Consciousness is a Biological Problem

paulhanke

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:37 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93436 wrote:
Something is causing the wave function to collapse into a particle. This something is consciousness from my perspective. How do I come to this? Well first there is the weirdness of quantum experiments themselves. But I do not rely on this. I just observe. I observe my consciousness create things all day. Consciousness is the creator. One only has to observe.

Now, all of these quantum waves collapsing into things didn't happen over night. It took millions upon millions of years. Consciousness is always busy. It is busy right now creating things all over the place. New things. New thoughts. It is the beginning. One only has to observe.

... but how does the existence today of a creative consciousness imply that consciousness is and always has been any more than the existence today of the earth implies that the earth is and always has been? ...

richrf;93436 wrote:
Alternatively, one can hold on as tight as they wish to spontaneous emergence of everything - including consciousness. Everything becomes spontaneous magic - or God, take your pick.

... I think magic and God are both appeals to causes that are not of this world ... emergence, on the other hand, is entirely of this world ...

richrf;93436 wrote:
As for biology. Biologists have their self-imposed rules. These rules do not allow them to suggest anything may exist other than material things. So they have boxed themselves out of the fun.

Physics on the other hand was forced into looking at these deeper issues by the mathematical equations which implied some extraordinary things such as non-local interaction (entanglement), Delayed-choice, as well as wave/particle duality as well as the wave function collapse.

... I think you may have this backwards - in studying the quantum, physicists don't ponder anything other than the material ... biologists, on the other hand, study the much hairier and wilder (literally!) dynamical aspects of the world ... and I think that your affinity to physics may explain why your metaphysics is more materialistic than mine ... for you, everything is material - matter is either living or non-living, and to make this work you appeal to a universal consciousness to provide the spark that turns non-living matter into living matter ... to me, matter is dead, period - it is rather the relational and contingent dynamics of matter driven within the disequilibria of an expanding universe that gives rise to amazing novelty such as galaxies and solar systems and life and mind ...

---------- Post added 09-24-2009 at 07:43 PM ----------

richrf;93449 wrote:
First there was the singularity (for example), and then there was the Big Bang (possibly). And then, everything began to organize into things - galaxies, solar systems, worlds, species, etc. There is a force that is doing this. I am merely replacing the word force with the word consciousness.

... have you read Eric Chaisson's "Cosmic Evolution"? ... according to his mathematical inquiry, it is the very expansion of the universe itself that would equate to what you are calling a "force" or "conscousness" Smile ...
richrf

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:49 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93451 wrote:
... but how does the existence today of a creative consciousness imply that consciousness is and always has been any more than the existence today of the earth implies that the earth is and always has been? ...

At this time in human evolution there is no way of know what existed at the beginning. We each have our beliefs. I created an image in my mind of consciousness at the center (as it might be with quantum particles, which are essential non-material wave functions), creating things as does the wave functions when they collapse. This is my belief. I don't think there is a way to know at this time.

paulhanke;93451 wrote:
... I think magic and God are both appeals to causes that are not of this world ... emergence, on the other hand, is entirely of this world ...

What emerges is material. However, emergence itself is like pulling a rabbit out of a hat with no one pulling. The word, for me, is nothing more than a placeholder for magic. Emergence? It just happens! Poof! This reminds me of the Dawkins essay where universe magically creates evolution. How? It just decided to. What is doing it is the question.

paulhanke;93451 wrote:
... I think you may have this backwards - in studying the quantum, physicists don't ponder anything other than the material ...

Some do and some don't. The equations raise many questions, and physicists like Bohm, Bell, Wigner pondered them. I am sure there are physicists all around the world who are pondering the weirdness of the equations and what they imply - and what is shown in the labs. The equations force physicists (those who are interested in what it all means), to look for answers.

paulhanke;93451 wrote:
biologists, on the other hand, study the much hairier and wilder (literally!) dynamical aspects of the world ... and I think that your affinity to physics may explain why your metaphysics is more materialistic than mine ...

