to miss something.
Thanks, yeah, the posts are long and I have limited time.

might I add a suggestion: read Max Hastings' Armageddon.
I liked 'Overlord' by Hastings.

the fact that fewer people were being executed in 1943, 1944 or 1945, while it might point STATISTICALLY to the suggestion that the Holocaust was 'letting off steam'
It wasn't at all... I think the number of casualties listed in 1943 and 1944 is an understatement in that table I provided, I mean 470,000 Hungarian Jews died in the summer of 1944 alone, as many as 14,000 per day at Auschwitz-Birkenau. The Lodz ghetto in Poland was liquidated a couple months later. The Holocaust consisted of several discrete "operations" -- most importantly the ghettoizations in 1939-1940, the pogroms in parts of the occupied USSR and in Romania, the mass shootings in 1941-1942, the liquidation of Jews in the generalgovernment in Operation Reinhard in 1942-1943, the import and extermination of foreign Jews at Auschwitz from 1942-1944, the forced labor programs, and the death marches in 1945.

But I don't see how it is connected with Stalin's purges or famines.
There were internal conflicts within ideological regimes, including the USSR, Spain, Italy, Germany, Finland, etc. This canonized both brutality and centrality of power.

The rise of Nazism could *not* have been independent of Versailles
If that's true, it's only because Versailles was too weak to effectively prevent Germany from becoming an economic and industrial force. The psychological effect of Versailles was a trifle compared with the psychological effect of having lost the war.

Ok, gotta go, I've got a brutally busy day.
james gravil

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 10:16 am
@Aedes,
Quote:
If that's true, it's only because Versailles was too weak to effectively prevent Germany from becoming an economic and industrial force. The psychological effect of Versailles was a trifle compared with the psychological effect of having lost the war.

The psychological effect of Versailles merely compounded the psychological effect of losing the War. Losing the War was a slap in the face to Germany; Versailles was like a cold bucket of water thrown in the face after that.
Quote:

I can tell you that my grandparents, who were Jews in Poland and in Hungary, have said that they were terrified of the Nazis long before the war ever happened.

What I meant to say, and should perhaps have put more clearly, was: How many people actually believed Adolf Hitler was serious, when he wrote about exterminating the Jews? Your grandparents may have been terrified of the Nazis, but did they have any inkling that Hitler's plans of 'racial cleansing' might actually come true? Or were they more worried in general?

Quote:
the MAIN proximate factor for WWII was the rise of a bellicose regime in Germany. They were going to seek war with whatever rhetoric. Versailles was NOT why the Nazis came to power -- they came to power because they had street armies and forced Hindenberg into a power sharing government. They had popular support because they had a charismatic angry leader who could tickle the fancy of angry disaffected young men. He used Jews, Bolsheviks, Versailles, stab-in-the-back, whatever as rhetoric. But Hitler was an angry man before Versailles was ratified. And his regime did not wage war in order to nullify Versailles -- which was a treaty that the Soviet Union (or Tsarist Russia for that matter) had no part in.

True, the Nazi regime was a regime that thrived on rhetoric, but it also needed a basis for its actions and a reason, an ideology with which to entice public support. Young men were angry and disaffected because they were unemployed and were living in poverty, because they felt that they had been 'victimized' by the victors of the First World War and also by the economic downturn. These were all things that they, a youth that had been too young to fight in the War, had no control over and could not understand.

I can tell you, if I lost my job, my house, my family, my livelihood all in a day because of an event I had absolutely no control over, a stock market crash on an American street right on the other side of the world, I would be pretty angry and disaffected too. Such a thing might even entice me to join a radical political party. Heck, I haven't got a job now, and although there are and always have been few opportunities where I live it's probable I would have found something in the last six months if it weren't for this dratted recession. So many shops and businesses closing down... it's a shame.

