Consciousness is a Biological Problem

Poseidon

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:40 pm
@Kielicious,
The idea of the perfect circle, exists in the mind,
but nowhere in the brain is there a perfect circle,
indeed
nowhere in all of physics is there a perfect circle.

Also apply : zero, infinity, perfect geometry.

None of these concepts are in the brain in any physical format.
Yet, we know they exist.
So where do they exist?
nameless

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 12:53 am
@Poseidon,
Poseidon;70735 wrote:
The idea of the perfect circle, exists in the mind...

So where do they exist?

As you say, in the Mind.

All that exists, exists as perceived. The 'brain' is perceived, 'thoughts' are perceived, 'concepts' are perceived.
'Concepts' are found in 'thoughts' and 'memory' of the brain. But both 'thoughts' and 'memory' and 'brain' are perceived by Conscious Perspective.
"Consciousness is the Ground of All Being!" (QM -Copenhagen interpretation)

As for a 'perfect' circle, please define 'perfect'?
I find that given the appropriate Perspective, the complete Universe is every moment 'perfect', needing nothing, with no excesses or imbalance. Therefore everything in the Universe, every feature, is 'perfect'.
All apparent minor disequilibriums are merely features of the greater equilibrium seen through necessarily 'limited' eyes of the beholders.
Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:37 am
@nameless,
nameless;70787 wrote:

"Consciousness is the Ground of All Being!" (QM -Copenhagen interpretation)

So isn't our consciousness perceived too... by our consciousness, or so it would seem. Are you refuting the obviousness that consciousness is emergent since how can something be emergent if it grounds all being.

I think assigning a ground to anything only begs for a paradox, unless this quote is meant to be taken a little less literally.
hue-man

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:16 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;62360 wrote:
So I've always been curious as to why some people subscribe to the idea that the mind and brain are not connected. This has always puzzled me because I haven't really seen good, if any, evidence that the two are separate. Now, obviously from an ontological perspective the mind and brain are distinct but to go further and claim that the mind doesn't correspond to the brain seems unwarranted, to say the least. The opposing view (that the mind and brain are connected) seems quite obvious to me and I'll show why...

First example in support comes from everyday experience that anyone can test and experiment with, and that would be trauma of the brain. If you've ever been hit in the head really hard loss of consciousness can ensue. Now you may not want to be the test subject behind that particular experiment so a more painless way of testing this would be to play the 'pass-out game', which I'm sure most of you have heard of. All you do is breath really hard for about 30 seconds then have someone press against you neck to cut off circulation to your brain and tadah! you lose consciousness and pass-out.

Now the more serious examples come from neuroscience and neurosurgery. As unpleasant as it sounds, neurosurgery is conducted under local rather than general anesthesia because the brain lacks pain receptors, which means the subject is still awake when operated on. Stimulation of the brain led neurosurgery to considerable knowledge for mapping the functions of the brain. Localization of brain function began in the 1800s by Paul Brocawho connected language functions to the brain. Electrical stimulation of the motor cortex, performed by Fritsch and Hitzig, in rabbit and dog brain produced movement in the animals which furthered localization of functions within the brain. Additionally, neurosurgeon Wilder Penfield contributed a great deal of our understanding of the mapping of the brain. This list goes on and on, and such knowledge and understanding of the brain has produced ground-breaking machines like BCI's.

Finally, and I hope I'm not preaching to the choir when I say this, but look at drugs. If you still don't think the mind and brain are connected then why would neurotransmitters released and received in your synaptic gap cause distortion to your perception? Again, the connection seems obvious to me, but for those who prefer to avoid the razor the assumptions increase exponentially.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Alternative views:

Dualism which has been made famous by Descartes is the idea that there are two fundamental substances to reality--the physical and non-physical-and the non-physical mind (or consciousness or soul) should be distinguished from the brain. This led Descartes to believe that the mind could not only exist independent from the body but also that the pineal gland was the 'seat of the soul'.

Now the problem with this view is pretty much everything. First, the pineal gland is a light sensitive organ that releases melatonin and helps regulate your circadian rhythm. If the pineal gland was the place where 'it all came together' and is the 'seat of the soul' then this Cartesian Theater is easily shown fallacious by Daniel Dennett and is no better than the Homunculus Argument. To put it briefly, this view leads to an ad infinitum dilemma. The second problem comes from the interactionist perspective: How can a non-physical mind, that can exist independent of the body, interact with the physical at all? This problem still plagues the dualist's position.

Epiphenomenalism is another form of dualism in that it tries to solve the interactionist problem by posing that the mind cannot and does not interact with not only the brain/body but nothing at all! One can already see the flaws in this point of view in that we know that the mind affects the body. Intentionality, the placebo effect and neural plasticity are just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head. Also this claim does us no good in finding out a way to validate it because it is by definition outside of science. It would be just as equivalent if I claimed that there were 6 epiphenomenal gremlins in the cylinders of my car and since they dont interact with the car it would be as if they werent even there... See, there would be no way to falsify that claim. (Kudos to Dennett for that example). Epiphenomenalism and dualism can be re-stated as the 'ghost in the machine' which is not only fallacious but stops us in our tracks in continuing research.