I have not noticed that on this forum. In fact, the only biologist that I have found interesting is Rupert Sheldrake. In fact, I find him incredibly interesting. Other than that, the only other one who has caught my attention is Dawkins for exactly the opposite reasons.

paulhanke;93451 wrote:
for you, everything is material -

I have to wonder how you inferred this. I am exactly opposite. Everything is both immaterial and material at the same time. Sort of like quanta. One is a denser version of the other.

paulhanke;93451 wrote:
matter is either living or non-living,

This is an open question.

paulhanke;93451 wrote:
and to make this work you appeal to a universal consciousness to provide the spark that turns non-living matter into living matter ... to me, matter is dead, period

Everything is made of quanta (elementary). Like it or not, we are stuck with that. The problem is that its character is not definable. From this, everything is constructed. What is constructing and how? What creates the movement?

paulhanke;93451 wrote:
- it is rather the relational and contingent dynamics of matter driven within the disequilibria of an expanding universe that gives rise to amazing novelty such as galaxies and solar systems and life and mind ...

Yep. It is matter of what is causing the all this, given that it all started with singularity.

paulhanke;93451 wrote:
... have you read Eric Chaisson's "Cosmic Evolution"? ... according to his mathematical inquiry, it is the very expansion of the universe itself that would equate to what you are calling a "force" or "conscousness" Smile ...

Yep, consciousness is expanding and evolving as we speak.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:20 am
@richrf,
richrf;93436 wrote:
Biology has some great ideas with Rupert Sheldrake but their only response is .... (fill in the blank).

morphic resonance - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:56 am
@richrf,
richrf;93445 wrote:
Yes, if we care at all what the concept of self-organizing implies.
Take a pure solution of fatty acids, drop it into some water, and they will self-organize into a micelle. It's simple hydrophobicity. Do it with phosopholipids and they self-organize into a lipid bilayer. Same reason. Elementary physics.
richrf

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 08:02 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;93509 wrote:
Same reason. Elementary physics.

One cannot simply replace one word "magic" with a phrase "elementary physics" and declare an answer. Elementary physics (quantum physics) has nothing to say about the organizing principle. It is open to interpretation - and there are many including Bohr's ( Copenhagen), Wigner (Consciousness), Bohm (Implicate Order of enfolding events and consciousness), Many-universe, etc. The physicists simply admit that they do not know. Some admit that they don't even care. Einstein worked his whole life on this problem.

For some reason biologists are having a really rough time admitting that they do not know, and they want me to play pretend with them.

Rich
Aedes

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:15 am
@richrf,
richrf;93511 wrote:
One cannot simply replace one word "magic" with a phrase "elementary physics" and declare an answer.
Fortunately people who are literate in science don't get confused between the two.

---------- Post added 09-25-2009 at 12:17 PM ----------

richrf;93511 wrote:
they want me to play pretend with them.
You can't read Virgil untranslated if you don't know Latin. And you can't "play pretend" with us if you don't know science.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:22 am
@richrf,
richrf;93455 wrote:
At this time in human evolution there is no way of know what existed at the beginning.

... I think cosmologists like Eric Chaisson might take issue with that ...

richrf;93455 wrote:
What emerges is material. However, emergence itself is like pulling a rabbit out of a hat with no one pulling. The word, for me, is nothing more than a placeholder for magic. Emergence? It just happens! Poof!

... so then, cosmologists like Eric Chaisson are magicians? ... Nobel-prize-winning physicists like Robert Laughlin are magicians? ... biologists like Stuart Kauffman are magicians? ... roboticists like Rodney Brooks are magicians? ... yet some of the more fanciful mathematical flights of the quantum are real? ... you are more of a reductive materialist than I thought ... you're willing to reduce reality to quantum materiality (which simply describes the properties of matter) and claim that any physical description above that is no more than illusion ...

richrf;93455 wrote:
Some do and some don't. The equations raise many questions, and physicists like Bohm, Bell, Wigner pondered them. I am sure there are physicists all around the world who are pondering the weirdness of the equations and what they imply - and what is shown in the labs. The equations force physicists (those who are interested in what it all means), to look for answers.

... why do you presume that this is unique to particle physicists? ... are scientists who study the implications of the equations of chaos theory just morons who are blind to the fact that they're practicing magic? ...

richrf;93455 wrote:
I have to wonder how you inferred this. I am exactly opposite. Everything is both immaterial and material at the same time. Sort of like quanta.

... but isn't quantum mechanics simply a description of matter? ... the discovery that matter isn't quite what we intuited it to be is one of the great achievements of quantum mechanics ... but that doesn't all of a sudden make it not matter - it is still matter by definition ...
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:22 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;93548 wrote:
Fortunately people who are literate in science don't get confused between the two.