Hitler was charismatic, yes, but he was successful not just because of his spellbinding oratory. His words spoke to people, and those people largely agreed with what he said and were furthermore frustrated by their incompetent leaders and their ailing political system. They wanted change, and they wanted things to get better, and they wanted it to happen in their lifetime. Remind you of anyone? No, I'm not likening Adolf Hitler to Barack Obama, but the similarities are stunning: a man who is a complete unknown arrives on the scene as a bumbling, idiotic President prepares to leave office, after years of economic disaster and disastrous foreign policy; he speaks words of change and a return to former glory, and half the nation worships him. The young, the unemployed, the dispossessed, especially had reason to be captivated. This happened in America in as well as Germany. It is never enough just to have a charismatic, inspirational leader; he has to say something, he has to speak to the people, and the people have to listen to him and to agree with and understand what he is saying. Churchill was such a man; so were George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. They arrived when their countries needed them. There are thousands, millions of charming, intelligent, well-spoken people in the world, but not all of them achieve the same level of success as Adolf Hitler did. Why? Because they don't say something, or what they say doesn't seem to matter. Bill Clinton could be charming when he wanted to, but what was he all about anyway? I forget.

The Soviet Union / Tsarist Russia had nothing to do, as you point out, with the Treaty of Versailles (Russia jumped the gun in 1917, a year before the war ended), but that wasn't the point. Hitler had multiple goals, and we shouldn't conflate his goals in Europe with wanted in the East.

Hitler's foreign policy had three main objectives:

1/ A 'Greater Germany', comprising Germany proper, Austria, and the other Germanic territories that were not part of Germany; this goal Hitler accomplished before 1939, after Anschluss with Austria and the occupation of the Sudetenland.

2/ Revenge on the arbitrators of the Treaty of Versailles: France primarily, since Britain had so far appeased Germany and thus avoided her wrath. 'Peace in our time', between Germany and Britain, was a goal that Hitler cherished as much as Chamberlain. Hitler did not, some historians suggest, expect Chamberlain to respond when he invaded Poland; Britain had appeased him so far, even when under obligation to Czechoslovakia.

3/ Hitler's primary and ultimate goal: Lebensraum in the East (which could only be achieved by conquest, the occupation of Eastern Europe and the Soviet territories), and the 'racial cleansing' of the 'inferior' Slavic and Jewish peoples who lived in those countries, to make room for the Aryan Germanic race. These twin objectives naturally went hand in hand. The swift conquest of Western Europe in 1939 and 1940 (Britain was only a minor setback in Hitler's plans) can be seen as a prelude to this much larger conquest.

Hitler's reason for hating the French was fairly simple. He did not entertain a racial or ideological hatred of them; neither he did the British race, or the Italians, or the Spaniards, or any other so-called 'Aryan' culture or civilization. His hatred of the 'untermenschen' and of Soviet Communism, however, was entirely racial and ideological in basis.

Quote:
And yet after Versailles Germany was still economically stronger than any other continental power including France. Furthermore, the treaty of Brest-Litovsk imposed by Germany on Russia was far more punitive than Versailles.

Was it? Economically stronger perhaps, but Germany's status as a military and naval power was greatly diminished after Versailles. By the turn of the twentieth century, Germany was already beginning to encroach on Britain's hegemony as the industrial Power, the 'workshop of the world'; but it had other designs also, and one of those was establishing itself as an Imperial power to rival Britain or France. This ambition was thwarted by its defeat in the Great War. Germany may not have lost its status as an economic power after 1918, but it never got what it wanted, and what it went to war for in the first place never earned dividends. The Versailles Treaty took away a lot of the colonies that Germany and her allies had acquired over the course of the War, so ending her short stint as an Imperial power. Germany would realize her Imperial ambitions later on, and Hitler was the man with the purpose and the ambition to achieve that.

Quote:
I liked 'Overlord' by Hastings.

I too have read Overlord. A good book, but not as good as Armageddon in my opinion. Read it, if you can pick up a copy!
Aedes

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:59 pm
@james gravil,
james_gravil;76104 wrote:
How many people actually believed Adolf Hitler was serious, when he wrote about exterminating the Jews?
Not enough -- but no one seriously believed there would be another world war either.