Quantum Mind is the new-age theory that everyone seems to be conforming to. This is understandable because QM is very interesting and quite mind-blowing which leads a lot of pseudo-philosophers and 'scientists' to make radical claims that quantum mechanics has an important role in consciousness. It's also an attempt to 'save the soul' as some would say (aka Hameroff). However, the idea that the micro can affect the macro on such large scales as brain structures and neurons is utterly incoherent with little or no evidence in support. Entanglement is often cited as correlated with cellular activity but even if that were true diffusion and action potentials, which is the main mechanism for transferring information between neurons, would destroy superposition. "At the cellular level, the interaction of neurons is governed by classical physics." (Koch and Hepp 2006).

The 'Mereological Fallacy of Neuroscience' is a somewhat recent idea put forth by Maxwell Bennett and Peter Hacker which claims that neuroscientists are making conceptual mistakes about their findings. It goes a little further than that but that is the main idea being promoted by them. As much as I wanted to agree with them, and I do think they hit on some important topics, their claims were just as ridiculous as the former examples. Instead of contributing to the problem of consciousness they push it farther away, "The brain is not an organ of consciousness." (Hacker and Bennett). Well then where is consciousness located exactly? The best they could come up with is, "The location of the event of a person's thinking a certain thought is the place where the person is when the thought occurs to him." (Hacker and Bennett). Searle notices the same absurdness when he equates B and H's statement to: thoughts are occuring somewhere in this room. Again we arent progessing with theses types of views.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I've written enough. The main point of all this is to show that we need to treat consciousness as a biological problem, as Koch would say, because otherwise we are left with random claims that cannot be validated or falsified which in turn only impedes our progress at reaching our goal. Although, I'm only interested in the truth so if anyone has any good evidence that the brain and mind are not connected then by all means show. I'll be waiting but I doubt I'll be getting much responses. Thanks for reading.

Some philosophers just don't want the mystery of consciousness to be solved, but I think it was solved a long time ago. We still have more to learn about the functions of the brain, but I believe that we've learned enough to come to a positive conclusion that the mind and the brain are one and the same.

I honestly believe that some of this disagreement is due to differences in cognitive functions between individuals. Some people just find it more difficult to contemplate scientific theories of nature. It's much easier for the human brain to contemplate the nature of reality from a mystical, mysterious, spiritual, or supernatural point of view.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:25 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;70841 wrote:
So isn't our consciousness perceived too... by our consciousness, or so it would seem.

There is no 'our' Consciousness. It is 'Consciousness' that does the perceiving.

Quote:
Are you refuting the obviousness that consciousness is emergent since how can something be emergent if it grounds all being.

What is 'obvious' is that the sun orbits the earth, that the earth is flat and that the world is full of light and color whether we close our eyes or not. If something is 'obvious', that is pretty good evidence that, from a scientific or critically thoughtful Perspective,. it is incorrect.
I, and science, seem to be refuting that "consciousness is emergent", especially as there is no evidence to support the hypothesis of said emergency.

Quote:
I think assigning a ground to anything only begs for a paradox, unless this quote is meant to be taken a little less literally.

There is Consciousness/Mind.
As a 'momentary' awareness within said Consciousness, is the Universe (Conscious perception of Mind).

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

hue-man;70989 wrote:
Some philosophers just don't want the mystery of consciousness to be solved, but I think it was solved a long time ago. We still have more to learn about the functions of the brain, but I believe that we've learned enough to come to a positive conclusion that the mind and the brain are one and the same.

Your 'beliefs' aside (if possible), far from it!
You might wish to critically examine this paper (perhaps you missed it a couple of pages ago) and see if your 'beliefs' are founded in science and logic or not;
Why Neural Correlates Of Consciousness Are Fine,
But Not Enough
KaseiJin

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:51 am
@Holiday20310401,
Within the umbrella of phenomenal consciousness and access consciousness without over restricting them, we can arrive at a seemingly summarized and practical enough position of a core consciousness and extended consciousness.

The former being when second-order neural maps act on and correlate first-order neural maps (which are those of a percieved object/event and the organism percieving). It can be seen as coming into formulation when the brain generates a non-verbal account of how the organism's representation is affected by the organism's processing of an object, and when this process enhances the image of the causative object, thus placing it saliently in a spatial and temporal context.① We can hold the second-order mapping as being 'the knowing.' Core consciousness will result in what has been termed the 'proto-self.' The posteromedial cortex (PMC) is hypthesized as playing a major role here, likely in connection with midline cortical structures.

The latter, extended consciousness, is seen to depend on core consciousness; since it requires (episodic and semantic) explicit working and long term memory. Extended consciousness builds towards the 'autobiographical self,' and encompasses a wide array of brain regions. It holds, along with memory, language and reasoning.

