Consciousness is a Biological Problem

Zetherin

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 09:34 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93218 wrote:
For heaven sakes, I never for a moment thought that what I was doing was scientific! Smile I would think that by know, you would realize that my method is anything but - and I am quite comfortable and pleased with the results in my life. But it is my life and it certainly isn't for everyone. I am an explorer that is observing similarities in differences and differences in similarities and with this creating notions of the nature of Nature. For me, I need no proof - just a fundamental understanding that fits all of the pieces of the puzzle together.

Rich

In this thread the words "biology" and "science" were brought up quite a few times, so I just wanted to make sure.
richrf

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 10:03 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;93219 wrote:
In this thread the words "biology" and "science" were brought up quite a few times, so I just wanted to make sure.

Let me categorically state that none of my opinions or beliefs are in any way reliant on the scientific method. In fact, very little if any aspect of my life incorporates the scientific method. My view of life is much more akin to an artist or a philosopher such as Heraclitus.

Rich
Theaetetus

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 10:36 pm
@Kielicious,
This thread is open again.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:26 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93223 wrote:
My view of life is much more akin to an artist or a philosopher such as Heraclitus.

... ah, then you understand that the river is not the water, but is rather the flow of water ... so what causes the river to be? ... it's the water that collects on the mountain tops that causes the river to be ... what causes water to collect on the mountain tops? ... the rain causes water to collect on the mountain tops ... what causes the rain to be? ... the oceans and seas that fill the sky with clouds causes the rain ... what causes the oceans and the seas to be? ... the river that feeds them causes the oceans and the seas to be ... so you see, the river is it's own cause ... it's pretty amazing what open thermodynamical systems can cause themselves to be ... I'm really happy I'm (a biological) one Smile ...
Zetherin

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:44 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93366 wrote:
... ah, then you understand that the river is not the water, but is rather the flow of water ... so what causes the river to be? ... it's the water that collects on the mountain tops that causes the river to be ... what causes water to collect on the mountain tops? ... the rain causes water to collect on the mountain tops ... what causes the rain to be? ... the oceans and seas that fill the sky with clouds causes the rain ... what causes the oceans and the seas to be? ... the river that feeds them causes the oceans and the seas to be ... so you see, the river is it's own cause ... it's pretty amazing what open thermodynamical systems can cause themselves to be ... I'm really happy I'm (a biological) one Smile ...

But then from your thermodynamical cycle spawns the chicken and the egg question! Which came first, the river which feeds the oceans, or the oceans which feed the rivers?

Then you have Pathfinder which is essentially asking what created the chicken and the egg, which only leads to more questions.
richrf

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:49 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93366 wrote:
so what causes the river to be? ... i

The evolution of consciousness which created it and everything else over hundreds of millions of years. Consciousness is that which created your post. It creates much more if you look around. But consciousness lies outside realm of biology. It cannot be measured with today's instrumentation but it can be observed. Just observe yourself think of a response to this post. It is your consciousness being creative.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:02 pm
@Kielicious,
an emergent phenomenon of many non-living processes
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:40 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;93370 wrote:
But then from your thermodynamical cycle spawns the chicken and the egg question! Which came first, the river which feeds the oceans, or the oceans which feed the rivers?

Then you have Pathfinder which is essentially asking what created the chicken and the egg, which only leads to more questions.

... the water came first ... and facilitated by dynamic thermal gradients due to the uneven influx of solar energy across a rotating planet, an ordered system spontaneously emerged ("nature abhors a gradient" - ) ...
Zetherin

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:51 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93383 wrote:
... the water came first ... and facilitated by dynamic thermal gradients due to the uneven influx of solar energy across a rotating planet, an ordered system spontaneously emerged ("nature abhors a gradient" - ) ...

Which is a perfectly acceptable answer for me, but others don't seem content. They'll ask, "What started the facilitation by dynamic thermal gradients due to the uneven influx of solar energy across a rotating planet". After answering, the person will continually ask "why", leading to infinite regress.

My point is elaborated above, if you've been following the thread.

PS: Ignore the chicken and egg analogy, it clearly doesn't fit well.
paulhanke

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:14 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93372 wrote:
But consciousness lies outside realm of biology.

... I suppose it depends upon how you define "consciouness" ... that is, if you define the solar system to exhibit "consciousness" (and on the evolutionary path toward human consciousness), then yes - consciousness lies outside the realm of biology ... but isn't "consciousness" then more or less a synonym for "open thermodynamic system"? (or do you also attribute to the solar system the ability to ponder its own navel?) ...

---------- Post added 09-24-2009 at 02:01 PM ----------

Zetherin;93385 wrote:
Which is a perfectly acceptable answer for me, but others don't seem content. They'll ask, "What started the facilitation by dynamic thermal gradients due to the uneven influx of solar energy across a rotating planet". After answering, the person will continually ask "why", leading to infinite regress.