Your grandparents may have been terrified of the Nazis, but did they have any inkling that Hitler's plans of 'racial cleansing' might actually come true? Or were they more worried in general?
They knew he hated and persecuted Jews. But at the time they had no idea what was in store (for themselves). In 1933-1934 my mom's parents were very young, but when Poland was invaded in 1939 they were 13 and 16 and their forboding was commonly shared.

His words spoke to people, and those people largely agreed with what he said and were furthermore frustrated by their incompetent leaders and their ailing political system.
Not to everyone, though. Hitler only at the very end, and with a lot of street-level thuggery and intimidation was able to foster a Nazi plurality in the Reichstag, and he was never elected himself -- so one cannot overstate his personal appeal. The problem is that he had raised an army in the SA that was a threat even to Germany's national army (yes which was quite weakened after Versailles).

Hitler's reason for hating the French was fairly simple. He did not entertain a racial or ideological hatred of them; neither he did the British race, or the Italians, or the Spaniards, or any other so-called 'Aryan' culture or civilization. His hatred of the 'untermenschen' and of Soviet Communism, however, was entirely racial and ideological in basis.
Although he did rail on a lot about the 'judeocapitalists' in Britain and America -- much more so than he ever did about the French.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 05:59 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Hi James,

Like Paul (Aedes) I am Jewish on my mothers side making me a technical Jew. My mother was a Jew of Polish origin and our family would have been slaughtered in a manner more cruel than any animal slaughter house and I would not be keying in this post to you

It is I who started this thread and the idea behind it was if Hitler had never been born how would world history differed
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:03 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;76472 wrote:
he idea behind it was if Hitler had never been born how would world history differed

Richard Nixon would have had to find some other political play book to dream about at night.
Aedes

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;76475 wrote:
Richard Nixon would have had to find some other political play book to dream about at night.
so would a lot of people -- from Roosevelt all the way to Goering
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:13 pm
@Aedes,
Hitler let the cat out of the bag - and that beast sure ain't goin' back without a fight.
0 Replies

james gravil

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 02:54 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Quote:
It is I who started this thread and the idea behind it was if Hitler had never been born how would world history differed

Okay, sorry Alan, my original post was on this subject but was distracted by other peoples' queries and allowed myself to drawn away on a tangent. A flaw common among historians (I could name a few, actually.) In fairness though, such a thought experiment invites all kinds of speculation, and almost everything I have brought up in my posts so far - my response to William's query on the Treaty of Versailles, for example - bears on this subject in some way. Positing an answer to such a question as this is rather like putting together a jigsaw; in this case, it might take over a lifetime to assemble the pieces and you would never reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Perhaps you have heard of Chaos Theory, or, as it is more commonly known, the "Butterfly Effect." The theory goes that a butterfly could flap its wings in Tokyo, and a storm might flare up in New York City. The two events might appear unconnected but this is the nature of 'Chaos', its utter inscrutability and unpredictability.

On tackling a subject as complicated and contentious as this, that theory is well worth bearing in mind. Adolf Hitler, as I have pointed out in a previous post, was in many an unexceptional individual. He was simply the right person in the right place at the right time. Or perhaps the wrong person. If he had come along at any other time, if the circumstances and conditions that were necessary for his rise to power were just a little bit different, he would not have achieved what he did. History is full of examples of such men. The Second World War might well have happened without Hitler - as I suggested before it was a product of various historic developments in Europe, the Treaty of Versailles being one - but it would probably have taken on a different character and dimension. The Holocaust, however, almost certainly would not have happened, unless another person similar to Hitler possessing his ambition, ideological fanaticism and pathological hatred of Jews came to power - in which case this whole discussion becomes rather redundant.

One could write an entire essay, a book, a compendium of books on this matter - "what would the world have been like without Hitler?" - and never come to a final conclusion. Ultimately there are so many variables, so many unknowns, so many might-have-beens that the division between mere speculation and scholarly conjecture becomes very blurry. It also depends on what timeframe you're thinking of. If you're thinking "What would Germany have been like around 1940 without Hitler?", that is a rather different question from "What would the world have been like todayThe Age of Extremes: The Short Twentieth Centurykulaks, the landed peasantry who most resisted this reform, needed to "have their backs broken" (in Stalin's words.) Russia has a particularly brutal and bloodthirsty history, but if such a measure had been in Britain in the 17th or 18th century, it probably would have happened, and British historians would have been scrambling to defend it ever since.