For the level of conscious brain activity we can call consciousness, therefore, it can very well be stated that mental acknowledgment is essential. If the nerve fibers leading from the right foot are cut, the tack that we just stepped on will lead to little result. With eyes fully intact, extremely little, if any at all②, vision will be created with the visual cortex is fully disabled. This also carries across to memory recall (even with inattended factors playing possible roles in certain functions or results of a state of consciousness) in that it is acknowledging content held in the synaptic structure of brain tissue. It would be responsible for self-detection, self-recognition, theory of mind (TOM), as well as that autobiographical self.

Mental acknowledgment, in turn, has its roots in the basic operation of certain brain structures. Certain damage to the agmydala (see here too) will leave one unable to mentally acknowledge fear from other faces, for example, or damage to a certain association area of the parietal cortex causes sensory neglect. The genetical aspect of the 'hard wired' elements of brain build also play a role.

In short then, we need sensory input and its acknowledgment upon which and by which object/event③ memory is formed, which is at the core of self-autobiographical content. All of this very much appears to require integration of systems and brain areas which means a certain level of conscious--where conscious is an adjective which is synonymous with 'alive and active.' To have consciousness, therefore, is to have conscious above a certain level of brain tissue activity, with degree of conscious descending as brain tissue is redistributed or removed, with the total lack of conscious (death) being the final outcome of full removal.

To further support this understanding, I will present a number of cases and situations.

① Damasio, A.R. (1999/2000) The Feeling of What Happens; Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness New York; Harcourt Brace.

② This is to leave margin for some possible 'vision-like' experience through mapping through other brain areas.

③ By object is meant any physical entity (person, animal, thing, place, state of localized pain or emotion) and by event, actions and relationships between and among objects) both currently or recalled.
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:16 am
@nameless,
nameless;70996 wrote:
There is no 'our' Consciousness. It is 'Consciousness' that does the perceiving.

Sorry, meant the plural.

nameless;70996 wrote:
What is 'obvious' is that the sun orbits the earth, that the earth is flat and that the world is full of light and color whether we close our eyes or not. If something is 'obvious', that is pretty good evidence that, from a scientific or critically thoughtful Perspective,. it is incorrect.
I, and science, seem to be refuting that "consciousness is emergent", especially as there is no evidence to support the hypothesis of said emergency.

Emergence does not really solve anything, it doesn't solve the hard problem of consciousness. It's psychological, there's nothing actual about it. But it identifies with the role consciousness has on the system which I doubt can be refuted.

So when you are saying that you and science are refuting the possibility that consciousness is emergent, well what 'actual' aspects are there to be refuted?
nameless

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:26 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;71098 wrote:
But it identifies with the role consciousness has on the system which I doubt can be refuted.

'Consciousness' doesn't affect anything. All 'apparent systems' (linearly perceived 'patterns of context') exist within Consciousness.

Quote:
So when you are saying that you and science are refuting the possibility that consciousness is emergent, well what 'actual' aspects are there to be refuted?

Sorry, I'm not understanding your intended meaning. What does 'actual' mean in this reference? 'Actual' aspects of what, 'Consciousness'?
KaseiJin

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:07 pm
@nameless,
nameless;70996 wrote:

What is 'obvious' is that the sun orbits the earth, . . .

I believe the word that you wanted would have been intuitive, instead of obvious. Which, actually rises a good point; one which I had (honestly) been thinking of using to go into this on a different level of analysis.

It appears to be quite intuitive to ascribe the sudden rush of high alertness and the emotion of fear to a chemical-to-brain result and the reception of the visual content and further cognition (acknowledgment) of that big, fat coiled snake that you have suddenly come upon while out in the bush, to simple brain. It is not, we will have to admit (and especially has history allows us to understand) intuitive to ascribe the warmth and pleasantness of the emotion of love that boils up in our figurative hearts, to simple brain.

As you have highlighted, nameless, the key is knowledge through thorough research, screening, and ration. That is where I encourage further energies spent.

May I assert here, that the 'hard problem' is kind of unnecessary to even deal with, actually. What we each have are neuron and glia cells that are working hard for us...and I have them, you all have them, my three sons have them (and might I add, with a combination of at least 50% of my genetic material in them, so you'd of course expect some similarity in function...you know, the ole 'chip off the old block' type thing). Of course it is totally meaningless to waste time--in our down to earth pratical world of survival--to spend hours trying to think of what it might be like to be a bat...a H. sapein will never know.

But, you see, we all have almost the same brain set up, us H. sapiens. So we (depending on a few matters [which I will bring up later on]) all know what cold is, how Hagendas vanilla ice cream tastes on a summer day, how the sand feels inside our swimsuits after strolling out of the surf. We don't need to try to explain a quale, we know that already. Plus, it's not going to do anything for trying to understand the brain better, or what it does and how it is working (within practical bounds).

I have already shown how consciousness does affect brain, I hope all would read carefully enough, yet provide evidence for statements made when not in agreement, and then we can strive to reach the higher degree of possible correctness for all to see--rather than simply making an assertion.
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:14 pm
@nameless,
nameless;71190 wrote:

Sorry, I'm not understanding your intended meaning. What does 'actual' mean in this reference? 'Actual' aspects of what, 'Consciousness'?

