Consciousness is a Biological Problem

richrf

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:03 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;93636 wrote:
Rich what are you talking about?

I just told you fatty acids cant dissolve in water because they are hydrophobic. Water molecules are polar; FAs are non-polar; like dissolves like; what dont you understand? You're ascribing things like 'magic' when you know deep down its clearly not. We know why FAs dont dissolve in water and you have just been told three times already. You're clearly becoming delusional. If you have questions just ask, instead of taking everything we've told you and throw it out the window and label it as 'magic'. So for the fourth time:

You are just giving names to observed processes. You don't even realize that you are saying nothing new.

Now, I observe someone walking and someone asks me why is he walking? And I answer, he is walking because his legs are moving. That is what you are doing. No, the answer is because he desires (his consciousness) to get some vegetables. It is his consciousness that is motivating everything. Sorry, they didn't teach that to you in biology class, but they will in a class on metaphysics. All you learned in biology class is how to label processes.

Rich

Rich
Aedes

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:07 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93654 wrote:
And I answer, he is walking because his legs are moving. That is what you are doing. No, the answer is because he desires (his consciousness) to get some vegetables. It is his consciousness that is motivating everything. Sorry, they didn't teach that to you in biology class
They did, actually. In medical school too. But we additionally learned how consciousness makes your legs move. Can you answer that one?
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:09 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93642 wrote:
... do you deny that the scientific method has turned out to be the most successful path toward discovery and invention in the history of humankind? ... if you cannot deny this, is it wrong to teach the belief that the scientific method is a valid path toward understanding the world and ourselves as a community? - or would it be more wrong not to? ...

It has been a mixed bag. Review the history of everything that has happened not just what you want to see.

paulhanke;93642 wrote:
... first, fudging results to ensure that you maintain your funding because you know the real results will not please the bean counters is not science - it's dishonesty ... second, such dishonesty is always eventually revealed when independent labs try to reproduce the results ... third, this is an act of hiding scientific results for financial gain - it is not an act of cherry picking scientific results to fit one's beliefs ...

Some are outright dishonest. Most are much smarter than that. And scientists protect each other just like they protect each other on this forum because they are all playing the same game.

paulhanke;93642 wrote:
... the mathematics does indeed describe the quantum properties of matter .

The equations describe a wave function that predicts. In no way do they describe what it actually is. Of course, some scientists say they don't care, and that is fine. In fact, the Heisenberg Principle specifically precludes this. You get infinities under certain circumstances which are impossible to understand.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-25-2009 at 08:10 PM ----------

Aedes;93655 wrote:
They did, actually. In medical school too. But we additionally learned how consciousness makes your legs move. Can you answer that one?

No what you learned was to label and observed process. That which you can see under a microscope. No big deal. Muscles, cells, molecules, atoms, .... quantum? You have no idea what makes that quantum wave function collapse. Or do you? Because that is specially what we are talking about.

Rich
Aedes

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:22 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93656 wrote:
No what you learned was to label and observed process. That which you can see under a microscope. No big deal. Muscles, cells, molecules, atoms, .... quantum?
We actually DID talk about quantum mechanics in medical school in many contexts. It's central to understanding cellular metabolism, ligand-receptor kinetics, membrane polarity, differential chemical effects of enantiomers, not to mention the obvious which is medical imaging devices (POSITRON emission tomography, MAGNETIC RESONANCE imaging, and X-RAY imaging). In fact my wife, who is a radiologist, had to take a board exam in medical physics and her exam was 100% quantum science.

Not that you would have any bloody clue what doctors learn in medical school, since you haven't seen one in 35 years and you think we're just out there to make people fat and then kill them in the hospital.

richrf;93656 wrote:
You have no idea what makes that quantum wave function collapse.
Considering that many physicists don't actually believe "that quantum wave function collapse", I'd surmise that you don't have any idea either.

Hey, Rich, when I took physical chemistry in college, we actually mathematically derived the ideal gas equation (PV=nRT) using multivariable calculus. We then derived nonideal gas equations. I had never understood and appreciated the ideal gas equation, which we use in the intensive care unit for ventilator management, until I actually derived it mathematically.

So here's your chance -- let's see you derive a wave function notation. I'm waiting. Show that you actually understand it, rather than accepting it on blind faith.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:25 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93656 wrote:
ISome are outright dishonest. Most are much smarter than that. And scientists protect each other just like they protect each other on this forum because they are all playing the same game.

... so now we're into conspiracy theories? ... scientists have it out for the common man? ... gee - I thought it was bad enough when you called me a quack ... now you're calling me a liar and a conspirator ... thanks, Rich :disappointed: ...
0 Replies