The fact is, a Communist regime might have been vaster more successful in Germany than in Russia, and if so, France and Italy (two other European countries with large Communist movements) might also be encouraged to adopt a communist system. Thus half of Europe would, conceivably in the course of a decade, if not even sooner, become communist. The Great Depression would be the perfect set-up. It is said that war and revolution go together; an economic downturn, however, on the scale of the Depression, could prove just as dramatic and effective. One can well imagine that Stalin's Comintern would be watching these developments with frenzied excitement, and do all in its power to accelerate the pace of 'world revolution': this might itself prove the catalyst for a war, on the same kind of ideological grounds as the Cold War, but obviously of a completely different nature. The real-life Cold War was a war of deterrence fought by proxy, neither the Americans nor the Soviets engaged each other directly at any point; they used other countries to further their agendas. It was a war of deterrence because of the presence of nuclear weapons and Mutually Assured Destruction; it is too far a flight of fancy to imagine that nukes would exist at this time in our 'alternate time-line', so this war would probably be more conventional in character.

As with the Cold War, the opposing ideologies in this case would be capitalism/Imperialism and communism; but the main protagonists would not be the US and the Soviet Union. I do not believe that America would be at the forefront of this war. Britain rather would take its place. Remember that Britain in the 1930s (and it might still have been in the 1940s and 50s, if history had been otherwise, although the British Empire even before WWII was on the decline) was an Imperialist power, the greatest in the world; and Imperialism is as irrevocably incompatible with Communism as Capitalism. With its strong liberalism and sense of its own place and power, Britain would be reluctant to accede to the demands of the Third Communist International - if Stalin made such a move as to suggest that Britain adopt communism, even with the threat of war, it would flatly refuse. To do so Britain would have to relinquish her Empire, which she would of course fight passionately to defend, and submit to the will of a foreign power. (Stalin in the 1930s was determined on keeping his finger on 'the pulse' of the various Communist movements throughout Europe, and on impressing his will on them; this would not go down well in Britain.) The Soviets might respond with war; they might not. Who can say what form the struggle would take (if any), or where would be its centre? Russia seems to be most likely, but if the revolution in Germany had happened early on and communism by this time had established itself successfully, Stalin and his comrades might consider moving the seat of communist power to Berlin. In this case the World War, if it came about, would be centred on Germany. If the whole of Europe fell quickly under Stalin's dominion - and that is not beyond possibility, if you have heard of the 'domino effect', the theory that if one state is allowed to go Red, its neighbours will topple with it - things might look very bad for Great Britain.

As for America, the US would have very little to do with any of this - unless (as is always the way) its own interests and securities were threatened. In the 1930s America was at the height of its isolationism and determined to avoid being drawn into another European war at all costs. Historically the US has always had little to do with European affairs: other than a brief stint after the Great War, into which it was drawn reluctantly, with the ill-fated League of Nations and Woodrow Wilson's notion of America acting as the 'World Police', it has firmly kept its distance. The Second World War changed that, by forcing the US to confront enemies in the Pacific and Europe, and ever since America has been forced to take a more front-seat role in international affairs (which it has assumed with mixed reticence and relish.) So, as far as America's concerned, unless the US feels the need itself to be drawn into this communist-capitalist/Imperialist war, we can say: no Korea, no Vietnam, no 'American Empire', possibly even no nuclear weapons, since the atomic programme was founded and funded in response to the urgency of defeating Germany. But this is all speculation, of course.

Ultimately, even with Adolf Hitler out of the picture, Europe is almost bound to collapse into war at some point, and perhaps drag the rest of the world with it. Paradoxically, the absence of Hitler might even make war more likely, and perhaps more destructive. Let's look at what we know, and have considered.

1/ The Treaty of Versailles, and the frustration of Germany, ensure the possibility (but not the certainty) of a second European war: Germany nurses its hatred towards France, and the other victors of 1918.