Sorry I always make this stupid association to the system as a whole, and that's what I was referring 'actual' to.

KaseiJin, can you tell me what post number it is which explains how consciousness does affect the brain.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 10:02 pm
@Kielicious,
Here is where I have put two points out on the table towards that understanding. I'm sure we will run across other examples as we go, although I will not deny that in that consciousness is a level of conscious it requires more to having gotten to that level than not. In other words, we will find that a whole lot of conscious is at work reaching that level than we will find of that level working on other levels through andy feed-back-like activity. (although I am arguing that even a single handful is enough to show that epiphenomenalism is not worth keeping active)
0 Replies

memester

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 10:13 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;62360 wrote:
The best they could come up with is, "The location of the event of a person's thinking a certain thought is the place where the person is when the thought occurs to him." (Hacker and Bennett). Searle notices the same absurdness when he equates B and H's statement to: thoughts are occuring somewhere in this room. Again we arent progessing with theses types of views.

On H+B; Good to know where not to waste time ! Thanks for the tip-off.
Kielicious

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:17 pm
@memester,
I think where alot of the confusion (when we talk about epiphenomenalism or another form of dualism) comes from is when we differentiate between the brain and the mind. For when we do the immediate question that arises is: how can the mind affect the brain at all? Well, its simple when you realize that the mind is the brain. The mind is just the state of the brain. Its not something over and above the brain or some non-physical substance that Descartes proposed. The mind and brain are one and of the same and when asserted as distinct or separate from eachother a category mistake has been applied:

Ryle wrote:
A foreigner visiting Oxford or Cambridge for the first time is shown a number of colleges, libraries, playing fields, museums, scientific departments and administrative offices. He then asks 'But where is the University? I have seen where the members of the colleges live, where the Registrar works, where the scientists experiment and the rest. But I have not yet seen the University in which reside and work the members of your University.' It has then to be explained to him that the University is not another collateral institution, some ulterior counterpart to the colleges, labratories and offices which he has seen. The University is just the way in which all that he has already seen is organized.
0 Replies

glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:24 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;62360 wrote:
So I've always been curious as to why some people subscribe to the idea that the mind and brain are not connected. This has always puzzled me because I haven't really seen good, if any, evidence that the two are separate. Now, obviously from an ontological perspective the mind and brain are distinct but to go further and claim that the mind doesn't correspond to the brain seems unwarranted, to say the least. The opposing view (that the mind and brain are connected) seems quite obvious to me and I'll show why...

First example in support comes from everyday experience that anyone can test and experiment with, and that would be trauma of the brain. If you've ever been hit in the head really hard loss of consciousness can ensue. Now you may not want to be the test subject behind that particular experiment so a more painless way of testing this would be to play the 'pass-out game', which I'm sure most of you have heard of. All you do is breath really hard for about 30 seconds then have someone press against you neck to cut off circulation to your brain and tadah! you lose consciousness and pass-out.

Now the more serious examples come from neuroscience and neurosurgery. As unpleasant as it sounds, neurosurgery is conducted under local rather than general anesthesia because the brain lacks pain receptors, which means the subject is still awake when operated on. Stimulation of the brain led neurosurgery to considerable knowledge for mapping the functions of the brain. Localization of brain function began in the 1800s by Paul Brocawho connected language functions to the brain. Electrical stimulation of the motor cortex, performed by Fritsch and Hitzig, in rabbit and dog brain produced movement in the animals which furthered localization of functions within the brain. Additionally, neurosurgeon Wilder Penfield contributed a great deal of our understanding of the mapping of the brain. This list goes on and on, and such knowledge and understanding of the brain has produced ground-breaking machines like BCI's.

Finally, and I hope I'm not preaching to the choir when I say this, but look at drugs. If you still don't think the mind and brain are connected then why would neurotransmitters released and received in your synaptic gap cause distortion to your perception? Again, the connection seems obvious to me, but for those who prefer to avoid the razor the assumptions increase exponentially.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Alternative views:

Dualism which has been made famous by Descartes is the idea that there are two fundamental substances to reality--the physical and non-physical-and the non-physical mind (or consciousness or soul) should be distinguished from the brain. This led Descartes to believe that the mind could not only exist independent from the body but also that the pineal gland was the 'seat of the soul'.

Now the problem with this view is pretty much everything. First, the pineal gland is a light sensitive organ that releases melatonin and helps regulate your circadian rhythm. If the pineal gland was the place where 'it all came together' and is the 'seat of the soul' then this Cartesian Theater is easily shown fallacious by Daniel Dennett and is no better than the Homunculus Argument. To put it briefly, this view leads to an ad infinitum dilemma. The second problem comes from the interactionist perspective: How can a non-physical mind, that can exist independent of the body, interact with the physical at all? This problem still plagues the dualist's position.