---------- Post added 09-25-2009 at 12:17 PM ----------

You can't read Virgil untranslated if you don't know Latin. And you can't "play pretend" with us if you don't know science.

Sorry. You will have to find other biologist to play " Let's pretend we know" with you. All you have is are words or phrases to replace the word "creator" that you personally find acceptable since they do not imply spiritual but of course they are - i.e. "emergence", or "self'-organizing". And you are happy to play that game. And why not?

Rich

---------- Post added 09-25-2009 at 11:36 AM ----------

paulhanke;93552 wrote:
... I think cosmologists like Eric Chaisson might take issue with that ...

I'm sure there are people who disagreement. Disagreement is the motivating force for change.

paulhanke;93552 wrote:
... so then, cosmologists like Eric Chaisson are magicians? ... Nobel-prize-winning physicists like Robert Laughlin are magicians? ... biologists like Stuart Kauffman are magicians? ... roboticists like Rodney Brooks are magicians? ... yet some of the more fanciful mathematical flights of the quantum are real? ... you are more of a reductive materialist than I thought ... you're willing to reduce reality to quantum materiality (which simply describes the properties of matter) and claim that any physical description above that is no more than illusion ...

Scientists get together once a year to congratulate themselves - like the Academy Awards. People are awarded for confirming their own beliefs. I enjoy watching it also. We all want prizes in life. I like getting Thanks on this forum.

paulhanke;93552 wrote:
... why do you presume that this is unique to particle physicists? ... are scientists who study the implications of the equations of chaos theory just morons who are blind to the fact that they're practicing magic? ..

No, they just choose to ignore stuff that may not fit into their beliefs. Above all we are all human.

paulhanke;93552 wrote:
... but isn't quantum mechanics simply a description of matter? ... the discovery that matter isn't quite what we intuited it to be is one of the great achievements of quantum mechanics ... but that doesn't all of a sudden make it not matter - it is still matter by definition ...

No. Quantum physics does not describe matter. It predicts the location and momentum of wave/particles whatever they might be. Other than this, physicists have interpretations of what might be happening - e.g. wave function collapse, Implicate Order, Many-Universe, etc. No one knows.

Rich
Zetherin

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:04 am
@Kielicious,
richrf wrote:

Sorry. You will have to find other biologist to play " Let's pretend we know" with you. All you have is are words or phrases to replace the word "creator" that you personally find acceptable since they do not imply spiritual but of course they are - i.e. "emergence", or "self'-organizing". And you are happy to play that game. And why not?

Self-organization and emergence do not imply creator. How did you get this impression?
richrf

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:36 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;93561 wrote:
Self-organization and emergence do not imply creator. How did you get this impression?

I'm sorry. They imply magic. My bad. It just happens! POOF! Sort of like Dawkins implying that the Universe created it all.

Anyone can use any word they wish for the mysterious. I use consciousness because that is what I am observing is doing the creating within myself. If you want to call it magical self-organization, that is fine with me, or maybe even emergence, like stuff coming out of no where. The only difference is that you happen to like those scientific words and phrases more than you like consciousness or God.

Let's see now. What should we call that which we cannot describe (Logos or the Dao). I know! Let's call it quanta! Good, I feel better now. We have a scientific name for it.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:06 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93570 wrote:
I'm sorry. They imply magic. My bad. It just happens! POOF!

yeah pretty much

self-organization just happens

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/images/content/94838main_8702.jpg

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~scott/Book331/img562.gif
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:31 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93553 wrote:
No, they just choose to ignore stuff that may not fit into their beliefs.

... I'm sorry, but that's where you're dead wrong ... the fundamental belief shared by scientists is that the scientific method is a valid way of understanding the world and ourselves as a community ... all other scientific knowledge is derivative from that method (observe, hypothesize, experiment, repeat) ... as such, scientists impose upon themselves the restriction that they are not free to ignore the results of the scientific method, even if these results don't happen to jibe with their current metaphysics ... there is no cherry picking of scientific results in science ... by the way, since I know how much you dislike being called a quack, thank you for calling me one (since a quack is precisely someone who cherry picks scientific results to fit their beliefs) ...

richrf;93553 wrote:
No. Quantum physics does not describe matter. It predicts the location and momentum of wave/particles whatever they might be.