... that's why I was trying to take the focus off of substance and put it onto flow ... for a river, substance is relatively incidental - it is the flow that truly defines it ... the same can be said for life and mind ... we humans are self-perpetuating living conscious beings that flow through and are sustained by the world of energy and matter ... that is, over time every molecule (if not every cell) in our bodies is eventually replaced as we continuously gorge on free energy ... in this limited sense, life and mind do transcend matter ... so to dive down into "What started the facilitation by dynamic thermal gradients ..." would be to blow right past what's relevant ... to understand life and mind you don't need to understand how thermodynamic gradients initially came about - you only need to observe that they in fact exist and understand how thermodynamic gradients lead to the emergence and evolution of self-perpetuating beings through relational dynamics of ever-increasing (and historically contingent) structural complexity ... stated another way, if you think that particle physics will provide fundamental (as opposed to incidental) insight into life and mind, I doubt that you're even in the right ball park ...
odenskrigare

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 04:15 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;93385 wrote:

recursively ask why? or how? enough and eventually you will come up with "idk"

this thread is in two camps: those who know that they don't know, and those who think that they do
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 05:36 pm
@Kielicious,
Let me ask the question this way:

What is the body and brain without the life force in it? Is it simply the end of a biological cycle? If that is the case, than what was the actual beginning of that cycle?
odenskrigare

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 05:39 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;93419 wrote:

What is the body and brain without the life force in it?

define "life force"

none of this please:

http://enterthecircle.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/obi-wan-kenobi-01-large.jpg
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:03 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;93419 wrote:

What is the body and brain without the life force in it?

A lawyer might say: "I object -- assumes facts not in evidence!!!"

What is a car without the vehicular force in it?

Pathfinder;93419 wrote:
what was the actual beginning of that cycle?
The defining unit of life is the functioning cell, which can be described based on its own constituents. This holds true for bacteria up through neurons. Is it a "life force" that keeps a bacteria working? Or is it ATP and a terminal electron receptor?
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:32 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93389 wrote:
... I suppose it depends upon how you define "consciouness" ... that is, if you define the solar system to exhibit "consciousness" (and on the evolutionary path toward human consciousness), then yes - consciousness lies outside the realm of biology ... but isn't "consciousness" then more or less a synonym for "open thermodynamic system"? (or do you also attribute to the solar system the ability to ponder its own navel?) ...

Something is causing the wave function to collapse into a particle. This something is consciousness from my perspective. How do I come to this? Well first there is the weirdness of quantum experiments themselves. But I do not rely on this. I just observe. I observe my consciousness create things all day. Consciousness is the creator. One only has to observe.

Now, all of these quantum waves collapsing into things didn't happen over night. It took millions upon millions of years. Consciousness is always busy. It is busy right now creating things all over the place. New things. New thoughts. It is the beginning. One only has to observe.

Alternatively, one can hold on as tight as they wish to spontaneous emergence of everything - including consciousness. Everything becomes spontaneous magic - or God, take your pick. But to me this is too far fetch, just as my ideas may seem to far fetch for you.

Amazingly, (or maybe not), the ancient Greek and Eastern philosophers intuited exactly the same thing as I intuited, by simply observing.

As for biology. Biologists have their self-imposed rules. These rules do not allow them to suggest anything may exist other than material things. So they have boxed themselves out of the fun.

Physics on the other hand was forced into looking at these deeper issues by the mathematical equations which implied some extraordinary things such as non-local interaction (entanglement), Delayed-choice, as well as wave/particle duality as well as the wave function collapse. The only rule physics lives by are the equations. And the equations are telling them that something odd is happening in the Universe that needs to be investigated. Ditto for the expanding universe and dark matter. That is why I like physics so much more. They are less constrained by artificial rules - though within any field there are always those who are so quick to pull the trigger and call an idea quackery.

Biology has some great ideas with Rupert Sheldrake but their only response is .... (fill in the blank).

Rich
paulhanke

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:58 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;93419 wrote:

What is the body and brain without the life force in it? Is it simply the end of a biological cycle? If that is the case, than what was the actual beginning of that cycle?

... do we need to ask similar questions for all self-organized dynamical systems that have emerged in the universe? ... for example, the galaxy? ... the solar system? ... the earth? ... the ecology? ... each of these systems had beginnings that were just as subtle as the beginning of life ... when would we begin to recognize a hydrogen cloud as the beginnings of our solar system? - when a couple of stars pass by and perturb the cloud into a spin? when the spinning of the cloud speeds up and it flattens out into a disk? when clumps start appearing in the disk? ... that is, what was the actual beginning of the solar cycle? ... whatever it was, it was subtle and nothing like the solar system as we know it today ... and I would expect something similar for the life that has been passed down to us from its subtle beginnings four billion years ago ... so again: do we need to ask the question for each material manifestation in the universe what it is without the <insert name here> force in it? ... or are we just singling out life as somehow special and different from everything else in the universe? (which sounds reminiscent of the claim that man is not an animal) ...
richrf

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:59 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93444 wrote:
... do we need to ask similar questions for all self-organized dynamical systems that have emerged in the universe? ...