Epiphenomenalism is another form of dualism in that it tries to solve the interactionist problem by posing that the mind cannot and does not interact with not only the brain/body but nothing at all! One can already see the flaws in this point of view in that we know that the mind affects the body. Intentionality, the placebo effect and neural plasticity are just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head. Also this claim does us no good in finding out a way to validate it because it is by definition outside of science. It would be just as equivalent if I claimed that there were 6 epiphenomenal gremlins in the cylinders of my car and since they dont interact with the car it would be as if they werent even there... See, there would be no way to falsify that claim. (Kudos to Dennett for that example). Epiphenomenalism and dualism can be re-stated as the 'ghost in the machine' which is not only fallacious but stops us in our tracks in continuing research.

Quantum Mind is the new-age theory that everyone seems to be conforming to. This is understandable because QM is very interesting and quite mind-blowing which leads a lot of pseudo-philosophers and 'scientists' to make radical claims that quantum mechanics has an important role in consciousness. It's also an attempt to 'save the soul' as some would say (aka Hameroff). However, the idea that the micro can affect the macro on such large scales as brain structures and neurons is utterly incoherent with little or no evidence in support. Entanglement is often cited as correlated with cellular activity but even if that were true diffusion and action potentials, which is the main mechanism for transferring information between neurons, would destroy superposition. "At the cellular level, the interaction of neurons is governed by classical physics." (Koch and Hepp 2006).

The 'Mereological Fallacy of Neuroscience' is a somewhat recent idea put forth by Maxwell Bennett and Peter Hacker which claims that neuroscientists are making conceptual mistakes about their findings. It goes a little further than that but that is the main idea being promoted by them. As much as I wanted to agree with them, and I do think they hit on some important topics, their claims were just as ridiculous as the former examples. Instead of contributing to the problem of consciousness they push it farther away, "The brain is not an organ of consciousness." (Hacker and Bennett). Well then where is consciousness located exactly? The best they could come up with is, "The location of the event of a person's thinking a certain thought is the place where the person is when the thought occurs to him." (Hacker and Bennett). Searle notices the same absurdness when he equates B and H's statement to: thoughts are occuring somewhere in this room. Again we arent progessing with theses types of views.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I've written enough. The main point of all this is to show that we need to treat consciousness as a biological problem, as Koch would say, because otherwise we are left with random claims that cannot be validated or falsified which in turn only impedes our progress at reaching our goal. Although, I'm only interested in the truth so if anyone has any good evidence that the brain and mind are not connected then by all means show. I'll be waiting but I doubt I'll be getting much responses. Thanks for reading.

In a dream. You can hit yourself in the head and feel less conscious. In a dream i was once retarded and could hardly move or think. but really my consciousness was coming from the higher form of me in my bed dreaming. We can have the illusion of loosing some consciousness here but that doesnt mean there isnt a higher consciousness that is really controlling you.
KaseiJin

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:09 pm
@glasstrees,
This post is content carried forward from the thread Gospel of Thomas. The reason for bringing it here, is due to consideration for 'on-topicness' there.

I had been in discussion with LWSleeth (as I had also on a thread down below, in this sub-forum) which had become a bit more related to brain matters. Below is the quote (from here) which I am responding to.

LWSleeth;72649 wrote:
Let me bring this exchange to a close by assuring you that I don't believe in anything supernatural, I have a solid understanding of physics and biology, and I accept the powerful role physicalness plays in the human experience. In other words, nothing you have said explaining the effects of the brain on consciousness would I dispute.
(bold and underline mine)

LWSleeth, let me begin here. I fully trust your intention to bring the exchange to a close, because you have done that before. Be that as it may, I would yet entertain the wish that you would continue to reason on the details, especially in light of that last sentence you, yourself, have written, as quoted above !

If what you have written were true (which I will honestly admit, I have a strong inclination to doubt, at the moment) then you would have been able to realize that with extreme attentional focus by cognition--what is being done in Samadhi--you are yet experiencing, and thus your consciousness is yet there...simply the wave pattern is a synchronized (similar to slow wave sleep)...and your experience is an internal event--consciousness does not go wandering off into the air or something, or into other dimensions, or what-have-you.

If what you have written were true, you would realize that when brain material is disarrayed (especially pyramidal neurons in the frontal cortical region; schizophrenia [which can be overcome--Prof. Nash]) or dissolved (as figuratively happens in Alzheimer's Disease ), cognition, long-term memory formation and recall, consciousness state over all, and personality faulter and disintegrate.

You would realize that the far greater bulk of secure evidence leads to the conclusion that a fuller dissolution (as in brain death) leads to a level of conscious that does not fall under the better definition/description of consciousness, and that full decompounding of neural tissue results in the absolute loss of the conglomerate which projected any conscious, and by extension consciousness and personality, knowledge bank, and so forth and so on, in the first place.