2/ Stalin is building up his power in the Soviet Union, and seeking to expand his communist agenda. Without the presence of an active, forceful Nationalist Socialist Party in Germany (under the leadership of Hitler), Germany at some point in the Depression undergoes a communist revolution. She either falls under the aegis of the Soviet Union (and becomes, in foreign policy at least, an effective 'puppet' of the Stalinist regime), or, if the revolution is successful and she prospers under the new system, becomes the new capital of the Comintern and the new vanguard of world revolution.

3/ The presence of a Communist power in the middle of Europe (as opposed to far removed in Russia, and possibly more active in international affairs) creates tension and instability in the region. The closest parallel you can get to this is the creation of the State of Israel in the Muslim world in 1948 - a hotbed of disturbance.

4/ Britain is still an Imperial power, albeit one whose star is beginning to fall: her Imperial prestige was already on the decline before 1914, and the First World War accelerated that trend. She is now perhaps more vulnerable and threatened than ever, maybe even more so than at the time of the real-life Second World War: the shifting of the balance of power in Europe is cause for great concern. Britain, however, will do what she has always done: protect her colonies, defend her island and her interests, and play the historic 'power game' of manipulating the many states of Europe to ensure that no one power gains an advantage over the others and so becomes a threat to Britain itself.

5/ Self-interest, not altruism, is the guiding principle in Britain's case. In the event of a catastrophe Britain may, perhaps, make some kind of brotherly commitment to France or other threatened ally, like she did with Poland in the Second World War. However, if her role in the Munich Agreement and Hitler's dismemberment of Czechoslovakia is any indicator, this is by no means a given: Britain is equally as prepared to betray her allies as to defend them in an emergency, and the British people would much rather sit inside 'Fortress Britain' and be safe (as they did under Chamberlain, until Poland) than play the hero. Britain will not acquiesce to the Soviets, or to any power that demands the surrender of her Empire. She may, in a crisis, call on America for help. (Ironically, as America itself is an 'anti-imperialist' power, and so is President Roosevelt.)

6/ America too is driven by self-interest, and so is something of a wildcard in international affairs. Most likely the US will do anything in its power to maintain its isolation and its neutrality, unless it feels that its own security is threatened by the dominance of communism in Europe. Popular demand stopped Roosevelt from doing much while Hitler was taking over Europe in real history (although America did help Britain out during war-time, even before Pearl Harbour), but this is not unrealistic.

All in all, I think you'll see that the state of Europe without Hitler is a powder key just as dangerous as what actually happened, and how the absence of a single important individual can have a profound impact on history. This is all speculation of course, but educated speculation I hope, and I invite everyone on this forum who is interested to continue this thread. Let's just be glad that history has been and gone, and that most of us didn't have to experience it!
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:21 pm
@Alan McDougall,
I've got no disagreements with the above.

If you've ever read War and Peace, you can see that Tolstoy took great exception to the towering mythologization of Napoleon. He spends great attention, especially in the last chapter of the book, to deconstruct the idea of "exceptionalism", i.e. the idea of one person's superhuman influence, when they are merely the spearheads of far larger movements.

What's clear is that ultranationalism and xenophobia, i.e. fascism, was common in interwar Europe, not just in Germany. Obviously it happened in Italy, Spain, and Germany, but it also developed in southeastern Europe (somewhat under Nazi influence). And you can even argue that the idealogical differences between Bolshevism and Fascism were mainly cosmetic -- both fascist and communist societies centralized political and economic power, and had massive internal police enterprises.

So fascism, of which Nazism was but one particularly brutal example, was FAR above and beyond Hitler's persona or influence. The potential energy that drove the rise of extreme political parties was the same energy that drove Europe towards war.

You need only look at the first world war to see that reckless, bellicose nations can accidentally find themselves embroiled in an enormous conflict. But in WWII you had regimes that truly WANTED war in Hitler and Hirohito (Hitler craved war). But certainly in the case of both countries there were aggressive firebrands who would have probably found themselves spiralling towards war no matter what.