... "wave/particles whatever they might be" is the current description of matter ...
Zetherin

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:38 pm
@Kielicious,
paulhanke wrote:

... I'm sorry, but that's where you're dead wrong ... the fundamental belief shared by scientists is that the scientific method is a valid way of understanding the world and ourselves as a community ... all other scientific beliefs are derivative from that method (observe, hypothesize, experiment, repeat) ... as such, scientists impose upon themselves the restriction that they are not free to ignore the results of the scientific method, even if these results don't happen to jibe with their current metaphysics ... there is no cherry picking of scientific results in science ... by the way, since I know how much you dislike being called a quack, thank you for calling me one (since a quack is precisely someone who cherry picks scientific results to fit their beliefs) ...

Exactly, what I was trying to articulate earlier. You said it better than I.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@Kielicious,
Yup. But unfortunately, reasonable arguments don't penetrate the closed mind.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 02:54 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93588 wrote:
... I'm sorry, but that's where you're dead wrong ... the fundamental belief shared by scientists is that the scientific method is a valid way of understanding the world and ourselves as a community ...

I agree. You have succinctly articulated your belief. But there are those who disagree. I have found the scientific method inadequate and constraining for the issues I have to confront in life. Others may find it just right. We each try on our own beliefs and see how far it takes us. Clearly, Einstein moved beyond the scientific method in his own belief system, but he knew what was what.

paulhanke;93588 wrote:
all other scientific knowledge is derivative from that method (observe, hypothesize, experiment, repeat) ... as such, scientists impose upon themselves the restriction that they are not free to ignore the results of the scientific method, even if these results don't happen to jibe with their current metaphysics ...

The issue arises when a scientist does not recognize what new assumptions and beliefs that they are entertaining and may also try to impose on other people. First one must recognize their own belief system and then one must recognize when one is attempting to impose that belief system, not matter how much they believe that their belief system is better than any one out there. Religious zealots do this all the time. Do scientists try to impost their belief system? Ask yourself this?

paulhanke;93588 wrote:
there is no cherry picking of scientific results in science ... by the way, since I know how much you dislike being called a quack, thank you for calling me one (since a quack is precisely someone who cherry picks scientific results to fit their beliefs) ...

There most certainly is. Particularly when there is lots of money involved. Scientists are first and foremost human.

paulhanke;93588 wrote:
... "wave/particles whatever they might be" is the current description of matter ...

Yes, for lack of any phrase they are called wave/particles. Just like Daoism calls it the Dao, understanding that that which is named is not really it. Similarly ancient Greeks called it Logos. There is no way to describe it accurately with words or images so we do the best we can. But the quantum equations do not describe it. They merely predict the probability of location/momentum. Bohm, for example, uses the words Implicate Order and eliminates the notion of wave/particle.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-25-2009 at 03:58 PM ----------

Aedes;93611 wrote:
Yup. But unfortunately, reasonable arguments don't penetrate the closed mind.

Now we must inspect who is the zealot who is attempting to impose beliefs on someone else. That person is the one who has the most faith.

Rich
Kielicious

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 03:43 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93511 wrote:
One cannot simply replace one word "magic" with a phrase "elementary physics" and declare an answer. Elementary physics (quantum physics) has nothing to say about the organizing principle.

lol he meant stuff you get taught in grade school, but nice try.

richrf wrote:
It is open to interpretation - and there are many including Bohr's ( Copenhagen), Wigner (Consciousness), Bohm (Implicate Order of enfolding events and consciousness)

we all know you OD on anything that has the word 'quantum' in it.

richrf wrote:
For some reason biologists are having a really rough time admitting that they do not know, and they want me to play pretend with them.

Rich

Not at all.

When Aedes uses the example of fatty acids self-organizing in water, we most definitely know why that happens. The first thing you learn in biology is like dissolves like. Water is a polar molecule and FAs are non-polar so any lipid like oil or butter will not dissolve in water. This is why whenever you put oil in water it doesnt dissolve into it but rather floats around in the water (i.e. hydrophobic). The FAs will have to come together in a 'vesicle like' manner because they cant bind with its surrounding evironment. Its not that mysterious -you just dont understand.
richrf

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 03:47 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;93633 wrote:
fatty acids self-organizing in water,

Thanks for explaining to me the principle of self-organization. I just want to make sure I got it right. It naturally happens. Do you have any other scientific phrases for magic?

You can use all the prose and big words you want, you still have no idea how it happens, all you are doing is telling me what is happening. It is like watching me cross the street and you start using all kinds of big words to describe how I am crossing the street.