Also, if what you have written were true, you would have been able understand the details (not simply the words used in presentation) of what Dennett had been trying to put in a way so as to make a kind of easier pictured scenario--there are not many little 'whole brains' within the brain, but several modules which are conscious (NOT in a state of consciousness) that do interact, compete, and, under 'higher cognition centers' (for lack of words to describe the observations of such) are processed forward, or left to decay (the traces of sensory input and internally produced 'passed back' data).

I invite you, LWSweeth, to look more deeply, therefore, into the matter of consciousness, and the brain that projects it--all the while keeping the benefits of your internal experiences which you achieve through the extreme attentional focus of samadhi practice. Meditation does have benefits. The Dalai Lama has worked with (invited to give at least a couple of talks at meetings/seminars) the Society for Neuroscience about meditating and altered states of consciousness. And, although I do not meditate at the moment (used to, as I've said before) I would suggest the activity for helping with stress control and possibly a few other things (for example compulsive-obsessive syndromes, Tourette's syndromes, etc.).

However, it would be as misleading to assert, and propogate, the idea that an individual's internal brain experience is something that is of some other reality which is not something inside the brain, as it exactly would be to assert, and propogate, the idea that because a schizophrenia's brain build mistakes self-talk for voices from walls, cars, or some god, that walls and cars talk, or that there exists that god which talks to that individual alone.

(And I'll take this opportunity to point out that this is the error of many (not all, some come to understand) of those who have had NDEs; the experience is very real, but of course, it's all real inside that brain, and that's it--an internal reality [just as crazy dreams are...ooo...that girl I was with...I wish she had been a real external part of my life...hee, hee, hee.....])
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:01 am
@Kielicious,
what, then, is the fundamental unit or basis of physical reality? What is the brain made out of? If everything takes place inside the brain, and the brain is matter, what is matter?
salima

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:03 am
@Kielicious,
Quote from Gospel of Thomas #59
"And
for any who tend to think that by lowering conscious level (in other words, thinning the state of consciousness) the brain is able to pick up information carrying particles that are not a part of any physical matter or energy that cannot be picked up at any other time (for whatever strange reason) and store them in the bio-molecular chemical synthesis which is required to form memories"....KJ

okay, let me try and form a question for you.
suppose thoughts were the same as light waves or sound waves in the sense that though they are not physical, they have some form, whether you want to call them energy or what. in fact, that is what i thought they were, rather than impulses generated by or in the brain (either primarily or secondarily as a result of some stimulus to a part of the organism) that travel along the nerves. in fact, why cant thoughts be both?

in that case they could be picked up out of the air if you had the appropriate receiver-i mean why not? science may some day invent one-great tool in the war against terror-but i think the brain may be that receiver. we just dont know how to use it.

and you seem to be swayed by the idea that one would have to alter their state of consciousness before that would happen-so imagine then that it might happen in any normal or abnormal state of consciousness-awake, dreaming, alpha, theta, beta, whatever you want to call all the conditions known to science. but that would be abominable, we couldnt manage if we could hear every thought there was, past present and future, from anywhere on the planet, etc. so there would have to be a filter of sorts to keep them in the waiting room so to speak. then based on their importance they would be allowed to enter or shown the door.

maybe that is the reason for people hearing talk in their heads that no one else hears and science says it is only going on in their brain. maybe there is a mechanism that is not operating that is supposed to keep that noise in another area of consciousness (or the brain, whichever way you want to look at it).

obviously reaching a certain state of consciousness if you receive impressions or hear thoughts...how would you know whose they were? how would you know if they were genuine or some trick being played on you by a short circuit in your brain? i think if you could compare what you heard with what other people say they heard when they reach the same level of consciousness would be most useful. if you hear and sense the same thing that hundreds of other people have heard, since ages ago as well in the present day, and in all sorts of different civilizations-wouldnt you rather suspect it might be coming from somewhere else other than the brain that sits in your own skull?

so my question to you is, do you believe anything i have said in this post is impossible in the light of the working of the brain as you know it? i hope you can forgive my lack of knowledge of technical terms and if my analogies are faulty, please explain to me.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 04:11 am
@Kielicious,
Materialism is the belief that everything is reducible to matter. So of course the materialist view is that mind is a byproduct of the brain (=consciousness is biological). The brain is something you can examine. In the materialist, or naturalist, view, reality is what you examine through the microscope and the telescope. And you can surely demonstrate that without the brain, no consciousness exists, so it seems to have empirical support. Whack somebody on the head, no consciousness. Do a split-brain operation, observe a patient with damage to this or that part of the brain, and correlate the effect on their consciousness. It is quite simple.

But then, with a TV turned off, there is no television show, either. Yet TV shows are not produced by the television, they are only transmitted by it. Take out the blue gun, for example, and the colours will not display properly. Unplug the television and you will see nothing.

While it is certainly the case that for this or that subject, if the brain is non-functional, then there is no consciousness, why therefore assume that consciousness is something that occurs only within the individual brain? It might be considered that consciousness is actually a collective phenomena or structure and that in some sense it is also external to the brain (and the individual mind). Logically, this is supported by the fact that the structures which determine intellectual ability, such as language, spatial reasoning, and number, not to mention the many years of extra-somatic conditioning that occurs with humans after they are born (or culture), and which shapes their consciousness, are not the product of this or that individual brain but instead have shaped the brain.