Yes, if we care at all what the concept of self-organizing implies. What is organizing itself?

Rich
paulhanke

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:11 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93445 wrote:
Yes, if we care at all what the concept of self-organizing implies. What is organizing itself?

... when you create a thermal gradient in a liquid, are you telling the liquid that it should organize into Benard cells? - or does the liquid self-organize into Benard cells due to its own dynamics? ... when stars pass and perturb a gas cloud, are they telling the gas cloud that it should organize into a solar system? - or does the gas cloud self-organize into a solar system due to its own dynamics? ...
richrf

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:28 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;93446 wrote:
... when you create a thermal gradient in a liquid, are you telling the liquid that it should organize into Benard cells? - or does the liquid self-organize into Benard cells due to its own dynamics? ... when stars pass and perturb a gas cloud, are they telling the gas cloud that it should organize into a solar system? - or does the gas cloud self-organize into a solar system due to its own dynamics? ...

I am all for entanglement of consciousness and matter. However, I think it is time, to put consciousness back in charge again. (I have no idea how we ever came to the point of analogizing ourselves to billiard balls).

First there was the singularity (for example), and then there was the Big Bang (possibly). And then, everything began to organize into things - galaxies, solar systems, worlds, species, etc. There is a force that is doing this. I am merely replacing the word force with the word consciousness. How do I dare to do this? By simple observation. I observe my consciousness organizing these words, my desk, my thoughts, etc. It is the organizing force.

Rich
0 Replies

Hermes

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:36 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93436 wrote:
Something is causing the wave function to collapse into a particle. This something is consciousness from my perspective. How do I come to this? Well first there is the weirdness of quantum experiments themselves. But I do not rely on this. I just observe. I observe my consciousness create things all day. Consciousness is the creator. One only has to observe.

Now, all of these quantum waves collapsing into things didn't happen over night. It took millions upon millions of years. Consciousness is always busy. It is busy right now creating things all over the place. New things. New thoughts. It is the beginning. One only has to observe.

Alternatively, one can hold on as tight as they wish to spontaneous emergence of everything - including consciousness. Everything becomes spontaneous magic - or God, take your pick. But to me this is too far fetch, just as my ideas may seem to far fetch for you.

:nonooo:

Rich, you talk about all this quantum physics like its a reality; they are mathematical models that describe a reality that is still fundamentally unknown. The wave function collapse, for example, is a description of what appears to happen and experimentally it has been validated. But many (most?) physicists I'm sure would concede that what is happening in actuality - what is "collapsing", and why - is still up in the air, hence the unresolved paradoxes of quantum physics that have been around for decades now.

Photons are not "waves" in any literal sense, it just happens that the mathematical model of a wave happens to describe their behaviour as far as experimentation has observed. The "wave" simply means that the probability of "finding" the photon at any given point along its path varies cyclically, and two waves out of phase can cancel each other out. What the photon actually IS, we don't know.

You say it took millions of years for this to come about... well I hate to break the news, but, again, science and rational thought would say otherwise; wikipedia says that photons came into existence about 1 second after the big bang (or at least, dominated as force carriers)...

Wikipedia wrote:
A similar process happened at about 1 second for electrons and positrons. After these annihilations, the remaining protons, neutrons and electrons were no longer moving relativistically and the energy density of the Universe was dominated by photons (with a minor contribution from neutrinos).

And then they've been collapsing them there wavefunctions for the past 13 billion years. Do you think consciousness has been around that long?

Quote:
Amazingly, (or maybe not), the ancient Greek and Eastern philosophers intuited exactly the same thing as I intuited, by simply observing.

Hey, give us some names!

Quote:
As for biology. Biologists have their self-imposed rules. These rules do not allow them to suggest anything may exist other than material things. So they have boxed themselves out of the fun.

Physics on the other hand was forced into looking at these deeper issues by the mathematical equations which implied some extraordinary things such as non-local interaction (entanglement), Delayed-choice, as well as wave/particle duality as well as the wave function collapse. The only rule physics lives by are the equations. And the equations are telling them that something odd is happening in the Universe that needs to be investigated. Ditto for the expanding universe and dark matter. That is why I like physics so much more. They are less constrained by artificial rules - though within any field there are always those who are so quick to pull the trigger and call an idea quackery.

Biology has some great ideas with Rupert Sheldrake but their only response is .... (fill in the blank).

As for biology? Biology takes a given level of reality from which to start; atoms and compounds, and builds from there. Since physics has burrowed deeper into reality, so to speak, this grounding is now stable and the subject can be explored safely without fear of a massive "paradigm shift" (ooh I hate that term!).

Physics, or the quantum mechanics you are talking about, is still trying to work out its foundation, but that doesn't mean it's open to wild speculation.
0 Replies