I am ambulating here, and ambulating there, and all kinds of cute words. But you still haven't said anything about how or why it is being done.

I will tell you why. It is because by consciousness desires to go somewhere. It is my own intention that is driving the process. Not scientific words to describe the process.

Describing something is not explaining why it is happening. The impetus. What you like to call self-organizing. Now you may not want to credit consciousness. And that is fine. But don't ask me to play pretend with you.

Rich
Kielicious

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 04:49 pm
@richrf,
Rich what are you talking about?

I just told you fatty acids cant dissolve in water because they are hydrophobic. Water molecules are polar; FAs are non-polar; like dissolves like; what dont you understand? You're ascribing things like 'magic' when you know deep down its clearly not. We know why FAs dont dissolve in water and you have just been told three times already. You're clearly becoming delusional. If you have questions just ask, instead of taking everything we've told you and throw it out the window and label it as 'magic'. So for the fourth time:

Me wrote:
The first thing you learn in biology is like dissolves like. Water is a polar molecule and FAs are non-polar so any lipid like oil or butter will not dissolve in water. This is why whenever you put oil in water it doesnt dissolve into it but rather floats around in the water (i.e. hydrophobic). The FAs will have to come together in a 'vesicle like' manner because they cant bind with its surrounding evironment. Its not that mysterious -you just dont understand.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:46 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93625 wrote:
The issue arises when a scientist does not recognize what new assumptions and beliefs that they are entertaining and may also try to impose on other people. First one must recognize their own belief system and then one must recognize when one is attempting to impose that belief system, not matter how much they believe that their belief system is better than any one out there. Religious zealots do this all the time. Do scientists try to impost their belief system? Ask yourself this?

... do you deny that the scientific method has turned out to be the most successful path toward discovery and invention in the history of humankind? ... if you cannot deny this, is it wrong to teach the belief that the scientific method is a valid path toward understanding the world and ourselves as a community? - or would it be more wrong not to? ...

richrf;93625 wrote:
There most certainly is. Particularly when there is lots of money involved.

... first, fudging results to ensure that you maintain your funding because you know the real results will not please the bean counters is not science - it's dishonesty ... second, such dishonesty is always eventually revealed when independent labs try to reproduce the results ... third, this is an act of hiding scientific results for financial gain - it is not an act of cherry picking scientific results to fit one's beliefs ...

richrf;93625 wrote:
There is no way to describe it accurately with words or images so we do the best we can. But the quantum equations do not describe it. They merely predict the probability of location/momentum. Bohm, for example, uses the words Implicate Order and eliminates the notion of wave/particle.

... the mathematics does indeed describe the quantum properties of matter ... that these equations resemble those of both macroscopic waves and particles results in an english-language description of matter as both wave-like and particle-like ... that Bohm has a metaphysics in which matter is neither wave nor particle does not change the mathematical description nor its resemblance to the equations of waves and particles ...
Aedes

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 06:59 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93625 wrote:
I have found the scientific method inadequate and constraining for the issues I have to confront in life.
Your heroes Bohr and Heisenberg wouldn't have contributed a thing without it.

richrf;93625 wrote:
Now we must inspect who is the zealot who is attempting to impose beliefs on someone else.
A mirror might help. I haven't called you a quack, but you've stereotypically and constantly shot down me and my career as being some sort of societal corruption. You've preached your idiosyncratic health practices again and again. You've told us ALL about one sentence written by Descartes, but then told us how we're wrong to look at his other writing to interpret it. You've shot down every science other than 1930s-era science as "magic" and "religion". You've been a bombastic dogmatist, or as you might phrase it, a "zealot".

And though I feel like I'm talking to the wall, let me just clarify that there is nothing "inadequate and constraining" about the scientific method, since it's simply an extension of normal life:
- "Look at that, rocks sink but ice cubes float when you drop them in water."
- "Oh yeah, I see it too!"
- "Yeah yeah, I do too!"
- "Let's do it again 100 times to make sure we're 100% sure."

And therein we have concepts like density and surface tension -- you might call them magic, but I'd call them basic physics. They are also ultimately derived from the properties of atoms, and with surface tension the relationship between electrons, which were the pet particle of both Heisenberg and Bohr.

If you find this basic method of discovery inadequate and constraining, it's only because you're afraid to submit your wild ideas to the corroboration of others.
0 Replies