Indeed they provide the structures by which consciousness is able to recognise and operate within the world and society. And without these structures - or forms - consciousness could not exist. Bring a child up with wolves, they will run around on all fours and bark. Deprive them of all sensory simulation, they will not even develop consciousness (hard to verify, I admit.) Yet the brain might be functionally quite intact (albeit atrophied). The brain is working, but consciousness has not developed nomally, or is absent, for reasons that have nothing to do with brain function.

For an example of the way in which the consituents of consciousness are neither biological nor internal, let us consider number.

I am sure we don't invent number. Numbers must be independent of particular minds because they are common to all who think. In coming to grasp them, consciousness cannot convert them into its possessions or alter them. Also the mind discovers rather than forming or constructing them, and its grasp of them can be more or less adequate. For this reason, numbers cannot be part of consciousness' own nature or produced by consciousness out of itself. They must exist independently of individual human minds.

Yet numbers are not material objects, and certainly not 'biological'. They are eternal and immutable (leaving aside for a moment questions of conditions at the singularity and other speculations). Certain numerical objects, such as prime numbers, could not exist, because all existing things can be divided, and prime numbers cannot be. They therefore cannot be perceived by means of the senses, but only by reason.

Consider also our grasp of natural laws. We can make predictions about how nature will operate and then test the predictions by experiment. If the predictions are falsified, we change our formulation of the laws. In this way, the law of nature must be higher than reason, because by it, reason is judged. Yet only by virtue of reason are we able to grasp it. And this is because reason is also the outcome of the operation of natural law. But again natural law is superior to reason.

On these grounds, I dispute that either natural laws or numbers are 'in our minds'. Certainly our minds grasp them, but they are not therefore a product of the brain. Yet consciousness cannot function effectively without such structures.

Now let us consider the evolution of consciousness. Certainly as human intelligence has evolved, so too has its ability to calculate and grasp abstract concept, to count and to discover natural law. Were early humans unable to count or predict the movements of the herds then presumably they would not have survived. So one can easily see that natural selection would promote intellectual ability, as it was germane to our existence. It will be hard to dispute that intellectual ability - consciousness - has evolved throughout millenia in response to the requirement to recognise abstract quality such as number and natural law. And that this has now given rise to abilities far above and beyond those needed for simple survival.

Therefore our very consciousness has evolved in accordance to the pre-existing intelligibility and order of the natural realm. So you can say that the intelligibility of the Universe must have pre-existed us, in order for our consciousness to work as effectively as it now does. Our intellectual ability evolved in response to the pressures of survival, in other words, the brain structures which supported just this type of consciousness developed through natural selection. As this happened, we realised greater and greater levels of consciousness (a process which is still in progress.) But that of which we are conscious, and to a large extent the means by which we are conscious of it, pre-exists us, and in an important sense 'gave birth' to us.

Therefore, I argue, the brain does not create consciousness. The requirements for consciousness create the brain.

[With acknowledgement to St. Augustine for the argument from numbers and intelligible forms.]
KaseiJin

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:12 am
@salima,
Great posts folks. I'll have to interact with them over a couple of posts due to time pressure here. Please do bear with me. I'll just go in chronological order.

The question you have first posed, jeepers, is a very important one in a real deeply involved, inquring way. I am of the understanding that we could eventually put everything down to potential energy--as far as I know. The reason I never go there, is because it is useless in down-to-earth living, day to day. Also, by going to that level, there is no difference between anything at all...it would all be potential energy, I'd guess.

I'll print out your post, salima, and consider it deeply. One thing that we'd have to keep in mind here, is synaptic connection. The fact that action potentials are electrical currents is one thing, but the actual exchanges across the synaptic clefts are the real workers--not the electrical currents. Also, the synaptic arrangements are extremely complex and are not static either--which is why brains can learn.

Now as for thoughts themselves, I suspect we might have to kind of try and put a working definition on that--maybe. It seems that most commonly folks think of self talk when they think of thoughts, and then after that, non-self talk (non-linguistical) 'notions.' However, we should probably broaden even that out some, because it has been shown (and is quite obvious, really) that communication between structures, while never projected to consciousness, are just as good as those 'notion'-like events.

For example, (and I've touched on it a little, somewhere, earlier) in one case of a number of open brain surgery batteries of tests it was made clear that an area of striatal cortex was communicating to the premotor cortex, and depending on the volume of 'talk' motor events occured or didn't occur. When a low frequency was applied with the probe, the patient reported an urge to move their arm. (Of course patients are kept in a state of consciousness enough to communicate with the surgeons until is it clear that the correct perimeters of a tumor or epliptic source have been found--also their heads are fixed so that they can't move them at all)

When the frequency was increased to a certain threshold, the patient's arms and wrists (a number of patients) moved in a number of fairly complicated manners of turns and bends. The patients of course, did not report any movement, and when asked if they moved, denied it. In other words brain communication between structures produced the act on their own with that information projecting to consciousness. In such operations, the surgeons are very careful, methodologically, to not cue patients in any way.

The event which drew the attention of the motor cortext could, and probably should be considered a thought. Although I'm not fully decided on that; what do you think, salima? However my understanding is that we'd have to conclude that thoughts, almost regardless of our final decision on working definition/descriptiong, are not electrical impulses quite nearly as much as what happens at synapes.

I know I had mentioned it once before, but as we try to pry into paranormal concepts, we loose grip with verifiable observation, frequency, and consistency of report. The idea of the brain being a 'reciever' (if you will) could be thought of as being a kind of old idea which was built up by emotionally charged religious-belief system activities. Seers, prophets, soothsayers, witches, seem to have been granted such 'reciever' quality.

It's very hard, as you might guess, to find any good solid papers on such. I posit that because we can deal with potential energy, there might be something to information carrying particles doing something, but the end result will definitely be a physical event (otherwise we cannot know of it). However, if we were to think of brain material as having that property, it'd seemingly have to have it overall--that is all ganglion would be of a reciever nature. Brain, most clearly, is a basic continuum along the line of ganglion carrying species, and all ganglion would be 'reciever' material. The H. sapien brain build is known enough to show that there are no structures which would be candidates for being a 'reciever unit' within the brain.

One good point there with level of consciousness idea. What we would probably expect with 'reciever' tissue, is that it'd be full-time on line...like the rest of the brain, and it'd have to be noticeable in the several imaging devices. In the brains of deep meditators, for example, nothing out of the ordinary at all can be seen. For that reason, in the portion you had quoted, I asked why such is not seen in normal states of consciousness. And again, as you have mentioned, it would very thinkable (as it is for normal continuiously incoming sensory data) that we'd be able to detect some sort of structural activity doing any screening for such. . . but it's just not there.

The self-talk error has been studied quite well, it is secure enough to say it is an internal brain event. The lack of recognition is usually to be found in fronticortical neuronal misconnection. (almost always associated with schizophrenia, but it can happen on some drugs too [pure mescal will do it]). I'll look over the rest and get back. It's time up, here.

Jeepers, I'll respond on your second post as well, later. I might ask, in the event that you have missed it, to check some earlier posts on consciousness in the thread. Consciousness and conscious overlap, but nested--if we do not have conscious up to a certain level of activity, we do not have consciousness. Also, by the very definition of consciousness, we have to see it as being a brain event--that is because the state of having consciousness equals the state of having and operating on private content.

I'll be back (as soon as I can, but please bear with me if I'm a bit later). Thanks !! KJ
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:27 am
@salima,
salima;72946 wrote:
Quote from Gospel of Thomas #59
"And for any who tend to think that by lowering conscious level (in other words, thinning the state of consciousness) the brain is able to pick up information carrying particles that are not a part of any physical matter or energy that cannot be picked up at any other time (for whatever strange reason) and store them in the bio-molecular chemical synthesis which is required to form memories"....KJ

okay, let me try and form a question for you.
suppose thoughts were the same as light waves or sound waves in the sense that though they are not physical, they have some form, whether you want to call them energy or what. in fact, that is what i thought they were, rather than impulses generated by or in the brain (either primarily or secondarily as a result of some stimulus to a part of the organism) that travel along the nerves. in fact, why cant thoughts be both?

in that case they could be picked up out of the air if you had the appropriate receiver-i mean why not? science may some day invent one-great tool in the war against terror-but i think the brain may be that receiver. we just dont know how to use it.

and you seem to be swayed by the idea that one would have to alter their state of consciousness before that would happen-so imagine then that it might happen in any normal or abnormal state of consciousness-awake, dreaming, alpha, theta, beta, whatever you want to call all the conditions known to science. but that would be abominable, we couldnt manage if we could hear every thought there was, past present and future, from anywhere on the planet, etc. so there would have to be a filter of sorts to keep them in the waiting room so to speak. then based on their importance they would be allowed to enter or shown the door.

maybe that is the reason for people hearing talk in their heads that no one else hears and science says it is only going on in their brain. maybe there is a mechanism that is not operating that is supposed to keep that noise in another area of consciousness (or the brain, whichever way you want to look at it).

obviously reaching a certain state of consciousness if you receive impressions or hear thoughts...how would you know whose they were? how would you know if they were genuine or some trick being played on you by a short circuit in your brain? i think if you could compare what you heard with what other people say they heard when they reach the same level of consciousness would be most useful. if you hear and sense the same thing that hundreds of other people have heard, since ages ago as well in the present day, and in all sorts of different civilizations-wouldnt you rather suspect it might be coming from somewhere else other than the brain that sits in your own skull?

so my question to you is, do you believe anything i have said in this post is impossible in the light of the working of the brain as you know it? i hope you can forgive my lack of knowledge of technical terms and if my analogies are faulty, please explain to me.

Outstanding. :a-ok:

William